dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-01 09:37:45: PC Magazine has again compiled their list of the nation's fastest ISPs, and Verizon FiOS again takes top honors. ..

28619103 (banned)
join:2009-03-01

1 recommendation

28619103 (banned)

Is FiOS an ISP?

Best way to game this is stop offering low cost/lower end products (Charter) or change your name and get your total offering ignored (even though you steer people there when it is not available - FiOS)

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Re: Is FiOS an ISP?

Exactly, Speedtest.net themselves show "Verizon" averaging only 5Mbps.

»www.netindex.com/downloa ··· -States/

According to REAL speedtest.net results of "average" users

1. Optimum Online
2. Charter
3. Comcast
4. Cox
5. Cable One
6. Mediacom
7. Roadrunner
8. Insight
9. Suddenstink
10. AT&T U-Verse
15. Verizon Internet
19. AT&T Internet Services
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

Wait, your list just broke out at&t U-Verse (10) from at&t Internet Services (19), but you're complaining about FiOS being broken out from Verizon Internet? Shouldn't Verizon FiOS be on
the list at #1 and then also at #15?

8-)

What about all the other fiber places, like the services offered in Lafayette, Cincinnati, Chattanooga, Utah, et cetera? Are they not large enough?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

It's not "my" list. I don't know what OOKLA considers a major ISP.

LLStarks
Premium Member
join:2003-12-03
Roslyn, NY

LLStarks to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
Do you have any idea how FiOS and other fiber optic services work?

There is no slowdown.

DSL is dragging down the score since those customers can barely hit 5 or 7Mbps unless they live right next to the CO.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Doesn't matter as these speed tests are off network. We aren't testing connection speed only within last mile. And DSL is more like barely hitting 600kbps-1200kbps unless they live next to an RT or the CO. Welcome to Verizon.

Meanwhile the OOKLA (Speedtest.net) test results are what they are and are mirrored by DSLReports own smaller sample. Verizon's average is just over 5Mb and while they have faster tiers, so does everyone else.

Low end tiers from EVERY provider bring down their own averages. I have 50Mb service but the samples from budget tiers bring down the average.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to LLStarks

to LLStarks
said by LLStarks:

Do you have any idea how FiOS and other fiber optic services work?

There is no slowdown.

Pon netowrks are shared bandwidth similar to cable, unlike dsl. Active networks behave more like dsl with a dedicated circuit, but they are few and far between.
dubenezic
join:2004-05-06
Elizabeth, NJ

dubenezic to skeechan

to skeechan
I believe "Verizon Internet" is considered to be DSL. At least that what VZ says.

On both counts VZ is an ISP.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to 28619103

Premium Member

to 28619103
The graphs are completely worthless in my opinion. Notice FiOS is listed under some as well as Verizon Internet Services. What's the difference? Clearly Verizon Internet Services includes FiOS, because their DSL is not near that fast. And in the NorthWest region, Frontier is rated at 4.9mbps upload? I have a very hard time believing their small amount of fiber connections can offset their DSL connection by that much. Certainly not real world results.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

If you've got 35/35, that can offset a LOT of low-speed results.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Not really, Verizon as a whole is averaging about 5Mb.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

As of last quarter, Verizon has 4 Million DSL connections, and 4.5 Million FiOS customers. Virtually ALL of FiOS internet is provisioned at a minimum of 15Mbps (real world 20Mbps) for the slowest subscribers. These days most are getting 35/35, or 50/35 !!

To get your proclaimed average of 5Mpbs, All DSL would have to be clocking at about DIALUP speeds.

Your netindex reference, and your opinion, is completely SKEWED .

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

It's not MY proclaimed average, it's the ACTUAL average from the OOKLA speedtest.net data, 3.8 billion tests so far, the largest sampling available.

»www.netindex.com/downloa ··· -States/

You can wish Verizon faster than a 5Mb average, but alas, it isn't.

