dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-09-13 14:25:23: HBO's still trying desperately to justify avoiding a direct-to-consumer HBO broadband video service. ..

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Disagree

The number of real cord-cutters is pitiful compared to the number of pay TV subscribers (125k vs. ~100 million).

I highly doubt that HBO is losing any sleep over not offering a standalone solution to people like me who cut the cord because we don't want to pay a ton of money for content.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

inteller

well they are trialing this in Scandanavia

I'm sure those trials will go swimmingly well then they will slowly expand to the rest of Europe and eventually the US. They are going to trial this where their cable relationships are the weakest.
mdlund0
join:2011-08-02
Lawrence, KS

mdlund0

A service that I might buy...

I might be willing to spend money on a stand alone HBO service... I do not and will not spend money on an HBO cable package. Instead of wasting my money to see repeat upon repeat of stale movies occasionally interrupted by a show (e.g. Sopranos, Game of Thrones, etc) that I want to watch, I just get those shows from NetFlix, and I'm patient enough to wait for that to happen (while others pirate). A stand alone service that gives me access to the content that I want, when I want it would be worth something to me. So, sure, take my money, HBO, if you're willing. You're not getting any money from me right now, and a stand-alone service might get you some. I'm watching your content regardless.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

Mospaw

I don't currently have HBO in any form...

...but I would probably pay a reasonable monthly fee for access to HBO Go's content as a stand alone product. They have some compelling shows.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Well it's not just HBO

One thing to recall is that there are like 4-5 companies that own all of the cable that we see, and that HBO is owned by Time Warner who not only owns HBO but a crapload of other cable channels AND TWC. Now even though they are separate legal entities, this makes no mind to reality in that they are both vested together.

HBO subscribes to the channel model, and if they break that then their channel immediately collapses. So to do this they need to charge a significant premium to what you could get with cable, and that means $16-$20/month and compensate said channel to offset their "losses" (meaning captured audience distribution).

But this is a disconnect. How many HBO shows are there to watch? Say I only like GOT. I can get that from itunes for $30 for as long as I want. Ok, thats less than $3/mo.

They can pull all of their content and play trickery, but if they were smart they offer the "library" at say $10/mo, and the going rate for a subscription to the new shows, say $30/year. Case solved.

For me I don't like any current shows, but I do like a lot of past ones, and I would pay $5 month to access old stuff but only if they included some value rather than their old library. For $7 at netflix or free w/ Amazon I get way more value. That's the problem, there is little economic value to a one off paywall.

They are so entrenched in the broadcast consumption model, nobody gave them the memo on you pay for what you watch. And just last month I had to rejigger my cablecard because now Verizon needed to add copy flags, which BTW was added for the HBO Politburo. So I had to waste 30 minutes of my time, and I don't even have HBO. They are busy adding DRM when I think that boat was proven to sail a long time ago in the music biz... Oh the arrogance.
jmr50
join:2000-05-14
New York, NY

1 recommendation

jmr50

said by elefante72:

One thing to recall is that there are like 4-5 companies that own all of the cable that we see, and that HBO is owned by Time Warner who not only owns HBO but a crapload of other cable channels AND TWC. Now even though they are separate legal entities, this makes no mind to reality in that they are both vested together.

Time Warner and Time Warner Cable have no more connection than Time Warner and Dish. I have no idea with "this makes no mind to reality in that they are both vested together" means, but they are two completely separate entities and have been for several years.
delltechkid
join:2004-11-09
Hermitage, TN

delltechkid

The math doesn't work?

How is that? They charge $15 per sub on cable and the cable co gets a cut. If they charge $15 per sub online without the cable co cut, how are they not able to make the numbers add up?
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

1 recommendation

ctggzg

Premium Member

Speaking of trying to justify things...

