spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-09-14 09:30:18: Verizon appears to have confirmed that the iPhone 5 will not support simultaneous voice and data use on their networks, though it will work on AT&T. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
steven s
Premium
join:2002-09-14
Dearborn, MI

1 recommendation

To keep size down?

How is it that every other Verizon LTE phone can manage simultaneous voice/data with most keeping a thinner profile than the iPhone, but Apple is unable?

Sometimes I think Apple makes their products inconvenient to use simply for the sake of making them inconvenient.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: To keep size down?

said by steven s:

How is it that every other Verizon LTE phone can manage simultaneous voice/data with most keeping a thinner profile than the iPhone, but Apple is unable?

Sometimes I think Apple makes their products inconvenient to use simply for the sake of making them inconvenient.

I read somewhere that it has to do with the antennas in the phone. For better quality, Apple is using two different antennas (note: the term antennas may not be correct), whereas the other phones are using one, and therefore have additional room.

Or, AT&T and Apple may still be in bed.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

Antenna is the correct word. Other companies use 2 chips and 2 antennas, so one can connect to the LTE while other connect to CDMA. iPhone 5 has 2 antennas but a single chip design so the chip can't run 2 parts of itself at the sametime. Better for battery life but this is one of the limitations as a result.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by SHoTTa35 :

Antenna is the correct word. Other companies use 2 chips and 2 antennas, so one can connect to the LTE while other connect to CDMA.

My Moto handset can connect to EVDO and do a voicecall at the same time on Sprint..LTE shouldnt have anything to do with it.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

AnonFTW

@northstate.net

said by swintec:

said by SHoTTa35 :

Antenna is the correct word. Other companies use 2 chips and 2 antennas, so one can connect to the LTE while other connect to CDMA.

My Moto handset can connect to EVDO and do a voicecall at the same time on Sprint..LTE shouldnt have anything to do with it.

Your phone is capable of it, but none of the US CDMA networks support it. See this official answer from Sprint: »community.sprint.com/baw/thread/85183
xenophon

join:2007-09-17

The newer Sprint Android phones can do voice/data at same time even on 3G.

Apple is more interested in form (thinnest phone) over function.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

I wonder how many people use that function. On AT&T I can Internetz and phone at the same time and over the last 5 years have never done it.

I personally would rather have a thinner lighter phone.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

2 edits

I am constantly doing it. I almost always use a headset and find myself chatting with people about what I'm reading. Really helps if you run out of topics and the other person wants to keep talking Oh and I'm one of those weird Android users, so this would not affect me. But then it still wouldn't. I am one of those really odd AT&T users, but that's because they give good service in my region. But a third thing is I often use SIP over a tunnel as a VOIP provider. Works well on wifi and hspa+, but would also use lte for voice where it's available. Like it better than the cell line and AT&T has officially allowed voip for awhile. They just try and silently interfere with it, which I have low resource ways of doing something about.
Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
said by skeechan:

I wonder how many people use that function. On AT&T I can Internetz and phone at the same time and over the last 5 years have never done it.

I personally would rather have a thinner lighter phone.

Half the time you don't realize that it's happening. Back when I had OG Droid I didn't think it would matter, until I was driving somehwere using phone's navigation and while I was on the phone I actually managed to get to a point in my route where the phone needed more data from google to update directions. It wouldn't update until I got off the phone. It was like being in the modem days of, "I'll call you back, my navigation needs to use the phone"

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Cars' got navi. I guess I could conceive of situations where I "could" do it, planets aligned, tides high, cats-dogs living together, but those situations just haven't come up in the last five years.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by AnonFTW :

Your phone is capable of it, but none of the US CDMA networks support it. See this official answer from Sprint: »community.sprint.com/baw/thread/85183

My phone is capable of it and it DOES do it. It even works on my EVDO Femtocell provided by Sprint. Also works when connected to the Sprint native network.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

said by swintec:

said by AnonFTW :

My phone is capable of it and it DOES do it. It even works on my EVDO Femtocell provided by Sprint. Also works when connected to the Sprint native network.

