spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-03 08:42:17: As leaks had suggested yesterday, Deutsche Telekom's board this morning approved a deal that would combine T-Mobile and MetroPCS. ..

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Deutche Telekom finally gets to dump T-Mobile

If this gets thru the FCC and DOJ, looks like Deutche Telekom will finally get its wish - to dump T-Mobile in the US and get out of the US market.
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/
xenophon

join:2007-09-17

Re: Deutche Telekom finally gets to dump T-Mobile

Yeah, this is more about DT dumping Tmob rather than the merger allowing them to be more competitive. The real test will be if Tmob stops the loss of customers after the merger.
iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

They may, but it won't be because of MetroPCS. By the time MetroPCS gets merged in, TMo will have LTE-A across at least part of their footprint.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

Their combined footprint is tiny.

T-Mobile's right now is tiny.
iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

What's tiny? T-Mobile's coverage? Not really...it's just clustered around big cities. MetroPCS, sure, it's tiny...also clustered around big cities. Just a smaller number of big cities.

But T-Mobile's overall coverage isn't tiny, unless you're removing all population centers from the calculation.
Expand your moderator at work

Maccawolf
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ
said by xenophon:

The real test will be if Tmob stops the loss of customers after the merger.

Well, I know PERSONALLY, that with this merger, I'm looking elsewhere for MY service. I don't want to have anything to do with MPCS, (it's personal)
--
Mom and Crockett... I miss you both!
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
said by xenophon:

Yeah, this is more about DT dumping Tmob rather than the merger allowing them to be more competitive. The real test will be if Tmob stops the loss of customers after the merger.

The ONLY way to that goal is lowering prices.. and offering much more prepaid flexibility... on par with what Tracfone MVNO companies do today (trac,net10/straight talk).. they have prepaid minutes that scale as low as 4cents/min and unlimited feature phone plans at around $25-$30... Metro once offered an unlimited feature phone plan for $25 a month. There are a whole lot of customers who would be recaptured in this tier... and many more who want a smart phone, but can live with slower data (1-5 megabits). These are prices where VOIP edges out on the high end of cost..

My main concern is MANY people complain about the bad service of MetroPCS... and if Tmobile handles this badly, that can throw upwards of 3-5 million customers into the hands of Sprint, Tracfone MVNOs (which are guess who??? a combination of Sprint, AT&T and Verizon). It's gonna take a miracle not to bungle this the way Sprint did with Nextel.. so good luck!

trebzon

join:2001-09-03
Grandville, MI

Interesting

This could be an interesting development though. T-Mobile's network is not the prize of prizes but MetroPCS' prepaid offerings (probably the most recognizable in that space in the US) will still benefit from that access without a toll to get on. I can definitely see this being a good thing for both organization. Besides, anything that adds any sense of competition to the duopoly that is Verizon and AT&T is a good thing.
Telco

join:2008-12-19
Reviews:
·Callcentric

Re: Interesting

The problem I have with MetroPCS and any budget carrier is that they seem to confuse unlimited for value. Rather than having various tiers, for various types of users, they lock themselves into securing the person who wants unlimited only.

The value carriers around the world on the other hand, including Tmobile's divisions abroad, seem to get that:

1. Not everyone wants or needs unlimited
2. Offering unlimited only serves to congest the network and negatively impact service quality.

Page Plus is probably the only value provider in America that seems to get it. Too bad, they're not expanding and buying up these companies.
hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

Page Plus is NOT an actual carrier. They do not own anything in terms of a network. Instead they're one of the OLDEST MVNOs on Verizon Wireless. They've been around since paging and sold that off and went total resell of cellular. They're based in Holland, Ohio (aka a bub of Toledo).
Telco

join:2008-12-19
Reviews:
·Callcentric

Yes I get that they're a MVNO. What matters is that they are the only Wireless provider in America that offers plans that many people want. Some only use $12.95 per month. Therefore, why would they want unlimited everything for $50 on MetroPCS.

For example, I pay a fraction for my phone service using CallCentric and the quality is excellent. That is what I want, as I don't need unlimited everything. Apart from PP, which wireless carrier provides the equivalent service?
tanzam75

join:2012-07-19

These people are in the minority. There are far more people going wireless-only than those using BYOD VoIP providers. On DSLReports, it sure feels like it's the other way around, but DSLReports is a pretty self-selecting group.

