dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-11 10:23:08: Several groups have sent the FCC a letter (pdf) expressing concern at the amount of data collected by the agency's speed tests. ..

Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

It's OK!

Being that it may save children, fight infringement and surely stop any possible lose of life through any acts of terrorism we should ignore this, allow it and act like nothing is going on.

Go!
Bob61571
join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

Bob61571

I am all for

calling out the Slow Poke ISP's out there publicly.

What's their beef?

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

SysOp

WHAT?

"allowing the FCC to highlight speed underperformers who've then rushed to correct shortcomings"

I didn't know there was a federal minimum requirement for broadband.

What are some examples of such FCC policy decisions that needs real-world data on speedtest?

I thought the consumer votes with their wallet.
covfam
join:2012-03-05
Black River Falls, WI

covfam

Re: WHAT?

only if your in a market that has more than a single option. for example i have 2 choices charter internet or Satelite and for anyone who has never used satelite for internet its not viable... dialup is better. when i had satelite i consistantly got 18,000ms latency on good days, preventing me from playing even the most basic games online, preventing me from synching online ANYTHING, preventing me from doing anything except read wikipedia. the 25gig bandwith caps make it so you can barely watch the news clips on cnn or you tube videos let alone hulu or netflix or stream any type of audi or use skype oh and the huge latency prevents any real streaming of anything!

here in wisconsin AT&T has lobbies and pushed into effect laws that make it extremely difficult for newcommers to come into the state or for municipalities to make thier own isp. so in MANY places of america your choice is basicly have internet or no internet NOT a vast choice of isp's to "vote with your wallet"

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to SysOp

Premium Member

to SysOp
said by SysOp:

"allowing the FCC to highlight speed underperformers who've then rushed to correct shortcomings"

I didn't know there was a federal minimum requirement for broadband.

No Federal minimum, but consumers should get what they are paying for, and be informed when their ISP advertises one thing and provides another.
said by SysOp:

What are some examples of such FCC policy decisions that needs real-world data on speedtest?

CableVision is a case in point. I pay for 50/8 and I get:

Consistently.

This is a direct result of the FCC speed test results.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

Packeteers

Premium Member

TamaraB, speedtest.net is bogus, man.

most of it's isp boost cached nonsense.

you want a true ISP test, better use;

testmy.net (be sure to choose east coast)

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx

TamaraB

Premium Member

Pretty close to 50, certainly not bogus. And this is to DC, much further than Clifton NJ, right across the Hudson river here.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers

Premium Member

sweet... next time double your up/down size - it should equal or exceed your expected speed to get a more accurate reading that mitigates your ISP's speedtest cheating boost cache. >5mb/sec is impressive... about 300% more than I get stuck at 1.2
mmay149q
Premium Member
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX

mmay149q to SysOp

Premium Member

to SysOp
said by SysOp:

I thought the consumer votes with their wallet.

I don't know where you live, but here in Dallas (Population almost 3 million) I only have 3 options for internet, 2 of them are capped, and the one I'm using is un-capped for now please tell me more about how I can vote with my wallet, especially when 2 of the 3 options are owned by the same company.

My neighborhood internet choices:
AT&T DSL
AT&T U-verse
Time Warner Cable

There are other "competitors" such as satellite internet, and some cell tower ISP, but neither can truly compete with 50Mbps download from TWC... Unfortunately this is how most of America is. In my last apartment my only 2 options were TWC and FiOS. If you really believe that people can vote with their wallet, I feel sorry for you from all that koolaid you're drinking...

Matt

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Here we go... Pre-emptive attack on the Data...

... so that the unfavorable results can be then disregarded.

As a participant in the SamKnows project, I can say it provides a lot of interesting data and statistics about my connection.

I'm glad to help.
big_e
join:2011-03-05

big_e

It largely made up of republican/libertarian think tanks.

Competitive Enterprise Institute
Communications Liberty and Innovation Project
TechFreedom
Center for Media and Democracy
Campaign for Liberty
Institute for Liberty
The Rutherford Institute
Center for Financial Privacy and Human Rights
OpenTheGovernment.org
Liberty Coalition