How about tethering and talking to someone at the same time? my SGS3 can do it.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
said by swintec:

said by SHoTTa35 :

My SGS3 on sprint has two radios, so it can do voice and data at the same time.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

scavio
Premium
join:2001-07-14
Melmac
The two antennas have nothing to do with quality. They do this to keep the size and weight down (phones like the SIII have three antennas) and give them the ability to create the least number of models while still supporting as many carriers as possible. Right now there are 3 different iPhone 5s that cover all the LTE carriers but if they did it the other way they'd basically have to create a different model for each LTE implementation.

AnonFTW

@northstate.net
said by steven s:

Because the other LTE phones use two basebands (chips), one for LTE and one for CDMA. The iPhone uses the brand new Qualcomm SoC that integrates both basebands on one. That's why battery life on most LTE phones is terrible with LTE active, but Apple can get 8+ hours of battery life with the LTE radio active.

As for all the hoopla, the iPhone 4 and 4S didn't support this on CDMA networks either. The AT&T iPhone 5 has to fall back to 3G to do both, so this isn't a big deal.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by AnonFTW :

As for all the hoopla, the iPhone 4 and 4S didn't support this on CDMA networks either. The AT&T iPhone 5 has to fall back to 3G to do both, so this isn't a big deal.

So what you are saying is that after 2+ years and 3 product release cycles, they still haven't figured it out yet?
en103

join:2011-05-02

I think its more of...
We're not putting any more development into CDMA.
wasvznowftr

join:2010-07-13
said by steven s:

Which Verizon LTE phones have a thinner profile?

verizonlteda

@myvzw.com

Droid razr at 7.1 thin.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
What smartphone is thinner than the iPhone 5?

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

who fucking cares. Real question, which phones exceed the capabilities of the iPhone5?

Answer: plenty of them. Starting with the SGIII and lumia 920.
--
"WHEN THE LAUGH TRACK STARTS THEN THE FUN STARTS!"

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

1 recommendation

I consider size and weight a capability and in that the SG3 is an epic fail. I don't want a fucking mini tab in my pocket. That's stupid.
xenophon

join:2007-09-17

When you consider the extra top/bottom bezel on iPhone, the SG3 is not much bigger. I surprising Apple still has all that top/bottom bezel.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Width. One handed use on a narrow phone is much easier and faster to type. 1/2" makes a big difference. The SG3 is too small to be a good media player and too big to be a good phone. It's the worst of both worlds. It looked great but when I tried to use it, it was unwieldy to use one handed like by Galaxy WiFi. Fine as a novelty (ohhh, my phone is bigger than your phone) but would be a PITA to deal with on a daily basis.

Form is function in this case.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA

This is just your personal preference and not everyone is the same. I'm happy with my HTC Rezound with extended battery. It fits nicely in my pocket, the 4.3" screen looks wonderful with a higher pixel density than any retina display. It works great for me as a media player. I watch Slingbox streams, Netflix, YouTube, and even MLB TV on this phone and it's absolutely fantastic.

4G LTE speeds on the perfect-sized display for on-the-go viewing. Form is definitely function in this case for me. A long-lasting, replaceable extended battery is more important to me than thin and light. To me, every phone is thin and light. Things that matter to me are docking cradles that allow my phone to sit in landscape mode while charging, not whether it is .22 inches thicker or .52 inches longer.

I have an iPod Touch (4th generation), and I find it much harder to hold and especially to type anything.

Isn't the RAZR also .3 inches deep, making it the same as the new iPhone 5 spec?

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX
I have a Galaxy Nexus. 4.65" screen, 720p display, Super AMOLED screen. 135grams (23 heavier than the iPhone 5)

The screen is no problem. I can type upwards of 40 wpm with two hands. Just because you can't type with two hands doesn't mean everyone can't.

Most phones these days are tiny anyways - it's the case you add on that makes it big.

I like my large screen. Enjoy your puny 4" screen on your iphone with a ton of wasted real estate.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

I don't want to type with two hands with a handset

LightS
Premium
Greenville, TX

And I don't want to type with one hand (which I can do. Barely, but I can)

Stating that the "size and weight" hint, 21g lighter, is "epic fail" is ridiculous. If 20 grams is that much different for you... lol.