Not only are they a minority, but they're a low-revenue minority. So they're even less consequential in terms of revenue. Therefore, the carriers aren't really that worried about losing these customers -- even if it's to MVNOs on their own network.

(Of course, there's also the problem of wireless being an oligopoly. In an oligopoly situation, nobody wants to launch a price war.)

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
said by trebzon:

This could be an interesting development though. T-Mobile's network is not the prize of prizes but MetroPCS' prepaid offerings (probably the most recognizable in that space in the US) will still benefit from that access without a toll to get on. I can definitely see this being a good thing for both organization. Besides, anything that adds any sense of competition to the duopoly that is Verizon and AT&T is a good thing.

This could turn out to be a good thing definitely. MetroPcs already has LTE in all of their markets. Switch the Mpcs subs to T-mo phones and operate the same way as they do now. With the very limited footprint and 9mil subs this could be a big hit with a semi-nationwide one.
--

LoneGreyWolf
Premium
join:2002-09-09
Winter Haven, FL
Reviews:
·Earthlink Cable ..

1 recommendation

What happens now for us T-Mobile subscribers?

So what happens to those of us that are with T-Mobile now?

We absolutely love T-Mobile and aren't thrilled with MetroPCS and the other carriers are too expensive.

I also know that my wife has been with T-Mobile for over 10 years.
--
"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep."
~By Robert Frost~
dotditdot

join:2009-09-23
New York, NY

Re: What happens now for us T-Mobile subscribers?

Nothing changes. The same execs running T-mobile will run the new company; T-mobile parent company, Deutsche Telekom, stills own 74% of the company, so nothing will change. This merger was just a convenient way for them get subs, spectrum, and a way to easily list T-mobile US on the market.
tanzam75

said by dotditdot:

Nothing changes. The same execs running T-mobile will run the new company; T-mobile parent company, Deutsche Telekom, stills own 74% of the company, so nothing will change. This merger was just a convenient way for them get subs, spectrum, and a way to easily list T-mobile US on the market.

Deutsche Telekom is paying $1.5 billion in cash, but MetroPCS had a market cap of $4 billion before the merger was announced. So the majority of the merger price comes in the form of shares, rather than cash.

This is thus a combination of a merger and an acquisition. Deutsche Telekom used to own 100% of T-Mobile USA. They're dropping down to 74% of the combined company. The difference of 26% consists of the shares that they're turning over to the shareholders of MetroPCS.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

said by tanzam75:

. Deutsche Telekom used to own 100% of T-Mobile USA. They're dropping down to 74% of the combined company. The difference of 26% consists of the shares that they're turning over to the shareholders of MetroPCS.

Exactally.. the best way to look at this is "cup half full" approach. Don't be dissuaded by TMO loosing a 26% stake in there company, look at it as TMO now owns 74% of Metro PCS.

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

1 edit
Probably nothing. T-Mobile has the bigger network and customer base by far, so everything should stay as is for T-Mobile customers. MetroPCS subscribers will most likely be migrated over to the T-Mobile network, and MetroPCS CDMA will probably be shut down over time. This means eventually MetroPCS customers will need to buy new devices.

MetroPCS does have some LTE coverage, but it is not very fast, so T-Mobile's new LTE network (when it is launched) will be the surviving network. It should be launched next year.
PastTense

join:2011-07-06
united state
If you read the press release:
"The transaction significantly accelerates T-Mobile’s Challenger Strategy and the combined company will be a strong, national competitor by:

Combining T-Mobile and MetroPCS’ complementary spectrum to provide greater network coverage, deeper LTE network deployment and a path to at least 20x20 MHz of 4G LTE in many areas. Existing MetroPCS customers will be migrated to a common LTE-based network as they upgrade their handsets;
Increasing scale, which allows the combined company to secure more compelling handsets, content and applications;
Projecting approximately $6-7 billon (net present value) of cost synergies and additional upside from revenue synergies;
Capitalizing on its leading position as a provider of fast growing no-contract services;
Offering a wider selection of attractive, competitively priced plans to better serve the marketplace, including contract, no-contract monthly, SIM-only, pay-as-you-go and mobile broadband services;
Introducing MetroPCS’ plans and services to a larger number of new areas to complement T-Mobile’s offerings; and
Using its stronger network to advance its B2B offerings and MVNO platform."

tanzam75

The "challenger strategy" appears to focus on growth in prepaid services. Bullet points 4 and 6 both talk about non-contract services.

