spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-11 12:37:48: Sprint has confirmed this morning's rumors that they're in talks with Japanese wireless carrier SoftBank regarding some form of acquisition. ..

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

Not sure how i feel...

I know nothing about softbank but if there is significant backing maybe network vision / LTE can get completed quicker and make for a better overall company.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

Softbank

So I think Softbank is a GSM provider? I have a Panasonic Softbank 830P phone here I wonder what this also means?

Twaddle

@sbcglobal.net

End of the line?

Wonder if this means no more unlimited data and an end of the line for Nextel/Sprint company? Sure hope not because AT&T sucks in coverage and reliability in the Bay area. Verizon will bleed you dry for anything more than 4 GB of data. Sigh

xenophon

join:2007-09-17

Son sounds like a loose canon

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Subaru

Re: Softbank

It's not going to mean anything other than a source of cash to "fix" Sprint's financial situation.

It would be nice to get Softbank branding and their domain though as some sites I want to access in .jp you can only do through a mobile handset in Japan like LOVE9CUBE...you need either Softbank or AU.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Yeah I got this japanese phone and a DoCoMo Sony So905ics for testing awhile back but I haven't really done much because of the work to get them to work here and I never had much luck with t-mobile.

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN

1 recommendation

Good for them...

Now Sprint can finally pay off that ridiculous iPhone deal.
--
My Music blog:
»www.zunetracks.net

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

Japanese cell phones

Seem to be pretty awesome, maybe we will see some of that innovation in the USA with the purchase. ( a little innovation there might draw more folks to sprint/softbank.)

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by slckusr:

Seem to be pretty awesome, maybe we will see some of that innovation in the USA with the purchase. ( a little innovation there might draw more folks to sprint/softbank.)

Japanese phones are more about style then anything else.. they recycle them so quick each phone cycle.

big_e

join:2011-03-05
reply to xenophon

Re: Son sounds like a loose canon

He should have bought lightsquared instead. Maybe threatening self immolation will sway the FCC.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
reply to Twaddle

Re: End of the line?

Softbank offers unlimited data, but just like Sprint, you're limited in what you can use because of the quality of the network.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

Otosan the sprint dog?

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
reply to slckusr

Re: Japanese cell phones

Subaru See Profile already mentioned it, but there's nothing special about Japanese mobile phones. And service here is expensive. If you think service in the US is expensive, try out a Japanese carrier for a while.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to swintec

Re: Not sure how i feel...

The better question is, if this does not happen, does Sprint have hte money to even keep NV going.

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to openbox9

Re: Japanese cell phones

said by openbox9:

Subaru See Profile already mentioned it, but there's nothing special about Japanese mobile phones. And service here is expensive. If you think service in the US is expensive, try out a Japanese carrier for a while.

I just wondered because they use nfc, have ota tv etc... (maybe those things are easier to support in a country the size and population density of JP.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
My Sony phone uses NFC for train tickets and vending machines..

You know what's funny is Japan has been using QR codes for at least 5 years and NFC I think for around 4.. it took SO long for it to come here.

DarnellP

join:2004-10-12
Las Vegas, NV
reply to xenophon

Re: Son sounds like a loose canon

Loose cannon? Seems like more of an innovator: »www.forbes.com/sites/terokuittin···-sprint/