dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-03 08:42:17: As leaks had suggested yesterday, Deutsche Telekom's board this morning approved a deal that would combine T-Mobile and MetroPCS. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska to northalabama

Premium Member

to northalabama

Re: why all the tmo/mpcs hate?

There has always been some hate in regards to metropcs and t-mobile. It's kinda referred as the poor persons phone company.

It's almost like many verizon & at&t users are saying "I pay double for my phone service, and get less. I'm better than you".
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

tanzam75 to axus

to axus

Re: "New" company

said by axus:

Heh, this is a good point, AT&T contributes ~$3 billion, MetroPCS takes ~$15 billion.

How do you get $15 billion? Most of the debt in the combined company will be coming from T-Mobile, not from MetroPCS.

MetroPCS market cap = $4.5 billion
MetroPCS long-term debt = $4.7 billion
MetroPCS cash = $1.9 billion

$4.5 + 4.7 - 1.9 = $7.3 billion that T-Mobile is out-of-pocket. (Of which they're only paying $1.5 billion in cash, and the rest in stock.)
tanzam75

tanzam75 to PastTense

to PastTense

Re: What happens now for us T-Mobile subscribers?

The "challenger strategy" appears to focus on growth in prepaid services. Bullet points 4 and 6 both talk about non-contract services.

As of June 30, 2012, T-Mobile had 21.3 million postpaid customers, 5.3 million prepaid customers, and 3.8 million MVNO customers. (2.8 million M2M, but those aren't people, so I won't count them.)

MetroPCS had 9.3 million "subscribers" -- presumably all prepaid.

--

If you do the math, the combined company will have 21.3 million postpaid customers, vs. 18.4 prepaid and MVNO.

This is quite a change! T-Mobile has gone from a 2:1 postpaid/prepaid split, to practically 1:1.

mech1164
I'll Be Back
join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

mech1164 to djdanska

to djdanska

said by djdanska:

There has always been some hate in regards to metropcs and t-mobile. It's kinda referred as the poor persons phone company.

It's almost like many verizon & at&t users are saying "I pay double for my phone service, and get less. I'm better than you".

Sadly this is the insanity we are dealing with. Why in this economy would you pay more for the privilege of less? I get the same service if not better than ATT on Tmo and I'm saving big bucks doing it? People have been lulled into the false idea that you have to pay more over time to get a great phone. Do the math, it's cheaper overtime to get the phone outright and go with a carrier with better rates. Call me cheap if you like, i'll be on vacation while you're paying off your cell bill.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Great

This is going to be a mess. Two terrible networks together equals ???

viperpa33s
Why Me?
Premium Member
join:2002-12-20
Bradenton, FL

viperpa33s to tanzam75

Premium Member

to tanzam75

Re: One way to destroy a good thing

said by tanzam75:

said by viperpa33s:

This is going to suck. Just looked at T-Mobile site and to get something comparable to MetroPCS is going to cost an extra $50 to $70 a month or more.

???

You're comparing MetroPCS prepaid to T-Mobile postpaid.

You should compare MetroPCS prepaid to T-Mobile prepaid.

Specifically, T-Mobile Monthly4G Unlimited Talk, Text, and Web.

Same $50 you're paying now. No contract. Taxes included. Call any phone.

Go to each others site and compare, the same $50 plan
viperpa33s

viperpa33s to northalabama

Premium Member

to northalabama

said by northalabama:

i seem to be one of the few happy about this news. a tmo customer for 10 years, they have the best voice quality in my local mkt, and great data, too.

our att and verizon networks are built on old, broken down infrastructure from companies past, and it isn't getting better with age (or patches).

voice calls on verizon here sound like callers have socks in their mouths (old gte network). att has snail paced data, less coverage than verizon, and not that much more coverage than tmo. att has done little, if anything, to improve their service, only making excuses. were not big enough at 500,000 metro for verizon or att to care.

tmo's network is much higher quality, and has only gotten better over time. sure, i'm not in ny, la, or dallas, but i expect see great things for our neighborhood and others that have been forgotten by the big carriers. go, tmo!

What your saying is to stick with what your happy with? I couldn't agree with you more and basically that's all I am saying. I had AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. They all have there problems but I have dealt with less from Metro.

Everyone is looking to save a buck these days. Being with Metro for 5 years, I saved a lot of money. So far what I have seen, T-Mobile is not offering anything better than what Metro provides. I do have to say that T-Mobile offers better phones than MetroPCS.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless to tanzam75

to tanzam75

said by tanzam75:

. Deutsche Telekom used to own 100% of T-Mobile USA. They're dropping down to 74% of the combined company. The difference of 26% consists of the shares that they're turning over to the shareholders of MetroPCS.

