spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-09-27 14:07:35: Back in August word leaked out that Dish was going to start selling a nationwide satellite broadband offering, and today the company confirmed the service is going live next week. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to elefante72

Re: Cue whiners crying it isn't as good as FiOS

Voip is not out of the question. Personally I would not use it over satellite, but a lot of people are using voip on Exede and many no doubt plan to use it on Hughes' new service. It works.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to skeechan
said by skeechan:

10-20GB is way more cap than most 4G puck providers and latency isn't an issue unless you are playing shooters on it.

I'll Give you that, however there is one thing you must remember when comparing theses services, the "pucks" are Portable! as so your paying extra for portability.

Where is the breakthrough MVDDS when you need it?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
I pay Clear the same price for stationary and puck, $50/mo unlimited and by unlimited I mean unlimited, not AT&T's definition of unlimited (I used 180GB of 4G data at my office last month).

CLuserinCO

@qwest.net
reply to silbaco

Re: Going to be limited....

This is really just re-branded HughesNet. Remember, Echostar bought Hughes, and Echostar is the service provider for Dish.

NJBoricua75
Born And Raised

join:2000-09-13
Brooklyn, NY
reply to iansltx

Re: What's the latency gonna be?

said by iansltx:

If they're using ViaSat-1, around 600ms. The new HughesNet sat is probably similar. It'll get worse over tiem though.

That's awful. They can't do nothing about that right? That has to deal with the distance between the satellite and earth. It's like millions and millions of miles

Jtaylor83

@bellsouth.net

DirecTV launches Satellite Broadband?

DirecTV used to work with HughesNet but now they want to go solo and launch their own broadband. Once DirecTV satellite broadband is launched, I'm leaving AT&T's outdated landline because they are following Verizon's footsteps to leave rural areas in the dark. I will use only AT&T wireless phones for calling.

NJBoricua75
Born And Raised

Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

I'd get Verizon HomeFusion instead

Their 10GB cap plan is $60. Sure it's $20 more but worth it. Faster speeds on LTE and latency will be waaaaaaay better. Dish wants $40 plus equipment fees and only if it's bundled. Nah it's a no-brainer if I were a rural customer. Shell out the extra $20

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

reply to NJBoricua75

Re: What's the latency gonna be?

said by NJBoricua75:

said by iansltx:

If they're using ViaSat-1, around 600ms. The new HughesNet sat is probably similar. It'll get worse over tiem though.

That's awful. They can't do nothing about that right? That has to deal with the distance between the satellite and earth. It's like millions and millions of miles

No not millions. Hell the moon is only 240,000 miles away.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

Are these caps a joke?

5 Mbps downstream, 1 Mbps upstream with a 10 GB monthly usage cap for $40 a month (plus equipment fees).

Cell phone providers do better than this on 3G speeds...

Premium
West Tenness
reply to NJBoricua75

Re: I'd get Verizon HomeFusion instead

said by NJBoricua75:

Their 10mbps cap plan is $60. Sure it's $20 more but worth it. Faster speeds on LTE and latency will be waaaaaaay better. Dish wants $40 plus equipment fees and only if it's bundled. Nah it's a no-brainer if I were a rural customer. Shell out the extra $20

No brainer?

DishNetwork 20 GB plan; $50 plus equipment fee. No overage.
HomeFusion 20 GB plan; $90 and $10 per GB overage.

Also if you don't have Verizon's 4G in your area yet you can't get HomeFusion.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to PapaMidnight

Re: Are these caps a joke?

said by PapaMidnight:

5 Mbps downstream, 1 Mbps upstream with a 10 GB monthly usage cap for $40 a month (plus equipment fees).

Name them

NJBoricua75
Born And Raised

Brooklyn, NY
reply to 88615298

Re: I'd get Verizon HomeFusion instead

I was comparing the 10GB plan not the 20 and obviously yes if LTE isn't available in your area you can't get it. But I heard Verizon has 80% of the country now supposedly. Whatever. Personally I'd choose it over Satellite any day. Even the 20GB package. Latency on Satellite is awful. I couldn't deal with it

verizonlteda

@myvzw.com
reply to 88615298
Yup no brainer low pings vs high, hmmm where should ii go ? tuff one.

anon202

@rr.com
reply to Oh_No

Re: Caps, lol

I see that 18GB on 56k per month trumpeted a lot.

That is assuming you can get the full 53.333 for 24/7/30 days a month. And assume a provider lets to stay logged on that long. In reality, you see 41.200 or so in places where satellite competes.

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to Oh_No

said by Oh_No:

The point is that they are ripping you off with their per byte charging.
On $5 56k dialup you can download 18 GB a month.

I did the math and, yea, it would take 29 days at 24/7 to download 18 GB at 56kbit (assuming a solid 56kbs every second).

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to silbaco
I guess. I used to work on sats. The latency and priority access is the problem. It's sorta like using nextel though.

