dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-10 13:29:21: UK hardware vendor Genesis Technical Systems claims that their new DSL variant can deliver last mile speeds up to 400 Mbps downstream. ..

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to mmay149q

Premium Member

to mmay149q

Re: Why would you "never see it"

said by mmay149q:

said by ITALIAN926:

400Mbps over a 100 foot copper loop !!!?

lol

I know, isn't is sad when we've had gigabit over copper up to 250 feet for the past 10 years? Very true statement dude, this IS lolable........

Matt

2006 to provide 10 Gbit/s connections over unshielded or shielded twisted pair cables, over distances up to 100 metres (330 ft).

FOR THE WIN
Anonymous_

Anonymous_ to AnonFTW

Premium Member

to AnonFTW
said by AnonFTW :

said by mmay149q:

said by ITALIAN926:

400Mbps over a 100 foot copper loop !!!?

lol

I know, isn't is sad when we've had gigabit over copper up to 250 feet for the past 10 years? Very true statement dude, this IS lolable........

Matt

Over a single copper pair?

Cable has like 8Gig over coax assuming if they dedicated it all to internet

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to WHT

MVM

to WHT
said by WHT:

Copper plant = CAT3
GigaBit = CAT6

Telephone is only CAT3 in new deployments, if then.

Gig-Ethernet runs fine on CAT5e.
raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

raytaylor to leibold

to leibold

Re: Pros and cons

said by leibold:

In order for the DSL Ring idea to work DSL signals need to be retransmitted. This means that the CN will need to receive DSL signals at the same frequencies (from the CO) at which it will forward it into the Ring (to the CPE) and vice versa. If the HGW are active components (retransmitting instead of just passing through) the same problem exists there as well. I'm not sure how realistic it is under real life conditions to avoid the feedback problems (from local transmitter to receiver) this is going to cause.

By placing a notch filter on the line, you can allow the voice coming from the exchange to pass through the line while effectivley cutting the line at dsl frequencies. Or you could feed the voice circuits from the exchange by running a PCM encoded system or voip over the top of the DSL signals between the local ring and the exchange backhaul.