spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-05 12:41:56: Despite bi-annual price increases, very visible lower income subscriber losses and rate hikes traditionally twice the rate of inflation -- Sanford Bernstein analyst Todd Juenger thinks cable TV rate hikes are being "overblown. ..

page: 1 · 2

XknightHawkX

join:2003-02-13
East Peoria, IL

1 recommendation

I don't watch sports can we get cheaper rate?

because of MVPDs’ focus on the rising cost of sports rights and retrans fees.

If sports rights are the problem then please make a sports tier and let us decide if we want it. I'm not a sports fan. I don't watch sports. But Ala Carte can cost us more or so he says. If I'm not picking a sports channel I should be fine.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to silbaco

Re: Cat food and cable TV rates

said by silbaco:

Good old comcast. Glad they are not in this area. Who is the telco in your area? Centurylink?

In most of Southern New England (Massachusetts where I live and most of Rhode Island) it is Verizon. In Connecticut, they have AT&T. Verizon sold off most of Norther New England (ME, NH, and VT) to FairPoint. Verizon lately has neglected their DSL/POTS network, sold off their payphone business to PTS, and they are focusing their resources on their FiOS (FTTH) network available in the eastern third of Massachusetts and parts of RI. They seem to refuse to upgrade the part of the state of Massachusetts (Springfield) where I live to FiOS so it gives Comcast a defacto monopoly on Broadband as DSL only goes to 3/768 where my current Comcast connection goes up to 50/10.

Verizon is the dominant telco in much of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states with the exception of the areas they sold off to cut rate telcos.
--
I wish I still lived in Iowa; Everything there from rent and groceries to Cable TV is much cheaper in Iowa (especially with an overbuilder in town).

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to 88615298

Re: Are The Cited Comparisons Logical?

Well -- yes, there's certainly that point but I was only speaking to the strategy of softening cable's rate inflation by comparing it to other examples with higher inflation.

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Cat food and cable TV rates

said by IowaCowboy:

I heard that Mediacom went downhill since I left CR.

well, when i first got mediacom ~4 years ago, we did not have a modem rental fee, did not pay extra for voice mail on phone, did not have bandwidth caps with overage fees, did not have an MTA rental fee (phone modem) and did not have a 3 strikes and your banned for life DMCA policy.

we have all of that now. and dont even get me started on the DVR rental fee's...

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
reply to Os

Re: Comparing to Pet food is bad journalism

said by Os:

Some video providers have no interest in providing deals. I think this is largely a myth unless you live in a FiOS/u-Verse area.

The last time I called Atlantic Broadband to see what specials were available, they told me to drop my internet speed. I was paying $150+/month for TV, internet and phone, and I didn't even have a cable box.

about a year ago my promo on phone with mediacom expired, went from $10/mo to $50/mo, called them up and asked if they could put me back on the promo. answer? "no" told them if they didnt i would switch my phone service to another line on my cell phone and get voice mail included for just $10, could they match it, because once i did it i would "not" be switching back, the answer? "no"

a week later i was set up and ready to switch, called customer retention and explaind what i was going to do and wanted to know if they could put me back on the $10/mo promo. answer? "no" i asked them to note on my account right then that i would be porting out in 7 days as per notice requirement.

7 days later i ported my number out. one month later i start getting crap in the mail about coming back for $9.95/month for a year! even had a dude come to my door and ask me to get their phone service. told him exactly what i went thru and said hey, if you want to pay the $300 etf, and give me that $9.95 for 2 years as per my cell contract will talk, other wise, leave. he left.

point is, some companies dont want to do jack until you follow through on what you say youl do and frankly with all of the problems i had, i will "never" switch my phone back to mediacom.

XJakeX

join:2005-03-05
Coventry, RI

The good old days

I remember the days when commercials alone paid for TV. The content providers and TV networks seemed to survive fine for 40 years under that model. Funny how we are still watching commercials with cable, and almost twice as many commercial minutes per hour, but also paying directly for the content.

Of course, the local providers deserve to be paid for stringing the wire to bring a clear picture to your house, but when more than half of your monthly TV bill and probably 95% of those bi annual increases goes to the TV networks, something has drastically changed.

Why do they keep increasing the cost? Because they can.

Internet video can supplement, but it will never replace the current structure. It's too clunky, too slow. There's none of that instant gratification you get from flipping through channels with the remote. No matter how fast Internet speeds get, it will never be the same loading videos as it is flipping from live channel to live channel. Besides, some of the same players are involved in both ends of the business, and what they have now is too much of a cash cow for both of them for either to want to upset the apple cart. Every now and then you read about a dispute between a TV network and a cable/telco/sat company about a rate increase, but it's all for show. They need each other too badly to be serious about it.