Funny how people try to use a company's business model to justify stealing. The anti-authority, pro-piracy bias here is incredible.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

said by ctggzg:

Funny how people try to use a company's business model to justify stealing. The anti-authority, pro-piracy bias here is incredible.

it may be, but what HBO is doing is just plain stupid. Give us a legal alternative, and many would use it. People want their content, and they will get it, legal or otherwise.
rick0204
join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204

Love HBO GO but only if under $10.00

My cable company - Cablevision - was one of the last to sign on for HBO GO. I cancelled my HBO subscription years ago to go all Netflix. I recently tried HBO GO and I love it. The HD is much better then the live channels and the library is very good. I watched every episode of my favorite show again - "Six Feet Under". Some of the episodes I never watched in HD or at all. Unfortunately Cablevision wants $14.95 for HBO and HBO GO. That is just too much for the service, even when GOT is showing new episodes. A stand alone HBO GO for $9.95 would be perfect. The Roku community has been asking for this since the start of HBO GO. I love my Roku and would love to add HBO GO, but only if it is under $10.00.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco to inteller

Premium Member

to inteller

Re: well they are trialing this in Scandanavia

said by inteller:

I'm sure those trials will go swimmingly well then they will slowly expand to the rest of Europe and eventually the US. They are going to trial this where their cable relationships are the weakest.

I don't think their refusal to offer standalone service has anything to do with being legacy and their launch in Scandinavia proves that. I wouldn't be surprised if their contracts with cable companies simply forbid it. HBO can't offer a service that they are not allowed to sell. They have to keep the cable companies happy. As much as internet blogs want to say otherwise, HBO needs serious money and serious money can only be made by big contracts with big companies. Cable companies.

I really don't think HBO could make enough money from HBO GO as a standalone service if they lost the money made by cable companies. Now in a few years, perhaps. But for now the internet video is not there.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS to delltechkid

Premium Member

to delltechkid

Re: The math doesn't work?

You have to realize, if they do offer a standalone service, that they have to hire employees to support it. They have to also hire their own accounting/business employees to support the people who are curious, have issues, need to pay, etc. Not to mention, paying for servers needed, security for the sensitive billing information (which also will require more personnel) etc..

That being said, I still think they should offer it.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to delltechkid

to delltechkid
On cable, HBO provides the programming stream(s) to the broadcaster and the broadcaster handles distribution to subscribers.

If HBO goes stand-alone over the internet, they will need to lease services from content distribution networks or build a content distribution network of their own.

So doing it themselves is not necessarily as obvious a choice as it may seem.

FailOverflow
join:2011-02-23
united state

FailOverflow to rick0204

to rick0204

Re: Love HBO GO but only if under $10.00

And I'd love a brand new Porche 911 Turbo, but only for $13,000.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

Re: Disagree

HBO would be foolish to rest on their laurels. The halls of business are littered with others who made the same mistake. Polaroid, Kodak, GM (propped up only by government fiat, no pun intended), Nokia, RIM (not dead but certainly circling the bowl) & to a lesser extent Sony have all seen lofty heights only to subcombe to a lack of vision, a failure to innovate, and the failure to track market trends.

Are cord cutters a small minority right now? Certainly. In a down economy, with more options available every day it would be smart to cater to this growing sector of users.

Traditional cable service isn't going away, but change within the industry is inevitable given the alternate content delivery options people now have access to.

Just ask anyone who used to sell compact discs what iTunes has done to their business.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to ctggzg

to ctggzg

Re: Speaking of trying to justify things...

said by ctggzg:

When the company itself says they'd rather put up with 25 million people illegally downloading Game Of Thrones than offer HBOGo as a stand alone product my sympathy for them no longer exists. So in this case I am not going to admonish anyone stealing HBOs content since they've basically endorsed it.