Exactally.. the best way to look at this is "cup half full" approach. Don't be dissuaded by TMO loosing a 26% stake in there company, look at it as TMO now owns 74% of Metro PCS.
buddahbless

buddahbless to Sammer

to Sammer

Re: Does anyone else smell another Sprint-Nextel catastrophe?

said by Sammer:

said by FFH5:

The plan to combine networks is very drawn out. Sounds like a failure to me.
»www.theverge.com/2012/10 ··· ion-2015

This deal won't close until at least the middle of next year and the plan is shut down the MetroPCS CDMA network by 2015. How is that very drawn out?

Agreed this will work out great if done right, this deal is nothing like the sprint/nextel deal, there main problem was trying to integrate 2 different technologies keep both up and running was a nightmare and that was a mess. TMO and Metro have already figured out one network for all customers is the way to go,plain simple and efficient and the lesser of the 2 (metropcs) will shut its network down and migrate everyone over to TMO network, all with letting customers keep there current rate plans and packages ( this could be looked at similarly for Metro pcs as to when ATT turned to into cingular and went from TDMA to GSM).

This may also add a larger coverage footprint with better coverage as areas where Metro currently has towers and TMO does not those will be converted into TMO towers for gsm/hspa/lte use. not to mention in areas where tmo coverage is stretched short if a comparable Metro tower is with in range it will be integrated into the new network Giving customers much better coverage (indoor mostly)which is what TMO customers have complained of for years (due to the high frequency TMO uses), only towers that are directly within a short distance of each other will be shut down.

Now all you need is for TMO-Metro to take advantage of that new coverage area, sure up there network as one, Allow customers to have a broad choice of phones chose LTE for those who want the super high speed data and HSPA for those who don't mind there data a little slower (but still faster than DSL) to see what can be achieved. The combined company (T Mobile Metro?) to run one of those Metro deals but as A special TMO offer of 4 smartphones with unlimited talk, txt, and data ( LTE and/or HSPA) and for the rock bottom price of $100 flat per mth. I only ask one question which im sure would be on the mouths of millions..... WHERE CAN I SIGN UP?

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

There isn't much technical compatibility, either

MetroPCS's bands and T-Mobile's don't jive well so it looks like they will try and migrate customers to T-Mobile's spectrum and then do what with MetroPCS's.... sell it probably.

I just hope T-Mobile continues upgrading and doesn't fold up.
KrK

KrK to viperpa33s

Premium Member

to viperpa33s

You realize that T-Mobile has a prepaid plan for $50 unlimited Talk, Text and Web, right?

Sounds like same price point for same thing you have.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to toby

to toby

Re: Deutche Telekom finally gets to dump T-Mobile

What's tiny? T-Mobile's coverage? Not really...it's just clustered around big cities. MetroPCS, sure, it's tiny...also clustered around big cities. Just a smaller number of big cities.

But T-Mobile's overall coverage isn't tiny, unless you're removing all population centers from the calculation.
iansltx

iansltx to viperpa33s

to viperpa33s

I see your MetroPCS and raise you a SIMple Mobile: »simplemobile.com

$50 per month for unlimited everything. Very similar to MetroPCS in the way you get billed. You pay for your phone up front, just like you do with MetroPCS.

I haven't used MetroPCS because I have never lived in their service area. I have used CricKet, which is very similar. I have used Pocket Communications before it was folded into CricKet. Again, very similar...except with Pocket you could get unlimited calling, texting and picture messaging for $25 per month once upon a time. Now that, I contend to you, is a good deal.

So, with that knowledge in mind, take a look at Straight Talk or SIMple Mobile. Both use T-Mobile's network (Straight Talk gives the option of Sprint, AT&T or Verizon as well). Both offer unlimited voice and texting, and unlimited (within reason) data. Both are in the $50 per month range. MetroPCS no longer has a monopoly on cheap unlimited service, and hasn't for a few years now.
dplantz
join:2000-08-02
Bradenton, FL

dplantz to KrK

to KrK

Re: There isn't much technical compatibility, either

Both T-Mobile and Metro Pcs have 1700/2100mhz spectrum and 1900mhz spectrum. The big job is to convert Metro PCS from CDMA to HSPA+/LTE. Verizon did this with Unicell fairly quickly after they bought out Unicell

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska to viperpa33s

Premium Member

to viperpa33s

said by viperpa33s:

said by northalabama:

i seem to be one of the few happy about this news. a tmo customer for 10 years, they have the best voice quality in my local mkt, and great data, too.

our att and verizon networks are built on old, broken down infrastructure from companies past, and it isn't getting better with age (or patches).

voice calls on verizon here sound like callers have socks in their mouths (old gte network). att has snail paced data, less coverage than verizon, and not that much more coverage than tmo. att has done little, if anything, to improve their service, only making excuses. were not big enough at 500,000 metro for verizon or att to care.

tmo's network is much higher quality, and has only gotten better over time. sure, i'm not in ny, la, or dallas, but i expect see great things for our neighborhood and others that have been forgotten by the big carriers. go, tmo!

