spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-08 18:33:54: Last week I noted how Time Warner Cable has joined a growing list of companies who are charging cable broadband customers an additional fee to rent their cable modem. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2

So thankful to have Comcast..

I'm so thankful to have Comcast.

bookertdub

join:2012-10-08
San Diego, CA

I thought Comcast charges a $7 modem rental fee every month?

anon

@reliablehosting.com
reply to Rob

said by Rob:

comcrap has its own problems so you arent in the clear either with them.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to Rob

...who has had a modem rental fee for 4+ years now. The modem rental fee has gone up on Comcast from $3 (reasonable) to $5, then $7 or $8 (unreasonable, even if you include a wireless router in the deal).

But hey, they don't require you to buy an 8x4 D3 modem or gateway from Motorola if you want to buy rather than rent. TWC does, which bugs me...my node only has 4x1 bonding right now so a SB6120 or 6121...or, heck, a Zoom 5341J if they really want 8x4 capability...would work just fine. But no, TWC had to pick (for D3 users anyway) a wireless gateway that's rather expensive and a modem that's now both expensive and hard to find.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to bookertdub

said by bookertdub:

I thought it was now $5, but I could be wrong. But where Comcast made things easy was on self install of your own purchased modem. I bought mine, went thru self-install, and returned their modem the next day to have the monthly rental removed. Everything went smoothly.

I get a 4x3 channel bonding on a Motorola SB 6120.

P.S. $7 mo for rental modem my area when I checked
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Rob

said by Rob:

Rob,I'm so thankful to have Verizon Fios.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to anon

said by anon :

said by Rob:

comcrap has its own problems so you arent in the clear either with them.

What problems? Cause I'm pretty happy with them. Online self-activation, a large selection of supported modems, IPV6, etc. Nothing like TW and their shenanigans.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to patt2k

said by patt2k:

said by Rob:

Rob,I'm so thankful to have Verizon Fios.

FioS =! Cable

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

DOCSIS 3 customers are screwed at the moment

The only approved DOCSIS 3 modems are the Motorola SB6141 and SBG6580 (with built in router + wireless). The Cisco DPC3010, Motorola SB6121, and the Ubee DDM3513 are not approved.

The SB6141 is out of stock at most vendors and some eBay gougers are now listing them as high as $200. They were going for $99 on Amazon before all of this chaos started.

Those on slower tiers who can use a DOCIS 2 modem have more choices, but buying an outdated modem isn't a good idea for the long term.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
reply to Rob

Re: So thankful to have Comcast..

Im so thankful to have Optimum Online...

No modem fees whatsoever. $49.95 for 15/2 or $64.95 for 50/8. Modem included (Arris TM802 for me).

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

Yikes, $49.95 for 15/2?!

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
reply to anon

What problems none here
--
Caddy

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to Rob

said by Rob:

Yikes, $49.95 for 15/2?!

That's better then the $62.99/month I'm paying Time Warner for 15/1.5... And that's before this modem rental BS started!

/M

bookertdub

join:2012-10-08
San Diego, CA

Bought a Motorola Surfboard SB 6141 modem

Well as soon as I heard about this modem rental fee, I bought the Motorola SB6141 modem on Tuesday, 10/2 on Amazon.com for $114.99 including shipping(interestingly enough, the next day, that same modem on Amazon.com went up $20 the next day). I got the modem on Friday, 10/5, installed it around 10pm that night. It took me about 15 minutes to activate the modem over the phone. Then on Saturday, 10/6, I returned the TWC owned modem and I was in and out of the TWC office in10 minutes. The modern works fine on TWC's standard internet plan, but for whatever the reason, Powerboost doesn't seem to work for the tier of internet with the Motorola 6141, but I do get the advertised speeds. In the end I'm happy with what I've got and ready for DOCSIS 3.0 whenever that transition occurs. While the new fee may suck, at least for the time being, Time Warner Cable still has uncapped inherent. I suppose if a new modem fee or buying modem meant delaying capped internet, I can't complain too much. I suppose thats the glass half full approach I usually take.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to bookertdub

said by bookertdub:

They do but the have a nice, super ez system to get your newly bought cable modem running in a few minutes, without calling!
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

mario44222

join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ

Modem Fees

I thought TWC of NYC/NJ always has been charging a fee for modem rentals... I might be wrong though. But when I had TWC before moving to FIOS I was charged a rental fee.

Gandalf4503

join:2002-06-27
Cohoes, NY
reply to mackey

said by mackey:

said by Rob:

Yikes, $49.95 for 15/2?!

