dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-25 14:27:48: Earlier this month reports emerged that an iPhone bug was causing users to consume excess cellular data when connected to Wi-Fi, causing users to go over their usage limits. At the time all the focus was on Verizon, since they were the only U.S. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

More efficient for whom?

.....but are being told by AT&T that their usage is higher because the iPhone 5 with LTE is "more efficient" ....

Yes, more efficiently draining customer bank accounts

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Exactly Why Capped Plans Suck

Situations like these illustrate perfectly why capped data plans and smartphones simply do not mix. If everyone had unlimited plans like in the old days, the carriers would fix problems like these in record time.

Now, it is just free overage money for them.

Think before you upgrade, and look before you leap.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs

Re: More efficient for whom?

things that are efficient typically use less. lol

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

iOS 6.0.1 supposed to fix recent issues

A patch version of the iOS 6 OS is supposed to be out shortly and is purported to fix some outstanding problems. Maybe this will be addressed then.

»www.gottabemobile.com/20 ··· e-dates/
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge

Premium Member

Why contact Att and not Apple

"I've dropped a line to AT&T to see whether or not they can confirm there's a problem with the AT&T version of the iPhone 5."

AT&T didn't build the iPhone and the fix clearly needs to come from Apple and not them, so shouldn't you try to contact Apple instead?

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

said by Dodge:

AT&T didn't build the iPhone and the fix clearly needs to come from Apple and not them, so shouldn't you try to contact Apple instead?

That would make sense... reverse that line of thought.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

Seems to be on the 4S also

I have noticed my 4S using phantom data over wifi when connected to my mobile hot spot also. It did not do this before iOS 6.

King Boo
@charter.com

King Boo

Anon

No worries thats a feature of iOS 6.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to ilikeme

MVM

to ilikeme
I can pretty much confirm this. The 4s on our data plan with VZW seems to be eating data even when it is on Wi-Fi from time to time. Or, it is disconnecting from Wi-Fi when it doesn't need or have to. The Wi-Fi radio doesn't use much power when it's idle, so I don't see a need to have to shut it off.

wificell
@csiweb.net

wificell

Anon

What ever happened to wifi+cellular

Could be remnants of wifi+cellular option that was in the iOS 6 beta. I've noticed some podcast apps (like iCatcher) have an option to allow simultaneous downloads, up to 3 podcasts at a time, 2 on wifi, one on cellular. so, the coding is there for the iPhone to do multi downloads.

»appleinsider.com/article ··· id=20376
tragik74
join:2012-10-12
Flushing, NY

tragik74

from Apple's point view "there is no problem with iphone or ios"
93388818 (banned)
It's cool, I'm takin it back
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

93388818 (banned) to Dodge

to Dodge

Re: Why contact Att and not Apple

because if Karl had called Apple, nobody would've talked to him
NateCohen
join:2005-10-10
Schenectady, NY

NateCohen

Using it wrong

Haven't you guys heard you're using the phone wrong?

True
@wdc.com

True to ilikeme

Anon

to ilikeme

Re: Seems to be on the 4S also

dito normaly i have about 500 megs since 6 hit i have been a bit over a gig. i have unlimited so its no hurting me.. but it is odd.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to 93388818

Premium Member

to 93388818

said by 93388818:

because if Karl had called Apple, nobody would've talked to him

LMAO!!!! that's fantastic...

Nightmare
@uhc.com

Nightmare to tragik74

Anon

to tragik74

Re: What ever happened to wifi+cellular

Apple: your holding it wrong.. no wait that was the antenna issue. Your holding it wrong... no wait wait... that was the camera with a purple hue... AH! Your wifi doesn't work because your holding it wrong.. there its your fault, not Apples.

Oh and the "bug" is a feature that helps ATT rack up the $$$$$ and make there data tiers so profitable. ATT + APPLE = team work to screw over the blind Isheep

MrMaster
Rum Connoisseur
Premium Member
join:2000-12-16
St Thomas, VI

MrMaster

Premium Member

gain or loss in subscribers

So I see that endadget and bgr show subscriber gains albeit different numbers. BBR shows a loss.

Which is it
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray to pnh102

to pnh102

Re: Exactly Why Capped Plans Suck

said by pnh102:

Situations like these illustrate perfectly why capped data plans and smartphones simply do not mix. If everyone had unlimited plans like in the old days, the carriers would fix problems like these in record time.

Wrong. So wrong.

The carriers have even greater incentive to see this problem fixed than in your good-old-days of unlimited plans. Consumers, especially Cupertino devotees, will be quick to blame the carrier, not the manufacturer, if they get overage charges.

Overage charging is designed to curb conscious use and change habits, not raise revenue. That's why thresholds are set to impact only a very small percentage of customers, and raised from time to time.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

4S and 5.1.1

I guess I am sticking with iOS 5.1.1 longer than I anticipated. I was planning to upgrade once Google released their Google Maps application but if there is still a confirmed WiFi bug, then I might as well wait until 6.0.1 or whatever comes out as a patch.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

1 edit

pnh102 to elray

Premium Member

to elray

said by elray:

The carriers have even greater incentive to see this problem fixed than in your good-old-days of unlimited plans. Consumers, especially Cupertino devotees, will be quick to blame the carrier, not the manufacturer, if they get overage charges.

