spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-08 08:52:12: While T-Mobile didn't get the iPhone 5, they're pulling out all the stops to ensure that the damage caused by that fact will be minimal. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

One Phone, Multiple Networks

Wasn't there a time where the carriers were touting this idea that, once their networks were in sync, consumers would have the option of taking their device to any carrier they wanted?
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

Too bad this isn't true for CDMA-based providers. It'd be nice if you could simply enter the ESN for any CDMA phone into your provider's website and BAM... service.
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.

JasonOD

@comcast.net
reply to Rob

Maybe the smaller carriers or elsewhere in the world, but no legitimate carrier here in the US would be want that. Or consumers for that matter as that would destroy carrier's phone subsidies.

mech1164
I'll Be Back

join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

Too bad this isn't true for CDMA-based providers. It'd be nice if you could simply enter the ESN for any CDMA phone into your provider's website and BAM... service.

That's what consumers want not what carriers want. The Carriers want only two things. More of your Money and CONTROL. By controlling the handsets and access they can force you to pay more money than it's worth for services you want. One day we might get it right as of now don't hold you breath.

Slagish2

join:2010-09-07
Joliet, IL
reply to Rob

Wouldn't that be nice.

On the plus side, at least verizon iPhone 5 seem to work on AT&T HSPA+ network. And possibly work on Tmobiles network also.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Rob

How about instead of running around spending money to bend over backwards for Apple just to get a buggy phone, I want more coverage, a hell of a lot more coverage. When I drive to Timbuktu I want full bars no question's asked.

If it wasn't for the cheapest plans of all carriers I would have jumped ship, but I like my freedom of a GSM network. Plus for people who travel abroad there isn't much CDMA coverage if at all.

Anyone who wants to read about the world carriers and there customer base here it is, scroll down and see where T mobile is ranked it's pretty funny.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mo···perators

Telco

join:2008-12-19
Reviews:
·Callcentric

2 recommendations

reply to pnh102

That's interesting because Repubs always talk about the market forces. Yet whenever you indicate failure after failure within the market of this flawed creed, I hear crickets.

It's not because CDMA carriers couldn't allow it, rather, it's much easier for them to block it and lock you into their network. It's no coincidence that this is not a problem elsewhere (like Europe), where the 'government' (aka We the People) have mandated open and compatible handsets and networks.

Our way is another reason why Verizon can now charge $40 for 300mb and get away with it too.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
reply to Camaro

You'll probably disagree with me, but I firmly believe that, because of Apple, AT&T, VZW, and soon, Sprint, have been upgrading their network to support the iPhone.
--

Telco

join:2008-12-19

Network Map

I do wish Tmobile would update their maps to illustrate active 1900 cells.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to Rob

Re: One Phone, Multiple Networks

said by Rob:

Wasn't there a time where the carriers were touting this idea that, once their networks were in sync, consumers would have the option of taking their device to any carrier they wanted?

that was a long time ago when there wasnt that many networks around, the biggest one at that time was at&t.
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

2 recommendations

reply to Telco

said by Telco:

That's interesting because Repubs always talk about the market forces. Yet whenever you indicate failure after failure within the market of this flawed creed, I hear crickets.

Yawn. We get it. Everything is the Republicans' fault even when they aren't in power. Amazing how they can pull that off.
said by Telco:

It's not because CDMA carriers couldn't allow it, rather, it's much easier for them to block it and lock you into their network. It's no coincidence that this is not a problem elsewhere (like Europe)

That's interesting because Democrats always talk about how great everything in Europe is. Yet whenever you indicate failure after failure in Europe's own economic and debt problems of their flawed approach, I hear crickets.
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

How Much

Not that I need one right now but I am curious how much they will sell for. I purchased a good quality micro-SIM cutter several months ago that works perfectly and cuts mini-SIM's down without any problem. It was about US$3.50 on eBay and I understand nano-SIM cutters are already appearing. Might make more sense to get a cutter if T-Mobile's prices are more than the cost of a cutter. SIM thickness does not appear to be an issue from tests people have done.

At this time, I have a Sprint locked iPhone 4S so I have no need for a nano-SIM. Still it is always good to plan ahead just in case. The bigger problem for me will be getting Sprint to completely unlock my iPhone next October when the two year contract is up. So far they have been telling people who have paid the ETF or otherwise completed their contract to go pound sand. Much like AT&T was doing until April.

--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Mt Baldy, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 recommendation

reply to Telco

Re: Network Map

said by Telco:

I do wish Tmobile would update their maps to illustrate active 1900 cells.

Not official, but... »airportal.de/

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
reply to n2jtx

Re: How Much

They'll probably keep the cost in line with their regular and micro cards, $9.99 I think.

thomasnetguy

@comcast.net
reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

you actually can in ,ost cases if you are willing to do a bit of 'flashing' to get the setting right.

while sprint does not allow flashed phones. verizon, cricket and metro always have. so while it is extremely rare for people to put spirnt phones on verizon it is entirely possible. flashing is common on cricket and metropcs.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
reply to JasonOD

Carrier subsidies need to go, these subsidies are really a myth, they don't foot the bil, you do in the form of higher monthly bills, that they continue to charge you for even after the subsidy is covered.

