spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-03 09:28:40: We noted recently how FCC boss Julius Genachowski has been wishy washy in both supporting and being "concerned" about bandwidth caps at the same time, depending on which audience he's giving a speech to. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1

They just FAIL period...

They have no spine to deal with the issues that need to be dealt with, why bother having an FCC if they can't do the job right?

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 edit

1 recommendation

The FCC lacks authority...

I don't see how tis is an FCC issue anyways. It really falls under e FTC or some other Federal Agency.

Edit: Spelling

--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

It An Election Year

Folks don't loose sight of the fact the FCC is a politically appointed group. Also it is an election year and the candidates need contributions/financing from the likes of ATT, Verizon, TWC etc. So in the spirit of don't bite the hand that feed you, the FCC will look the other way to protect the benefactor who appointed them.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Twaddle

@sbcglobal.net

FCC toothless hags

The FCC hasn't done squat and won't do squat to ensure anything except protect the interests of those who own them and keep the political whores happy enough to keep them in their cozy jobs. They are a bunch of gutless "yes boys". The US public is delusional if they think the various Washington departments are there to protect the citizens, they've demonstrated their failures all too often. Washington is for sale to the highest bidder nothing more nothing less.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

Bandwidth

Most of the people at the FCC do not even know what bandwidth is.

nasadude

join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD
reply to Cheese

Re: They just FAIL period...

the FCC isn't afraid to do anything about the issues, they don't want to do anything (except pay lip service)...it's called regulatory capture.

and I agree - you could abolish the FCC and probably wouldn't notice any difference.

anybody want to take a be that when Genachowski's term is over he goes to work for a telecon company or industry lobby group?

nobodyhome

@verizon.net

promote and police

govt agencies have conflict of interest where they essentially have to both police and promote the industries they regulate. so the promote wins over police. plus congress regularly pushes the agencies to promote and has gutted their enforcement departments hurting their ability to police.

Telco

join:2008-12-19
reply to Cheese

Nothing to do with having no spine. The Republican establishment has severely limited the reach of such organizations. Therefore, their hands a tied.

Under the GOP manifesto, anything that stands in the way of profits is to be eliminated.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

Solution is simple

1000x damages for overcharging customers. The problem would be fixed tomorrow. Good luck though, consumers don't have lobbyists to get them extraordinary penalties like the MafIAA does.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to battleop

Re: The FCC lacks authority...

Can't enforce it but the FCC gets what they want by coercion. Do what we want or we'll feet drag and run interception on everything you want to do.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to nobodyhome

Re: promote and police

It's not the government's job to promote anything.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to pende_tim

Re: It An Election Year

So do you think FCC-related issues will be heavily debated this evening? Yeah it's an election year. But no one cares what the FCC does as it relates to the election. It's not even a blip on the political radar.

PaulHikeS2

join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Telco

said by Telco:

Nothing to do with having no spine. The Republican establishment has severely limited the reach of such organizations. Therefore, their hands a tied.

Under the GOP manifesto, anything that stands in the way of profits is to be eliminated.

You are absolutely correct. Under prior administrations the FCC has alwayd been a paragon...no...a beacon of hope for consumers everywhere; enforcing and enacting regulaion with the best interest of consumers everywhere without being beholden to the whims of any corporate influence.
--
Jay: What the @#$% is the internet???

txpatriot

@or.us

No basis for a complaint

I guess nobody bothered to read the GigaOM article. Higginbotham relies on the FCC's Net Neutrality Rules as the basis for filing a complaint about ISP caps and metering practices.

But of course those rules have been appealed to a federal district court so their status is up in the air. I don't think the rules have been suspended pending the outcome of the litigation, but I think the FCC is taking a wait-and-see attitude before going all-out to enforce rules that may later be overturned. I think that is a prudent approach.

I can understand why others might not feel that way. But before you vent, at least read the article and educate yourselves. Venting for the sake of venting accomplishes nothing.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to cdru

Re: It An Election Year

Not looking fpor a debate topic, This is just a statement that ATT/Verizon/Comcast/etc are major political contributors and FCC does not want to upset the apple cart.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

txpatriot

@or.us
reply to nasadude

Regulatory capture?

said by nasadude:

the FCC isn't afraid to do anything about the issues, they don't want to do anything (except pay lip service)...it's called regulatory capture.

Regulatory capture indeed. That must explain why the FCC rolled over on the AT&T/T-Mobile deal . . .

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
reply to PaulHikeS2

You'll need to put your satire flags on for some. :P

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL

Caps are not a solution

Its purely profit is all it is. Comcasts 250gb Cap was reasonable by 2007 standards and they have suspended it in my area.

However, caps can be totally unreasonable. Like on my smartphone. $15 a month with AT&T for data gets me...200MB.

Thats right...200 MB a month. I cant afford texting, so thats not there either. (Unlimted for $30? Nope, no thanks. Not paying for a service built into the network that costs nothing to run and is funded by voice revenues.)