The only way you'll ever see a la carte is if the government mandates it, or the parent companies of the networks can find a way to make even more profit with it than without it. It'a a marriage made in heaven for the TV networks and the rebroadcasters.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
said by XJakeX:

Internet video can supplement, but it will never replace the current structure. It's too clunky, too slow. There's none of that instant gratification you get from flipping through channels with the remote. No matter how fast Internet speeds get, it will never be the same loading videos as it is flipping from live channel to live channel

You'd be surprised at how adaptive people can get when cable TV becomes cost-prohibitive. We had no choice but to drop cable TV because it simply became too expensive.

We use Netflix, off-air TV, and other online video sources for our TV viewing needs now. While it remains kludgy (especially with having to use an HTPC with a keyboard and mouse) we don't really miss being able to flip through channels.
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.

kara

@comcast.net

real world for smart people

You need food, electric, gas for car and roof over you head. You don't need tv it not a necessary. If can afford then cool if not don't waste the money on it. Learn to do other things in time off like read a book or get off the couch and live.

desarollo

join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI

The Analysts Never Note Programming Content

Not once have the stock jocks noted the declining quality of cable TV programming. They seem to be mocking the consumer for sucking up the rate increases.

However, I think the consumer is starting to note the raunchy deal. More and more programming is crap reality shows (how many auction, pawn store, people digging through old stuff do we need?) and content that is low quality cheap nonsense.

It probably won't be the cost alone that will cause consumers to really question their cable bill because I think most are unwilling to part with watching TV. What will do it is when they're sitting in their chairs looking for something to watch and there isn't anything there but horrible programming laden with oppressive commercial loads that will make them cut the cord.

When South Park does a show about the bar being lowered in television programming, you know something is really wrong. The networks are doing it to themselves.

XJakeX

join:2005-03-05
Coventry, RI

1 recommendation

reply to pnh102

Re: The good old days

I went the same route 3 years ago when the digital changeover happened. 30 channels OTA(15 in Hi Def), Netflix, the hundreds of other options I get through the Roku, and an occasional Red Box rental are more than enough for me.

But I think those like us, while the number is growing, will always be a niche market. The number of amazingly misinformed people out there is astounding. When I mention to someone that I get my TV for free over the air, the inevitable response is either, "Oh, so you only get 4 or 5 channels?", or "Really? I thought all that over the air stuff disappeared in 2009." Two young guys from Verizon came to my house a week or so ago, peddling FIOS. When I told them I got my TV from an antenna, they said, "So you only get 10-12 channels, then." There's two guys trying to *sell* me pay TV who don't even know what the free competition offers.

As pay TV gets more expensive, more people will consider this option. But the 6 corporations that own or control all the TV channels will eventually reign in those increases when they feel the financial pinch of people deserting pay TV. They only raise the prices now because there's no real competition to stop them. Either that, or they will use their considerable influence and financial lobbying might to put an end to unencrypted broadcast signals, and stop selling TV shows to Netflix, making the non pay TV option much less attractive. The FCC has so far given this two headed oligopoly a free hand in how it runs the show, and it's taken full advantage of that.

Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA
reply to desarollo

Re: The Analysts Never Note Programming Content

said by desarollo:

It probably won't be the cost alone that will cause consumers to really question their cable bill because I think most are unwilling to part with watching TV. What will do it is when they're sitting in their chairs looking for something to watch and there isn't anything there but horrible programming laden with oppressive commercial loads that will make them cut the cord.

It's becoming more likely that horrible programming with oppressive commercial loads will be seen on the same day the bill comes. Todd Juenger thinks cable TV rate hikes are being "overblown" either because he's paid more than he's worth or doesn't actually pay a cable bill. The rate hikes for crap are unsustainable long term and the investors are starting to realize it.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

1 recommendation

reply to ke4pym

Re: Comparing to Pet food is bad journalism

said by ke4pym:

said by Kearnstd:

First off one can stock up a month of pet food for less than a cable bill. Second the cable TV never goes on sale and has coupons. So even as the food prices go up, one can shop smartly and still get more for less of a good name brand.

With Cable and Telco services one can only get more services or less services and the price swings accordingly, You cant go to the cable office with coupon and get two premiums for the price of one.

That's not /quite/ entirely true. If you're not calling up your video provider at least 2 times a year to see if there are any special packages that you may be eligible for, you're doing yourself a disservice.

I'm always getting some kind of discount. Even if it is just $5 here or $5 there. Still a discount.

First off, that's a total crock to have to call and beg for those "specials" every few months. If they can give you a set price for a year or 2, make THAT the regular freaking price, period!

Secondly, if the business is ran as stupidly as Charter is, where they no longer allow ANY specials for current customers, and in fact, they are not even allowing customers to keep their own modems anymore, and they have only 2 HSI tiers, you are totally f***ed again!

So, the only "disservice" here, is the disservice the cable/Telco's provide!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA
reply to Kearnstd
People love their pets, no one ever called cable TV man's best friend!