That's better then the $62.99/month I'm paying Time Warner for 15/1.5... And that's before this modem rental BS started!

/M

Uh... what? I have TWC and I'm paying $48.98 a month for 20/2. Either your market is overpriced or you're being ripped off.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2229694650.png

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12

said by Gandalf4503:

Uh... what? I have TWC and I'm paying $48.98 a month for 20/2. Either your market is overpriced or you're being ripped off.

How about both?

Read it yourself: »www.timewarnerla.com/pricingguid···0712.pdf
"Standard Internet............. $ 52.99"
I'm on the old, discontinued "Turbo" 15/1.5 plan which is +$10

/M

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

And I'm paying that for 10/1.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
reply to bookertdub

Re: Bought a Motorola Surfboard SB 6141 modem

PowerBoost doesn't work on DOCSIS 3 modems.

FLATLINE

join:2007-02-27
Buffalo, NY

Always had modem rental here.

Wtf is this? I've had internet with TW here in Buffalo since the adelphia takeover and TW has always charged for modem rental. I purchased my own.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to Rob

said by Rob:

What problems? Cause I'm pretty happy with them. Online self-activation, a large selection of supported modems, IPV6, etc. Nothing like TW and their shenanigans.

Biggest one is the usage cap issue which trumps any real benefit that you listed above.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

said by swintec:

said by Rob:

Biggest one is the usage cap issue which trumps any real benefit that you listed above.

Does it? The cap is 300 GB/mo. I average btw 20-30GB/mo. I don't see the cap as a downside to all the positives.
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by FFH:

said by swintec:

said by Rob:

Does it? The cap is 300 GB/mo. I average btw 20-30GB/mo. I don't see the cap as a downside to all the positives.

I think so.

Online activation- once my connection is up through whatever method, who cares about the online activation? ive had to activate once in 11 years.

Supported modems- a big list is nice but does it make you feel better when paying your bill each month? do you think of it as a value added service? i hardly see it as a reason to be happy one way or another about an ISP as it is a non issue once your connection is up and running.

IPV6- not a huge issue for me and mostly a non issue for the majority. certainly wouldnt make me happier about the service. Most want to get to the sites and services that they require and this runs fine without IPv6.

I suppose you could say the same about bandwidth caps...different strokes for different folks?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Screwtwc

@rcn.com

No rental fee for rcn...yet

So glad rcn doesn't charge a rental fee for now and no caps. $35 a month for 25/2 in NYC.

crazediamond
Maybe you shouldn't be so proud?
Premium
join:2002-01-19
Atlanta, GA
reply to Rob

I'm glad I got hit by a bus instead of a dump truck.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Rob

Oh ya, Comcast is without problems »consumerist.com/tag/comcast/
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to mario44222

Re: Modem Fees

My dad in Fort Lee never paid for a modem and my coworker in Brooklyn never paid for a modem..
Both of them received a notice about this charge.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

don't believe every article you read on the web

i bought a factory reconditioned docsis2 $28 modem from amazon on wednesday, it arrived friday, i called TWCable with the new MAC address and my account number - the entire call and hold time was under 10 minutes. 72 hours later I get a call from a human saying they switched my service from old to new MAC modem and urged me to return the old lease modem as soon as possible. I physically switched out modems and 2 minutes later I was back online. I'll try to hit the local service center line mid day to avoid the worst lines, but the net result is after 7 Months my modem will be free from the 4*7=28 I will save.

»[TWC] TWC New York Modem Activation

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Digital Phone customers are screwed

Grandma up in Maine will be wondering why her bill went up by $4 per month. I would love to buy an Arris TM822G EMTA for her (available on Amazon) but I don't think they will allow customer owned EMTAs.

She currently has a D3 Ubee voice/data gateway (gateway is so I can connect my gadgets to the Internet at her house).

If I bought her an EMTA, I would get one with a battery. I own an Arris TM722G (that I have on Comcast) and Arris hardware is top notch quality with solid voice quality. The junk that TWC issues is cheap trash compared to my Arris modem. I have dealt with Ubee and SA/Cisco equipment at her house and the voice quality of that equipment is not even as good as my Verizon iPhone (cell phones can never match the audio quality of a landline) and I can tell its the modem because I at one time had the exact model of cordless phone as grandma. I was always replacing her phones and my phones (either uniden or radio shack) and I finally bought Panasonic based on advice from DSLR.
--
I wish I still lived in Iowa; Everything there from rent and groceries to Cable TV is much cheaper in Iowa (especially with an overbuilder in town).