There are many affordable cell programs out there for voice and text, so one doesn't have to go through that pain.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

who's the actual provider??

Is this service running off Viasat's EXEDE or Hughes GEN4?

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
reply to ShellMMG

Latency problem? Not much you can do, Shooting to space, back down, back up and back down, simply takes time, even at the speed of light.......

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada

1 recommendation

reply to Oh_No
said by Oh_No:

It should always be unlimited as the infrastructure for peak usage always exponentially outweighs the per GB cost.

except, you also need a phone line, so no, it's not $5 a month.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to Andy from CA
The point isn't how long it takes you do DL 18GB, but now long to DL 3MB. At 28.8 it's 15 minutes, at 10Mb, 2 seconds.

I'll take SRS over dial up any day.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
reply to PapaMidnight

Re: Are these caps a joke?

system lag, duplicate.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..

1 edit
reply to PapaMidnight
Theoretical limit for EVDO 3G is 3.1mbps and some of that is reserved by the tower.....

You'll never see 5mbps on CDMA/EVDO 3g!

said by PapaMidnight:

sharkyyoung
Premium
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV
reply to compuguybna

Re: who's the actual provider??

Gen4

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

Going to start?

isn't this the same rubbish by another name.
got a bad rep, change your name hughesnet.
--
Despises any post with strings.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to brianiscool

Re: Sign me up!

said by brianiscool:

Logs online uses Youtube HD Quality , Run Windows Updates and then download games off Steam.

1st day capped reached !

Oh ! Noooes!

3 hd youtube vids, and windows update you're FAPped. FORGET STEAM.
--
Despises any post with strings.

tanzam75

join:2012-07-19
reply to Andy from CA

said by Andy from CA:

I did the math and, yea, it would take 29 days at 24/7 to download 18 GB at 56kbit (assuming a solid 56kbs every second).

If you live in a rural area and can't get DSL, then your phone lines are probably bad enough that you can't max out the 56 Kbps connection.

Back in the POTS modem days, I topped out in the mid-30s. And I live in a suburb that was largely developed in the 1960s.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL
reply to prairiesky
said by prairiesky:

said by Oh_No:

It should always be unlimited as the infrastructure for peak usage always exponentially outweighs the per GB cost.

except, you also need a phone line, so no, it's not $5 a month.

Of course, but the phone line price has nothing to do with the internet connection. It is a voice line.
I think the cheapest barebones unlimited local phone line you can get is like $15 though ATT.

But dialup is a very nice comparison as satellite has no physical line costs to the home. The physical network to internet starts at the head end just like with dial up.
Obviously the satellite costs 100s millions of dollars, but the internet is a freebie in addition to the tv subscriptions they use it for.

Either way satellite is competing with 18GB for $5 a month dialup when they have arbitrary 10GB and 20GB caps.

perkqlater

join:2009-07-25
Mechanicsville, VA

Walk a mile in my shoes...

Ok I am writing this at 50.6 baud so you highspeed users might have to wait till it gets posted. I am one of those rural boonie homeowners. I live 6 miles from the main road and the same distance from a cell tower...so no bars. The trees are 100 ft tall so there aren't many options for an antenna to help. I have tried it but it isn't very reliable for what I was paying. The cable TV drops off the last pole about 2 miles down the road and I am about 2 miles from DSL, if Verizon upgraded the switch, which they say they won't. When I moved out here, dial-up was the only option for anyone anywhere. Now that things have changed, it hasn't out reached us out here. There are kids out here that I am sure could use something faster to get online for school. Also others would like to work from home or just do regular business on the internet. This isn't the wide open range where you see acres and acres of farmland. Lots of people live out here and most aren't farmers. 200k to 900k houses with a little land. There is no reason why I don't have better broadband, other than the carriers are too busy upgrading the urban areas and could care less about the rural areas. I have been waiting to see if the "new" satellite broadband was going to be worth it. It is a little more expensive than I would like but it beats dial-up. I don't need to watch a bunch of movies or play games online. I would just like to pay my bills online or read the news and not have to wait 5 or 10 minutes for it to load. I don't like the caps but it's a start till something better comes along. Sorry for the rant but it seems most people don't understand what it is like "way" out here 12 miles from the city.
Flannigan Mill Rd-Mechanicsville,Va

jhejr2

join:2010-10-10
Verona, MS

1 recommendation

Satellite Broadband

A freind lives where there is no dsl or cable. Paying $19.95 a month for dial-up. The best speed is 19.2 or it will not connect at all. A lot of people like him and myself that live on a retirement income. This is welcome news to us.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Oh_No

said by Oh_No:

Either way satellite is competing with 18GB for $5 a month dialup when they have arbitrary 10GB and 20GB caps.

No it's not. $50 1000KB/s Satellite is competing with $5 3KB/s dial up.

Satellite represents usability where as dialup is unusable for virtually everything including basic surfing.