spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-09-20 18:31:40: With the iPhone's launch drawing extra attention to LTE footprints, Verizon this week announced a slew of new markets. ..

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

VZW weird about announcements

OK so my area is not listed nor is the map updated to show 4G but I in fact have been getting it for the last 6 days. Another area, McKenzie, wasn't announced either but has been updated in the maps. So I'm not sure what's up with that.

rdmiller

join:2005-09-23
Richmond, VA

No need to do it in stages

When you've got more spectrum than anybody else, it's easier to do a full rollout.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
MEANWHILE AT ATT

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to rdmiller
Verizon has been doing LTE deployment in stages. They started in certain cities to coordinate with football season.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:25
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

LTE has improved/arrived.

Just a few months ago LTE was coming and going at my home. At most you would get 5Mbps/1Mbps out of it, inconsistent at that and it would appear for 5-10 minutes and then disappear for an unspecified amount of time. It could be hours or days later. Now, LTE is available at "4/5 bars" and speeds are a bit better. They range between 5Mbps/1Mbps and 60Mbps/20Mbps but they must have turned up a new tower nearby as well. 3G service has improved a bit as well, probably due to better connectivity going to the tower.

At work, I've also noticed that LTE is now coming in for the first time ever as of a few days ago. The mini-stations in the building because you cannot get cell phone signal inside of it from any carrier despite a tower being very close by, do not have LTE support yet, but they do support 3G and we get 2.9Mbpps/740kbps off of it. Hopefully LTE will come inside of the building.

I'm still using a dumb phone however, but hopefully they make good use of available Fiber with these towers and ensure the backhaul is never the issue, unlike the way 3G was kept in this area where those T1s were constantly overloaded.

dslguy

@verizon.net
reply to 88615298

Re: VZW weird about announcements

they make announcement when they have full coverage in an area, not with each individual site. Several sites just north of Tampa have gotten upgrades but several next to upgaded sites are not. VZ does not wanjt to give competitors fuel for ads claiming partial upgrades as complete

ShellMMG

join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Green-light today

LTE just went live in my area this afternoon (Jackson County, MI). It wasn't working this morning but by 4PM I was showing 2 bars on our Jetpack. Ironically, it doesn't appear they've updated that piece-of-crap tower that was waaaaay-underperforming in 3G (40Kb down on a *good* day). I'm in a marginal area but am still getting a signal.

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Enjoy it while it lasts!

The iPhone is going to DESTROY the network tomorrow and going forward. Between the iPads and iPhones, hopefully the LTE can hold up!!

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to dslguy

Re: VZW weird about announcements

said by dslguy :

they make announcement when they have full coverage in an area, not with each individual site. Several sites just north of Tampa have gotten upgrades but several next to upgaded sites are not. VZ does not wanjt to give competitors fuel for ads claiming partial upgrades as complete

you didn't even read what I wrote. Once again go look at the their map. McKenzie is listed as 4G now. No announcement. The map didn't have McKenzie as 4G before toady. People in that area did report having 4g already for a couple of week already.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
reply to Jmartz

Re: Enjoy it while it lasts!

said by Jmartz:

The iPhone is going to DESTROY the network tomorrow and going forward. Between the iPads and iPhones, hopefully the LTE can hold up!!

I guess people will be using it a bit downloading etc as it will be new and on LTE finally.. That being said, i'm holding off of the Iphone 5.. I have my reasons.
Expand your moderator at work

kalanic00

join:2006-07-16
Anchorage, AK

Ready for Verizon in Alaska!!

The faster, the better!

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

Weirton,wv

Slowly but surely they are expanding coverage here. It goes in and out of 4g here. The map shows alot of areas 4g and more 4g extended. Mostly on the hilltops though not in the valleys like downtown yet.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
reply to Jmartz

Re: Enjoy it while it lasts!

said by Jmartz:

ROFLMAO...

fanboi much?
--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!