Look at the $20 a month saving you get if you buy your own phone on t-mobile, or the prepaid byod sim plans and you'll quickly realize that those phone subsidies are actually not in the customer's best interest, maybe one day Sprint will follow t-mobile plans.

Kommie
Premium
join:2003-05-13
united state
reply to pnh102

Stop listening to Fox News. Scandinavia, Germany, and even Poland are doing very well. Greece is whats talked about, but there are other countries in Europe that are not having any economic failures.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium
Westfield, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Rob

No I wont disagree you have a good point, but if they do start upgrading we all know where its going to be. I would guess to say Boston, New York City, L.A. to name a few.

I just don't want to live in a big city or around one to get top notch coverage, I like going outside and cant see any of my neighbors,and I don't want a SAT. phone just to make a phone call.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to pnh102

said by Telco:

That's because some (many? most?) conservatives take it too far, just as some (many? most?) liberals take it too far the other way.

It is possible to have free and open markets, where market forces compete, and have the public not getting screwed. It's also possible to have reasonable government oversight and regulation and have businesses not getting screwed.

For example: If you own the device, all compatible carriers must accept it. If a carrier subsidizes a phone, they are allowed to lock it to their network, but they must unlock it once the subsidization is satisfied. Carriers may not charge for subsidizing a phone when they're not, in fact, subsidizing a phone.

said by pnh102:

That's interesting because Democrats always talk about how great everything in Europe is. Yet whenever you indicate failure after failure in Europe's own economic and debt problems of their flawed approach, I hear crickets.

Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal are not "all of Europe." You might just as well blame the entire U.S. for California's failings.

The truth is we have some of the most expensive, least bang-for-your-buck subscription TV, broadband and wireless services in the world. I don't care how you slice it, that's just wrong.

Jim

Bob61571

join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL
reply to Kommie

I have a number of Belgian friends (10) that just got laid off in last few weeks.... Manufacturing production / orders are down at their facility and other Euro facilities for this large US company.

MovieLover76

reply to Camaro

Carriers are always going to upgrade the areas that give them the biggest return on their investment first, ie Cites and other heavily populated areas and really they wouldn't be a very good business if they didn't.

As long as corporations run our wireless and wireline infrastructure, if you choose to live in very rural areas where you can't even see a neighbor, your going to be the last the get upgrades.
Like everything else it's a trade-off of where you choose to live, congestion and everything right at your fingertips when you live in a populated area like I do, NJ or open spaces and driving half an hour to the supermarket (not saying you do, but my parents lived in a place like you describe and it was a half hour drive to the supermarket)

MovieLover76

reply to Rob

Re: How Much

You can order a t-mobile activation kit with a sim for $0.99 online, I did exactly that last month.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

said by MovieLover76:

You can order a t-mobile activation kit with a sim for $0.99 online, I did exactly that last month.

Is that like a loophole?
--

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to mech1164

That is not true for any provider today, CDMA or GSM. The base frequencies are uniform(2G, mainly voice), but data (3G, LTE) frequencies are all over the map so if the phone doesn't support that band, then your $600 smartphone is a flip phone.

Outside of carriers locking phones, they create phones that don't work on others spectrum.

The big issue for Tmo is that their HSPA+ is very fast, except it has poor coverage and only their phones support these modes.

None of the iphones (CDMA/GSM - the CDMA do GSM) use data on 3G for TMO, it's all edge (2G), so dialup.

The iphone 5 now uses LTE in addition to the others, except Tmo current bands are still left out. So unless they have 1900Mhz (and I think Vegas just got on line) you are still on dialup. The metropcs dumping will help because they have CDMA frequencies and the all important NorthEast bandwidth that was lacking.

This is years down the road, so why would you want to put a $700 device in dialup mode when there are lots of prepaid options where it works in LTE mode? Or you could just pay the postpaid bounty.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium
Westfield, MA
reply to MovieLover76

Agree, But it still makes me feel better to complain.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to Rob

This thread is doing a terrific job of confirming my decision to take a pass on "smart"phones

Jim

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

said by jseymour:

This thread is doing a terrific job of confirming my decision to take a pass on "smart"phones

Jim

Smartphones have their intended purpose, and for those of us that need access to e-mail, Internet, etc, they make for a wonderful tool.

I personally am enjoying my iPhone 5. More than I thought I would.
--

CCNnorthcali

join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA
reply to elefante72

T-Mobile is deploying 1900Mhz HSPA+ at a lightning pace. Check out user reports here:
»airportal.de/

T-Mobile's coverage is not bad in urban areas, it just depends. Their plans are a great value for a lot of people. T-Mobile's LTE (launching next year, they're already working on it) is going to be compatible with all AT&T LTE phones.

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN

Is it worth it?

To do this, you have to go to Apple and buy an unlocked iPhone 5 for $600 or more or wait forever to get a used one on craigslist. Sure doesn't seem worth it to me.
--
»Music2pc-This program is AMAZING!

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Camaro

said by Camaro:

Plus for people who travel abroad there isn't much CDMA coverage if at all.

Verizon will let you unlock any phone for international use. I can unlock my iphone for travel abroad if I wished. Only a few minor caveats on this which shouldn't be a problem for nearly all customers.
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8