dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-19 08:34:20: Suggesting a leak somewhere in AT&T's supply chain, a second analyst this week is magically predicting that AT&T will be upgrading at least a few additional DSL customers to U-Verse. ..

decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

usf

They should no longer be eligible for the USF's as its stinking obvious they aren't using it for the networks..

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

Re: usf

said by decifal7:

They should no longer be eligible for the USF's as its stinking obvious they aren't using it for the networks..

No no, they're definitely using it for the network. By using USF funds to run the network, they can use all the money collected from subscribers to line the execs' and investors' pockets.

/M
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

Re: usf

said by mackey:

said by decifal7:

No no, they're definitely using it for the network. By using USF funds to run the network, they can use all the money collected from subscribers to line the execs' and investors' pockets.

/M

This would be accurate Just imagine if ATT god forbid actually seriously reinvested in the networks they gobbled up over the years as the companies they purchased them from was actually in the process of doing.. ATT's too big, they need to sell off parts of their business as they are holding parts of the country back technologically.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to decifal7

to decifal7
So end the program and return the money to the taxpayers.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Fill out

They are simply going to fill out existing metro areas...There is no way this is going to go to rural deployments. The current FTTN would be too expensive unless they switch the last mile and that means running new wires or going to a new wireless fixed topology (whitespace, LTE, etc).

As for the rural areas, they will let them go to DSL or cablecos. 20% of the people for 80% of the work is not cost effective.

If they can build out LTE in those areas, they can get the juicy wireless margin, so call it a day.

As they will have fibre backhaul for LTE, they are good from a capacity perspective. If the governement doles out billions maybe they run a few fibre cables.
canestim
join:2012-01-20

1 edit

canestim

Re: Fill out

After Randall Stephenson said last quarter that they were mulling upgrading more DSL lines I had actually already sent a letter to the Office of the President for AT&T asking them to do that. Just a few days later I received a call from a construction supervisor who said that they had been giving the green light to upgrade our area but he wasn't sure all the details yet as it was just decided. He said he wasn't sure when our area would be upgraded but that it would be upgraded within a 12-18 month time frame. So this analysts prediction may be spot on.

So if it's only 3-5 million lines it will be like elefante72 said, major area fill out and then LTE with Verizon Home Fusion like services for the rest. This is very encouraging for me since I live in a metro area that isn't upgraded (and AT&T is our only provider). I wanted to believe the AT&T guy but I always take it with a grain of salt until a guy is digging or running a line in our neighborhood. But this is encouraging, well for about 3-5 million of us unfortunate suckers anyway.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose

I'm curious how you worded the letter, as I live in a pocket where there isn't a nearby x-box to plop a VRAD next to (Fiber backhaul from CO to the RT, then UG copper to our neighborhood, qualify for Elite DSL). Yet were surrounded by u-Verse. Guys have said it will take running the fiber a lil deeper to us, or placing a VRAD next/in the RT to pair bond us. Maybe this will finally plug out hole were in.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to elefante72

to elefante72
As long as they don't force you over to U-verse tv from the ATT / directv deals and if they do will ATT pay the ETF? Give you the same rates and channel packs??? I don't want to be forced to buy showtime and starzs to get MLB Network, NBA TV, Fox Movie Channel, Planet Green, Fox Business Network, and others.

also 3 HD max is less then I get now.
canestim
join:2012-01-20

canestim

said by Joe12345678:

As long as they don't force you over to U-verse tv from the ATT / directv deals and if they do will ATT pay the ETF? Give you the same rates and channel packs??? I don't want to be forced to buy showtime and starzs to get MLB Network, NBA TV, Fox Movie Channel, Planet Green, Fox Business Network, and others.

also 3 HD max is less then I get now.

They will eventually do some kind of transition like when you make changes to your plan you would have to change over (or forcibly eventually) from DSL to U-Verse Internet but they wouldn't force you over for video services if you have a Directv contract, they are just partners. As for the discounts you receive from bundling they could keep the bundle price or make you pay current Internet pricing, who knows what they will do in your area.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

Actually a nice analysis by Karl

Clearly the telcos are losing to cable in the wired broadband market. As a result Verizon has basically stopped FIOS expansion and doesn't seem to be doing much with their current base. AT&T has a few more legs because they can expand U-verse to new locations a lot more cheaply than Verizon can, they just have to run FTTN and reuse their existed twisted pair runs, which is not free by any means but a lot cheaper than running new FTTH. As this analyst reports, they may be doing just that to milk a few more dollars out and to deprecate their DSL in a few more areas. But that's kind of it.

DOCSIS 3.0 is way faster than vDSL already vs. AT&T, and competes head to head with FIOS. I just put in 50/5 service myself for $50/month from Mediacom at a new home. And DOCSIS 3.1 is coming which will blow away FIOS unless major improvements are made.

I think the telcos are becoming wireless companies. I had thought that AT&T would continue to improve vDSL but they appear not to be doing that. Same old tech is out there on the FTTN. They do have very nice STBs using video over IP and wireless in-home connections, but for broadband, not so much.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

We do not know....

