spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-09-24 14:23:48: Unsatisfied with their $1 billion legal patent victory over Samsung, Apple is now asking the courts for another $707 million in additional damages. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1

11 recommendations

Dear Apple.....

Grow the fuck up....
Expand your moderator at work

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

2 recommendations

Hope a New Trial is Granted

Given how the jury openly admitted that they refused to consider prior art with regards to invalidating some of Apple's patents, and given the blatant refusal of the trial judge to allow for Samsung to present evidence to defend itself, I sincerely hope the original trial verdict is tossed.
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

1 recommendation

I'll donate a couple of bucks.

I'll send Samsung a few bucks, just for the hell of it.

The way Apple has been acting, has helping me decide to never buy another apple product ever again.

What damages has Apple suffered? Their Fing stock is over 600 bucks a share.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US

Apple Is Seething with Jealousy

The Galaxy S3 is a superior product to the latest iTrash.

If you can't beat them, sue them out of existence.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Os

Re: Apple Is Seething with Jealousy

said by Os:

If you can't beat them, sue them out of existence.

Beat them? Apple (for right or wrong) has a legion of followers lining up for blocks to get their hands on the latest phones and devices. Spec wise, the S3 is great but its not like Samsung sees the same level of demand here.
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

Insubordination

we all know how all of this started now dont we ?
look back well before these lawsuits started.
when two companies with deep pockets cant come to a personal civil agreement between themselves, then its time to throw money at the courts and lawyers and play "My Cousin Vinny".
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to pnh102

Re: Hope a New Trial is Granted

A new trial in a new venue outside of California.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Cheese

Re: Dear Apple.....

I think Apple never will follow that advice. Honestly while they come off as superior, based on their current and very public legal actions I get the feeling that internally they are honestly very terrified of Android and mainly targeted Samsung because as of current they are the big fish of the Android OEM pond.

But also if they attacked Google directly it would be a fairly equal fight. Big CA tech firm vs big CA tech firm in CA courts. By going at Samsung their lawyers can play the juries in future trials in that its "A good home grown company fighting for its life against a Korean conglomerate."
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

jay608
Going Nucking Futs

join:2007-01-22
Chicago, IL

My $.02

First off anyone that owned a Samsung or Apple product on the jury should have not been on it. Second, a judge should be smart enough to see thru the line of bullshit, and dismiss it. (this would go the same way if it were visa versa)

As for "a rational and fair effort to address Samsung's willful misconduct that has and will impose lasting harm on Apple."

I want some of the stuff they are smoking cause it seems pretty damn good..

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to PhoenixDown

That legion of followers is dependent upon them thinking Apple always has the greatest stuff.

Once that's gone, you're just paying double the price for a crippled product in the Apple world. And that only has appeal for so long.

Apple can return to the mid-90's when Macs were beyond a niche, and they were left for dead.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to Kearnstd

Well, Google is going after them now.

Fighting for it's life...they will be once Google gets done with them

dogo88

join:2001-09-24
Old Bridge, NJ
reply to PhoenixDown

Legions of followers? Check the facts. They were paid to stand in line for the latest apple koolaid.

Swordfish II
Watching A Dream
Premium
join:2002-05-12
Cloud 9

1 edit

Samsung will get it all back

Sammy will get all the money back after suing Apple for LTE patent infringement.

Apple really shot themselves in the foot....
--
I'm not going there to die. I'm going there to see if i really am alive.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

Rational and Fair ? ? ?

Apple wants "a rational and fair effort" [to enforce] "a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners" says Samsung.

**HOW** did the USPTO find "rectangles with rounded corners" unique and innovative?

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

2 recommendations

reply to Cheese

Samsung 2006
said by Cheese:

Grow the fuck up....

Samsung copied no one.
PDAs with touch screens with phone call capabilities came out a long time ago.
The abbreviation "apps" was used since the early 90s on the internet.
The iphone looks just like the samsung picture frame released in 2006.

They definitely need a new trial. The jurors even admitted after the fact they ignored all prior art and just awarded apple the win.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Anon
Samsung makes like 30% of all the parts in the iphone.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

Chicago, IL
reply to Snakeoil

Re: I'll donate a couple of bucks.

said by Snakeoil:

I'll send Samsung a few bucks, just for the hell of it.

The way Apple has been acting, has helping me decide to never buy another apple product ever again.

What damages has Apple suffered? Their Fing stock is over 600 bucks a share.

That means nothing unless apple designs to sell more stock otherwise the stock price only benefits those that own apple stock and are willing to sell.

raythompsontn

join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to WHT

Re: Rational and Fair ? ? ?

said by WHT:

**HOW** did the USPTO find "rectangles with rounded corners" unique and innovative?

Because the people in the patent office have pointed heads. Anything without a point is unique to them.

HogansZeroes

@bahnhof.se
reply to pnh102

Re: Hope a New Trial is Granted

said by pnh102:

Given how the jury openly admitted that they refused to consider prior art with regards to invalidating some of Apple's patents, and given the blatant refusal of the trial judge to allow for Samsung to present evidence to defend itself, I sincerely hope the original trial verdict is tossed.

Vel Hogan, jury foreman of Apple vs Samsung made it perfectly clear in a Bloomberg interview that he has a clear and fundamental misunderstanding of what constitutes prior art. Hogan either ignored the judge's instruction or he willfully chose to not accept the definition of "prior art" because it could invalidate his own patents outside of this trial.

-Bloomberg Interview

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9cnQcTC2JY

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to Anon

No, just a fanboy of having my own consumer options without another company telling me what I can and can't buy. I could give less of a crap about Samsung, but Apple can go die in a fire. Their actions leave consequences that I pay for in a crappier smartphone marketplace.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to PhoenixDown

said by PhoenixDown:

Spec wise, the S3 is great but its not like Samsung sees the same level of demand here.

But Samsung manufactures & sells more smartphones than Apple. I don't think they're really hurting in the demand department.

whiteshp

join:2002-03-05
Xenia, OH
reply to raythompsontn

Re: Rational and Fair ? ? ?

Actually these companies flood thousands of patents. Most get rejected but by shear volume some do get through that shouldn't and that's when the companies know they sue the crap out of everyone for a common idea. It's exploit=pay dirt

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to jay608

Re: My $.02

said by jay608:

First off anyone that owned a Samsung or Apple product on the jury should have not been on it.

...so we're looking for a patent jury pool consisting of the Amish.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to Kearnstd

If they went after a smaller company then the logic might hold some water. But going after a huge international company isn't going to get you all that much extra. They are going to counter sue both domestically and internationally and have huge resources to put up a competent defense. Even if you win, you're going to lose to some degree.

Plus, if indeed they are terrified of Android, going after Samsung did not resolve any of those issues. Apple's case against Samsung case was almost entirely about design patents or utility patents that were basically about look and feel of the software. It all pertained to only Samsumg (and Google warned Samsung about some of it). Essentially nothing in the case will spill over into Apple v. Google or any other Android phone manufacturer. The only thing that would spill over is any award money and that's going to be tied up in courts for a long time.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to Oh_No
said by Oh_No:

Samsung copied no one.
PDAs with touch screens with phone call capabilities came out a long time ago.
The abbreviation "apps" was used since the early 90s on the internet.
The iphone looks just like the samsung picture frame released in 2006.

Thanks for clearing up that you have absolutely no idea what a lawsuit about design and utility patents are about in general, let alone the specifics of this case.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Anyone one remember..

Apple said they really wanted it to be $2 billion so I think this is a way they can inch as close as they can to that mark.

judge Koh is an idiot from what I heard she will be looking over the stuff in December..