spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-09-28 16:34:47: September data from the NPD Group indicates that Android users now consume an average of 870 MB of data per month over cellular networks, and 2.5 GB per month on Wi-Fi networks. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

Interesting.

This kind of disproves all the mainstream media outlets who claim Sprint's unlimited plans are unsustainable. If only 4% use more than 3GB, same as At&t, then I would Sprint users do not abuse the unlimited. Marketing unlimited brings people in and if they only use 870MB, Sprint can market them a service and suffer no greater impact than the limited plans offered by Verizon and At&t.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

1 recommendation

The catch here is that, in many places, Sprint's network is not conducive to using a lot of data. When Sprint turns on LTE, I'd expect them to jump to roughly the same level as T-Mobile.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA

1 edit

I'm on a grandfathered Verizon unlimited package. I don't use much data away from WiFi, but the problem is that my phone ( Thunderbolt) has trouble using 3G AND 4G data out in suburban DC. I would use MORE data if I could, but it's a real problem with my phone and I don't want to pay money for another phone to see if that helps ( Another Thunderbolt doesn't have as many problems and the data usage is a LOT higher because it gets used more by another person). I wonder if that many people are having data connectivity problems like me?

coreyography
Premium
join:2010-01-15
Clute, TX

Caps scaring users?

I have Verizon grandfathered unlimited as well. Aside from the fact that I don't watch a lot of video on my too-small-to-watch-much-video phone screen, I use the 3G/LTE for what it is: backup/mobile Internet. I don't consider it a replacement for my wireline service (I often update my phone on wifi at my house), and don't want to even entertain that mindset, as I don't believe I'll be unlimited indefinitely.

I wonder how many people are "scared off" by their capped plans, or feel, as I do, that one day they will be capped.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

said by coreyography:

I have Verizon grandfathered unlimited as well. Aside from the fact that I don't watch a lot of video on my too-small-to-watch-much-video phone screen, I use the 3G/LTE for what it is: backup/mobile Internet. I don't consider it a replacement for my wireline service (I often update my phone on wifi at my house), and don't want to even entertain that mindset, as I don't believe I'll be unlimited indefinitely.

I wonder how many people are "scared off" by their capped plans, or feel, as I do, that one day they will be capped.

You're right on the money. Contrary to the dribble we read here daily, caps are not intended to create overage charges, but to train subscribers to keep their consumption in check - far below the "up to" ceiling.

Far away from the DSLR forum crowd, the average consumer simply doesn't use that much, to begin with, but without the introduction of caps, would learn to expect to watch full-length HD movies on their QXGA tablets.

And while the caps chosen are arbitrary, and far far below the theoretical capacity of the airwaves, given the pathetic spectrum allocation methods our government has chosen, they remain perhaps the best tool to educate the masses and keep response times and throughput reasonable.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

Philly.com

Yesterday there was an story about data usage in my local newspaper and Philly.com.

quote:
As you might imagine, there's a vast difference in how much data different smartphone users actually go through. And while iPhone users were once way ahead of the pack, that's no longer true, according to Validas.com, a Texas company that helps clients manage wireless accounts.

Validas says that in 2012, iPhone owners have so far used an average of 568 megabytes per month - little enough to avoid throttling, if they were on an unlimited-data plan, or overage charges. But the story was different for the highest-end users. The top 5 percent of iPhone users averaged nearly three gigabytes per month, and the top 1 percent of users topped five gigabytes per month.

And owners of some Android smartphones left them in the dust. Topping the list were owners of an HTC Thunderbolt sold for use on Verizon's new LTE network. The top 5 percent of Thunderbolt users averaged more than nine gigabytes per month, and the top 1 percent used more than 27 gigs. Owners of the Motorola Droid Razr weren't far behind.

Read more: »www.philly.com/philly/business/2···7o1JHNKt
--
»www.teamovercome.net/
»www.galaxynexusforum.com/

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to elray

Re: Caps scaring users?

When it comes to caps on wireless, I agree with you. Battling congestion is the main goal in mind when it comes to wireless caps. As we have seen it has not proven to be as effective as the companies wished it would. This is especially true on satellite. But at this point there is really nothing more effective out there. Throttling and QoS can improve overall performance, but they have little impact on eliminating congestion.

However, when it comes to wired services I think it is more about money than anything else. We are seeing caps on even FTTH services. The caps on these services are high enough that they do essentially nothing to counter peak usage, but are excellent at raking in money for usage used on off-peak times. With the exception of some DSL providers that have copper-fed DSLAMs, congestion on wired services is really not that big of an issue. Especially on some of the major providers we have, such as Comcast.

