dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-09-26 12:30:37: Trying to get incumbent cable operators to share their sports channels with TV competitors has always been a thorny issue (ask AT&T and Verizon), and it appears to again be a problem for Google Fiber. ..

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

Losing battle for Time Warner

This seems similar to Cablevision and their sports channel blockade. »Cablevision's Sports Network Blockade Slowly Dying [36] comments

If so, this means Google will prevail.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

Re: Losing battle for Time Warner

said by morbo:

If so, this means Google will prevail.

Probably. But until then, TWC gets the advantage for anyone who "must" have that content that they aren't initially sharing. It's a stalling tactic. It's not likely to impact the eventual successor failure of Google's endeavors, but it's still a paper cut. Enough of them and it does hurt.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Re: Losing battle for Time Warner

The system is/was a failure from the start. It's only a beta project that more than likely will be shut down after 2 years. It's NEVER going to expand past what it is, and there is a 99% chance that Surewest will end up taking it over or it will rot later.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

The Great and Powerful Google

Apparently isn't willing to pay to obtain the sports networks its customers want, so they're crying to Uncle Sam.

Nothing new here.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

hottboiinnc4

Re: The Great and Powerful Google

Thats the only way they can play. Ever since Google started this beta network, they've only cried and carried on about how things weren't fair and how they wanted certain things done just for them, but refused to pay. I see this project being sold off in 2 years or being left to rot.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

I really hate being part of a niche market. I would be happy with this service without the TV bits. TV has nothing to do with internet service.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

Crookshanks

said by ArrayList:

TV has nothing to do with internet service.

Not directly, but it's an additional revenue stream, and that's never a bad thing. They've got to recoup the build costs somehow.

Besides, the sheep will always fall for the "combined bill" marketing ploy, even if they wind up paying more money and/or carrying services they don't need. Because it's so hard to pay an additional bill in this day and age, it requires at least five or six more mouse-clicks!
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

They already claimed that their HSI product would make money. So making money on the TV product is BS. Also if it was that way, they need to un-bundle the 2 products and show the real price of both combined, the same as TV and Telco does. Google fails to do that and in order to have their TV product, you MUST have their HSI product. People on here cried when VZ started forcing its customers to have dial-tone again to get DSL, but it's different with Google and its total BS on this site with the GoogleBoys.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

said by hottboiinnc4:

They already claimed that their HSI product would make money. So making money on the TV product is BS.

????

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. All I said was that selling TV provides them with additional revenue, and that said revenue helps them recoup the build costs faster than they otherwise would.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

He's just a Google hater, apparently.

Apparently he likes lack of choice and monopolies--- OR he's an employee or stockholder of TWC.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

First I don't live in a TWC area any longer, never worked for them either. So just because someone doesn't like Google they now work for them? Yah okay w/e.

and I don't lack options thank you, and neither does anyone else. So stop spreading that lie. I have the choice of HSI and TV and phones. and you should know that monoply means ONE company available. Not when you have 2 or 3 or even more. And EVERYONE has the choice of at least 2 TV providers.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Clearly personal axe to grind is clouding your objectivity.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
He or she is a Google hater because he states a marketing ploy being made by Google for giving you TV services but only if you purchase internet as well which is also known as tying for the industry.

Also if company A, spent the resources to make and create these local channels and they want Google to pay for them to broadcast these services for their customers then they should pay. If Google does not like the price then move along or increase cost and don't bundle TV with internet.

Makes me wonder if they bundle so they can inflate the numbers of actual internet and tv subscribers...

Oh and once again, kissing any companies ass won't get you anywhere so to shun him or her for stating a marketing ploy does not make him a hater and makes you look like the "fanboi".

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Uh huh.

Sure, whatever you say. Not the rantings or anything.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks
but the fact is they do NOT need the TV income and they're most likely NOT making anything off it. If they were they'd disclose their prices withOUT forced bundling. And its already been said that Google NEVER signed a contract with the actual content owners anyway, they used a company that has mass deals with everyone else.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
Easy answer: TV is not a profit center for Google Fiber. It's a "look at this tech and see what it can do" center. Unbundling it would probably result in costs of $70+ per month for TV-only.

