dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-05 08:53:50: According to a new report from ABI Research, the price of 4G data (HSPA+ and LTE technology, generally) is 20% higher than 3G services. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

I read this last night....

.... not sure why this comes as a surprise, it costs billions of dollars to deploy a nationwide LTE network. The carriers need to recoup that money in a reasonable timeframe. The article backs up what I've been saying for awhile now, mainly that prices will come down in due course.

Something that I found interesting though, and not specifically related to data:

Voice tariffs are also benefiting from LTE. A number of operators are rolling out Voice over LTE (VoLTE). From analysis carried out by ABI Research into VoLTE services, the higher fidelity offered by VoLTE could help overcome the decline in voice-related ARPU. However, VoLTE is not being priced at a premium over existing circuit switched mobile voice services.

This seems like fantasy land to me, the decline in voice usage is a generational shift more than anything else. Young people are less likely to talk on the phone than their parents, and more likely to utilize text messages/IMs/etc. I think this is a bad thing personally, as it's indicative of the continued decline in interpersonal skills, but that's another discussion.

Point being, does anybody seriously expect voice revenues to go up if the cellular carriers manage to offer superior voice quality? How many people really care about that? Of the small minority that do, wouldn't they simply get a landline, today, rather than waiting for the higher bandwidth mobile voice systems of tomorrow?
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

4G

It is way over hyped!

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Huh?

Let's see... for a lot of who would go from unlimited 3G data for $30 a month to a 1GB allotment for $50 a month (assuming Verizon), then we have the following:

1GB Usage - 167% of your original $30 a month
2GB Usage ($15 per GB overage) - 217% of your original $30 a month
3GB Usage - 267% of your original $30 a month

Man I *wish* it was only "20% higher"
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks

Re: I read this last night....

Except then they'll want to build a 5G network, and rip us off for that. It's a neverending cycle, and without some sort of regulation, it's only going to get worse unless the insatiable greed finally places all these companies outside what the market is willing to bear.
wkm001
join:2009-12-14

wkm001

LTE on Prepaid

I'm really looking forward to prepaid options getting access to 4G LTE. I'll probably have to wait for 5G to come out though.

On the plus side, now that everyone is moving toward 4G, my 3G is much faster. The day Page Plus Cellular gets access to Verizon's 4G, I'll immediately buy a 4G phone. 4G would be nice but it isn't a requirement.

On the rare occasion Pandora plays a song I don't like, I wouldn't have to wait so long for the next song to buffer.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks

said by Crookshanks:

The article backs up what I've been saying for awhile now, mainly that prices will come down in due course.

Because, as we all know, TelComs and CableCos are known for reducing prices.

Right. Pull the other one, its got bells on

My wife and I recently, as a result of lengthy, thorough research and discussion, decided we're just going to skip the whole "smartphone" and data thing entirely. We're not even going to look at it again. Like subscription TV: Far too much for far too little.

Jim
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to Os

to Os
said by Os:

Except then they'll want to build a 5G network, and rip us off for that.

They'll want to? I think you have that backwards, consumers want better, faster, and more reliable data networks, otherwise there would be zero incentive for a carrier to spend billions of dollars building one.

Anyway, if you think you're being ripped off, that brings us to....
said by Os:

unless the insatiable greed finally places all these companies outside what the market is willing to bear.

Oh and:
said by Os:

and without some sort of regulation

What does regulation have to do with prices? The carriers charge what the market will bear. Judging by the fact that they keep adding new data consumers, I'd say they aren't ripping us off. Do tell though, what kinds of regulations do you want to see, and how do you believe they bring prices down without also discouraging investments in network expansion?
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus

Fixed price, low bill

I think people want a low bill, at the advertised price, that never changes.

Let's take AT&T for example. They could offer a $50 plan, and provide what they can to still make a profit. Change the voice minutes, text messages, data cap, data speed, to whatever makes sense. But don't stick all these fees or increases on there.