Now with that said, I honestly have a hard time feeling sorry for people who complain about 300GB+ caps. The overwhelming majority of people will not use that much data at all, and if they do, more often than not a large amount of that traffic is illegally acquired content that was downloaded in violation of your ToS anyway.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Home vs Away

The only Wi-Fi network that I use (and trust) is my secure home network. When I am on the go, I use the Verizon Wireless network.

Can't wait to get the iPhone 5, my upgrade eligibility date on Verizon is November 30, 2012. That LTE radio in the iPhone 5 will be nice.
--
I wish I still lived in Iowa; Everything there from rent and groceries to Cable TV is much cheaper in Iowa (especially with an overbuilder in town).

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

wifi blanket

Wifi at home, work, gym, grocery store, auto shop, coffee shop.

No wifi when commuting 20 minutes to/from work, or otherwise actually mobile...

My cellular usage is under 1GB - wifi usage is > 4GB. total would be 5-7GB/mo.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

ArkhmAsylm
Evrythng I need isn't really what I want

join:2006-02-22
Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast

Android user averages

When my wife and I upgraded to Android phones, we bought into the Verizon upgraded 4 GB plan for each of us. On average, I'll use between 2-3 GB per month, and she hit a new high point of 1.75 GB last month.

My usage is racked-up mostly at work or on the road; my wife's is on the bus and at home - both on the VZW network (I've just purchased a router to help with the lousy coverage in our neighborhood). We are in the 45-50y range of users.
--
*Tap, Tap, Tap* Is this thing on?

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Home vs Away

said by IowaCowboy:

The only Wi-Fi network that I use (and trust) is my secure home network.

VPNs are a wonderful thing. Snoop my traffic all day long, it's nothing but udp packets on port 4500, at least from the vantage point of the wi-fi network.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

Caps to to increase

OK if not for Wi-Fi the AVERAGE Android user would use 3.3 GB a month. That's more than the standard 2 GB data package. Also that's right now. Usage has been increasing by 40% a year. In 5 years the AVERAGE user will be using 18 GB. What's the big deal about 4G if you can't use it much? Might as well go back to a basic phone for calling and get a Kindle Fire or such for all the things you have to do on a phone with Wi-Fi.

Heh213

join:2012-06-16
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to silbaco

said by silbaco:

Now with that said, I honestly have a hard time feeling sorry for people who complain about 300GB+ caps. The overwhelming majority of people will not use that much data at all, and if they do, more often than not a large amount of that traffic is illegally acquired content that was downloaded in violation of your ToS anyway.

I can somewhat see where you're coming from, but I am pretty data hungry .

I think it can (even at 300GB+) become a bigger issue with more people in a household. (even more so as data needs increase).

Takes a healthy bit of effort to use up 300GB as a single person even with steam, Netflix, and whatnot, even at fairly high speeds. Divide that by a household of 4 and that leaves you with 75GB per person, or roughly 2.5GB a day which is far from impossible to do in the age of streaming media, large games, and more.

The answer I hear a lot is people should go to a business plan etc, which I think is a silly to have to go to unless you're actually running a business.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to elray

Problem is these services are being marketed as a replacement for wireline services to some, particularly those in rural areas. They also have crazy low caps even though they're the alternative to DSL marketed to the masses in the "sticks".

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4

250MB a Month

I run Jelly Bean and use about 250MB a month—and that probably because, more often than not, I can access Wi-Fi when working from home or at a client’s site.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

4 edits

only 870MB...

My monthly billing period ended on September 26th with my LTE Verizon phone(ReZound) with unlimited data. I hit 18GB of data usage this past monthly billing period.

I rarely use WiFI when out of the house since I typically have a 4G connection at least 95% of the time in the DC area, which is many times faster than WiFi networks.
At home my phone does connect to my 5Ghz WiFi to use my FiOS 150/65 connection, but I don't typically use my cell phone at home. It just sits there on the charger base. So data usage over wifi is minimal for my phone.

Since uploading all my Music to the Amazon cloud, I've finally been able to have a device with access to all my music. Since none of the cell phones or music players had enough storage to store all of my music. So that is why my data usage is so high. And when I spend a bunch of days in a month listening to the music all day at work, in addition to the normal listening while in the car, the data usage really climbs way over 10GB

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
reply to Crookshanks

Same thing here, except that I have setup my own VPN connection on my home router (I have Tomato on my Linksys router). All I have to do is connect back to my home via PPTP and I have a secure connection no matter where I am, doesn't matter the WiFi connection.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD
reply to coreyography

said by coreyography:

I know my co-worker is. He's on AT&T with a 2GB cap.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
reply to IowaCowboy

I use a vpn on public wifi and local DNS server on my Android. Can the iPhone still not do vpn?