As of June 30, 2012, T-Mobile had 21.3 million postpaid customers, 5.3 million prepaid customers, and 3.8 million MVNO customers. (2.8 million M2M, but those aren't people, so I won't count them.)

MetroPCS had 9.3 million "subscribers" -- presumably all prepaid.

--

If you do the math, the combined company will have 21.3 million postpaid customers, vs. 18.4 prepaid and MVNO.

This is quite a change! T-Mobile has gone from a 2:1 postpaid/prepaid split, to practically 1:1.

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
I hope nothing changes down here (Puerto Rico) since MetroPCS has no presence here. I went with T-Mobile after the Death Star assimilated Centennial Wireless (of which I was a customer for 9 years) and after it was announced that T-Mobile would not be asimilated as well and hope I will not need to change carrier due to this merger.

viperpa33s
Why Me?
Premium
join:2002-12-20
Bradenton, FL

One way to destroy a good thing

This is going to suck. Just looked at T-Mobile site and to get something comparable to MetroPCS is going to cost an extra $50 to $70 a month or more.

Benefits of Metro

1) No 2 year agreements with Metro

2) No such thing as Whenever minutes with Metro.

3) Can call ANY domestic phone (cell and home) 24/7

4) No such thing as Metro to Metro calling. Can call any provider for $50 a month

5) All taxes and fees included. Which means all you pay is $50 a month

6) 4G Network

Drawbacks with T-Mobile

1) Whenever Minutes® you can use anytime

2) Two-year agreement—great discounts on phones

3) Two lines to start, add more lines if eligible

4) Unlimited T-Mobile® to T-Mobile calling

5) Unlimited Nights and Weekends

6) Free domestic long distance and no digital roaming charges across the US

One way to destroy a good thing!
axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: One way to destroy a good thing

That does make MetroPCS look better. I really don't know anything about them, that's a good overview. I think you listed some benefits of Tmobile such as "great discounts on phones" abd "no digital roaming charges" as drawbacks. 2 year agreement would be bad if Sprint, Verizon, AT&T weren't worse. I've got the minimum minutes and rarely hit the limit, so it hasn't bothered me.

How is the coverage for MetroPCS? Anything like roaming charges?

viperpa33s
Why Me?
Premium
Bradenton, FL

said by axus:

That does make MetroPCS look better. I really don't know anything about them, that's a good overview. I think you listed some benefits of Tmobile such as "great discounts on phones" abd "no digital roaming charges" as drawbacks. 2 year agreement would be bad if Sprint, Verizon, AT&T weren't worse. I've got the minimum minutes and rarely hit the limit, so it hasn't bothered me.

How is the coverage for MetroPCS? Anything like roaming charges?

MetroPCS current business model is for the metro areas. Last time I looked, they are expanding to more of the outlining areas. Granted, MetroPCS is not for everyone. It's not good for people who travel allot but good for people who are on a limited budget. If you go out of the area MetroPCS area, you need to buy minutes just in case.

I work an hour away from my house and is always within the Metro area. I always maintain at least 4 bars both at home and at work. The problems that Metro has is no different than the problems the big cell carriers have. I would say I had more problems when I had AT&T than I had Metro.

With Metro, no such thing as limited minutes. Don't have to buy anytime minutes. You can call as much as you want when you want without any worries.

Damn, I sound like a commercial for Metro....lol No, I don't work for Metro. I just hate when a good thing happens and something comes a long to take that away.
axus

Washington, DC

1 recommendation

Nah, it's OK to be a happy customer. Look at it this way, what if AT&T had bought MetroPCS? If MetroPCS were acquired, T-mobile should be your first choice. Best case scenario, you can keep your same plans and have more towers on your network.
iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

1 recommendation

What plan do you have with MetroPCS?