Plus, doing TV-only service runs against Google's entire purpose for their fiber network: get more people using the Internet more of the time, so they'll use Google services more. A TV-only product doesn't do this. FTTH is a stupid idea for linear-video-only distribution, something that can be done just as well over satellite or coax. Which is why for Google the prime product in their offering is Internet, not TV.

If you want TV-only service, you have three companies in KC to choose from, and Google doesn't really want your patronage anyway. In the case of Verizon, they just want to raise Internet prices without raising the sticker price of the Internet option, so they started requiring landlines. Similar to what they did with Share Everything for data plans. Google never had the precedent of unbundled TV, so why fault them for not having it when you can get a similar product from Dish, DirecTV or TWC?
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

I know TV is not Google's main product, but still forcing bundling still is illegal. And the DOJ and the FTC needs to step up and put the foot up their ass.

Alex J
@sunwave.com.br

Alex J to hottboiinnc4

Anon

to hottboiinnc4

they've only cried and carried on about how things weren't fair and how they wanted certain things done just for them...

How is that different from any other company in this sector? AT&T is the poster child for that kind of behavior. Time Warner Cable as well. Protectionist legacy companies that cry like babies when the subsidies dry up or somebody tries to disrupt the uncompetitive cash party. Google as they grow will become the same thing, but it's good they're throwing a wrench in the works here, and the only people I see crying about Google Fiber are ISP employees.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Because Google thinks they're above everyone else regardless of who they are.

you don't see AT&T and Comcast or TWC out crying that they don't want to pay for ROW rights, and want to deploy above where they should on poles just to get free ROWs. You also don't see TWC NOT paying their bills for ROWs, like you do Google.

Google Fiber is nothing more than a beta and will NEVER go anywhere and they're not throwing in a wrench, just more of their BS to get their name out, because Karl can't type fast enough for it.

Alex J
@sunwave.com.br

Alex J

Anon

Because Google thinks they're above everyone else regardless of who they are.

And AT&T doesn't behave that way?

you don't see AT&T and Comcast or TWC out crying that they don't want to pay for ROW rights

AT&T cried about that constantly when lobbying for video franchise reform.

What's really driving your hate of Google Fiber? Are you employeed by an ISP? Your venom sounds so personal. So what if it's a beta? It's interesting. Symmetrical 1 Gbps service for seventy bucks! Yeah, let's all get pissed at this outrage! This site's readership is so !@@$% odd.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

He clearly has an axe to grind. Maybe he's a big Apple Fanboi and is opposed to anything Google does on general principle?

What ever the case may be, he's clearly throwing venom at a company who, yes, is in it for the money, but actually wants to revolutionize the industry.... for their own benefits AND ours!
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

And i don't like Apple either thank you. Got any more things I am?

And they do NOT want to revolutionize the industry. This will NOT change anything. If the MSOs wanted to do this they could every easily. The same as with AT&T

And being in Tulsa- this does NOT benefit you.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis

Premium Member

said by hottboiinnc4:

And being in Tulsa- this does NOT benefit you.

Being in Cleveland, this does NOT harm you.
What's your point?
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to Alex J

to Alex J
ATT does NOT demand to be above the actual requirement for safety of linemen and then demand they will NOT pay them their wages. such as Google did. ATT also is NOT making people beg for services to build "fiberhoods" the same as Google, just to get another Press Release out.

And a beta means Google will NEVER keep this project, the same as the Nexus unlocked phone beta, they dropped that like a rock after it did NOT take off. The same as this will.

