spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-09-27 14:07:35: Back in August word leaked out that Dish was going to start selling a nationwide satellite broadband offering, and today the company confirmed the service is going live next week. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

Cue whiners crying it isn't as good as FiOS

But to those in the sticks, with no choice but dialup running at 24kbaud, even low cap broadband is welcome, especially at a sub-$50 price tag. Is it as good as cable HSI or FiOS? Duh. But better than nothing or dialup? Hell yeah. Even simple browsing is getting horribly painful on dialup as pages are designed media rich for broadband. So even if you can't run Netflix 24-7 you can get way more done with SRS internet.

10-20GB is way more cap than most 4G puck providers and latency isn't an issue unless you are playing shooters on it.

NJBoricua75
Born And Raised

join:2000-09-13
Brooklyn, NY

What's the latency gonna be?

1,000,000ms?

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

what's the latency on this stuff these days?

Sat broadband still isn't suitable for games right?
--
"WHEN THE LAUGH TRACK STARTS THEN THE FUN STARTS!"

ShellMMG

join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to skeechan

Re: Cue whiners crying it isn't as good as FiOS

I agree with you, skeechan. This is a big improvement over +$70/mo 1.5Mb speeds and 10GB FAP policies.

I read their press release and didn't find some important info, such as how they'll handle the latency problem? When we were with Wildblue it was so bad I couldn't do online banking because the SSL would time out and real-time tasks were impossible. Also, will they use a FAP using cap-and-throttle or can you purchase a bucket of GB if you need to go over?

Financially it's priced to compete with VZW's home LTE service. Give up a little latency in exchange for a reasonable price and 10 more GB a month. I really hope it works out well!

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
reply to NJBoricua75

Re: What's the latency gonna be?

If they're using ViaSat-1, around 600ms. The new HughesNet sat is probably similar. It'll get worse over tiem though.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to inteller

Re: what's the latency on this stuff these days?

See my post above.

And no, gaming would be horrid over this connection. Until some sat ISP pwns the laws of physics geostationary satellites will continue to exhibit this huge latency disadvantage.

Then again, this is for folks who can't get anything else.
Expand your moderator at work

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to skeechan

No Netflix on this for sure!

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Miami, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Sign me up!

Logs online uses Youtube HD Quality , Run Windows Updates and then download games off Steam.

1st day capped reached !

Oh ! Noooes!

NiteSn0w

join:2010-12-24
reply to NJBoricua75

238.738494ms Minimum RTT to the satellite.
477.476988ms Minimum RTT from you to the satellite's ground station and then whatever latency you have from the ground station to the server you're trying to communicate with. Web page load time can be reduced by 50-60% if they're using HTTP caching on the satellite.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Caps, lol

What can you do with 20GB or 10GB in a month that you cant do on dial up?
A 768K connection can download 250GB a month.
You can download 18 GB a month on $5 56K dialup.
These caps are a joke.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

reply to skeechan

The point is that they are ripping you off with their per byte charging.
On $5 56k dialup you can download 18 GB a month.

It should always be unlimited as the infrastructure for peak usage always exponentially outweighs the per GB cost.

PastTense

join:2011-07-06
united state

How does it compare to competitors?

How does it compare to the other satellite broadband providers?

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to ShellMMG

This one is to compete squarely w/ cantenna and maybe to a lesser extent the other sat providers. What this does however is now get the 2 play (voip still out of the question), but if one goes w/ a cell phone home voice is handled.

TBH 20 GB will get you the internet and mild streaming, however this will not allow cloud streaming (netflix, amazon, itunes). So w/ tv and DVR this is circa 2005.

Pete7874

join:2005-07-14
Addison, IL
reply to PastTense

Re: How does it compare to competitors?

It's somewhat comparable to what Wildblue currently offers. They have three plans with 7.5 GB, 15 GB, and 25 GB usage caps, respectively.
--
Comcast HSI | Linksys BEFCMU10 modem | ASUS RT-N16 router on Tomato 1.28 (Shibby)

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US

Still not up to par...

I have to admit I was expecting a cap but I was originally expecting them to shake up the market in the range of 100GB for $50 @ 10 mbps as that would be an interesting competitor to dial up and even those on DSL service. ( boy was I dreaming!)

