dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-09-20 08:23:51: AT&T has laid bare their plan with the FCC to hang up on the carrier's landline networks so they can focus on more profitable wireless services. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next
viperlmw
Premium Member
join:2005-01-25

viperlmw to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4

Re: Nothing strange about this objective.

3 words: Middle Mile prices.
viperlmw

viperlmw to elray

Premium Member

to elray
According to at&t it does!

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Just split the company

They should just split the company into two, with one being wireless and the other being wireline like Motorola split into Motorola Solutions (government and business radios/equipment) and Motorola Mobility (cell phones and Cable TV hardware).
sparks
join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR

sparks

NO PROBLEM give AT&T what they are bribing the politicians for.
$1 a meg no matter how you get it.
no more overages and no more crying over your bill.
Its america don't you know that AT&T is god and so are the wealthy.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose

Hey AT&T

Go ahead and TRY to pull this, and watch the DOJ rape you w/o lube. They allready smelled your BS with the T-Mobile deal, what makes you think they wont break you all back up again, and prohibitions on EVER getting back together tillthe company is bankrup, assets sold, THEN maybe let you glob back together. I get the part that you want to modernize, but damn how dumb are you to even think this will pass the regulators, even ones pro-you.
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

1 recommendation

b10010011

As important as "information services" are to our econ

As important as "information services" are to our economy.

All internet and "information services" should be regulated as utilities.

"Information services" carrying VOIP data should be regulated as telecommunications systems.

It's not the data, the medium, or the technology that should be the defining factor but the usage of such services.
canestim
join:2012-01-20

canestim to elray

to elray

That would be ok if duopolies and monopolies did not exist because someone would provide the service consumers want that AT&T is not willing to do. All of you guys on here are funny, I think you just like playing Devil's Advocate (while you watch Netflix on your plush cable connection). Don't understand all the siding with corporations over yourselves and the consumer.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to Os

to Os

Re: ATT say I like Directv + DSL Don't want to have to pick form

well people with directv or dish have DSL bundles.

and going to cable = giving up the bundles or have to put up with cable TV.
canestim

canestim to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4

Government shouldn't be involved in private business, free market business. Utilities, yes including Inernet (which has become a necessity basically) has to be regulated because you can't have 100 companies putting up towers or running wires. Utilities are not free market in our country the way the are set up. Maybe if they went to a model like in Europe, I don't know.

hyphenated
@bellsouth.net

hyphenated

Anon

testing 123

When this happens we will probably go dark at home. Forget all the internet BS.

ATT needs to get rid of something, they can't do much of anything because they're so overloaded. They struggle with everything from setting up new markets to billing. They thought they had to buy out everything and now they might screwed so they're backing out. What a bunch of panzies.

And don't forget the government allowed them to do this twice over already. I don't wan't anything and got nothing for this BS.

Oh, and LOL!!
canestim

canestim to Itwillhappen

to Itwillhappen

Re: There is already a replacement

That device is great, that isn't the issue. It's the ability for them to turn of service to DSL (part of POTS) without notice or regulation as they wanted if deemed information services not telecom services. Also, please show me 50 gigs of LTE for $69.95? Verizon, the largest LTE provider (wah wah we need more spectrum) charges $60 for 10GB Home Fusion LTE "Cantenna".

lolz
@ritternet.com

lolz to sparks

Anon

to sparks

Re: Just split the company

Oh i would just love that, when i download a 20gb game from steam.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to canestim

to canestim

said by canestim:

Do you realize how many gigs one hd stream from Netflix is? How are you going to stream movies to replaces your non-digital copies with that 10GB data cap with your Verizon LTE Home Fusion service?

You realize in areas where one's only option is something like HomeFusion DSL doesn't even exist anyway. Places where DSL exists are in populated areas that are serviced by cable.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

Skippy25 to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
Wireless will never match the speed, the latency nor the efficiency of a fiber network.

It simply is not possible based on sheer physics of wireless wave lengths compared to light.
Skippy25

Skippy25 to elray

to elray
See you corporate friendly folks seem to forget what the internet was and why it was corrected.

It has been bastardized kind of like Christmas. Once companies see there is money to be made they shape and distort whatever they can into their liking and hope we dont see the smoke and mirrors behind it all. Unfortunately, we allow it to happen.

The internet exist to provide it's users whatever they want.

So if they want Netflix, then yes it is AT&T's problem. Do you remember the days when AOL thought they knew what their users wanted and tried to force that upon them? Yeah... where are they today?
Skippy25

Skippy25 to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
Lets correct your statement and say Government does not need to buy into private business unless private business fails to deliver and the people (whom are the government) have elected for them to do so because of those failures.