It's also a much more capable phone than the iphone 5 any day. Extra size means more weight, especially when the screen is nearly an inch larger.

It may be a novelty for you, but a lot of us use and enjoy the larger screens. And they are used in our daily work.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

S3 is an oversize toy, a novelty that wears thin with daily use. The S3 is for kids that think "bigger is always better" when that is rarely the case.
Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

said by skeechan:

"bigger is always better".

That's what she said.
en103

join:2011-05-02
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Kamus:

said by skeechan:

"bigger is always better".

That's what she said.

In that case, I'll see if I can find an old Motorola Brickphone for you.

LightS
Premium
Greenville, TX
Lol, okay bro.
I'm pretty sure you just have tiny hands.
A bigger screen is better for more than just bragging rights. In fact, nobody cares about how big a screen is. Bigger is better for a lot of us because we prefer the more useful screen estate, we enjoy the occasional video, viewing e-mails, etc. It's just preference.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
that's probably just because you are asian and have small hands? my hands aren't big, but the sgs3 isn't that big

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

I'm not asian and can palm a basketball. That's not the issue. I CAN type with my thumb on the S3 just not quickly. To type fast or use swyping I have to use 2 hands and I don't always have 2 hands free. I don't like skeebobbling with a $200+ handset nor am I going to sport a Hello Kitty lanyard.
vp71inet

join:2005-05-12
Englishtown, NJ
said by skeechan:

I don't want to type with two hands with a handset

As [Bold]jmn1207[/Bold] says, its your personal preference. Can we agree to disagree? Stop trying to force everyone else to your mold.

I find that sometimes I want to type with a single hand, but mostly with two like when typing txt msgs. I will skip this whiz bang technology and continue with my NOKIA N900, a phone that was ahead of its time and still relevant. Have a problem with that?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

Don't worry, I'm not bribing Sammy to narrow up their next handset. U buy what you want or stick with what you have but the same could be said about people crying about the screen size of the iPhone or claiming superiority with the not so superior S3.

I'm with ya on the N900...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

jmn1207
Premium
Ashburn, VA
said by skeechan:

I consider size and weight a capability and in that the SG3 is an epic fail. I don't want a fucking mini tab in my pocket. That's stupid.

I certainly do want a mini tab in my pocket. That's genius. My new iPad is just too clunky to carry around with me on a daily basis. Since my phone can do everything my iPad is capable of, it is more convenient to just take my phone with me when I leave the house. Having something a little bigger, but still easy enough to slide in my pocket, would be even better.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
It's quite apparent you haven't even touched a S3 based on your comments

•••••••••••••••••••••••

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
Wow.. Epic fail, eh? Doubt it.

..and you'd prefer a "Mini iPad" in your pocket?

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

You mean the mini ipad that SJ said no one wanted? But now they are apparently releasing one? LOL
fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
What also doesn't matter are the android users who come here and bitch and moan about what or what not the iPhone can do.. even if the iPhone did everything they wanted they'd still never by it anyway.. so why bitch? ... just to bitch?

And you also forget that while SOME think that phone "exceed the capabilities of the iPhone5" they often forget that the iPhone still does things better in other areas than those other phones.

In the end, and all these years later I will NEVER understand why in the world ANYONE would give a shit about what something else can or can not do when they f'ing found a phone that can do what THEY need or want it to do.. so why f'ing worry!?

It's really time for people to grow the hell up already.. I can't imagine that there are many 5 year old users on this board yet most sure act like one.
steven s
Premium
join:2002-09-14
Dearborn, MI

1 recommendation

I should have been more specific - Verizon's currently available Android smartphones are almost all thinner than the currently available Apple smartphone. The next generation of Android phones will all be thinner than the iPhone 5. The Motorola Droid Razr has already accomplished this feat, all the while offering simultaneous voice and data.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

Have to sell the 5S man.

They're out of ideas and they know it.
iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
The iPhone is tied for thinnest phone on Verizon I think; the new Razr is the same thickness, maybe 0.2mm thinner, but has more volume, so you can fit more antennas in there I suppose.

