dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-01 10:51:23: Dan Jones over at Light Reading asked Seattle-based mobile network metrics company RootMetrics to help him compile a list of the top five cities nationally for LTE based on current deployments by each carrier. ..

silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Smaller Carriers

I would like to see some statistics for smaller carriers. Such as the top 5 cities for US Cellular LTE.

recoil
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Exton, PA

recoil

Premium Member

47.88/17.01mbps 57ms Exton, PA 19341 ATT using Moto Atrix HD

»imgur.com/tf0kA

Actually, I might have been in West Chester, PA 19380. I am seeing similar speeds in certain spots of both towns.

Although, I do average much lower than that, because I am indoors a lot, so anywhere from 4-18, sometimes spurts to 30-32 depending on signal. 4-5 bars is easily over 20-25mbps every time, 1-2 bars is around 4mbps, 3 bars falls somewhere in between.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco

Re: Smaller Carriers

They have LTE in 5 cities? (/sarcasm) ... I'm wondering if they (or other smaller carriers) will have any of the same levels of interoperability / roaming with "4G" as with "3G" service.

I could go get a Samsung S3 right now, but since I barely get 3G where I am, I am not holding my breath for 4G in the area anytime soon.

KC has always had tons of connectivity - I'm glad to see them actually starting to use it for things like fast 4G and fiber.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

Less dense cities likely to have higher avg performance

The cities with top performance are not very dense compared to the largest cities so there are less users per site. Until carriers start to focus on capacity management rather than just coverage, such as infill with more LTE sites within a zone, mid-dense cities will probably avg better than larger denser cities.

But even so, KC FTW.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

Verizon LTE in KC is great.

I just got 14.2 down, 2.3 up sitting at my desk in the middle of an office building.
xenophon

xenophon

Can get up to 24Mbps on Sprint near window in downtown office building, about 10-12Mbps at my desk. Not that smartphones need that much. The low latency has more impact to smartphone apps after a few Mbps.

Sprint LTE...
»dl.dropbox.com/u/3812896 ··· ests.png
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to xenophon

to xenophon

Re: Less dense cities likely to have higher avg performance

said by xenophon:

The cities with top performance are not very dense compared to the largest cities so there are less users per site.

Yep my area doesn't "officially" have 4G from Verizon but it's been here for 2 weeks and I can easily get over 30 Mbps on speed tests. My best download was 37 Mbps and I've gotten as high as 14.7 on upload.
PastTense
join:2011-07-06
united state

PastTense

Sprint the Reason?

Sprint is headquartered in the Kansas City area (Overland Park), so probably decided high quality service was essential in its headquarters city. To keep up with Sprint competitively the other carriers probably decided to upgrade.
xenophon

1 edit

xenophon

That may explain KC avg on Sprint but not necessarily why KC is also 1/2 on VZW/ATT. Could be there is better logistics for backhaul availability across KC.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

AT&T LTE

Just did a speed test, 30 mbps down, 20 mbps up on my iphone 5.
xenophon

xenophon

Am curious, what's your latency/ping time?

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

60-70 ms.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to xenophon

Premium Member

to xenophon

Re: Verizon LTE in KC is great.

I agree, unless I'm in a hurry to download a new app, 3G is typically fast enough. Well I guess if I try to use the NFL Sunday Ticket app the LTE speeds are nice.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to xenophon

to xenophon

Re: Less dense cities likely to have higher avg performance

Right as you've alluded to, it's nothing to do with largeness, it's density that will affect speeds. It's amazing how multiplex connections are influenced by how many users there are in a small space...

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to PastTense

Premium Member

to PastTense

Re: Sprint the Reason?

said by PastTense:

Sprint is headquartered in the Kansas City area (Overland Park), so probably decided high quality service was essential in its headquarters city. To keep up with Sprint competitively the other carriers probably decided to upgrade.

After living in KC for years with Sprint service, I can tell you that historically they've not treated KC any better than any other city
StubbyinKCMO
join:2008-11-15
Kansas City, MO

StubbyinKCMO

WiFi or actual 4G speed?

Live here in Kansas City and can only manage 6-9Mbps over Tmo.

But if I hook to the wireless in our apartment that my roomie uses for his laptop since I hate wireless anything, I get up to 12.

So I guess my question is, is everyone with speeds over 10Mb using Wifi or are they actually ON 4G using their phone as it was intended?

And I cannot wait for Google to get their butts NORTH of the river in EITHER state. Stupid wait till January before the raffle comes up here...

recoil000
@mycingular.net

recoil000

Anon

IM pulling 50 consistently late at night on ATT in 19341. Just went live with LTE less than two weeks ago here. Three times faster than my home connection but metered
Bob61571
join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

Bob61571 to silbaco

to silbaco

Re: Smaller Carriers

The list would include places like:

Milwaukee and Madison WI, Des Moines and the Quad Cities IA, and Greeneville, NC (I think that those are the biggest LTE mkts for US Cellular.)

Those were the first LTE mkts for them. I know that they are rolling out to many more markets this year, but those above are the longest on USCC LTE.