dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-09-14 09:30:18: Verizon appears to have confirmed that the iPhone 5 will not support simultaneous voice and data use on their networks, though it will work on AT&T. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next
steven s
Premium Member
join:2002-09-14
Dearborn, MI

1 recommendation

steven s

Premium Member

To keep size down?

How is it that every other Verizon LTE phone can manage simultaneous voice/data with most keeping a thinner profile than the iPhone, but Apple is unable?

Sometimes I think Apple makes their products inconvenient to use simply for the sake of making them inconvenient.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by steven s:

How is it that every other Verizon LTE phone can manage simultaneous voice/data with most keeping a thinner profile than the iPhone, but Apple is unable?

Sometimes I think Apple makes their products inconvenient to use simply for the sake of making them inconvenient.

I read somewhere that it has to do with the antennas in the phone. For better quality, Apple is using two different antennas (note: the term antennas may not be correct), whereas the other phones are using one, and therefore have additional room.

Or, AT&T and Apple may still be in bed.

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

Antenna is the correct word. Other companies use 2 chips and 2 antennas, so one can connect to the LTE while other connect to CDMA. iPhone 5 has 2 antennas but a single chip design so the chip can't run 2 parts of itself at the sametime. Better for battery life but this is one of the limitations as a result.
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

4 recommendations

Dodge

Premium Member

iPhone 5S

Stay tuned for the all new revolutionary iPhone 5S, new features include simultaneous data on Verizon and Sprint, Facetime over LTE on AT&T and a collectible leatherbound edition of the Apple v Samsung lawsuit.

AnonFTW
@northstate.net

AnonFTW to steven s

Anon

to steven s

Re: To keep size down?

said by steven s:

Because the other LTE phones use two basebands (chips), one for LTE and one for CDMA. The iPhone uses the brand new Qualcomm SoC that integrates both basebands on one. That's why battery life on most LTE phones is terrible with LTE active, but Apple can get 8+ hours of battery life with the LTE radio active.

As for all the hoopla, the iPhone 4 and 4S didn't support this on CDMA networks either. The AT&T iPhone 5 has to fall back to 3G to do both, so this isn't a big deal.
wasvznowftr
join:2010-07-13

wasvznowftr to steven s

to steven s
said by steven s:

Which Verizon LTE phones have a thinner profile?

Anubis Prime
join:2001-06-01
Avonmore, PA

Anubis Prime

Hmm.

I have an option at work to get a discount on both Verizon and at&t. I chose at&t.

While I don't have the need to go on the internet while talking on the phone I like the option to do so if I really needed to that .01% of the time.

Is that a limit of CDMA?

The other thing I didn't like about Verizon is the lack of SIM cards. I've had several situations where swapping the card to another phone was lifesaving. The old phone died at night, and I needed a phone. I grabbed an old phone, popped the SIM in, and it worked. I didn't need to go to the store to make it work.

Dest
Bolo
Premium Member
join:2000-03-21
Naperville, IL

Dest

Premium Member

There's no

even on GSM/LTE

there's no LTE data + GSM voice at the same time....

when you do a voice call, LTE get drop,
you DO still get data and voice at the same time, BUT data is handle by the current HSDPA/GSM, not LTE

source
»www.anandtech.com/show/6 ··· support-
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Is anyone really surprised, this is Apple after all

Wow, you mean to tell me the almighty iPhone, the state of the art, bestest phone on the planet can’t do something that my lowly HTC phone can do on 3G on Sprint. The new Evo has no problems doing simultaneous data and voice on Sprints network on CDMA so long as your data connection is EVDO not 1X. I can’t believe the great iPhone can’t do this on 4G, especially when other LTE capable phones from Motorola, Samsung, HTC, LG and others can. But then again the iPhone typically lacks the good stuff. No DLNA, no NFC, no simultaneous data and voice on the CDMA on 4G. I truly feel sorry for those compelled to buy the iPhone too blinded to see that behind that shiny fruit logo is a devices that is behind the times.

AnonFTW
@northstate.net

AnonFTW to Anubis Prime

Anon

to Anubis Prime

Re: Hmm.

The Verizon phone has a SIM, all LTE phones have SIM cards.

