dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-09-27 14:07:35: Back in August word leaked out that Dish was going to start selling a nationwide satellite broadband offering, and today the company confirmed the service is going live next week. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to PapaMidnight

to PapaMidnight

Re: Are these caps a joke?

said by PapaMidnight:

5 Mbps downstream, 1 Mbps upstream with a 10 GB monthly usage cap for $40 a month (plus equipment fees).

Cell phone providers do better than this on 3G speeds...

Name them

NJBoricua75
Born And Raised
join:2000-09-13
Brooklyn, NY

NJBoricua75 to 88615298

to 88615298

Re: I'd get Verizon HomeFusion instead

I was comparing the 10GB plan not the 20 and obviously yes if LTE isn't available in your area you can't get it. But I heard Verizon has 80% of the country now supposedly. Whatever. Personally I'd choose it over Satellite any day. Even the 20GB package. Latency on Satellite is awful. I couldn't deal with it

verizonlteda
@myvzw.com

verizonlteda to 88615298

Anon

to 88615298
Yup no brainer low pings vs high, hmmm where should ii go ? tuff one.

anon202
@rr.com

anon202 to Oh_No

Anon

to Oh_No

Re: Caps, lol

I see that 18GB on 56k per month trumpeted a lot.

That is assuming you can get the full 53.333 for 24/7/30 days a month. And assume a provider lets to stay logged on that long. In reality, you see 41.200 or so in places where satellite competes.

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA to Oh_No

Premium Member

to Oh_No

Re: Cue whiners crying it isn't as good as FiOS

said by Oh_No:

The point is that they are ripping you off with their per byte charging.
On $5 56k dialup you can download 18 GB a month.

I did the math and, yea, it would take 29 days at 24/7 to download 18 GB at 56kbit (assuming a solid 56kbs every second).
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to silbaco

to silbaco
I guess. I used to work on sats. The latency and priority access is the problem. It's sorta like using nextel though.

There are many affordable cell programs out there for voice and text, so one doesn't have to go through that pain.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

who's the actual provider??

Is this service running off Viasat's EXEDE or Hughes GEN4?
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to ShellMMG

to ShellMMG

Latency problem? Not much you can do, Shooting to space, back down, back up and back down, simply takes time, even at the speed of light.......
prairiesky

1 recommendation

prairiesky to Oh_No

to Oh_No
said by Oh_No:

It should always be unlimited as the infrastructure for peak usage always exponentially outweighs the per GB cost.

except, you also need a phone line, so no, it's not $5 a month.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Andy from CA

Premium Member

to Andy from CA
The point isn't how long it takes you do DL 18GB, but now long to DL 3MB. At 28.8 it's 15 minutes, at 10Mb, 2 seconds.

I'll take SRS over dial up any day.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to PapaMidnight

to PapaMidnight

system lag, duplicate.
compuguybna

1 edit

to PapaMidnight
Theoretical limit for EVDO 3G is 3.1mbps and some of that is reserved by the tower.....

You'll never see 5mbps on CDMA/EVDO 3g!
said by PapaMidnight:

5 Mbps downstream, 1 Mbps upstream with a 10 GB monthly usage cap for $40 a month (plus equipment fees).

sharkyyoung
Premium Member
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

sharkyyoung to compuguybna

Premium Member

to compuguybna

Re: who's the actual provider??

Gen4

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Going to start?

isn't this the same rubbish by another name.
got a bad rep, change your name hughesnet.
dvd536

dvd536 to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool

Re: Sign me up!

said by brianiscool:

Logs online uses Youtube HD Quality , Run Windows Updates and then download games off Steam.

1st day capped reached !

Oh ! Noooes!

3 hd youtube vids, and windows update you're FAPped. FORGET STEAM.
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

tanzam75 to Andy from CA

to Andy from CA

said by Andy from CA:

I did the math and, yea, it would take 29 days at 24/7 to download 18 GB at 56kbit (assuming a solid 56kbs every second).