The Razr also only has one LTE band (Verizon's), and I don't think it supports DC-HSPA+.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
The biggest difference I saw between iPhone and other smart phones is the virtual keyboard. For folks like me who do not see well, it was a godsend. But considering the things that have transpired since Jobs died I can't see any difference except the name of the carrier you are paying. If you want to talk while you read data go there is only one choice, but don't expect to get service on the Interstates - at least between the Mississippi River and California. There is no service in the desert or between most towns. Rural America is not really where any of the big boys want to play and they don't, or at least not very well.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

GSM vs CDMA.

ATT's fake 4G network vs Verizon's LTE network vs Sprint's.. uh.. yeah.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
Just FYI but the iPhone 5 is the thinnest out now…
Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27

4 recommendations

iPhone 5S

Stay tuned for the all new revolutionary iPhone 5S, new features include simultaneous data on Verizon and Sprint, Facetime over LTE on AT&T and a collectible leatherbound edition of the Apple v Samsung lawsuit.

•••••••••••••••••••

Anubis Prime

join:2001-06-01
Pittsburgh, PA

Hmm.

I have an option at work to get a discount on both Verizon and at&t. I chose at&t.

While I don't have the need to go on the internet while talking on the phone I like the option to do so if I really needed to that .01% of the time.

Is that a limit of CDMA?

The other thing I didn't like about Verizon is the lack of SIM cards. I've had several situations where swapping the card to another phone was lifesaving. The old phone died at night, and I needed a phone. I grabbed an old phone, popped the SIM in, and it worked. I didn't need to go to the store to make it work.
--
Give me Liberty, or I'll give you death!

••••

Dest
Bolo
Premium
join:2000-03-21
Naperville, IL

There's no

even on GSM/LTE

there's no LTE data + GSM voice at the same time....

when you do a voice call, LTE get drop,
you DO still get data and voice at the same time, BUT data is handle by the current HSDPA/GSM, not LTE

source
»www.anandtech.com/show/6295/why-···support-
Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16

Is anyone really surprised, this is Apple after all

Wow, you mean to tell me the almighty iPhone, the state of the art, bestest phone on the planet can’t do something that my lowly HTC phone can do on 3G on Sprint. The new Evo has no problems doing simultaneous data and voice on Sprints network on CDMA so long as your data connection is EVDO not 1X. I can’t believe the great iPhone can’t do this on 4G, especially when other LTE capable phones from Motorola, Samsung, HTC, LG and others can. But then again the iPhone typically lacks the good stuff. No DLNA, no NFC, no simultaneous data and voice on the CDMA on 4G. I truly feel sorry for those compelled to buy the iPhone too blinded to see that behind that shiny fruit logo is a devices that is behind the times.
--
For the future of our nation, we must unite and vote out the terrorist known as Hussein Obama. Come November 6 2012 we must remove the socialist pig out of office and get our country back on the RIGHT track.

•••••••••••••

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER

Why?

Because I'm apple dammit!

(can't wait to hear how the fanbois will continue to rationalize this one over time)

As an IT person that finds being able to remote into a server while being on the phone with the client EXTREMELY valuable... not to mention all the casual consumer uses. I cannot believe a company the size of Apple would put out a flagship product of such that doesn't have yesterdays tech...

Of course the first iphoney didn't even have cut & paste MANY years after WinMo did and they spun that just fine so...???

One thing is clear... Apple is the most arrogant manufacture in the world; they use their popularity to tell the consumer what they want instead of the other way around. History and common sense says that is a model that cannot last forever.
--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

LightS
Premium
Greenville, TX

Re: Why?

HAHAHAHAA i forgot about it not having cut/paste! I was just saying earlier, that them even lacking MMS was ridiculous..
Phatty

join:2000-05-10
Saint Louis, MO

How important is this feature?

I have an AT&T iphone, and yes I have used this ability once or twice, but overall I hate talking on the phone, and so do most people I know. Majority of communication is TXT/Email/Heytell, and my goal while on any phone call is trying to figure out how to end the call.

With that said I do think this is one of those stupid Apple things because they are always trying to make the device smaller. I don't want a smaller device, my iPhone4 is just fine. I want longer battery life, and more features, and this could be one feature that may have fit if they wouldn't waste time shrinking a device that already fits in the pocket just fine.