Like it or not, if the people want the government to provide a service, regardless of how well the private sector provides it, then the government is obligated to serve it's people as they request. It is the entire purpose of the government.

I also like the lie you portray in your last sentence. Companies like AT&T could have their expenses completely zeroed out saving them billions and not a single customer will see a decrease in their bill. However, you can be sure that the CEO and shareholders see a big "bonus" fat check.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly to elray

to elray
noo i need my dsl for gaming and a comcast lien for browsing >:|

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

So cable basically won.

Cable companies must be happy. :P
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to 88615298

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by canestim:

Do you realize how many gigs one hd stream from Netflix is? How are you going to stream movies to replaces your non-digital copies with that 10GB data cap with your Verizon LTE Home Fusion service?

You realize in areas where one's only option is something like HomeFusion DSL doesn't even exist anyway. Places where DSL exists are in populated areas that are serviced by cable.

Not always true.. My brother has ATT dsl, but cable comes nowhere even close to the area... I can think of quite a few places where this is the trend.. So, its not by any means a default thing..
decifal7

decifal7

sell

I actually want ATT to go through with this lol. maybe then someone will be allowed to pickup our area and offer dsl or whatever for a change. I'm having to barely survive on 3g service here which is badly capped...
canestim

canestim to 88615298

to 88615298

There are millions and millions of people where DSL is the only option for wired Internet, wired Internet aka the real Internet aka not capped and/or dodgy signal 3G, LTE, or Satellite. And these people (like me) actually do live in populated cities. So yes I do realize that but why don't you go tell that to the millions of people (who only have DSL no cable option) who could possibly have their DSL shut of because of this.

It probably doesn't matter to you and all the others on here playing DA because you all probably have both options and don't care, outta sight outta mind. But like others said all you're doing is creating another monopoly (cable) and they will start to raise prices. They should spin the company off or the FCC should let them sell/transfer their lines to another company until a real replacement is ready for the big time.

Desertisp
@verizon.net

Desertisp to Skippy25

Anon

to Skippy25
I have to disagree with this statement. I work for a wireless ISP in a underserved area and we routinely push 200mbit+ over our backhauls and customers see no more than 5 - 10ms on all hops within our network before it hits our backbone to the Internet. So it's entirely possible to keep up at least with latency and coax or fiber, speeds to the customer is entirely dependent on distance, line of sight and how much of the airwaves are saturated on that frequency which admittedly means speeds may not be up to par to the end user but we still can push 20mbit easily to each CPE on our network.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav

Can't let go of "Old Ma Bell!"

AT&T did this to themselves, getting rid of the Old Copper Plant is not that easy, especially when even their new technology U-Verse uses it. People don't want to give up their Copper Land Lines and DSL, they are happy with this old technology. AT&T sees this as a Money Pit, and wants to unload this Copper Plant along with the expensive regulations. Let's see what happens, but I think AT&T should look at a Total Fiber Network, and maybe that is the direction they are heading but without the regulations.

bemis
Premium Member
join:2008-07-18
united state

bemis

Premium Member

Universal Fee

How many damn years have we been paying USF's????? And what exactly did it help to accomplish?

To hell with the phone companies.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to canestim

to canestim

The future is government regulation of internet and requiring there be no caps, no throttling, and a % guarantee of your download/upload speeds.
This will have to happen or then we will all be screwed by having to pay by the byte at millions of times more than the actual cost.
Oh_No

Oh_No to lordfly

to lordfly

Re: I personally do not have a problem with that...but

Compensate for what???
You know you can run free software on your computer to act as your VOIP device??
Your comments are weird.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4

Not if a democratic majority of the people demand a regulation saying otherwise
axus

axus

[Heart] Common Carriage

We need more common carriage, not less!

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to 88615298

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by canestim:

Where CenturyLink provides (?) DSL service in large areas of the Western USA, there is no cable or any other choice of ISP, thats right, no wireless either.
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr to alchav

to alchav

Re: Can't let go of "Old Ma Bell!"

Happy with old copper..no, not really..

Six months ago, I dumped at&t POTS, and a deteriorating aDSL line. I ported my old land line # to non-at&t wireless and saved nearly $60mo..

Added bonus.. Got caller id and call waiting for free. (Caller ID is very helpful blocking telemarketers, so called surveys, and politicians)..
And my wireless internet, though capped.. is much faster than my old aDSL line.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next