The Verizon phone is also compatible with the normal CDMA technologies (EVDO Rev A and B), LTE on Verizon and Sprint, and GSM/HSDPA+ on T-Mobile and AT&T. So basically it can do everything the AT&T phone can do minus SVDO and AT&T LTE.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to SHoTTa35

Premium Member

to SHoTTa35

said by SHoTTa35 :

Antenna is the correct word. Other companies use 2 chips and 2 antennas, so one can connect to the LTE while other connect to CDMA.

My Moto handset can connect to EVDO and do a voicecall at the same time on Sprint..LTE shouldnt have anything to do with it.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

Veloslave

Premium Member

Why?

Because I'm apple dammit!

(can't wait to hear how the fanbois will continue to rationalize this one over time)

As an IT person that finds being able to remote into a server while being on the phone with the client EXTREMELY valuable... not to mention all the casual consumer uses. I cannot believe a company the size of Apple would put out a flagship product of such that doesn't have yesterdays tech...

Of course the first iphoney didn't even have cut & paste MANY years after WinMo did and they spun that just fine so...???

One thing is clear... Apple is the most arrogant manufacture in the world; they use their popularity to tell the consumer what they want instead of the other way around. History and common sense says that is a model that cannot last forever.
Phatty
join:2000-05-10
Saint Louis, MO

Phatty

How important is this feature?

I have an AT&T iphone, and yes I have used this ability once or twice, but overall I hate talking on the phone, and so do most people I know. Majority of communication is TXT/Email/Heytell, and my goal while on any phone call is trying to figure out how to end the call.

With that said I do think this is one of those stupid Apple things because they are always trying to make the device smaller. I don't want a smaller device, my iPhone4 is just fine. I want longer battery life, and more features, and this could be one feature that may have fit if they wouldn't waste time shrinking a device that already fits in the pocket just fine.

AnonFTW
@northstate.net

AnonFTW to Happydude32

Anon

to Happydude32

Re: Is anyone really surprised, this is Apple after all

said by Happydude32:

Wow, you mean to tell me the almighty iPhone, the state of the art, bestest phone on the planet can’t do something that my lowly HTC phone can do on 3G on Sprint. The new Evo has no problems doing simultaneous data and voice on Sprints network on CDMA so long as your data connection is EVDO not 1X. I can’t believe the great iPhone can’t do this on 4G, especially when other LTE capable phones from Motorola, Samsung, HTC, LG and others can. But then again the iPhone typically lacks the good stuff. No DLNA, no NFC, no simultaneous data and voice on the CDMA on 4G. I truly feel sorry for those compelled to buy the iPhone too blinded to see that behind that shiny fruit logo is a devices that is behind the times.

No CDMA phone can do simultaneous voice and data on 3G. You are incorrect about your current phone.
AnonFTW

AnonFTW to swintec

Anon

to swintec

said by swintec:

said by SHoTTa35 :

Antenna is the correct word. Other companies use 2 chips and 2 antennas, so one can connect to the LTE while other connect to CDMA.

My Moto handset can connect to EVDO and do a voicecall at the same time on Sprint..LTE shouldnt have anything to do with it.

Your phone is capable of it, but none of the US CDMA networks support it. See this official answer from Sprint: »community.sprint.com/baw ··· ad/85183

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

2 recommendations

Metatron2008

Premium Member

You're holding it wrong.

You need to hold an android for that feature.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge

Re: iPhone 5S

Pretty sure they don't include this stuff, to later "release it" and act as if they accomplished something phenomenal.

A great example would be MMS...

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Not a deal breaker...

Today I can talk and surf at the same time and I don't think I can ever think of a time where I had to do both. Besides if I am going to talk and surf at the same time I'll just use my MiFi.

I've not made up my mind yet but I am thinking about the iphone5 because I do get tired of the random reboots and horrid battery life. I like to tinker with stuff but there are some times where I just want for something to work and not have to constantly tweak it.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

201X's

This decade will be known as the reverse innovation.. make the crappiest product you can get away with and then improve upon it little by little, while raking in top dollar.. Microsoft is famous for their "BETA TEST" operating systems making them BILLIONS in the 80s and 90s

You could say Apple does this in style asking $600 as msrp for their POS, but this retro innovation trend (no, not making products look like the past, but making a Piece of Shit and then improving upon it little by little and making boatloads of money in the process).