••••••

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

2 recommendations

You're holding it wrong.

You need to hold an android for that feature.

••••••

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Not a deal breaker...

Today I can talk and surf at the same time and I don't think I can ever think of a time where I had to do both. Besides if I am going to talk and surf at the same time I'll just use my MiFi.

I've not made up my mind yet but I am thinking about the iphone5 because I do get tired of the random reboots and horrid battery life. I like to tinker with stuff but there are some times where I just want for something to work and not have to constantly tweak it.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11

Re: Not a deal breaker...

I understand that many people don't talk and surf at the same time, but for those of us who do a mifi isn't much of a solution because most of the time that I end up surfing and talking at the same time is when someone calls me and I'm doing something on my phone, I have a bluetooth handset that I use at home and surf at the same time. It was something I didn't think about much when I was on AT&T for the iphone 3GS, but when I went to Verizon I realized that for me it was a big deal.

I'm an die hard Android fan, but unfortunately the quality of Android phones vary, you have to do your homework. I went to an AT&T mvno because verizon's prices are insane and I carry a gsm galaxy nexus now and it's every bit as reliable and gets excellent battery life, over 24 hours of pretty heavy usage.

delusion ftl

@comcast.net
Battery life on the iphone is not all roses and clean water as you may have been led to believe. Most consumers will tell you that Apple went backwards from the 4 to the 4s, and it sounds like the 5 will take it back to where the 4 was, which is good, but not great.

Which device do you have currently? Some devices are more rough than others.
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

201X's

This decade will be known as the reverse innovation.. make the crappiest product you can get away with and then improve upon it little by little, while raking in top dollar.. Microsoft is famous for their "BETA TEST" operating systems making them BILLIONS in the 80s and 90s

You could say Apple does this in style asking $600 as msrp for their POS, but this retro innovation trend (no, not making products look like the past, but making a Piece of Shit and then improving upon it little by little and making boatloads of money in the process).

If innovation was bleeding edge all the time, OIL companies would be out of business by now and you'd have virtually free fuel (or at least dirt cheap). People are brainwashed with propaganda to believe in apathy, loyalty and ignorance. What do you think makes up the world today?

The value is in the price you pay, not actually what the product is worth.. Apple, like Microsoft before it preys on apathy, loyalty and ignorance.

Even though oil companies have a virtual monopoly, they're betting that most people won't build or buy themselves an ethanol still to make fuel grade ethanol. The ignorance and apathy is that gasoline can skyrocket to the moon and people are ignorant and apathetic to the fact that they have better choices.. this is where brainwashing and loyalty come in.. so in this respect, Oil companies are not much different than Apple..

BTW, when gas becomes $5 a gallon again, this becomes viable, even if you have to convert your car to ethanol.

»www.microfueler.com/

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

Re: 201X's

said by tmc8080:

This decade will be known as the reverse innovation.. make the crappiest product you can get away with and then improve upon it little by little, while raking in top dollar.. Microsoft is famous for their "BETA TEST" operating systems making them BILLIONS in the 80s and 90s

You could say Apple does this in style asking $600 as msrp for their POS, but this retro innovation trend (no, not making products look like the past, but making a Piece of Shit and then improving upon it little by little and making boatloads of money in the process).

If innovation was bleeding edge all the time, OIL companies would be out of business by now and you'd have virtually free fuel (or at least dirt cheap). People are brainwashed with propaganda to believe in apathy, loyalty and ignorance. What do you think makes up the world today?

The value is in the price you pay, not actually what the product is worth.. Apple, like Microsoft before it preys on apathy, loyalty and ignorance.

Even though oil companies have a virtual monopoly, they're betting that most people won't build or buy themselves an ethanol still to make fuel grade ethanol. The ignorance and apathy is that gasoline can skyrocket to the moon and people are ignorant and apathetic to the fact that they have better choices.. this is where brainwashing and loyalty come in.. so in this respect, Oil companies are not much different than Apple..

BTW, when gas becomes $5 a gallon again, this becomes viable, even if you have to convert your car to ethanol.

