spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-09-27 10:35:14: Comcast has confirmed that their new 305 Mbps down, 65 Mbps up tier will be deployed using fiber to the home, not DOCSIS 3.0. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA

pathetic

only 305mbps over fiber? wtf is that?!

Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
kudos:1

Left in the dust

Suddenly my 12 Meg DSL connection looks like....dialup.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
how about make it 130$

AnonFTW

@rr.com
reply to ArrayList

Re: pathetic

said by ArrayList:

"Only 305Mbps?" They still have to have sufficient bandwidth at the aggregation points (POPs) where all these last mile connections are muxed.

What irritates me is they are still providing an asymmetrical speed. Just make it symmetrical 305Mbps Comcast.

Regardless, this looks like a knee-jerk reaction to FiOS and not a long term solution since it's delivered over Metro-E.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2

3 recommendations

reply to ArrayList
It's Comcast remaining competitive. I thought that's what consumers wanted.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
reply to JigglyWiggly

Re: Left in the dust

or $70/mo... or free with a $300 install fee.

Does Comcast expect to get good press on this? Because in comparison to Google Fiber it looks like a slap in the groin.

Traffic84

@sunwave.com.br

Connecticut?

There's no fios in Hartford. That's AT&T land.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
reply to AnonFTW

What would they use in place of Metro Ethernet?

N10Cities
Premium
join:2002-05-07
Fort Smith, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to tiger72

said by tiger72:

or $70/mo... or free with a $300 install fee.

Does Comcast expect to get good press on this? Because in comparison to Google Fiber it looks like a slap in the groin.

More like a swift kick...

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to openbox9

The average consumer doesn't know what they want. I want them to man up actually USE that fiber.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Ok with this can we get the added HBO, max,show , starz HD??

Ok with this can we get the added HBO, max, show , starz HD channels back??

as well other stuff like goal line HD, Bigten ALT HD, pac12 HD (only hd in very small areas) and the FULL HD line up for MLB EI, NHL CI, MLS DK, and NBA LP??

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

You're seriously griping about 300+mbit/s service? Get some damn perspective! Most home LANs are still 10/100. They are offering three times that bandwidth, for an internet connection, what the hell is the problem?

The only question I'd ask is why it isn't being offered as a symmetrical product? Hell, I'd rather have 100mbit/s symmetrical than 305/65, but that's just me. Perhaps they don't want to rock the traffic balancing boat and muck up their peering arrangements? That could theoretically be an issue with the bittorrent kiddies, though one has to wonder if there are enough of them to make a significant difference. Are people who aren't willing to pay for movies/software/etc really willing to pay $300/mo to help others avoid paying?

And yes, I know, there are legal uses for bittorrent, but every legal swarm I've ever joined was already seeded to the point that I couldn't even contribute my full ADSL bandwidth, let alone the speed we're talking about here.

JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 edit
reply to tiger72

Except Comcast is a company out to make a profit, who is actually expanding their coverage, while Google is a company who's going to loose money on their network for years, hasn't connected a single home yet, and got all sorts of sweetheart benefits from the Kansas City government that no other ISP has gotten.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to tiger72
said by tiger72:

Google Fiber is only available in select 'fiberhoods' which are for the most part located where no other decent broadband options are available. If you want GF, you currently have to relocate to Kansas City.

JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to DaSneaky1D

said by DaSneaky1D:

What would they use in place of Metro Ethernet?

Actual fiber? Although I suppose it doesn't make a difference at these speeds and distances. And it isn't clear if they're using fiber or ethernet for their metro-e installs.

Kommie
Premium
join:2003-05-13
united state
kudos:3
reply to Traffic84

Re: Connecticut?

They have FIOS in Greenwich, and Stamford.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
reply to Crookshanks

Most home lans are still 10/100? I haven't seen a router or even an onboard ethernet port on a motherboard that doesn't support gigabit in quite a few years, among those that actually go to the trouble of building a home lan, and don't just rely on slower wifi as most people do.

I think most of us (myself included) have upgraded to gigabit by now.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

All that's needed

All that's needed is an 8x4 channel bonding DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Easily deployed on a DOCSIS 3.0 cable plant that has 8x4 channel bonding enabled.