I dont know anywhere in the world outside of North America (first-world mind you) that charges that much for so little. Its pathetic.

The next step up? 2gb for $30something.

Meh.

There really should not be caps on DSL or Cable, and there is zero excuse for a cap on a Fiber connection.

Caps dont solve congestion.

Mr Anon

@k12.il.us

If my bandwith is measured

I'm not saying I'm for caps at all. My question is, if I pay for this product and it is billed by measurement, why is the meter not inspected by my state's office of weights and measurements?

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to battleop

Re: The FCC lacks authority...

said by battleop:

I don't see how tis is an FCC issue anyways. It really falls under e FTC or some other Federaal Agency.

+1
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

Irony is ironic

Man of the same people demand the FCC regulate ISPs are the same ones that will vote for Romney and his anti-regulation beliefs. It seems many people hate regulation until they have some need for it.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Telco

said by Telco:

What happened when Obama was President and he had a Dem Congress for 2 yrs. Nothing changed then either. Can't blame GOP for an FCC cowed by industry players.
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

Premium
West Tenness

1 recommendation

reply to Zenit

Re: Caps are not a solution

said by Zenit:

Its purely profit is all it is. Comcasts 250gb Cap was reasonable by 2007 standards and they have suspended it in my area.

The 2007 part is hyperbole as most people still don't use near 100 GB. And the new cap is going to be between 300 and 600 GB depending what tier you have. I'm not saying I agree with their caps I'm merely pointing they are not 250 GB anymore so to use that as a point is moot.

However, caps can be totally unreasonable. Like on my smartphone. $15 a month with AT&T for data gets me...200MB.

That's mobile and that's different. Though their caps are crappy and are lower than they could be. People who think mobile should be able to offer unlimited data for $30 are obtuse though.

Also for $15 more you can get 3 GB. Yeah that sucks too but stating that you get 200 MB for $15 is a bit exaggeration because it infers $75 per GB.

I cant afford texting, so thats not there either. (Unlimted for $30?

It's $30 for unlimited family texting. Unless at&t does it differently.

I dont know anywhere in the world outside of North America (first-world mind you) that charges that much for so little. Its pathetic.

A) You could move. B) you could speak with your wallet and not pay those prices. No one is forcing you to stay with at&t.

The next step up? 2gb for $30something.

3 GB actually with at&t.

There really should not be caps on DSL or Cable, and there is zero excuse for a cap on a Fiber connection.

Unless it's FiOS no major ISP is 100% fiber. And even with fiber I doubt an ISP could have even 20% of their customers using 10 TB a month or more.

Caps dont solve congestion.

Just flat monthly caps, no of course not. Doesn't stop any possible congestion at the beginning of the month since no one has hit the cap yet.

Caps with a FAP free period from 12 Am - 6 Am to encourage people that download/upload large files to do it at night when the network isn't as heavily used WOULD solve any congestion issues if they actually existed.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Mr Anon

Re: If my bandwith is measured

Because ISPs want to charge like a utility but don't want to be regulated like one.

nasadude

join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD
reply to Telco

said by Telco:

I repeat - the FCC DOES NOT WANT to do anything; they are fully committed to the status quo and are perfectly willing to let said status quo inch more and more to the benefit of the industry they (supposedly) regulate.

democrats love having the excuse of "the republicans made me do it", it lets them pretend they are on the side of the people.

lack of regulation is one of the more bipartisan issues that exists.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to txpatriot

Re: No basis for a complaint

Those rules will never see the light of day. The problem with that is the FCC lakes control over the Internet. the Internet was defined by them by Information Services NOT communication services.

The FCC's job also was NEVER to police the Internet nor TV, nor Telephone. They're job was to police the airwaves for radio stations. Instead it's expanded and now they just do what they want when they want. 95% of their "rules" can be over turned in court if people really wanted to push them. And Companies do that know that the FCC is over steping its boundries.

Telco

reply to PaulHikeS2

Who controlled Congress for the majority of the last 30 years? Who do you think has the most say in any of this? Congress.

While the future president may have magic underwear, contrary to popular (ignorant) belief, the president does not have a magic wand.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

Looking for work at the FCC

Julius Genachowski is not wanting to offend one of his future bosses.

Telco

reply to FFH5

said by FFH5:

What happened when Obama was President and he had a Dem Congress for 2 yrs. Nothing changed then either. Can't blame GOP for an FCC cowed by industry players.

It's amazing what he is magically supposed to fix in under 2 years flat. From the worst recession since the depression, balancing the $1.4 Trillion deficit handed to him, ending to two wars, to healthcare, to the FCC etc etc.

Interesting how your ilk never had any of the same expectations from a president in office for 8 years, with Republicans controlling Congress for a full 6 years; well since 1995 actually.

rdmiller

join:2005-09-23
Richmond, VA

Romney has a plan

Romney will remove the "oppressive regulatory burden" from the internet and everything will be okay.