You can get unlimited everything (voice, text, data) for $70 from T-Mobile, or $50ish from one of their MVNOs (like SIMple Mobile). Buy your own phone up front just like you're used to doing. If you go with an MVNO there's no contract.

Also, T-Mobile's network is faster than MetroPCS's network in FLorida. Unless I missed something and MetroPCS is now offering 20 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up reliably over their LTE.

viperpa33s
Why Me?
Premium
Bradenton, FL

said by iansltx:

What plan do you have with MetroPCS?

You can get unlimited everything (voice, text, data) for $70 from T-Mobile, or $50ish from one of their MVNOs (like SIMple Mobile). Buy your own phone up front just like you're used to doing. If you go with an MVNO there's no contract.

Also, T-Mobile's network is faster than MetroPCS's network in FLorida. Unless I missed something and MetroPCS is now offering 20 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up reliably over their LTE.

Apparently you don't have MetroPCS so I will explain to you what goes on. There is no minute cards with MetroPCS. MetroPCS is a true unlimited service with the exception of data.

MetroPCS sends you a text message letting you know when your bill is due. You can either pay the bill online or go into any Metro store to pay it. If you don't pay it by the due date, you can't use your phone. You then have 30 days to pay your bill and keep your number active. If you end up not paying your number gets put into the pool.

Your not showing me anything I don't already know. MetroPCS has been offering LTE service. MetroPCS is starting to offer voice over LTE.

What T-Mobile offers is less than what I get from MetroPCS for the same price.

»www.metropcs.com/metro/detail/pe···/4GALL50
iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

I see your MetroPCS and raise you a SIMple Mobile: »simplemobile.com

$50 per month for unlimited everything. Very similar to MetroPCS in the way you get billed. You pay for your phone up front, just like you do with MetroPCS.

I haven't used MetroPCS because I have never lived in their service area. I have used CricKet, which is very similar. I have used Pocket Communications before it was folded into CricKet. Again, very similar...except with Pocket you could get unlimited calling, texting and picture messaging for $25 per month once upon a time. Now that, I contend to you, is a good deal.

So, with that knowledge in mind, take a look at Straight Talk or SIMple Mobile. Both use T-Mobile's network (Straight Talk gives the option of Sprint, AT&T or Verizon as well). Both offer unlimited voice and texting, and unlimited (within reason) data. Both are in the $50 per month range. MetroPCS no longer has a monopoly on cheap unlimited service, and hasn't for a few years now.

koopie

@verizon.net
You should be comparing their prepaid monthly "4G" page, not the contract pages.

»prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

tmh

@verizon.net
said by viperpa33s:

Benefits of Metro

2) No such thing as Whenever minutes with Metro.

3) Can call ANY domestic phone (cell and home) 24/7

4) No such thing as Metro to Metro calling. Can call any provider for $50 a month

People still call each other? How quaint.
tanzam75

said by viperpa33s:

This is going to suck. Just looked at T-Mobile site and to get something comparable to MetroPCS is going to cost an extra $50 to $70 a month or more.

???

You're comparing MetroPCS prepaid to T-Mobile postpaid.

You should compare MetroPCS prepaid to T-Mobile prepaid.

Specifically, T-Mobile Monthly4G Unlimited Talk, Text, and Web.

Same $50 you're paying now. No contract. Taxes included. Call any phone.

viperpa33s
Why Me?
Premium
Bradenton, FL

said by tanzam75:

said by viperpa33s:

???

You're comparing MetroPCS prepaid to T-Mobile postpaid.

You should compare MetroPCS prepaid to T-Mobile prepaid.

Specifically, T-Mobile Monthly4G Unlimited Talk, Text, and Web.

Same $50 you're paying now. No contract. Taxes included. Call any phone.

Go to each others site and compare, the same $50 plan
tanzam75

said by viperpa33s:

Go to each others site and compare, the same $50 plan

And?

*Four* different people have now replied to you, pointing out that T-Mobile's $50 Monthly4G prepaid unlimited plan sure looks equivalent to MetroPCS's $50 prepaid unlimited plan.

You listed six benefits to MetroPCS -- all six of which are also present with the T-Mobile Monthly4G plan. You listed six drawbacks to T-Mobile -- none of which are present in the T-Mobile Monthly4G plan.