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
reply to ArrayList

Shirley, you can't be serious.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

4 recommendations

Missing The Story

Many of you are missing the real story, here.

1. Somebody's actually deploying new fiber.

2. This is a direct result of something that's missing in a large part of the U.S.: Competition.

If this turns out to be real, and it turns out it makes money for Comcast, and it turns out it makes VZW sweat, perhaps VZW will up their game. Then Comcast will have to up their game, in response. Perhaps you can see where this is going?

And maybe, just maybe, Comcast will find "Hey, that wasn't so hard. Plus customers really like it and we can make money at it," and choose to deploy it elsewhere... such as in God-forsaken "AT&T" land--against that company's lame DSL-on-steroids. (Tho there's little need, being as Comcast already trounces "AT&T" with their cable product.)

We can hope.

Funny, it would be, if a cable company ended-up being the premier end-user data provider in the U.S., would it not?

Jim

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

Re: All that's needed

said by IowaCowboy:

All that's needed is an 8x4 channel bonding DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Easily deployed on a DOCSIS 3.0 cable plant that has 8x4 channel bonding enabled.

Really? Docsis 3.0 over 8 channels has a theoretical upper limit of 304 Mbps. Real life results would be much less than that.

metroman

@pvusd.net
reply to JTR

metro ethernet is delivered over fiber

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to axus
Quit calling him Shirley.

N10Cities
Premium
join:2002-05-07
Fort Smith, AR
reply to jseymour

Re: Missing The Story

If this were Slashdot, I would mod your comment 'insightful'. Well said!

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

2 recommendations

reply to ArrayList

Listen,

Cable is already fibre to the node. It's only the "last mile" where it gets converted to coax that it is in question.

Comcast by waiting has made a much better decision to go w/ ethernet over fibre versus the PON model which costs way more and is less flexible (FiOS). I said this a few days back.

Now there are always restrictions w/ new service especially when they are moving to fibre because lets face it they will need stick time before they get this right.

This is also targeted toward power users or business users and this will be extremely profitable.

All in all people should be cheering that this is happening because once they break the seal (as it were) they are going to have a hard time justifying old skool cable in 10 years out in the boonies. In any case cable is way better positioned that DSL just because the technology is easy to upgrade and 15 mbps will stream multiple HD streams today.

I think this is great. The more fibre that gets run the better. My only issue is that this is WAY less efficient than what happens in the other utilities in the house (you only get one gas, elec, hydro). Until someone opens their eyes and treats this like a utility, the US will remain 3rd world in internet speed and penetration. This is easily solved by providing a fibre drop, and then a utility node where this can be strung to said competitors POP. Imagine the possibilities with open competition fibre to the house.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to JTR
Ethernet is just the layer 2 protocol used to transport traffic. Fiber would just be the physical medium to connect the service.

Metro Ethernet is a very common (and still progressing) protocol being used to deliver a very wide variety of services these days. This is happening in place of using SONET or some other TDM infrastructure.

I just ask my question because the anon poster made it sound as if Metro-E was some sort of backwards technology.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jseymour

Considering all the costs associated with this, I suspect about 8 people will sign up for the service regionwide.

$500 to install, $300 a month for the service, overage fees might come into play soon enough (It is Comcast, remember), and of course, there's geographic limitations as to who can get it within the Northeast.

If anything, this is just going to be used as an example of how there's no demand for FTTH, when the reality is the cost is ridiculous.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11

Just to save face

This offering is really just to save face, they don't want to admit that they can't offer the same speeds FiOS can.
I'm also fairly sure they won't mention the fact that it's delivered over FTTH in their marketing.
This is priced such that it will rarely be ordered, and not always available. It's just for PR.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to MovieLover76

"Most home lans are still 10/100?"

Absolutely. DSLR and it's readers do NOT represent the majority of homes it represents a very small section of what people really have.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Os

said by Os:

.......... is the cost is ridiculous.

You apparently have no idea what a dedicate line costs from most other sources, if any is available.
this is a very reasonably priced, business class line, which will meet or excced bandwidth needs of most small businesses and can be scaled up to fill the needs of any enterprise.
If you would drop your strawmen about cost and non existant caps, you MIGHT actuallly recognize the gaint step forward this is for business grade competition not just another reseller of telco services.