dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-15 10:40:22: Leaked documents suggest that AT&T will begin their "six strikes" entertainment-industry anti-piracy campaign starting on November 28. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

2 recommendations

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Simple way to avoid copyright issues

If it's copyrighted, pay for it and download it from a legitimate source such as iTunes or Netflix.

Illegal downloading is a high tech form of shoplifting as it is similar to shoplifting a CD or DVD at Best Buy or Target. Downloading illegally is basically theft in my book.

seamore
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02

seamore

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

If it's copyrighted, pay for it and download it from a legitimate source such as iTunes or Netflix.

Illegal downloading is a high tech form of shoplifting as it is similar to shoplifting a CD or DVD at Best Buy or Target. Downloading illegally is basically theft in my book.

But what if it's not avail. on said sites?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by seamore:

said by IowaCowboy:

Listen to or watch something else??
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
I tried to follow your advice, but neither even tells you what resolution you are buying. They are scam artists and thieves compared to honest pirates.

seamore
Premium Member

seamore to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by seamore:

said by IowaCowboy:

yea, OK

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
so helpful.

seamore
Premium Member

seamore to Wilsdom

Premium Member

to Wilsdom
said by Wilsdom:

I tried to follow your advice, but neither even tells you what resolution you are buying. They are scam artists and thieves compared to honest pirates.

I agree. Also you are forced to watch their ads. If you pay for something, you shouldn't be subjected to their ads.
kmg90
join:2002-08-25
Shawano, WI

kmg90 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
What if buying from the legit sources leads you to spending money on a product you have no absolute control of whether or not it will work or not...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· -w1lDY2c

»www.rockpapershotgun.com ··· am-sale/

Who's stealing from whom when the customer is unable to enjoy the products they legally and legitimately paid for?
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus

I see dead people...

I see dead people... they don't know they're dead.

So basically the MPAA and RIAA now spy on your browsing activity and everybody is OK with it?

I have to say, watching them slowly die would be hilarious if it wasn't so damn shady.
And not only that, but they even have tax payers picking up the tab on a lot of their war on copy & paste.
Kamus

Kamus to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: Simple way to avoid copyright issues

said by FFH5:

Be careful what you wish for...

This is exactly the kind of thing that should scare the shit out of the MPAA and RIAA.

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

1 recommendation

MooJohn

What is the cost of accusation?

If a customer has to pay $35 to contest it, shouldn't the accuser have to pay $35 for every IP accused of infringing?

I've said it before: why do we accept the word of any interested party when it comes to who is infringing? We wouldn't believe them if they claimed to spin straw into gold so why would we take a list of IPs based on their word?

You can't supply the court a list of license plate numbers and say "All these cars were speeding this morning. Cite the owners!"
kshusker
join:2009-10-12

kshusker

ISPs as police never ends well

A lousy idea. Not sure why a company like AT&T (and any other ISP) would spend money to set up a system like this (and it can't be cheap).

The RIAA and MPAA are basically offloading their enforcement to the ISP (and never mind that an IP address isn't proof of anything).

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

why is AT&T responsible?

read the image. "Customers are responsible for how their high-speed internet connection is used..."

so, let me get this straight, customer is responsible for how it is used and AT&T gets to decide how you get to use it?

talk about anti-trust.
ArrayList

ArrayList to kshusker

Premium Member

to kshusker

Re: ISPs as police never ends well

it's worth it if you can make money on it.

MOWAA
join:2010-03-25
Fort Lauderdale, FL

MOWAA to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

While your position is quite admirable, I doubt many online users feel that digital acts of theft are actually criminal.. Its the new modern Robin Hood story.

Plus can you name off a Criminal case involving jail time or probation involving digital theft of copyrighted music or video, applications or such? Id love to read those cases.

Remember without criminal penalties to backup the theft.. the civil aspects are pointless as nearly every form of a financial judgment against you in America with the exception of government imposed judgments can be eliminated via bankruptcy.

osrk
@cox.net

osrk

Anon

VPNs FTW

time to move to encrypted vpn's. $5 a month to protect me from a walled garden of delights what a deal!

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

illegal downloading is not theft in any way. theft requires loss of an item. call it what it is, copyright infringement. and the infringer is not the person downloading it. the infringer is the person supplying it.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Downloading is not theft and is not copyright infringement and is not illegal. Publicly sharing copyrighted content can be illegal.

Get your facts straight.
jjoshua

jjoshua

Premium Member

What exactly happens?

Does my browsing activity get redirected or does my whole internet connection get redirected?

It would really suck for AT&T if they purposely redirected VOIP traffic and someone couldn't call 911 in an emergency.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to Kamus

Premium Member

to Kamus

said by Kamus:

said by FFH5:

Be careful what you wish for...

This is exactly the kind of thing that should scare the shit out of the MPAA and RIAA.

I agree with you. Most people who pirate stuff would not be buying the content legitimately to begin with. Even if this system "worked," it won't result in significant numbers of people buying content... so who will the content industry blame next for faltering sales?
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 edit

silbaco to jjoshua

Premium Member

to jjoshua
No, get your facts straight. Downloading unauthorized copyrighted material is illegal because it is an unauthorized duplication. Courts do and always will rule in favor of the copyright holder if sufficient evidence is available.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

1 recommendation

firephoto to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
What about half the web pages you visit that contain copyrighted photos that are used without permission? Are you prepared to suffer some strikes because you are downloading those images to your computer?
firephoto

firephoto to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

illegal downloading is not theft in any way. theft requires loss of an item. call it what it is, copyright infringement. and the infringer is not the person downloading it. the infringer is the person supplying it.

The factual details they always fail to mention.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

Again the giants lag behind

So the CCI sniffs out IP's from public trackers and maybe some compromised private trackers. Bulks the warning emails to AT&T and others, once your strike tally counts up your walled.

So VPN to an offshore server, and connect to your tracker. Seem's easy enough to counter.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco

sorry, but you are definitely wrong here.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco

Premium Member

No, I definitely am not. I don't know where you guys get this false idea that only the uploading party is liable. Both parties are liable. The uploading party is typically the party that is punished but that does not make the downloader innocent.
axiomatic
join:2006-08-23
Tomball, TX

axiomatic

Apropos?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to seamore

Premium Member

to seamore

Then you aren't going to have a problem from the MPAA/RIAA. No one is going to bother to enforce copyright in a market they aren't engaged in.

Meanwhile people want this stuff for a reason. If you are enjoying it, you should pay for it, support the artists, actors and companies that are putting it together.
skeechan

skeechan to osrk

Premium Member

to osrk

Re: VPNs FTW

Exactly. Pirates will always find a way, usually a very easy way.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to MOWAA

Premium Member

to MOWAA

To take it one step further, downloading is not even pursued civilly... only uploading. So there is a logical disconnect between the concept of 'downloading = shoplifting' argument and the way it is dealt with in court. A person who rips a CD and makes it available to others hasn't 'stolen' anything... all he/she did was piss off the record company because they think they would have made more money if the person didn't make it freely available.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next