spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-04 09:42:50: On Monday it was revealed that a bug in the iPhone 5 was resulting in the device using cellular data even when connected to Wi-Fi, resulting in users paying considerable overages. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Neat, sorta

I was wondering why I was chugging 30mb a day with my phone on WiFi only on the weekend over cellular.

I was going to call Verizon and ask for a logfile but I saw this on the site the next day and the carrier update.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Miami, FL

I love the purple flare as well.

Apple truly shows the suns color. I never knew it was Purple.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

guess

Guess they will have to go unlimited for Iphone 5 till they are capable of fixing their issues or risk being sued

loveageek
Premium
join:2009-07-10
Oregon City, OR

iOS 6

Is is just me or did Apple really drop the ball with this release of the software? Phone seems all right but the software seems like it was thrown together over a few weeks time...

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
Apple must have dumped their Quality Assurance group. Is very surprising the carriers didn't catch this in their testing either. How does something like this slip through Apple and every single carrier. QA has taken backburner to getting product out quickly.

jtimson

join:2000-08-10
Tuckahoe, NY

VZ only in US?

If you follow the link to the Apple fix, it only mentions Verizon. The Aussie story mentions Telstra, but they are not a CDMA Carrier anymore. Are there any other US carriers that have this issue?
--
"You can never tell how deep a puddle is from the top" Dennis the Menace

Suntop
Premium
join:2000-03-23
Fairfield, MT
Reviews:
·3Rivers Communic..

Something is rather FISHY about this CRAP. BAD POOL APPLE!

Um, Something is awful fishy about all this crap called iOS6. Could it be that they are in cahoots with the various carriers that charge overages? Or is it gotten so bad with APPLES money grab that they have uses the least amount of money to make a new OS that is full of bugs? Bad pool you fruits! I am so glad I never bought any more Apple's new shiny toys! (BTW I been Anti-Apple for a long time because of their business model) This goes to prove that they are the 2nd most greedy company behind AT&T. And there should be consumer protection in AUS that the user hit with a $6,000AUS bill. Understably that the carriers are not going to offer refunds right off, because they see the profit they can make. However, all it will take is a class action against either APPLE or the cell companies that refuse to credit/refund (in the case of those forced to pay) the overages.

Hidden as it is a rant and opinion of the last year.

Welcome to capitalism of 21st century, where Apple sues to get more capital, send out bugged software for their iPhones, and cell providers will not credit/refund overages and lowering caps while cramming ads to make $$. Either these companies are thing the world is going to end at 11:11 on 12/21/12 and they want to go out with the most money, or they are so uncaring these days that they just want to get fatter!

TO HELL WITH APPLE! I refuse to ever buy another product ever again!
--
The following statement is true...

The preceding statement was false!!
--George Carlin

shortyd999

join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL

iPad

So would it be safe to assume this doesnt affect iPads running iOS6 with 4G? I have a Verizon iPad 4G

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

Shouldn't APPLE be paying these overages?

Why should Verizon have to eat the cost since it's Apple bug?

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

said by 88615298:

Why should Verizon have to eat the cost since it's Apple bug?

I guess Verizon is crediting them off because its not really costing them money to do? Maybe a partial admission that the tiers are what they seem, for profit.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to loveageek

Re: iOS 6

Apple normally "drop(s) the ball" on their major (*.0) releases. iOS 5.0 had the battery drain glitch. iOS 6.0 just seems to be even more buggy than normal. In addition to unusual battery drain at time, I've also lost cellular data for no reason (had to turn on airplane mode and off to get it back), had WiFi issues ("fixed" via restarting device) and other weird issues.

Usually by the time the *.1 release comes out, the major bugs are fixed, but that can take several months.
--
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to slckusr

Re: Shouldn't APPLE be paying these overages?

said by slckusr:

Maybe a partial admission that the tiers are what they seem, for profit.

You mean Verizon is in business to make money? Man I though businesses got started to give people free shit just to be nice.

not

@comcast.net
reply to loveageek

said by loveageek:

Is is just me or did Apple really drop the ball with this release of the software? Phone seems all right but the software seems like it was thrown together over a few weeks time...

With the into of 5.x and 6.x iOS versions, Apple took onboard some old RIM coders that left RIM a couple of years ago. It's no wonder we're starting to see some of the same basic mistakes that plague Blackberry. Some of these idiots don't need to be working.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

This is new ? I think not.

