dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-18 12:48:17: AT&T has started to publicly complain about Sprint's acquisition by SoftBank and Sprint's now controlling stake in Clearwire -- which will likely end in an acquisition. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

rrm
@tresourcegroup.com

rrm

Anon

ha ha@att

ha ha... damn att

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium Member
join:2005-06-21
Seattle, WA

WiFiguru

Premium Member

Did...

Did AT&T forget that Verizon Wireless is 45% owned by Vodafone? Sounds like AT&T wants to eventually acquire Sprint when they start to crumble.
CSD8086
join:2004-03-12
US

CSD8086

Wasn't the old AT&T Wireless partially owned by NTT DoCoMo? Selective amnesia...
wingrider01
join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO

wingrider01 to WiFiguru

to WiFiguru
ATT "whining" what about those other carriers that starting yelling when at wanted to buy t-mobile? Woult the author of this consider that "whining" also? They bith are doing the same thing so it should be

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop

I hate AT&T like everyone else but....

If Sprint can cry about AT&T buying T-Mobile then AT&T certainly has a right to cry about SoftBank buying Sprint.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

1 recommendation

mogamer

said by battleop:

If Sprint can cry about AT&T buying T-Mobile then AT&T certainly has a right to cry about SoftBank buying Sprint.

Sure they can cry, but they're full of BS. ATT buying T-Mobile would have eliminated a competitor. The Japanese buying Sprint actually stregthens one. Big difference there.
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

That is all.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

any day now..

so, in 6 months we're gonna see cheaper wireless rates?
believe that one and I've got a bridge to sell you..

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5 to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop

Re: I hate AT&T like everyone else but....

said by battleop:

Yes, payback is a bitch. Sprint went to town on AT&T and made an enemy. Now AT&T is returning the favor. And if the US legislators hate the idea of Huawei doing business in the US, they may be persuaded to hate the idea of Softbank moving in.

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

vpoko to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
One big difference: Sprint's whining worked, AT&T's won't.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to mogamer

to mogamer
att is business, about making money, not seeing their competitors stronger, how that makes them full of bs?

now if you said, because they eliminated $10 1000 text plan due to lack of competition then I agree.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080

Re: any day now..

There are cheaper wireless rates already. Check SIMPLE Mobile, Straight Talk, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, Cricket, and several others I'm sure I left out.

Now if you're looking to pay subsidy pricing for your handset AND get a $30 all-you-can-eat plan, you're sort of wishing to have your cake and eat it too.
chgo_man99
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to FFH5

to FFH5

said by FFH5:

And if the US legislators hate the idea of Huawei doing business in the US, they may be persuaded to hate the idea of Softbank moving in.

I disagree. Huawei are Chinese known for many counterfeits. Japanese are an old good known trading partner known for some quality brands like Sony or Sharp.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to vpoko

Premium Member

to vpoko
said by vpoko:

It may. And this could be the group that kills it because Softbank is a foreign company that would own 70% of Sprint - just like it killed Huawei. And telecom is considered a national security industry.:
»www.treasury.gov/resourc ··· -US.aspx

CFIUS is an inter-agency committee authorized to review transactions that could result in control of a U.S. business by a foreign person (“covered transactions”), in order to determine the effect of such transactions on the national security of the United States.

Who are on CFIUS committee:
»www.treasury.gov/resourc ··· ers.aspx
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

Terabit to rrm

to rrm

Re: ha ha@att

Not to mention, it's not their fault that no American carrier is smart enough to expand abroad.

Most of our monopolies fail to grasp that 95% of the World's population lives 'outside' America.

Then again, AT&T is a Texan company, which by nature is oblivious to anything outside that state.

SteelerRaw
@timet.com

SteelerRaw to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5

Highly doubtful. The United States' relationship with Japan is significantly better than their relationship with China. Simply put, SoftBank is no Huawei.
chgo_man99
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by battleop:

Yes, payback is a bitch.

Ahh sweet revenge. Before you embark upon journey of revenge, dig two graves. What would u do if your former "friend" of yours, leveraged against you using his father as a free lawyer to shut you up. Well there is a way to payback without involving them at all.

myosh
join:2001-05-03
Cupertino, CA

myosh to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by vpoko:

It may. And this could be the group that kills it because Softbank is a foreign company that would own 70% of Sprint - just like it killed Huawei. And telecom is considered a national security industry.:
»www.treasury.gov/resourc ··· -US.aspx

Huawei is Chinese-owned. SoftBank is Japanese. Big difference since the US is on good relations with Japan. China... not so much.
myosh

1 recommendation

myosh to chgo_man99

to chgo_man99
said by chgo_man99:

att is business, about making money, not seeing their competitors stronger, how that makes them full of bs?

now if you said, because they eliminated $10 1000 text plan due to lack of competition then I agree.

But what mogamer said is true. AT&T wanted to eliminate a competitor in the U.S. market in buying T-Mobile. SoftBank does not operate in the U.S. so it's investment doesn't eliminate a competitor but instead is strengthening Sprint. While I understand why AT&T doesn't like it, as consumers we should be loving this deal.
Ripperjack
join:2012-01-12
Fredericksburg, TX

Ripperjack to tired_runner

to tired_runner

Re: any day now..

said by tired_runner:

you're sort of wishing to have your cake and eat it too.

What's the point of having cake, if you can't eat it?

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium Member
join:2005-06-21
Seattle, WA

WiFiguru to wingrider01

Premium Member

to wingrider01

Re: Did...

said by wingrider01:

ATT "whining" what about those other carriers that starting yelling when at wanted to buy t-mobile? Woult the author of this consider that "whining" also? They bith are doing the same thing so it should be

Yeah, but the other carriers had good reason to "whine". AT&T acquiring T-Mobile would eliminate competition in the United States Wireless market. This Sprint/Softbank deal will grow competition within the US Wireless market.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat

Premium Member

Not unlike Sprint

Gotta laugh as Sprint complains about everything every other competitor does.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

Looking at Softbank's site

Click for full size
I was looking up Softbank's Japanese plans to see what they offer and what they're about.

I noticed this. Anyone else have a minor case of dyslexia too?
chgo_man99
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to myosh

to myosh

true, but it still does not make att BS because it sought to eliminate competitor. Thats what business is about. Though of course, the deal att sought was unfair for us as customers.
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes to rrm

to rrm

Re: ha ha@att

funny

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to Terabit

Premium Member

to Terabit
said by Terabit:

Most of our monopolies fail to grasp that 95% of the World's population lives 'outside' America.

95% of the world's population can't afford $150 a month for phone service.
rblizz
join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX

rblizz to chgo_man99

to chgo_man99

said by chgo_man99:

Oh, they're free to whine, but there's no law against a competitor getting stronger -- and they know it. There are, however, anti-trust laws that keep one competitor from eliminating a viable competitor.

AT&T's attempt at FUD here will most likely be unsuccessful as it is obviously transparent and self-serving.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to wingrider01

to wingrider01

Re: Did...

You missed a key point, neighbor. The T-Mobile situation was a takeover. The Sprint situation is a change in majority ownership.

One is like Wal-Mart buying Target vs. Samsung buying a majority stake in Target. Samsung is huge but as far as I know, they don't have a retail organization in the US. A Samsung acquisition of Target doesn't affect consumer choice even if they eventually rename it to Tarsung or Samget.
rradina

rradina to chgo_man99

to chgo_man99

True. ATT has been BS a long time.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to chgo_man99

to chgo_man99
said by chgo_man99:

Their press release was full of bs.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next