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4

If I had a moible phone with a data plan...

... I would use way more! :P

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5

Average is meaningless

When the skew is so high. Median is a much more meaningful number. Karl you can't draw all your conclusions based on the mean average.

elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to jjeffeory

said by jjeffeory:

Problem is these services are being marketed as a replacement for wireline services to some, particularly those in rural areas. They also have crazy low caps even though they're the alternative to DSL marketed to the masses in the "sticks".

Welcome to the 21st century. Wireless deployment means you can have a high-speed connection where wired is cost-prohibitive.

The rural folk aren't, by and large, willing to pay what it would cost to provide higher speed wireline broadband service. And when LTE is deployed in those areas, wired services will begin to fold without monopoly powers.

Wireless caps are arbitrary, but I wouldn't call them "crazy low".

It is the expectations of this forum, that ultra-low-density rural subscribers should enjoy "universal service" that includes FTTH, at our collective expense, so they can use their Roku/Netflix and Vonage - that's crazy!

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5

They aren't caps, they are tiered pricing

Any meaningful analysis has to take this into account. It's not that you can't go over your "cap" on cell data, it's that you pay more.

bklass
Premium
join:2012-02-06
Canada

I don't consume anything on the internet

Could we please stop calling data use 'consumption'? Nothing is being produced, we're renting time based access to cables.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

No problems here..

Straight Talk 4G "unlimited everything & no conrtact" $45

No cappy, I'm happy.

Heh213

join:2012-06-16
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to elray

said by elray:

Welcome to the 21st century. Wireless deployment means you can have a high-speed connection where wired is cost-prohibitive.

The rural folk aren't, by and large, willing to pay what it would cost to provide higher speed wireline broadband service. And when LTE is deployed in those areas, wired services will begin to fold without monopoly powers.

Wireless caps are arbitrary, but I wouldn't call them "crazy low".

Being forced to because there is no other options for service is hardly "willing". Many areas don't have any "wired services" other than phone lines for dialup.

As far as the caps go I still call them crazy low, even if we did have 4G service out here w/ Home Fusion it's $60/month for 10GB, $6 a GB isn't cheap. Highest plan is 30GB with home Fusion for a small $120/month. And that's ignoring the expensive overages.

elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

1 edit

said by Heh213:

Being forced to because there is no other options for service is hardly "willing". Many areas don't have any "wired services" other than phone lines for dialup.

As far as the caps go I still call them crazy low, even if we did have 4G service out here w/ Home Fusion it's $60/month for 10GB, $6 a GB isn't cheap. Highest plan is 30GB with home Fusion for a small $120/month. And that's ignoring the expensive overages.

You didn't shop very well. You can get 50GB for $70/month.

But I do agree that the initial rollout of fixed-LTE is a bit stingy. That will change.

Rural folks do have options.

But it remains simple fact that a majority of non-subscribing rural households are simply disinterested, or unwilling to pay - even when offered urban rates.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to aaronwt

Re: only 870MB...

said by aaronwt:

At home my phone does connect to my 5Ghz WiFi to use my FiOS 150/65 connection, but I don't typically use my cell phone at home. It just sits there on the charger base. So data usage over wifi is minimal for my phone.

Lucky you. Most phones don't have the ability to connect to 5 GHz Wi-Fi.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to ARGONAUT

Re: No problems here..

said by ARGONAUT:

Straight Talk 4G "unlimited everything & no conrtact" $45

No cappy, I'm happy.

Yeah whose 4G network are thy using? I'm pretty sure it isn't Verizon and thus I'm pretty sure it's useless most everywhere.

Just checked in my area the only phone that uses "4g" actually uses HSPA+ which isn't really 4G and since at&t doesn't offer 4G or HSPA+ in my area it's a useless feature.

Not only that but they want $350 for the phone.

Straight Talk may discontinue providing Service to you, discontinue your account, discontinue providing connections to particular telephone numbers or types of Services used or called by you, terminate data connections and/or reduce data throughput speeds for customers whose usage, in the sole judgment of Straight Talk: (1) appear likely to generate abnormally high call volumes or Mobile Web Access and data usage and/or abnormally long average call lengths or Mobile Web Access and data usage as compared to the usage of other Straight Talk customers

Sounds REAL unlimited

spartan002
Premium
join:2008-12-22
Brampton, ON

no large deployment of Wi-Fi in canada

I average 1 to 8 gigs on data, as there is a large lack of free public WiFi in Canada. I am sure I would use less if I could use WiFi. Thankfully I got unlimited plan