dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-03 16:26:51: Surprising nobody, new filings indicate that Clearwire has given itself the option to delay the build timeline for their new LTE network. ..

tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

angles

there's very few angles too look at Clearwire... the only way I see them moving forward is filing for bankruptcy, and once the dust clears selling out.. probably to Sprint.. who wouldn't want virtually FREE LTE build?

I liken it to something on par with Fairpoint and Frontier.. loaded with debt.. THEN whammo bankruptcy could make the company anew... that is if there were any interest in the assets.. the main difference LTE is not rust bucket copper.. it's cutting egde... and the angle is to get the freebies w/o the debt liability
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Re: angles

What you fail to remember is the WiMax network WAS Sprint's to start off with. They unloaded the network and assets to Clear by trying to take the easy way out and become an MVNO on someone else's network. Sprint should have kept the network and built it out to start off with.

Clear could team up with the rural LECS- CentLink, Fairpoint, Frontier, etc and work on bringing them on as MVNOs and shareholders. Would give those companies new products and services to offer their customers.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

Why so much bundling

What is the big deal with bundling? Why do I have Comcast trying to offer me cellular service when they are clearly not a cellular provider? Nothing about cellular has anything to do with cable service. What gives?

JasonOD
@comcast.net

JasonOD

Anon

Re: Why so much bundling

said by dnoyeB:

...Nothing about cellular has anything to do with cable service. What gives?

It's to monetize their (cablecos) investment they made in spectrum holdings a while ago. Smartly letting Verizon provide the services in exchange for spectrum access. While creating an environment it would seem, for Verizon to focus on mobile and away from competing wireline (fibre) based services. Win, win.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Re: Why so much bundling

Comcast already made out on their spectrum, they sold that to Cellco dba VZW for $$ and the option to become an MVNO. They took both. But this deal will end just as all the others. Cable has no plans on becoming an MVNO of any sort.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
·Charter

brianiscool

Clearwire

They should become the first wireless TV service. Offer some kind of top box you hook up to your T.V.s at home and offer different video services. No internet required comes with a Clearwire box. The monthly subscriptions would just go towards Hulu Plus, Netflix, ect.. whatever else they can add for online services.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

Re: Clearwire

pretty sure they don't have the bandwidth for that.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

It would be a cool concept though. Just a plain pipe just for multimedia.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to ArrayList

to ArrayList
actually they do. And in some markets they don't throttle or cap. When I had them in CLE (images are posted on here) I could easily download over 50gigs per month and nothing. At one point I hit over 10 gigs in one night with 4 DTV boxes updating on the connection plus PPV. Not to mention 3 students where using it and the one worked for a major Hospital in Cleveland and was always working from home uploading major documents to their VPN.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
said by brianiscool:

They should become the first wireless TV service. Offer some kind of top box you hook up to your T.V.s at home and offer different video services. No internet required comes with a Clearwire box. The monthly subscriptions would just go towards Hulu Plus, Netflix, ect.. whatever else they can add for online services.

This would have to be done on the LTE network not WiMax as there currently isn't the constant bandwidth to support it.

I don't think they would want to deal at all with the content. It would be interesting if they were able to contract with a cable over builder like RCN who would provide the video service.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

hottboiinnc4

they wouldn't really need RCN. The company that Google hired for their IPTV service actually provides IPTV service to other companies as well. Plus there are CLECs/ILECs that would offer it and lease out their headend to Clear.
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer to brianiscool

to brianiscool
said by brianiscool:

Don't you mean using the internet? Wireless cable was around in the 1990s and used the spectrum that is licensed to Clearwire now.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

Cash Infusion

The only way I see Clearwire being able to build out an LTE network on time is with a cash infusion from another operator.

Clearwire would be really successful if they offered wholesale LTE service in really dense urban areas.

However, Sprint will prevent them from partnering with any of the other 3 big carriers.

An interesting strategy (which they seem to be pursuing) would be to target a few metro areas with an operator like Earthlink who desperately needs a DSL replacement.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Hope they live...

...I'm one of 3 customers that gets great WiMax service from them. I'd be pretty bummed if they went under.
PastTense
join:2011-07-06
united state

PastTense

Why doesn't someone buy them just for the spectrum?

Why doesn't someone buy them just for the spectrum? A lot of carriers talk about a spectrum shortage.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Re: Why doesn't someone buy them just for the spectrum?

Because 2.5GHz is useless to cell carriers. None of their phones can operate in that range. They'd have to design completely different phones. (unlike AT&T's repurposing of the EDGE (2G) network... their "4G" phones have radios capable of operation in those bands.)
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

AT&T should do a contract with them

AT&T needs the capacity. Imagine AT&T getting access to CLEAR's spectrum and sites to supplement their own network. Then, CLEAR's 2600mhz spectrum is no longer a downfall, as the more suburban and rural areas would be covered by AT&T's own system, and 700 and 1700mhz systems would fill in in-building coverage gaps, while still relieving strain on the network.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk

Premium Member

Re: AT&T should do a contract with them

said by BiggA:

AT&T needs the capacity. Imagine AT&T getting access to CLEAR's spectrum and sites to supplement their own network. Then, CLEAR's 2600mhz spectrum is no longer a downfall, as the more suburban and rural areas would be covered by AT&T's own system, and 700 and 1700mhz systems would fill in in-building coverage gaps, while still relieving strain on the network.

LMFAO

Another person has bought into the "spectrum crisis"
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Re: AT&T should do a contract with them

What do you want, a tower every 5 feet? To a certain extent, more spectrum is needed. From somewhere. AT&T&T would have helped that a lot, but no the FCC blocked it.