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned) to rick0204

to rick0204

Re: Love HBO GO but only if under $10.00

said by rick0204:

My cable company - Cablevision - was one of the last to sign on for HBO GO. I cancelled my HBO subscription years ago to go all Netflix. I recently tried HBO GO and I love it. The HD is much better then the live channels and the library is very good. I watched every episode of my favorite show again - "Six Feet Under". Some of the episodes I never watched in HD or at all. Unfortunately Cablevision wants $14.95 for HBO and HBO GO. That is just too much for the service, even when GOT is showing new episodes. A stand alone HBO GO for $9.95 would be perfect. The Roku community has been asking for this since the start of HBO GO. I love my Roku and would love to add HBO GO, but only if it is under $10.00.

It's people like you that is why HBO won't change. HBOGo if offered as stand alone would not be cheaper than the $15 cable charges. And really if you're not paying for cable, $15 is a good deal. Quit expecting something for nothing.

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium Member
join:2001-05-09
Muncie, IN

WireHead

Premium Member

No go HBO

I don't have HBO or HBO GO. If HBO GO was available without needing cable I would definitely sign up. Like it was mentioned before I'm not missing out on content. Provide me an alternative way that is legal and I will come. Otherwise pbbt...

Torkkkkkk L
@frontiernet.net

Torkkkkkk L

Anon

Some responses here are immediately suspect

Who would REALLY step up to defend HBO and decry "piracy" on this forum? Come on. How much do you get paid to do that?
apple4ever
join:2002-06-16
Coatesville, PA

apple4ever to Mospaw

to Mospaw

Re: I don't currently have HBO in any form...

I'm the same. I don't have HBO, but I'd get HBO to go if it came with no ISP or cable requirements.
macallah
join:2003-01-22
Wichita Falls, TX

macallah

Lowest HBO GO $31/month?

The cheapest way to get HBO GO that I know of is $31/month. Essentially a minimum package from Dish $14.99 (welcome pack) and HBO $16.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
Tulsa, OK

inteller to silbaco

to silbaco

internet video is not there? wtf? don't tell Netflix and Hulu that.
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

tanzam75 to N3OGH

to N3OGH

Re: Disagree

said by N3OGH:

Just ask anyone who used to sell compact discs what iTunes has done to their business.

Compact discs and iTunes? Well, the cable company is the compact disc. HBO is the record label. Ask the record labels what MP3 players have done to their business.

Innovation doesn't always increase the slice of the pie. Sometimes it transfers value irreversibly from the company to the consumer, or from one industry to another.

Kodak and Fuji, for example, spent a great deal of money in digital photography R&D. They held many of the seminal patents in digital photography. Fuji produced a digital camera in 1988, and Kodak wasn't that far behind at 1991.

The problem is that they could not find a matching business model. The bulk of the profit in film photography lay in consumables, not in the camera. The bulk of the profit in digital photography was in the camera. They weren't used to this kind of market -- and what's worse, they had to compete against the consumer electronics giants, like Canon and Sharp. Going from a collective 90% of the film market to, say, 20% of the digital camera market would have been an unalloyed disaster even if they'd managed to, as the saying goes, "remain relevant."

The reason that it's called the Innovator's Dilemma is that it really is a dilemma. You don't know in advance whether the brave new world will be more profitable than the old and tired one. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it isn't.
tanzam75

tanzam75 to inteller

to inteller

said by inteller:

internet video is not there? wtf? don't tell Netflix and Hulu that.

Correct, Internet video is not there yet in terms of revenue or profit.

You might, for example, take a look at Netflix's financial results last quarter. It's pretty bloody.

Hulu is privately held, so we do not know how much money it makes.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
Tulsa, OK

1 edit

inteller

Bloody? Netflix was profitable in Q2.
civicturbo
join:2009-11-08
USA

civicturbo

Ummmm

Jesus just buy a Monsoon multimedia vulkano Or a slingbOx and be done with It F@$k HBO's extra charge, have multiple peoPle in the house? Then connect the vulkano to you master bed settop. Charge? You can go cheaPer by buying a tivO premiere w/ lifetime and a cable card is usually only 3/month. Now you have EVERY channel you subscribe to OnTheGo and your whOle DVr library to boot!