spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-09 09:43:53: The U.S. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3

pearcy

join:2004-12-08
Chicago, IL

Not the first Allegation against Huawei

»business.financialpost.com/2012/···-pieces/

Baud1200

join:2003-02-10

can only imagine the fear mongering if the things were made in Iran...

pearcy

join:2004-12-08
Chicago, IL

The only thing made in Iran is Fear.

Baud1200

join:2003-02-10

and scary hats...

milkman82

join:2006-06-19
Lakewood, OH
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US

1 recommendation

I am actualy on board with the intelligence committee

China has had a long history of spying on US companies. Is everyone that forgetful not too long ago when an employee with worked for Motorola was Chinese and the FBI actually busted her before she made it to the plane. She had the thumb drives for the secrets for iDEN that Motorola had been working on. She stated that she was working on behalf of the Chinese military to steal communication secrets. That was just one case of many.

I find it crazy that people on here are saying this is due to competition. It's honestly just creepy the fact they are here!

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to KodiacZiller

Re: Frightening

"Not likely."

I agree it's not likely but it's not impossible. As long as there are humans and greed in the process it's always a possibility even it it's an extremely remote possibility.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

skyward

@ericy.com
reply to modifiy

Re: Anyone see 60 mins on this?

The true is the Gov don't really need backdoor to any equipment to spy on it citizens. Most that information can be bought by the Gov from a number of company or they can just tap the line. Don't even need a backdoor.

The problem is not it is manufactured in China. It is design in China. It is a lot harder to find any backdoor if it is design into it. Who knows. It may not be a backdoor but a kill switch.

TelcoHead

@acterna.com
reply to milkman82

Re: I am actualy on board with the intelligence committee

+1
Both Huawei and ZTE are companies with murky pasts and have been linked to the Chinese military numerous times. Unlike most of their competitors - Erricsson, Cisco, NSN, Alcatel Lucent these two are not publicly held and do not divulge much information on their financials.

Industrial espoinage is the modus operandi of many Chinese companies - steal IP and save all the R&D expenses, giving them a huge cost advantage and the ultimate demise of their competitors.

skyward

@ericy.com
reply to dnoyeB

Re: Irony?

No really irony.. Just good US government policy. Don't buy from someone you don't trust. Same reason we don't buy tanks from Russians. We are talk about a wireless infrastructure and not a McDonald happy meal toy here.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to rradina

Kind of gives you the warm fuzzies about those folks who are always so concerned about their 2nd Amendment rights, now, doesn't it?

scross

Cordova, TN
reply to Chubbysumo

n/m

scross

Cordova, TN
reply to Chubbysumo

I might characterize this as "Better than nothing, but a day late and a dollar short!" The Chinese have long maintained an active but low-key cyber-warfare program against the US (along with an active but low-key spying program utilizing Chinese nationals within US borders), where if nothing else they are conducting industrial espionage - or at least attempting to. This was one of the main topics at an FBI meeting I attended a few months back, where they made it clear that they are finally starting to take this stuff very seriously. I haven't read this report yet, but I'm curious as to what details it gives.

sdsd8

@sbcglobal.net
reply to jseymour

and most those healthcare plans don't even pay for nutrition counseling or mental counseling like psychotherapy. Most common factors that contribute to obesity: bad food, bad eating habits (i.e. long intervals, starving) lack of nutritious choices like fruites, veggies, even stress. Some people have underlying mental conditions (like depression) but they don't even know it but it influences their lifetime choices.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

comparison

huawei android 3g smartphone at metro pcs $39 (lowest promo sale price)

lowest promo price for iphone 4(s) $149

part of the bias is a recent anti-china spike.. but it's not rationally based..

any sensitive IT equipment should have the vender and the equipment fully vetted no matter who the mfg. is.

do you really want bad equipment that does target trajectories subject to problems?

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to AnonFTW

Re: FUD

said by AnonFTW :

Regardless, who do you think it is that supplies those companies with gear? Qualcomm, Ericcson, Nortel, Alcatel-Lucent, etc. The government is trying to protect the $100B+ annual revenue of those companies. They don't want ZTE and Huewai entering the market and undercutting the domestic suppliers, which is exactly what would happen.

So the US government is protecting revenue streams for other countries' companies? I think you're reading too much into this.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

I call bullsh*t

Too many devices and commodities are "Made in China".

As for the whole conspiracy theory, other countries could say the same for Cisco and Juniper. Since they are designed and developed in the U.S., the NSA could have their paws in it and have a backdoor to kill off communications for a single country. The same could be told about Microsoft, Adobe, or any U.S. software/hardware developer and producer. How easy would it be to install a snippet of software within the Windows OS and screen all data? Not that hard. It's even easier if the software was part of the core Windows OS.

Honestly, have an American representative sign an NDA, view the designs and schematics, and give or deny the OK needed for chinese companies to sell their products here. That way, there is some oversight instead of overall paranoia. Heck, Huawei and ZTE both sell Android smartphones.. and are capable of being flashed with a third-party firmware. I'd be more paranoid about Motorola with a locked bootloader and unable to install third-party firmware (ex. Cyanogenmod). At least I have control over my device.

Paranoia goes in all directions and so does trust. So far, neither companies have made reasons for us not to trust them.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.2G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,2G RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital DE504,Sun X1034A,2xSun X4444A,SMC 8432BTA,Gentoo]

PaulHikeS2

join:2003-03-06
Manchester, NH
reply to Oh_No

And we vote for the electors. The system works as designed.
--
Jay: What the @#$% is the internet???

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

said by PaulHikeS2:

And we vote for the electors. The system works as designed.

Nope. Each state is different. It is up to the state to decide how electors are appointed. Each political party chooses electors. In most states, if their parties candidate wins the states popular vote then their parties chosen electors get to place the official votes. Most states dont list the electors names on the ballots. I think only 5 states have people vote for the candidate/electoral representative.
In most states the electors only vote in line with popular vote out of tradition. Some states have enacted laws that force the electors to vote with that states popular vote.

The electoral college was a compromise from one side that wanted to have congress elect the president and the other side that wanted the people to elect the president.
One reason for the compromise that led them away from the popular votes was issues with slavery between the north and south.
Another reason was small states favored the electoral system as during those times you were a citizen of your state first and country second, so they had a hardon for states power and the felt that a popular vote would give their state less power.

The original argument for compromise (to have congress elect the president) does not exist to day, thus it makes no sense to keep the electoral compromise going.
The only side left with a valid argument in the compromise is the popular vote side. Why keep doing something when there is no reason anymore to justify it??