spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-02 17:13:45: Time Warner Cable is expanding plans to start charging users a $3.95 modem rental fee. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Don't like the fee?

Buy your own modem. Problem solved.

Justin027

@chase.com

Yup. No reason to bitch and complain

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Nightfall

said by Nightfall:

Read it again:

Frontier Communications recently started charging everyone a $7 "modem support and warranty fee" whether you own your modem or not.

I myself still own my Optimum Online modem. If Optimum suddenly inserts a fee in my bill, they are getting a copy of the receipt for the modem.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

rulds2008

@telnor.net
reply to Nightfall

Your 100 percent right, its not your modem its the companies so they are chargin you to use there stuff, buy your own your all good

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

what about EMTA's

Does TWC allow you to purchase your own EMTA's as well???

Comcast does, but my understanding is NOT in all of their service areas, & ONLY from participating Best Buy's...just did this very thing last month.

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
·Dish Network

This is bs. I refuse to pay $4 rental fee for this $25 cisco modem so I already brought Moto SB5101U today on ebay for like $22 bucks. You not getting any more money from me, not even one cent from me
--
Curious about Sprint improved 3G and growing 4G LTE network? Then check it out at www.s4gru.com

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to dishrich

Re: what about EMTA's

Yes. The fee in my area was $2.50 a month last month, so this is a 60% increase. Not trivial. At this price however it makes sense to buy your own. I just got rid of an 8 year old 5120 last week, and I paid $50 for it initially.

At $2.50 a month it has a 2 year break even, but $4, almost 1 year and you are better off w/ your own.

Frontier $7 is the reverse Morris trust tax thanks to Verizon.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to dragonman300

Re: ...

just be warned if it does not activate its because its off ebay. sometimes the ones on ebay are sold off rental units flagged as stolen in a carrier's system.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

1 recommendation

reply to n2jtx

Re: Don't like the fee?

said by n2jtx:

said by Nightfall:

Read it again:

Frontier Communications recently started charging everyone a $7 "modem support and warranty fee" whether you own your modem or not.

I myself still own my Optimum Online modem. If Optimum suddenly inserts a fee in my bill, they are getting a copy of the receipt for the modem.

The article was on Time Warner Cable, not Frontier. Otherwise I agree with you. Frontier is ripping people off. Time Warner's letter is simply that they are starting to charge for leased modems. If you want to buy your own, then there is a list of approved modems to use. This is all dictated in the letter.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Nightfall

At $139 it isn't really problem solved. Of course I could get a used one cheaper off Amazon or Ebay but that is a pig in a poke. It may be able to be activated or it may not.
Either way, it is an increase in price. That is the problem.

Edit.
In addition, I checked the approved list and don't see any modems on there that support telephone service.

Approved modems

uscatu

@lausd.net

re

lets not mention they raised prices in so cal by 8 dollars

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06

1 recommendation

reply to Nightfall

It's still a price increase+reduction in service.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
reply to Pathfinder

You guys have 8x4 channel bonding online in NYC though. That couple bucks a month is actually going toward upgrades.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Nightfall

Updated: Sorry, my bad. I went for the 6141 modem... the 6121 is not on the update list. It was $20 more and hard to find... out the door price is at least $100 for the 6141.

I have put up more information about this fee and quick reviews of the VERY limited choices TWC is giving customers as far as purchased cable modems go on Stop the Cap!:

»stopthecap.com/2012/10/02/time-w···tal-fee/

In short, buy a DOCSIS 3 modem no matter what, and buy sooner rather than later. Amazon has some good prices, but they won't last as the surge of new buyers arrive. I went for the Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem ($80) for these reasons:

1) Value for money: You can recoup this investment in about two years with TWC's new pricing scheme and have a D3 modem that will last at least five years before technology makes this obsolete.

2) Combo cable modem/routers are usually a bad idea and don't perform as well as standalone routers running third party firmware. I am keeping my Linksys N router running DDWRT thank you. The current D3 modem (Ubee) was a real pain with Wi-Fi so I have mine in bridge mode.

3) The D2 modems are not much less than the SB6121. The one wireless combo D2 modem is G only, and has gotten very mixed reviews.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
reply to iansltx

said by iansltx:

You guys have 8x4 channel bonding online in NYC though. That couple bucks a month is actually going toward upgrades.

This could be a problem. The D3 modems on the approved list seem to support up to 4x4 bonded channels. Can a firmware upgrade address this?

DrDrewsGhost

@twcable.com

said by Dampier:

The D3 modems on the approved list seem to support up to 4x4 bonded channels. Can a firmware upgrade address this?