»www.microfueler.com/

If you already know this why didn't you invest in the companies.
Good decade for me. I own shares of apple,AT&T,and oil stocks.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

never been an issue

since i had my iPhone 4 old brick since march 2011 . Usually if i need to use the internet and phone at same time i am by a full computer or have WIFI in range . Both can be done using WIFI its only over 3g one at a time. Not a life or death matter.
RichNice

join:2003-01-09
Bowie, MD

What about TMobile?

I know TMobile is pushing the whole BYOD program...but will they being able to run concurrent voice and data sessions as well?

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11

Re: What about TMobile?

They run on 3G/HSPA+ which natively supports simultaneous voice and data, so yes it will. the AT&T phone will work the same way droping to 3G/HSPA+ for voice/data when a call in progress.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

1 recommendation

not even an apple user, but

I'm a business user, I gave up my iPhone 4 for a blackberry (I need the battery life) and for a personal phone I grip my evo 3d like a hand grenade and I'm in Berlin, 1945.

That being said, I never understood the big marketing hype with being able to surf while on a call.

Maybe apple just thought that they can squeeze more juice out of the battery with this design, instead of giving the users something that less then 1% of iphone users will ever utilize, and most wont know it is there, unlike battery life.
--
This is not the greatest post in the world, no, this is just a tribute!

-

••••

Jon Geb
Wal-Mart Sucks

join:2001-01-09
Howell, MI

Wow thats garbage

So, no tethering while taking phone calls!

Sucks for you iPhoners.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: Wow thats garbage

said by Jon Geb:

So, no tethering while taking phone calls!

Sucks for you iPhoners.

Correction.. Sucks for you VZW iPhoners.
iansltx

Austin, TX

Re: Wow thats garbage

And Sprint iPhoners...

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

It's not..

It's not a bug, it's a feature. They need something to sue over when iPhone6 launches with Data + Voice concurrent capability.
Next week they will file for a patent for Voice + data capability.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

jmn1207
Premium
Ashburn, VA

Re: It's not..

Knowing Verizon, they will probably only allow simultaneous voice + data with the new shared plans when iPhone 6 comes out this time next year with this feature enabled.
iansltx

Austin, TX

No VoLTE either

The FCC doc that everyone is pulling from states that VoLTE is "not supported" on the iPhone 5. So the only way you're going to be able to call and surf at the same time is if you're on garden-variety VoIP.

It's cool, I'm takin it back
Premium
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX

HAHA hahahahahaahhaa

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHA - What a fucking joke!!

So, a VZ or Sprint iPhone user, riding in their car, using things like navigation, takes a bluetooth phone call, and the data drops?

So much for usefulness!

••••••••
eugeneua

join:2004-09-11
Atlanta, GA

back to android

was expecting this to work on iphone 5, i guess it's time to go back to an android phone.. maybe an HTC..

delusion ftl

@comcast.net

Re: back to android

The One X is a beautiful terrific device and will probably drop in price soon. Otherwise it may be wise to wait a couple months and get the next nexus phone.
puck0114

join:2005-12-24
Portland, OR

Re: back to android

The current Galaxy Nexus is a fantastic phone and it's only 350 bucks off contract. I really don't think there's a better deal out there, and the new Nexus probably won't be available off contract at that price for quite a while.
oldframe
Pipe Dreams
Premium
join:2003-07-26
Houston, TX

Already being planned

I do IT work for one of the largest AT&T Authorized Retailers and we just sent out an internal e-mail touting "AT&T's Advantage" when it comes to simultaneous voice and data on the iPhone. Apparently, the owner thinks it's going to be a huge selling point. To me, it's just like.. meh.
Neosum
Premium
join:2000-06-03
Oakland, CA

There's a simple solution.

If you need simultaneous voice and LTE data, then don't buy an iphone. It wasn't designed to meet your needs.

If you're ok with simultaneous voice and 3g data, and insist on getting an iphone, you're stuck with ATT.

Rather than complain about what the iphone can't do, just buy a phone that does what you need it to do. Problem solved.
--
My blog »writingforprofits.net
MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

Re: There's a simple solution.

Exactly. Or carry 2 phones, or an iPhone and iPad, is yet another option. solve the problem, don't bitch about it.