DSLReport's own results based on much smaller samplings mirror those of OOKLA's titanic sampling.

»/archive

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Did you read the article? They have compiled data from people that use speedtest.net !! I just ran it, its OOKLA !! On my speedtest result, it lists the ISP separate as VERIZON FIOS. Those results are either 10 years old, or they ommitted Verizon FiOS as an ISP entirely.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

1 edit

skeechan

Premium Member

"FiOS" isn't an ISP. Verizon is the ISP and you don't get to cherry pick your markets and tiers. Those stats are the current ongoing results from speedtest.net, aka OOKLA.

You can ignore reality all you want...Verizon averages 5Mb whether you like it or not. It's easy to manipulate your rankings when you ignore your lower end services.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Ok, youre right. Now that I understand your logic, I now realize that there is no such thing as Lexus, only Toyota's.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

2 edits

skeechan

Premium Member

Exactly. When you are talking about who sells the most cars you don't distinguish between brands within a nameplate...its' Toyota vs GM, not Lexus, vs Scion, vs Toyota, vs Chevrolet, vs Cadillac, vs GMC. Nice you see you are finally getting it.

And when you want to find what the world's fastest car is, you don't plop a radar gun on the side of the road and figure that because you happen to see a few baggy pant dweebs speeding in a lowered Civic assume that Honda makes the fastest cars.

No, if you want to know what the fastest car is, you break out the biggest baddest individual models and see what is fastest and in that race, FiOS loses to Comcast and in the overall make, Verizon loses, well, to just about everyone.

Netindex is the results compilation for all of Speedtest.net. If you don't want to believe Speedtest.net, then the PC Mag results are irrelevant...because they used Speedtest.net, just with manipulated data.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Differentiating FIOS from DSL is manipulating data, interesting.

FiOS loses to Comcast? Hillarious.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

4 edits

skeechan

Premium Member

Yeah, ignoring an ISPs bottom tiers to boost the average is manipulating the data. VZ's true average is 5Mb.

As far as speed, Comcast is the fastest major residential ISP, period. Comcast offers a 305Mb service, VZ's top tier is 300Mb. VZ loses. Whether or not people buy a Veyron is irrelevant, it's still the fastest production car. Whether or not people choose to buy the $300 Comcast tier is irrelevant, Comcast is the fastest. It's also irrelevant that the 305Mb tier Comcast is only available in certain areas of their footprint, just as FiOS is only available in certain areas of Verizon's footprint.

You might not like it, but that is reality.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

EL CHEAPOS

Uverse did not even make the top 15 !? Wow. Thank goodness AT&T went the cheap FTTN route eh?. Verizon FiOS passes half as many homes and has more fiber subscribers than Uverse. Dummies.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

Re: EL CHEAPOS

said by ITALIAN926:

Uverse did not even make the top 15 !? Wow. Thank goodness AT&T went the cheap FTTN route eh?.

Yeah, good job, SBC, eh? Way to take what once was the premier TelCom in the entire world and turn it into a backwater level company.
said by ITALIAN926:

Verizon FiOS passes half as many homes and has more fiber subscribers than Uverse. Dummies.

Their investors like them. That's all they care about, these days.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

I think you're correct. God, I just wish we could get past the $$$$$ issues and do things that are right for humanity and that better people as a whole. We need to be thinking about the long term future of our species too.
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

Terabit to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
I feel sorry for the people in Silicon Valley that are stuck on uVerse.

If any place in this country should have FIOS, it's the San Jose area.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

They will probably eventually have Sonic FTTH...and they do have Comcast D3.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Terabit

MVM

to Terabit
said by Terabit:

I feel sorry for the people in Silicon Valley that are stuck on uVerse.

If any place in this country should have FIOS, it's the San Jose area.