What your saying is to stick with what your happy with? I couldn't agree with you more and basically that's all I am saying. I had AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. They all have there problems but I have dealt with less from Metro.

Everyone is looking to save a buck these days. Being with Metro for 5 years, I saved a lot of money. So far what I have seen, T-Mobile is not offering anything better than what Metro provides. I do have to say that T-Mobile offers better phones than MetroPCS.

A much faster and larger high speed data network. It may not be LTE but i can download 15-20Mb/s down if not more. But, not everybody needs that.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless to BiggA

to BiggA

Re: Great

said by BiggA:

This is going to be a mess. Two terrible networks together equals ???

Where will the mess be? When the dust settles there will be only 1 network, Period.. As this will be simpler than expected compared to the sprint/nextel fiasco. With that sour deal they tried to keep and maintain both networks, that was a fail. The details have been given with TMO-Metro that there looking to shut down Metros cdma network and moving people to TMO's GSM/HSPA/LTE Network.

Seeing as how most of the areas that Metro is servicing TMO currently has coverage its a simple phone swap out at the easy point. The only real issue is re-farming Metros spectrum to be used with TMO service and deciding what Metro towers to keep that overlie or closely overlie a TMO tower.
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

tanzam75 to viperpa33s

to viperpa33s

said by viperpa33s:

Go to each others site and compare, the same $50 plan

And?

*Four* different people have now replied to you, pointing out that T-Mobile's $50 Monthly4G prepaid unlimited plan sure looks equivalent to MetroPCS's $50 prepaid unlimited plan.

You listed six benefits to MetroPCS -- all six of which are also present with the T-Mobile Monthly4G plan. You listed six drawbacks to T-Mobile -- none of which are present in the T-Mobile Monthly4G plan.

It may not be identical in all details, but the main points are essentially equivalent. The main difference that I can see is in how roaming is handled. But then, T-Mobile also has broader nationwide coverage, so you can stay on the T-Mobile network in more situations.

Replying "Go to each others site and compare" doesn't help advance the discussion. We have already done that. Now it's up to you to show us why we're blind. What, exactly, are you getting with MetroPCS that you wouldn't get with T-Mobile prepaid?

Two other people have already posted the link to T-Mobile's Monthly4G plans. You didn't reply to them, so I will post it again. Please go to the URL and compare the $50 T-Mobile Monthly4G plan with MetroPCS, point-for-point, and tell us what we're all missing:

»prepaid-phones.t-mobile. ··· 4g-plans
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to buddahbless

Premium Member

to buddahbless

Re: Great

Even then, it's going to take a couple of years, and neither carrier has good coverage, so at the end, they will still have terrible coverage.

printscreen
join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR

printscreen to LoneGreyWolf

to LoneGreyWolf

I hope nothing changes down here (Puerto Rico) since MetroPCS has no presence here. I went with T-Mobile after the Death Star assimilated Centennial Wireless (of which I was a customer for 9 years) and after it was announced that T-Mobile would not be asimilated as well and hope I will not need to change carrier due to this merger.
NiteSn0w
join:2010-12-24

NiteSn0w to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: Does anyone else smell another Sprint-Nextel catastrophe?

That could make Sprint a ton of money and kill data speeds (they're already horrible I doubt any more load is a good idea) for a lot of Sprint customers. I could see it working out if Sprint was given some PCS Spectrum in the markets where Metro has it. Sprint would have to rush to deploy some sort of AAV or just go forth and push fiber and network vision to all of the towers in the markets where the bulk of their customers are i.e. native coverage.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

They already have Network Vision online in DFW, NYC and LA...or parts of it anyway.
NiteSn0w
join:2010-12-24

NiteSn0w to j1349705

to j1349705
Easy to do when Alltel was mostly ran on CLR spectrum (800MHz) They didn't have to switch all of the towers to GSM/UMTS in a short amount of time they just had to change base stations at enough sites to create coverage. 800MHz goes far so this is fairly easy.

I don't know much about Verizon's conversions but I have heard that Claro in PR has been quite horrible since the merger.
NiteSn0w

NiteSn0w to iansltx

to iansltx
DFW's progress is a joke, NYC is getting there... It's not exactly going quick by any means but it's still making more progress than DFW IIRC. LA has tons of towers so this market will take some time. Then you have Florida, and Michigan one of which is underway (Florida) but I have yet to see any actual numbers/completed sites. I know work in Florida is being done, tons of reports of it to show that, but nothing has gone live as far as I can see.
Expand your moderator at work
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next