If you live in a rural area and can't get DSL, then your phone lines are probably bad enough that you can't max out the 56 Kbps connection.

Back in the POTS modem days, I topped out in the mid-30s. And I live in a suburb that was largely developed in the 1960s.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to prairiesky

to prairiesky
said by prairiesky:

said by Oh_No:

It should always be unlimited as the infrastructure for peak usage always exponentially outweighs the per GB cost.

except, you also need a phone line, so no, it's not $5 a month.

Of course, but the phone line price has nothing to do with the internet connection. It is a voice line.
I think the cheapest barebones unlimited local phone line you can get is like $15 though ATT.

But dialup is a very nice comparison as satellite has no physical line costs to the home. The physical network to internet starts at the head end just like with dial up.
Obviously the satellite costs 100s millions of dollars, but the internet is a freebie in addition to the tv subscriptions they use it for.

Either way satellite is competing with 18GB for $5 a month dialup when they have arbitrary 10GB and 20GB caps.
perkqlater
join:2009-07-25
Mechanicsville, VA

perkqlater

Walk a mile in my shoes...

Ok I am writing this at 50.6 baud so you highspeed users might have to wait till it gets posted. I am one of those rural boonie homeowners. I live 6 miles from the main road and the same distance from a cell tower...so no bars. The trees are 100 ft tall so there aren't many options for an antenna to help. I have tried it but it isn't very reliable for what I was paying. The cable TV drops off the last pole about 2 miles down the road and I am about 2 miles from DSL, if Verizon upgraded the switch, which they say they won't. When I moved out here, dial-up was the only option for anyone anywhere. Now that things have changed, it hasn't out reached us out here. There are kids out here that I am sure could use something faster to get online for school. Also others would like to work from home or just do regular business on the internet. This isn't the wide open range where you see acres and acres of farmland. Lots of people live out here and most aren't farmers. 200k to 900k houses with a little land. There is no reason why I don't have better broadband, other than the carriers are too busy upgrading the urban areas and could care less about the rural areas. I have been waiting to see if the "new" satellite broadband was going to be worth it. It is a little more expensive than I would like but it beats dial-up. I don't need to watch a bunch of movies or play games online. I would just like to pay my bills online or read the news and not have to wait 5 or 10 minutes for it to load. I don't like the caps but it's a start till something better comes along. Sorry for the rant but it seems most people don't understand what it is like "way" out here 12 miles from the city.
Flannigan Mill Rd-Mechanicsville,Va

jhejr2
join:2010-10-10
Verona, MS

1 recommendation

jhejr2

Satellite Broadband

A freind lives where there is no dsl or cable. Paying $19.95 a month for dial-up. The best speed is 19.2 or it will not connect at all. A lot of people like him and myself that live on a retirement income. This is welcome news to us.

jasonwalnoha
@att.net

jasonwalnoha to compuguybna

Anon

to compuguybna

att 3g iphone 4s
»www.speedtest.net/iphone ··· 2765.png

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Oh_No

Premium Member

to Oh_No

said by Oh_No:

Either way satellite is competing with 18GB for $5 a month dialup when they have arbitrary 10GB and 20GB caps.

No it's not. $50 1000KB/s Satellite is competing with $5 3KB/s dial up.

Satellite represents usability where as dialup is unusable for virtually everything including basic surfing.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No

Yes it is.
$50 20 GB a month Satellite is competing with $5 18 GB a month dialup.

If you are at work all day so you can download all day long dialup makes more sense. At the month you still could have only downloaded 5 DVDs or maybe 50 tv shows.