It may not be identical in all details, but the main points are essentially equivalent. The main difference that I can see is in how roaming is handled. But then, T-Mobile also has broader nationwide coverage, so you can stay on the T-Mobile network in more situations.

Replying "Go to each others site and compare" doesn't help advance the discussion. We have already done that. Now it's up to you to show us why we're blind. What, exactly, are you getting with MetroPCS that you wouldn't get with T-Mobile prepaid?

Two other people have already posted the link to T-Mobile's Monthly4G plans. You didn't reply to them, so I will post it again. Please go to the URL and compare the $50 T-Mobile Monthly4G plan with MetroPCS, point-for-point, and tell us what we're all missing:

»prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
You realize that T-Mobile has a prepaid plan for $50 unlimited Talk, Text and Web, right?

Sounds like same price point for same thing you have.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

SteelerRaw

@timet.com

"New" company

Starting off with $20.4B in debt. Yikes!

•••
NiteSn0w

join:2010-12-24

1 recommendation

Does anyone else smell another Sprint-Nextel catastrophe?

This is going to fail due to both carriers having incompatible voice and data networks/technologies. Unless T-Mobile and MetroPCS start deploying LTE rapidly along side VoLTE there's going to be no benefit for either carrier or their customers.

•••••••••••
PastTense

join:2011-07-06
united state

How much was MetroPCS valued at?

How much was MetroPCS valued at (per subscriber, premium over current market value...)? Considering these are prepaid customers and incompatible technology I wouldn't expect a lot.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

Re: How much was MetroPCS valued at?

said by PastTense:

How much was MetroPCS valued at (per subscriber, premium over current market value...)?

In June they were valued at about $5.50 per share. YTD highest was about 14.50. 363.5m shares. 9.3 million subscribers. So a low of $214/subscriber and a high of $566/subscriber.
tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

Info

Good, easy to understand info:

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410529,00.asp

northalabama

Huntsville, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

why all the tmo/mpcs hate?

i seem to be one of the few happy about this news. a tmo customer for 10 years, they have the best voice quality in my local mkt, and great data, too.

our att and verizon networks are built on old, broken down infrastructure from companies past, and it isn't getting better with age (or patches).

voice calls on verizon here sound like callers have socks in their mouths (old gte network). att has snail paced data, less coverage than verizon, and not that much more coverage than tmo. att has done little, if anything, to improve their service, only making excuses. were not big enough at 500,000 metro for verizon or att to care.

tmo's network is much higher quality, and has only gotten better over time. sure, i'm not in ny, la, or dallas, but i expect see great things for our neighborhood and others that have been forgotten by the big carriers. go, tmo!
--
The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace

••••
BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Great

This is going to be a mess. Two terrible networks together equals ???

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

Re: Great

said by BiggA:

This is going to be a mess. Two terrible networks together equals ???

Where will the mess be? When the dust settles there will be only 1 network, Period.. As this will be simpler than expected compared to the sprint/nextel fiasco. With that sour deal they tried to keep and maintain both networks, that was a fail. The details have been given with TMO-Metro that there looking to shut down Metros cdma network and moving people to TMO's GSM/HSPA/LTE Network.

Seeing as how most of the areas that Metro is servicing TMO currently has coverage its a simple phone swap out at the easy point. The only real issue is re-farming Metros spectrum to be used with TMO service and deciding what Metro towers to keep that overlie or closely overlie a TMO tower.
BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Re: Great

Even then, it's going to take a couple of years, and neither carrier has good coverage, so at the end, they will still have terrible coverage.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

There isn't much technical compatibility, either

MetroPCS's bands and T-Mobile's don't jive well so it looks like they will try and migrate customers to T-Mobile's spectrum and then do what with MetroPCS's.... sell it probably.

I just hope T-Mobile continues upgrading and doesn't fold up.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini
dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA

Re: There isn't much technical compatibility, either

Both T-Mobile and Metro Pcs have 1700/2100mhz spectrum and 1900mhz spectrum. The big job is to convert Metro PCS from CDMA to HSPA+/LTE. Verizon did this with Unicell fairly quickly after they bought out Unicell