@ 10 Gb monthly max its still a non competitive option to dsl/ cable or fios and it will make those in rural areas on dial up still think twice ( if they understand the limitations at least).

I myself am waiting on someone to perfect data upstream on MVDDS and the FCC adopt the tech( believe me If I could I would). That in my opinion will shake up the satellite (ground based) broadband ISPs and give dsl/cable and even fios a run for its money. I won't mind shooting A dish at 500+ ft cell tower for HSI up to 50 miles away vs shooting At something the size of a small SUV 22,000 miles away.

lemmytech

join:2008-08-19
Rochester, NY

It's 2000-2001 all over again

Now we just need Gilat and Microsoft to join the fray.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

Going to be limited....

The 10mbps service will be restricted to the regions served by Hughes Net's new satellite.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

1 recommendation

reply to Oh_No

Not with satellite it doesn't.

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to PastTense

Re: How does it compare to competitors?

said by PastTense:

How does it compare to the other satellite broadband providers?

Actually more affordable. However, you do not get extra night time usage. Exede has unlimited usage at night which is extremely beneficial.

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to elefante72

Voip is not out of the question. Personally I would not use it over satellite, but a lot of people are using voip on Exede and many no doubt plan to use it on Hughes' new service. It works.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to skeechan
said by skeechan:

10-20GB is way more cap than most 4G puck providers and latency isn't an issue unless you are playing shooters on it.

I'll Give you that, however there is one thing you must remember when comparing theses services, the "pucks" are Portable! as so your paying extra for portability.

Where is the breakthrough MVDDS when you need it?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
I pay Clear the same price for stationary and puck, $50/mo unlimited and by unlimited I mean unlimited, not AT&T's definition of unlimited (I used 180GB of 4G data at my office last month).

CLuserinCO

@qwest.net
reply to silbaco

Re: Going to be limited....

This is really just re-branded HughesNet. Remember, Echostar bought Hughes, and Echostar is the service provider for Dish.

NJBoricua75
Born And Raised

Brooklyn, NY
reply to iansltx

said by iansltx:

If they're using ViaSat-1, around 600ms. The new HughesNet sat is probably similar. It'll get worse over tiem though.

That's awful. They can't do nothing about that right? That has to deal with the distance between the satellite and earth. It's like millions and millions of miles

Jtaylor83

@bellsouth.net

DirecTV launches Satellite Broadband?

DirecTV used to work with HughesNet but now they want to go solo and launch their own broadband. Once DirecTV satellite broadband is launched, I'm leaving AT&T's outdated landline because they are following Verizon's footsteps to leave rural areas in the dark. I will use only AT&T wireless phones for calling.

NJBoricua75
Born And Raised

Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

I'd get Verizon HomeFusion instead

Their 10GB cap plan is $60. Sure it's $20 more but worth it. Faster speeds on LTE and latency will be waaaaaaay better. Dish wants $40 plus equipment fees and only if it's bundled. Nah it's a no-brainer if I were a rural customer. Shell out the extra $20

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

reply to NJBoricua75

said by NJBoricua75:

said by iansltx:

That's awful. They can't do nothing about that right? That has to deal with the distance between the satellite and earth. It's like millions and millions of miles

No not millions. Hell the moon is only 240,000 miles away.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

Are these caps a joke?

5 Mbps downstream, 1 Mbps upstream with a 10 GB monthly usage cap for $40 a month (plus equipment fees).

Cell phone providers do better than this on 3G speeds...

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to NJBoricua75

Re: I'd get Verizon HomeFusion instead

said by NJBoricua75:

Their 10mbps cap plan is $60. Sure it's $20 more but worth it. Faster speeds on LTE and latency will be waaaaaaay better. Dish wants $40 plus equipment fees and only if it's bundled. Nah it's a no-brainer if I were a rural customer. Shell out the extra $20

No brainer?

DishNetwork 20 GB plan; $50 plus equipment fee. No overage.
HomeFusion 20 GB plan; $90 and $10 per GB overage.

Also if you don't have Verizon's 4G in your area yet you can't get HomeFusion.