Caps are pathetic. We had no caps from 1995 to 2011 when everyone started trying to rip off customers with per byte billing.
Somehow sprint has no problem with unlimited and dsl was unlimited until 2011.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to jasonwalnoha

to jasonwalnoha

i did say EVDO 3G (cdma)........AT&T is a GSM network (edge, 3g, hspa, hspa+, lte)

Regardless, speedtest.net results are always inflated and inaccurate.
said by jasonwalnoha :

att 3g iphone 4s
»www.speedtest.net/iphone ··· 2765.png

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight to jasonwalnoha

to jasonwalnoha
said by 88615298:

said by PapaMidnight:

Name them

Well, I was going to, but it looks like I just got saved the trouble. For the record, I consistently did ~5-6 Mb/s down and ~1-2 Mb/s up with an average of 20-40ms of latency (to Google Public DNS) with a Motorola Cliq (and that phone was terrible) on T-Mobile with 3G; and that's average data transfer speeds.
sparek
join:2002-06-10
united state

sparek to Oh_No

to Oh_No

While this may be true, theoretically a 56K modem, operating at full blast for an entire month would get about 18GB downloaded. How many people actually use the Internet full blast for an entire month?

The average Internet usage is about 60 to 70 hours a month (at least that's what I found when I searched, feel free to dispute those numbers). Using 65 hours a month as an average for Internet users, that means a 56K user at full blast would get to download about 1.48GB. That's a far cry from the 10GB limit that this entry-level package offers.

Granted, I would assume that 65 hours is actual sit down time that users use the Internet. It probably doesn't include all of the gaming downloads, all of the gaming, all of the movie and music downloading, etc. But I think that is where a disconnect happened between urban users (who are used to broadband Internet) and rural users (who are not). Rural users aren't interested in doing all of that stuff (maybe because they've never been able to and aren't hooked on it just yet). Rural users are mainly interested in being able to go to lowes.com to compare washing machines and appliances before going to the store. (which you really can't do on dialup, maybe if waiting a couple of days for the various pages to load doesn't bother you).

With satellite Internet (and 3G/4G Internet as well) streaming movies and music and all of that fancy stuff is out of the question. But you have to remember these people are used to dialup, and dialup just doesn't cut it any more. I actually think everyone needs to go back to dialup for a week or 2 just to gain an appreciation for all the various broadband options that are available to urban users.

All of that aside, I do agree this 10GB limit is a little bit low. I'd like to see the entry level for satellite packages to be around 30GB a month, that would average out to about 1GB a day. But the $40 price tag is good. I can see this taking off in the rural areas and might serve to really start getting those rural areas off of dialup.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven to NJBoricua75

to NJBoricua75

Re: What's the latency gonna be?

said by NJBoricua75:

That's awful. They can't do nothing about that right? That has to deal with the distance between the satellite and earth. It's like millions and millions of miles

Not millions.. more like 22,230mi. But you can't beat the laws of physics. There will always be that much latency no matter what you do.
SimbaSeven

SimbaSeven to NiteSn0w

to NiteSn0w
Just have a caching proxy and 20TBs worth of SSDs and you'd be set.

How well do hard drives work in the cold vacuum of space?

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to jjeffeory

Premium Member

to jjeffeory

And real-time gaming!

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

to PapaMidnight

Tmobile is a GSM carrier as well.

I love how AT&T used to call HSPA+ 4G.... (the public called it FAKE 4G). Now with 4G LTE, they can really advertise 4G.

Verizon and Sprints CDMA EVDO 3G still never achieves more than 3.1mpbs

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx

Re: what's the latency on this stuff these days?

Depends. I had a decent time playing MMORPGs over my sister's 600ms latency Hughesnet connection. Something that requires more precise timing, like a racer or fps, would be out of the question. Probably would want to take a laptop to some wifi somewhere to download the updates, with these caps. I have fixed line backhauled with my own wireless antennas for the last mile connection, so I already had my clients updated when visiting her. Audio streaming is good on these caps. Got yourmuze.FM mobile streams working on my Linux laptop, which uses the efficient AAC+ codec. Good sound using a low bitrate. Most things are possible on things like satellite. They just take a little planning out. Btw, I prefer VOIP with a 1 sec voice delay on my cell phone using her wifi to the static ridden POTS lines available in rural spots like ours(especially hers). They are probably not even good enough for dial up out there.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next