Then Verizon could offer their own $50 plan, and compete on features. Leave out price as an issue, and see who has the better features.

Never happen, but a cell phone customer can dream
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve

That Can't Be True!

How can 4G be priced higher than 3G? Isn't it all the same price? I don't even know of anyone that has different prices for them. If a 4G phone can't get 4G shouldn't it fall back to 3G so you'll have service? Ok, the Samsung Exhibit II that Walmart sells can't get 3G but the Galaxy S-II does and will fall back to 3G if 4G is not available.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to jseymour

to jseymour

Yes, prices will come down when we let what few firms are left merge together. Economies of scale will magically lower prices! [/industryshill]

We've heard this shit before. It doesn't work.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to brianiscool

to brianiscool

Re: 4G

This is true. 4G is over hyped. Maybe it's my aging thunderbolt, but I rarely get over 6mbps in DC area on Vz LTE over the course of about 2 years and I'm consistently having to use "3G" connections, which allow me to do the things I want to do away from wifi such as stream audio, use Google Maps, and use other basic applications. With all of the restrictions on new "4G" connections, their utility is questionable. I DO have unlimited data, but it's not that useful right now.

So, yea, 4G is over hyped... It shouldn't be priced higher, it's an incremental upgrade that should be included in the cost of doing business, perhaps like the transition from 1X -> 2G -> 3G...

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks

said by Crookshanks:

said by Os:

They'll want to? I think you have that backwards, consumers want better, faster, and more reliable data networks, otherwise there would be zero incentive for a carrier to spend billions of dollars building one.

Recent study concluded that the majority were, in fact, happy enough with 3G.

(No, not going to look it up. It was posted to the front-page news, here, I believe. Feel free to disbelieve it if you wish.)
said by Crookshanks:

...what kinds of regulations do you want to see, and how do you believe they bring prices down without also discouraging investments in network expansion?

Yeah, that was SBC's argument against giving CLECs access when they initially wanted to expand their DSL footprint.

We can see how that's worked-out, can't we? Now that they've got their footprint monopoly, they want to discard it and force consumers on to the wireless network for which they whine they need more bandwidth.

Jim

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB to jseymour

to jseymour
Whats wrong with having a smart phone that has wifi only? Ive done that for years. This is my first month having a data plan. And that plan is only $5 because I still mostly get my data over wifi.
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes to ArizonaSteve

to ArizonaSteve

Re: That Can't Be True!

4g is 3g plus. it really done to using tech so dam propitiate(dont think spelling word right) that the cost to upgrade or replace is very high
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Short Term Effect

So-called "4G" costs more out of the gate, because so many sheep are willing to sign for it as they lust for their latest fashion accessory.

When the carriers need to convert the hold-outs, prices will moderate.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

Yup, good point. We're not going to be able to change that one here. It amazes me how effective the marketing has become these past several years though... I mean, we are so driven by upgrading and and having the absolute latest thing. Our country is hooked on listening to the hype more than ever. Kinda sad really.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf

Premium Member

Spot On Article

My carrier charges $40 monthly for unlimited, talk, text and data at 3G.

They charge $50 monthly for 4G.

Close enough to 20% for me.

»www.mysimplemobile.com/S ··· lan.aspx

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to elray

Premium Member

to elray

Re: Short Term Effect

said by elray:

because so many sheep

For those of you playing the home drinking game, down that shot

CCNnorthcali
join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA

CCNnorthcali to Lone Wolf

to Lone Wolf

Re: Spot On Article

For those that do not know, Simple Mobile is an MVNO using T-Mobile's network. Using a HTC One S and Simple Mobile's $50/mo plan, I regularly pull in speeds of 12Mbps down. It really is a good value, although I wouldn't test the unlimited data. They've been known to get upset about "excessive" usage past 2GB (although now there are some people claim it's been raised to 3GB).
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to Crookshanks