Why don't we just admit we have no idea what At&t is going to do? Just a couple days ago we had a discussion about how U-Verse expansion is done. Clearly, it is not. We don't know what the company is going to do and it sounds more and more like At&t doesn't know what they are going to do either. Why don't we take a step back and wait for their November 8th announcement.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

Re: We do not know....

This sucks. I have DSL and 2 cable lines at my parnets house. I have all my games go through DSL and if I am hosting I make sure the game goes through DSL with pfsense firewall rules.

The routing is so much better, and there is 0 jitter.
I do not want it being upgraded to uverse with its crap pings, and I certainly don't want for it to be "upgraded" to LTE.
TheRogueX
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

TheRogueX

Crap pings? I've never seen a U-Verse speed test with a latency higher than 40ms.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
it's apparently infinite x infinite to blog and speculate than it is to wait. They say "Patience is a virtue"....now-a-days in the blogger world that's like asking and giving death!

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose

Hard to wait when u-Verse is all around you, but your neighborhood don't have it simply BC AT&T is being cheep. They plopped down all around us VRADS at every xbox you can find, but since there is no xbox between me and the RT they haven't figured how to do it. Guys even say I'd qualify for pair bond, based on cable type 22PIC with a small bit of 26PIC. Need to have uverse facilities placed at or near the RT, which at present there isent.

fiber_man
Things Happen For A Reason
Premium Member
join:2001-01-27
Port Saint Lucie, FL

fiber_man

Premium Member

Re:2 gauge change is problem

As stated you have a 2 gauge change in your loop 22 to 26 and that kills the u-verse signal.

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Re: Re:2 gauge change is problem

The tech pulled up the specs and that did not matter.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

what about eastern ohio?

Will eastern Ohio see u-verse tv?
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer

Re: what about eastern ohio?

said by mikedz4:

Will eastern Ohio see u-verse tv?

That probably depends on what the cost per home to bring U-Verse to a neighborhood is? According to the 2010 census 51% of the U.S. population is suburban, 33% is urban, and 16% is rural. Population density shouldn't be much of a factor in the urban and most of the suburban areas but AT&T doesn't want to spend much money on U-Verse so other factors can definitely rule it out. From what I've seen there is still a large amount of rural area in eastern Ohio and those parts probably aren't on AT&T's U-Verse radar.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin

Interesting date

Why is the announcement/decision on November 7? One day after the presidential election?

It's no secret that at&t is backing up Romney but if Obama wins could that change what at&t says? A win for Romney could mean more preferential treatment for at&t.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

They're not going to shut DSL down

They have no reason to shut cash cows down. The big issue is that lack of upgrades, so that users stuck at 1.5 or 3mbps will be stuck there indefinitely, while the rest of the web grows around them.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

cut loose, then what?

If AT&T cuts off POTS and DSL access-- essentially pulilng out of markets, that must open the way for another carrier to pick up those access points and-- if ncesssary a muni backed carrier takes it's place...

It was obvious in 2006 that AT&T bit off more they can chew with BellSouth.. and they just wanted the core liquidity & assets to squander for the better part of a decade. As deregulatory luck (or bad luck for the consumer) would have it.. AT&T successfully became one of two duopoly legs for wireless due in no small part to the justice dept's lack of a backbone and public policy & credibility on the brink of collapse in 2008.

cfm117
join:2004-02-13
Winnetka, CA

cfm117

Re: cut loose, then what?

Im thinking what they really mean by dumping POTS/DSL, they mean the C.O based equipment like 5E/DMS100 switches and DSLAMs and maybe anything up to the SAI/BBOX, keeping F1 cables pressurized, etc. All that requires lots of money in overhead to maintain. Keep everything RT and VRAD based, along with the last mile. All that pretty much runs itself, except for routine maintenence cases.
Pair Gain
join:2002-12-23
Washington

Pair Gain to tmc8080

to tmc8080
No, with the Bell South purchase, they just wanted full control of Cingular.
TheRogueX
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

TheRogueX

U-Verse

I actually work for AT&T, as a U-Verse Prem Tech, and everything I've heard hints that this year was heavy LTE, but that next year was going to see U-Verse expansion again.

Granted I've not read anything that could be considered solid proof. It's all just hearsay, as far as I'm concerned.
Bob61571
join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

Bob61571

So, AT&T! Don't you want to make $ in Peoria, Illinois?

To whom it may concern at AT&T:

There are thousands of Caterpillar workers that NEED high speed broadband, because they work from home part time(or full time). They work with people in nearly every country in the world, on a 24/7/365 basis.

Caterpillar is a Fortune 50 company, and AT&T is one of its strategic partners. There are hundreds of contacts between both companies' employees every day.

Peoria has 2 major hospitals, and a medical school. Peoria is a center of manufacturing, ethanol production, agriculture, and transportation.

The Peoria IL MSA has 380K people, while the city of Peoria has 116K people.

You haven't invested anything in residential broadband in the Peoria IL market for a decade. Your best speed is 3Mbps down, with good old copper.

You have major fiber lines(that eventually go to various Cat facilities) that go past 10's of thousands of potential residential customers.

Why are you scared to make some residential broadband capex in the Peoria, Illinois market? Are you scared of Comcast?