spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-01 08:51:49: With the help of former FCC boss Kevin Martin, LightSquared has been engaged in a last-ditch lobbying attempt to try and save their LTE network plans. ..

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Where's EPB?

Seems like I can't tune into a local TV or Radio station with out hearing EPB brag about being the fastest in the nation. I didn't see Chattanooga, Tennessee, or EPB listed in the report. Then again they also claim to be superior to Comcast because their installers wear Blue Booties.

Note this is a comment directed at EPB's (Comcast is just as guilty) bullshit marketing. Nothing annoys me more than advertising campaigns that are based on bullshit.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 recommendation

Yet Another Taxpayer Shaft

Again LightSquared is looking for a way to circumvent the whole spectrum auction process and convert their almost worthless spectrum in valuable terrestrial spectrum. Maybe they should consider bidding on the 700MHz D-Block.

I am not against a competitive LTE provider but from the get go the whole LightSquared business model has been about converting low-cost/no-cost satellite spectrum into valuable terrestrial spectrum. Failing that they now want to be handed terrestrial spectrum for free. IMHO, they can bid on it just like AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile did. Cough up a few bucks and do it right.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

Give it up, already!

These idiots just need to realize that their plan isn't going to work. I'm all for having competition, but they decided to try to start this venture on the cheap, and when that fell apart, now they want to get bailed out. Well guys, you screwed up, but it's not too late to go out and find a useful slice of spectrum to buy. Oh, you have no money left because you squandered it all on your schemes and gyrations? Oh well...

My mom had many pieces of advice, and one of them was that, when you try to do something on the cheap, you usually end up paying more in the long run. I guess these guys never received that advice or didn't bother to listen.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

What would they share with NOAA?

is this frequency used by weather radios?

I can imagine Lightsquared would face a lawsuit if weather radios did not sound so people did not get to their shelters for a tornado.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to ISurfTooMuch

Re: Give it up, already!

They seem to forget that not all business ventures can be a success.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to battleop

Re: Where's EPB?

I seen ads for them on FB and heard them on Pandora a few days ago. Little do they realize they are NOT the fastest and those speeds, have always been around. They forget to realize that businesses have been ordering them for YEARS.

ISurfTooMuch

Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to Kearnstd

That, and I think they feel that they're connected enough that someone will go to bat for them and pull the right strings. This whole scenario is very similar to that of Northpoint, which was run by some folks with DC connections who wanted to build a terrestrial TV/data network that would have interfered with DBS service. Even after independent testing confirmed that the interference was real and that there was no way to mitigate it, they still kept flailing around and spending political capital trying to get the FCC to give them permission to build it in spite of the test results.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
reply to Kearnstd

Re: What would they share with NOAA?

Weather radios are down in the 160 Mhz whereas they are looking at 1600 Mhz. About an order of magnitude different.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to ISurfTooMuch

NorthPoint? I thought NorthPoint was a CLEC ISP that went bankrupt, later split up and then shut down by the ILECs?

ISurfTooMuch

Tuscaloosa, AL
I think that was another company, as the name is familiar in my distant memory. But this was a different company. What they wanted to do was to build transmission sites that would operate on the same frequencies used by DBS. They proposed to make this work by placing the sites north of the towns they wanted to serve, so, since dishes generally point south or southwest, they'd be pointed away from the transmitters in most cases, and I suppose the transmitters were going to be directional, only transmitting toward the south to protect dish owners located north of them. As soon as this news came out, many people worried that this scheme would interfere with DBS, which prompted Northpoint to announce some sort of dish retrofit kit that was supposed to prevent it. Still, people were worried that this solution wouldn't work, so the FCC arranged for a third party organization to do testing to determine if there would be interference. The testing found that, although interference could be reduced, it couldn't be eliminated, and it would effectively wipe out satellite reception for some people. Northpoint's reaction was that the testing was biased, and there were rumors that they were trying to call in favors to get the FCC to disregard the test results and let them proceed anyway. Apparently, that strategy didn't work, and the company faded away.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
Ahhh... I didn't realize there was another NorthPoint.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MVDDS_dispute (Northpoint Technology)
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NorthPoint···ications (my first association as well)

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
reply to Kearnstd

Re: What would they share with NOAA?

said by Kearnstd:

is this frequency used by weather radios?

I can imagine Lightsquared would face a lawsuit if weather radios did not sound so people did not get to their shelters for a tornado.

No.

I believe they're wanting to share Polar sat Downlink frequencies, but this may interfere with weather radios anyway because the watches / warnings are disseminated via sat to the remote transmitters.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!