Premium Member

to Crookshanks

They basically started with LTE faster than other countries because Verizon skipped the whole HSPA+ step and was still on slow EVDO, and AT&T doesn't know how to or doesn't want to put the effort in required to build a dense urban HSPA+ network like has been done in many other countries.
antennaman19
join:2010-01-18
Painesville, OH

antennaman19 to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ

Re: Short Term Effect

nice.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to Lone Wolf

to Lone Wolf

Re: Spot On Article

That's kind of silly since it's only $30/mo for unlimited 4G that also works on 3G if you buy it at Walmart. You can actually get speeds of 22Mb if you are near a 4G tower but there aren't too many of them, mostly near T-Mo stores so you'll be on 3G most of the time.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf

Premium Member

said by ArizonaSteve:

That's kind of silly since it's only $30/mo for unlimited 4G that also works on 3G if you buy it at Walmart.

Got a link? If I can save $10 monthly I'll check it out.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Os

to Os

said by Os:

If you feel you are being ripped off then we use their services? Ok you tell us what is the appropriate pricing should be. And please tells us HOW you came to that. Hopefully you actually did some research and not just pull numbers out of your ass.

88615298 (banned) to dnoyeB

to dnoyeB
said by dnoyeB:

Whats wrong with having a smart phone that has wifi only? Ive done that for years. This is my first month having a data plan. And that plan is only $5 because I still mostly get my data over wifi.

because at some point you will want to use data and you won't be near Wi-Fi. And considering these companies are $50 per GB or more on people that don't have data plans I don't think you'll like you're bill when it comes in.

88615298 (banned) to jjeffeory

to jjeffeory

Re: 4G

said by jjeffeory:

This is true. 4G is over hyped. Maybe it's my aging thunderbolt, but I rarely get over 6mbps in DC area on Vz LTE

damn I get over 6 Mbps on UPLOAD over Verizon LTE. I've gotten a high as 30 Mbps on download.

88615298 (banned) to pnh102

to pnh102

Re: Huh?

said by pnh102:

Let's see... for a lot of who would go from unlimited 3G data for $30 a month to a 1GB allotment for $50 a month (assuming Verizon), then we have the following:

1GB Usage - 167% of your original $30 a month
2GB Usage ($15 per GB overage) - 217% of your original $30 a month
3GB Usage - 267% of your original $30 a month

Man I *wish* it was only "20% higher"

What are you talking about?

People like to say "data" is $50 a month. If you actually READ the minutes and unlimited texting are also included in that $50 part. Since unlimited texting on a single line under old pricing was $20 then you can say that the 1GB is actually only $30. Of course I haven't even taken the minutes into account.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

People like to say "data" is $50 a month. If you actually READ the minutes and unlimited texting are also included in that $50 part. Since unlimited texting on a single line under old pricing was $20 then you can say that the 1GB is actually only $30. Of course I haven't even taken the minutes into account.

I'm raising 2 kids, so I am used to hearing someone say the same thing over and over again in hopes that I might believe it.

And still, you ignore the facts. The initial $40 fee for adding a Smartphone to a "Share Everything" account covers unlimited voice and unlimited texting. So the $50 a month is purely for data. If you don't want to believe me, go look at the plans themselves. The data bucket isn't sold as "unlimited texting + data", it is just "data."
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by pnh102:

I'm raising 2 kids, so I am used to hearing someone say the same thing over and over again in hopes that I might believe it.

And still, you ignore the facts. The initial $40 fee for adding a Smartphone to a "Share Everything" account covers unlimited voice and unlimited texting.

No it doesn't. Go to this link and tell which part the texting and minutes are on?

It's CLEARLY on the data portion.

»www.verizonwireless.com/ ··· erything

Here I'll even post a pic

The texting and minutes are CLEARLY a part of STEP 2 which is the data portion.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

1 edit

pnh102

Premium Member

The chart simply proves my point. You're not getting more texts for each increase in the amount of money you pay, but rather more data.

And you still haven't proven that my claims in my original post are wrong. You are pay more, and certainly a lot more than 20%, for data. Period.
page: 1 · 2 · next