This is absolutely nothing new and applies to devices other than the iPhone 5. iOS devices use cellular data while in sleep mode even when WiFi is enabled and the device is in range of the WiFi network. I have no clue why it works this way but it does.
I am surprised nobody complained before.
I bet it's only now becoming an issue because most carriers are imposing cellular data caps.
J

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

2 recommendations

reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by slckusr:

Maybe a partial admission that the tiers are what they seem, for profit.

You mean Verizon is in business to make money? Man I though businesses got started to give people free shit just to be nice.

you can turn a profit while being REASONABLE to the customer. The data allowances could be a bit more fairer to the customer.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6

AT&T refunded me

I picked up my iPhone at the UPS store where it was delivered and activated it in the parking lot at 3:30 PM. I refuse to send my data to Apple so I have never used iCloud. I then drove accross town, had lunch and went to my office where I restored the phone from my computer. According to AT&T I used 5GB from 5PM to midnight. The iPhone data meter shows something like 800mb downloaded, 50 mb uploaded a few days later.

I called AT&T asking why is LTE slower (0.5mbps up/down) than 3G and they refunded me the $30 data plan fee without any hesitation.
--
PRescott7-2097

loveageek
Premium
join:2009-07-10
Oregon City, OR
reply to Morac

Good I thought I was the only one with the cell data issue... nuthin like listening to Pandora on the train and find that you have no connection where I had one before.

sdfsadf

@comcast.net

bring back Steve Job to life

Is it possible to bring Steve Job back to life? Since his death, Apple company becomes sloppy and careless about what customers think. Shut down google map without any explanations. Map is now unreliable. WI-FI bug, Battery drain, and other issues do make Apple looks bad. Where is quality control? If he were still alive, this would never happen. If it does, it would never be this big.

StLCardsFan

join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA

my concern with that is...

what data are these iphones sending and where is it going to?

THat kind of data usage points to real time video/audio streaming.

gherndon

@ulr.org
reply to JimThePCGuy

Re: This is new ? I think not.

agreed. i've been seeing this with my daughter's 3gs for the past 6 months running ios5 and ios6.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to xenophon

They need the money for lawsuits

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

Can't you disable data all together

On my Galaxy S2, if you hold down the power button on the right side it brings up a menu. Once is to power down, another is to turn on/off data.

Does the iphone not have a simple way to disable cell data? I usually have mine off because it prolongs battery life. I flick it on when I need it. As a result I rarely have both data and wifi enabled at the same time.

I have to assume apple has similar function?

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to 88615298

Who cares? The important thing is that it isn't the customer's problem and should be worked out between the "big boys".

jjeffeory

USA
reply to Morac

Ah, is that all? No biggie then, right? Just count on them to screw up the major releases... They're only the richest company in the world...

jjeffeory

USA
reply to JimThePCGuy

Re: This is new ? I think not.

Actaully, people have complained about what you describe, but it wasn't a riot, so many haven't heard about it.

jjeffeory

USA
reply to sdfsadf

Re: bring back Steve Job to life

Actually, it sounds like things Steve Jobs would have done... It's just that he could get away with it and mitigate the damage with the sheepl, er people...

The same thing happened to Apple when Steve left in the past.

jjeffeory

USA
reply to zod5000

Re: Can't you disable data all together

That doesn't disable all data, otherwise you'd not be able to make or receive calls.

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
Reviews:
·TowerStream
On VZ the cell voice is routed over the 1X network not the data network. That's why you STILL can't talk and cell data on the Iphone 5. Until we see VoLTE.

That's also part of why Vz has less dropped calls - they have a CDMA channel that is voice, or data. GSM runs both on the same channel.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to shortyd999

Re: iPad

said by shortyd999:

So would it be safe to assume this doesnt affect iPads running iOS6 with 4G? I have a Verizon iPad 4G

Its not safe to assume anything. Follow the steps of applying the update to ensure your device doesn't gobble down data while on WiFi.
»support.apple.com/kb/HT5526?view···le=en_US

questionable

join:2005-10-18
Phoenix, AZ
reply to jjeffeory

Re: Can't you disable data all together

Calls are not on Mobile data they are considered Voice. This is why Android phones have Mobile data options