No, it's a hardware chip limitation. Updating firmware won't change that.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
reply to Dampier

Nope.

Upton

@rr.com

"Approved" Modems

Why do they only approve 3 DOCSIS 2.0 modems (ALL Motorola) when they have nearly 40 models from different manufacturers that they use for lease? The 2 Motorola modems they approve that I can use (the third being wireless, which I don't use) have some troubling reviews on Amazon. It looks like TWC is giving me little choice but to swallow their increase and use their modem. Also, how long until they start charging for the modem used for digital phone? I bet it won't be far behind.

StevieD3

@rr.com

Free modem holdouts reverse course, add fees

From CED Magazine

Free modem holdouts reverse course, add fees

Tue, 10/02/2012 - 1:45pm Brian Santo

Time Warner Cable (TWC) and Bright House Networks have both recently announced that they will begin charging their customers rental fees for cable modems.

Many other large MSOs, notably Comcast, have long charged their customers such a fee.

TWC announced it will begin charging all of its customers a monthly fee of $3.95 for rentals and maintenance. The company has levied the fee on new customers who have signed up since January, according to Investors Business Daily.

TWC customers can avoid the fee by purchasing and installing their own modems.

It is too early to tell how many customers will do so, so estimates vary on how much revenue the fee might generate. One estimate tags it as high as $500 million annually.

Bright House notified its customers two weeks ago that it will begin to levy a $2 monthly fee, starting this month. The move was reported by the Tampa Bay Times. The fee will not be assessed on those who purchase and install their own modems.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

By comparison..

No rental fee on FIOS equipment..
So, yep.. a $3.95 price hike... and you'll probably get hit with taxes ontop of it too.. meanwhile, they've done nothing but grab more and more money from the consumer..

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
reply to Nightfall

'cept there's a couple of problems with that, at least in my region (dunno whether it would properly be called "Northeast," "Western New York," or "Buffalo area"). One, the service is being sold without a modem line item, and hobgoblin See Profile (a TW employee) tells us in the TW forum those of us who have bought cable modems are grandfathered in for a "customer owned modem" billing credit. Two, if you want Wideband (and perhaps other, higher-tiered services), customer owned modems, although perhaps technically capable, are (according to policy) not allowed. Three, I seem to remember hobgoblin saying (well, writing anyway) policy has changed in that customer-supplied modems are being phased out (meaning I don't have to change mine out as I'm grandfathered in, unless I no longer use the ones I have).

Either way, I oppose the notion. I don't want to pay for a modem five times over, and think it's reasonable to receive some minimal level of tech support bundled with the access fees. I don't think I ever had to call the cableco (whether Adelphia or TW) for my SB5100, and only had to call a few times within the last year or so for my SB6120. Otherwise, it has been many, many months of service basically without a hitch requiring support (meaning no additional cost to TW).
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

1 edit

Sonic

Sonic is only charging new Fusion customers the mandatory-modem-rental-fee.

But combined with the new mandatory landline-dialtone service, its an effective $17 price increase - still a good value if you want home phone service and you're yielding 20mbps, but barely competitive with cable options if you're only seeking broadband.

[edit: Apparently Dane has extended the "me too" policy to new DSL accounts as well.]

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY
reply to Dampier

said by Dampier:

said by iansltx:

This could be a problem. The D3 modems on the approved list seem to support up to 4x4 bonded channels. Can a firmware upgrade address this?

From what I understand, the D3 Motorolla models listed in the screenshot support 8x4 channel bonding.
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Pathfinder

said by Pathfinder:

At $139 it isn't really problem solved.

I paid more than that for my first 28.8k modem, back in the day when they cost real money.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
reply to uscatu

Re: re

8 bucks for a modem rental fee? Ouch.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to elray

Re: Sonic

said by elray:

Sonic is only charging new Fusion customers the mandatory-modem-rental-fee.

But combined with the new mandatory landline-dialtone service, its an effective $17 price increase - still a good value if you want home phone service and you're yielding 20mbps, but barely competitive with cable options if you're only seeking broadband.

TWC was charging the fee for new subscribers too, but look at what happened after that. :P

ericn32
meh
Premium
join:2009-09-23
Costa Mesa, CA
reply to Pathfinder

Voice modems become free once you stop using them for Internet service.

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by ericn32:

Voice modems become free once you stop using them for Internet service.

I just saw that and now it makes even less sense.

ericn32
meh
Premium
join:2009-09-23
Costa Mesa, CA

It's s--- stupid, and I don't know how upgrading modems to IPv6 can cost that much to begin with.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Nightfall

Wont they still charge a fee??