If innovation was bleeding edge all the time, OIL companies would be out of business by now and you'd have virtually free fuel (or at least dirt cheap). People are brainwashed with propaganda to believe in apathy, loyalty and ignorance. What do you think makes up the world today?

The value is in the price you pay, not actually what the product is worth.. Apple, like Microsoft before it preys on apathy, loyalty and ignorance.

Even though oil companies have a virtual monopoly, they're betting that most people won't build or buy themselves an ethanol still to make fuel grade ethanol. The ignorance and apathy is that gasoline can skyrocket to the moon and people are ignorant and apathetic to the fact that they have better choices.. this is where brainwashing and loyalty come in.. so in this respect, Oil companies are not much different than Apple..

BTW, when gas becomes $5 a gallon again, this becomes viable, even if you have to convert your car to ethanol.

»www.microfueler.com/

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to steven s

Premium Member

to steven s

What smartphone is thinner than the iPhone 5?
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to AnonFTW

to AnonFTW
The newer Sprint Android phones can do voice/data at same time even on 3G.

Apple is more interested in form (thinnest phone) over function.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

Veloslave to Phatty

Premium Member

to Phatty

Re: How important is this feature?

Nothing personal... but in my opinion, here we have some fine fanboi rationalization followed by a moment of personal clarity.
said by Phatty:

Re: How important is this feature?...

overall I hate talking on the phone, and so do most people I know....

All hail apple! They can do no wrong! I mean who the heck buys a phone to use it to communicate by voice right?
said by Phatty:

With that said I do think this is one of those stupid Apple things because they are always trying to make the device smaller. I don't want a smaller device, my iPhone4 is just fine. I want longer battery life, and more features, and this could be one feature that may have fit if they wouldn't waste time shrinking a device that already fits in the pocket just fine.

Yes... keep going... you are moving toward the light, keep going!!!

All joking aside, I find it very refreshing when an apple consumer has the honesty to admit that apple does stupid stuff... it seems rare but I think this time around we will hear more of it. Simultaneous voice and data was something I personally waited for a LONG time... this is clearly not the age to ignore such a feature yet apple just unilaterally does what they do so well... they tell people what to buy.

This is hilarious stuff

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to xenophon

Premium Member

to xenophon

I wonder how many people use that function. On AT&T I can Internetz and phone at the same time and over the last 5 years have never done it.

I personally would rather have a thinner lighter phone.

scavio
Premium Member
join:2001-07-14
Melmac

scavio to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
The two antennas have nothing to do with quality. They do this to keep the size and weight down (phones like the SIII have three antennas) and give them the ability to create the least number of models while still supporting as many carriers as possible. Right now there are 3 different iPhone 5s that cover all the LTE carriers but if they did it the other way they'd basically have to create a different model for each LTE implementation.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

inteller to skeechan

to skeechan
who fucking cares. Real question, which phones exceed the capabilities of the iPhone5?

Answer: plenty of them. Starting with the SGIII and lumia 920.
xenophon

xenophon to AnonFTW

to AnonFTW

Re: Is anyone really surprised, this is Apple after all

Yes, the newer Sprint Android phones CAN do voice/data at same time on 3G. I do it often on SG3.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

1 recommendation

skeechan to inteller

Premium Member

to inteller

I consider size and weight a capability and in that the SG3 is an epic fail. I don't want a fucking mini tab in my pocket. That's stupid.
xenophon

xenophon

When you consider the extra top/bottom bezel on iPhone, the SG3 is not much bigger. I surprising Apple still has all that top/bottom bezel.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

never been an issue

since i had my iPhone 4 old brick since march 2011 . Usually if i need to use the internet and phone at same time i am by a full computer or have WIFI in range . Both can be done using WIFI its only over 3g one at a time. Not a life or death matter.
RichNice
join:2003-01-09
Bowie, MD

RichNice

What about TMobile?

I know TMobile is pushing the whole BYOD program...but will they being able to run concurrent voice and data sessions as well?
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next