The only possible places in the south S.F. Bay Area where FiOS could be deployed are Monte Sereno and Los Gatos. They are the only towns within spitting distance of San José covered by Verizon. Everything else telco hereabouts is AT&T; which doesn't offer FiOS anywhere in the world.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

Don't like these stats.

They say all this about the fastest isp's in these areas but if it's user tests then isn't it only what they subscribe to? Example being, all of Titusville, Fl has brighthouse 40/5 available but most people subscribe to 10/1 in the bundle so these stats really don't mean anything.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

1 edit

skeechan

Premium Member

Re: Don't like these stats.

Exactly, it isn't who is the fast ISP, it is what people are buying and who follow the PC Mag link.

Speedtest.net's ACTUAL results are quite different.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx to bobjohnson

to bobjohnson
Well then, apparently Brighthouse's fast tier is too expensive for most folks, compared to the other tiers they offer.

Charter, on the other hand, offers a reasonably-priced 30/4 tier, so people buy it because it's the cheapest advertised tier and they don't want slow old DSL.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

said by iansltx:

Well then, apparently Brighthouse's fast tier is too expensive for most folks, compared to the other tiers they offer.

Charter, on the other hand, offers a reasonably-priced 30/4 tier, so people buy it because it's the cheapest advertised tier and they don't want slow old DSL.

This has nothing to do with basing stats for the fastest isp on what people want to pay for. If people only want to pay for 10/1 and their capable of providing 100/100 in their entire footprint the speed in this stat comparison would be 10/1 and that doesn't make sense.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

I can get 100/100 here. For a few thousand per month. That doesn't make sense either.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

So that wasn't a good example. But I can and do get 40/5 for $79 a month so that still doesn't mean that this set of statistics shouldn't be called "The most speed people are willing their isp's for." Not the fastest isp's.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

Unfortunately, Ookla doesn't get terribly specific when it comes to sectioning out the highest-speed users on a given ISP, in a given area. Probably because the sample size would be very small at that point, judging from some speed test data dumps I've seen from them (I bought one awhile back...pretty expensive, but insightful).

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

People buy the 30/4 plan because it's the ONLY slow plan they offer, whether you want to pay that much of not!!

Charter has 2 plans. 30/4 and 100/5.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

FIOS

My slow connection is 150/65 : /

•••••

MonkeyLick78
join:2002-01-27
Hixson, TN

MonkeyLick78

These speed results are largely useless considering people are only gonna get what they pay for. Power/speed boost also inflates the results considerably.

••••••••

wdoa
join:2001-10-16
Spencer, MA

wdoa

Charter?, maybe at 4:30AM

With Charter they must have done the tests at 4:30AM otherwise they would have found the latency and speed to be horrible from the oversold nodes.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

Optimum Online

Boy how times have changed. I remember when Optimum Online's 10/1 speeds were the highest in the industry. Granted you can pay more for more speed but the base 20/2 tier is no longer leading the pack. On the plus side, we do not have any usage caps (yet?).

•••••

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

This is a joke

This is like ranking the world's fastest car brand based on putting a radar gun on the side of the road.

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk

Premium Member

Re: This is a joke

Northwest is struggling, yikes
Expand your moderator at work
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Hawaii left out AGAIN

They left out Hawaii and Alaska AGAIN. So, how can they claim they are ranking the fastest ISPs? They are NOT doing that. It is all shibai and certainly not relevant to me yet I am a USA citizen living in a state of the USA. Evidently, Hawaii and Alaska should never have been granted statehood since we are seldom treated as if we are states.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

who's got the cheapest 50mbit tier?

I think the award goes to Cablevision / Optimum Online @ $44.90 for the first year.. I can't find anyone cheaper at the 50mbit tier.

Just wait until 2013 rolls around, Google will wipe ALL the isps off the map with their 1 gigabit speedtests... an utter embarassment to the nation's ISPs.. and for $70 monthly too..

Then I can expect 100mbits around the same price... next year.. (maybe $65 off promotion) ?

•••