And AT&T made it easy for companies like Google to actually enter the TV market. Google didn't have to go to KC they went to the state.

techguyga
Premium Member
join:2003-12-31

techguyga

Premium Member

Wasn't Gmail originally a beta program?
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
What are TWC's prices for gigabit symmetric FTTH service? Oh, right, I forgot. They don't have even 50M symmetric. Those ROW fees have got to be paid some way or other, even if TWC is paying more for them (and passing the prices on to a semi-captive customer base).
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

And yes TWC does have those available, has since the network went FTTN. Just pay for them. Oh wait, that's not the thing anyone wants, they want it for FREE.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4
No... because they have utility ROW rights!
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

the same as ANYONE ELSE that wants to pay for them. Pay for them or don't use them. It's that easy. Instead Google doesn't think they should have to pay for them.

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden

Premium Member

Yea, and all those companies likely to be laying fiber down in Chicago soon should have to pay for that too. I mean, why should the city allow a company to do something that benefits the city without making them pay an arm and a leg too?

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4
Is Google even getting the opportunity to pay for these channels? It sounds a lot like the issue that Verizon FiOS TV had with the Dolan's refusing to make HD channels available, at any price.

•••
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4
Where does it say that Google does not want to pay for access to the channel?
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to elray

to elray
Just out of curiosity being I did not click into any links or read more that what was posted above, but did it specifically say Google was not willing to pay to obtain the networks or are you just talking to hear yourself talk again?
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

hottboiinnc4

TWC

TWC should spin those channels over to its former Parent company; TW and let them bring in the $$$$. Time Warner owns a HUGE amount of networks; including HBO. So I wouldn't be surprised if they don't carry that either.

And Google knew about these "problems" before. And I agree with TWC. They want access; they need to pay. The same as any other carrier- you don't see Dish out crying because they don't won't pay what AMC wants for that network, or AT&T out crying about Hallmark.

Its time for Google to stand up on their own two feet and move on without them. The people will decide if its worth getting at that point. And Google should be smacked around for requiring to purchase Internet if the customer just wants TV. Illegal bundling.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

Who cares about the TV when you've got gigabit?

Really, With a 1g net connection you can watch anything you'd need and be able to order a pair of rabbit ears online.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus

Re: Who cares about the TV when you've got gigabit?

Google will sell more internet connections by offering a complete TV package for sale. If Google can bust a content monopoly while improving the internet access market, good for them and good for everyone.

If Google only sold TV on their fiber optic line, I'd be upset.

VZSUX
@optonline.net

VZSUX

Anon

buy fios

Google should just buy Verizon Fios network, since they have agreements in place, and because they are not expanding it, Google would
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

winning side..

Google is on the winning side.. while Verizon sold out to the lowest common denominator of greed, google can stay true to the purpose of being and ISP more than a content provider.. if the nasty cable companies don't want to play fair.. there's a high likelihood the consumers will find ways of getting access to what they want... through legit means if possible, but let's make no mistake about WHAT the killer app is for GIGABIT internet... these companies are very nieve to think that google will care about their content enough to police it any better than they do on their ISP networks..

••••
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M

wow

that's crap!, Timewarner is nothing but a bully, their trying to stop Google by the only way they can sports.. I hope Google shows Timewaner who's boss
Cobra11M

Cobra11M

hmm

Google should buy Verizon fiber fios build.. but the thing is will they? doubtful, then again maybe not.., who knows, either way Google is a game changer and we don't see them that often anymore

AT&T, Verizon and others believe they are innovators but they never really made anything within the last 10 years..

AT&T/ Ma-Bell did create some fascinating things back in the day but charged people for it..

now days its a different story, these 2 company's would rather increase rates than innovate or compete with each other

Google on the other hand is a powerhouse if they wanted to start a fiber build they can do that, their is nothing stopping them from going in to new york or where ever as long as the population is right

Google is using this as a testbed not only for apps, developers, but also to see what people could use this speed for and see if its a viable thing for them to pursue in the future (long term) it would still take many years for them to even decide if they will expand.. once and if they do fiber will possibly will drop quite a bit, we have seen this in the last 5 years if the price is still dropping and copper is rising the time is coming, but we may have to wait at least 10 years to see the actual results..

our world is changing don't think just because cable wire is their now that it will be the same within 10 years.. a lot can happen, and with that I hope to see the cable cos actually fall