Except that in the case of some users, they are now paying the price for what is obviously a screwup outside of their control. Whether or not this is a problem with Apple or a given carrier, the customer should not be paying for or having to be inconvenienced by these problems.

Either way, with unlimited data, the user wins, and whatever the cause of the problem is, be it Apple or the carrier, they will have a far greater incentive to fix the problem, since they won't be able to immediately pass the costs of the problem down to the customer.
said by elray:

Overage charging is designed to curb conscious use and change habits, not raise revenue. That's why thresholds are set to impact only a very small percentage of customers, and raised from time to time.

If this is true, then why don't providers like Verizon and AT&T simply shut off or severely throttle the service when the user hits the cap? That would be far more effective in curbing conscious use and not raising revenue.

I will never understand how a company I pay is somehow in a position to tell me that I am to be penalized for using a level of service that they arbitrarily deem to be excessive, and "penalize" me accordingly. Who do they think they are? My mom?

Disclaimer - I currently have one Android phone with an unlimited Verizon plan and I'm still on a contract with them. When that contract runs out, I do not plan to upgrade phones through Verizon, because I do not want to go to a capped plan.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to Dodge

to Dodge

Clearly you've never called Apple. Each mobile provider makes tweeks and customizations to the iphone software and you should call THEM, not Apple. I mean, Apple does no wrong!
jjeffeory

jjeffeory to elray

to elray

Bull$shit!

Utter nonesense! I mean, it doesn't affect me, but your threshold comment is just crap. The guys are in it to make money first and foremost. Social engineering is way down on the list...

The Limit
Premium Member
join:2007-09-25
Denver, CO

The Limit to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList

Re: More efficient for whom?

I wonder how much that dodo who said that using more data is more efficient than using less data is making. I'm tellin ya, if I didn't love what I studied, I'd just go into business admin, say a bunch of stuff, and collect my paycheck. This is why our country is doomed to fail. Lol

Twaddle
@sbcglobal.net

Twaddle to elray

Anon

to elray

How do you figure ?"Overage charging is designed to curb conscious use and change habits, not raise revenue."

What a load of bovine excrement! The carriers want to/will charge you as much as they can for as little data as they have to handle. Their overage charges are a way to add bottom line revenue without any capital investment. Caps and cap overage charges are not there to curb conscious use and change habits because the carriers want their customers to have a warm fuzzy feeling they're there to generate MORE revenue plain and simple. IF every user suddenly minimized their usage, the carriers would still bitch about the amount of data being too high! Why have a "smart phone" if you are PENALIZED for using its features, features that somehow consumes data when not even being used. AT&T should be all over the great "APPLE" if there is indeed a bug as reported by users especially after Verizon had the same issue!
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray to jjeffeory

to jjeffeory
said by jjeffeory:

Bull$shit!

Utter nonesense! I mean, it doesn't affect me, but your threshold comment is just crap. The guys are in it to make money first and foremost. Social engineering is way down on the list...

You fail to understand the basic concept of goodwill.
It costs a lot to earn, but is easily burned.

Cellco would much rather sell you "unlimited" at a higher basic rent and enjoy the consistent, measurable contract income, and the average consumer will gladly pay the higher rate to lose meter-anxiety. But that model simply doesn't work with wireless broadband, where government administration of spectrum and pesky physics get in the way.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to elray

Premium Member

to elray
said by elray:

said by pnh102:

Wrong. So wrong.

LOL.
DataRiker

2 edits

DataRiker to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge

said by Dodge:

"I've dropped a line to AT&T to see whether or not they can confirm there's a problem with the AT&T version of the iPhone 5."

Because you purchased the phone from ATT.

I highly doubt this is an apple issue, and I am almost willing to bet the Canadian users experiencing the same problem have a different branded version of the same crapware that is miscounting for ATT.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray to pnh102

to pnh102

said by pnh102:

said by elray:

Except that in the case of some users, they are now paying the price for what is obviously a screwup outside of their control. Whether or not this is a problem with Apple or a given carrier, the customer should not be paying for or having to be inconvenienced by these problems.

Which is why the carriers have a greater incentive to fix it than they would under "unlimited" plans. The customer has been wronged, won't easily forgive the sting, and doesn't really care who is technically at-fault.
said by pnh102:

said by elray:

If this is true, then why don't providers like Verizon and AT&T simply shut off or severely throttle the service when the user hits the cap? That would be far more effective in curbing conscious use and not raising revenue.

I will never understand how a company I pay is somehow in a position to tell me that I am to be penalized for using a level of service that they arbitrarily deem to be excessive, and "penalize" me accordingly. Who do they think they are? My mom?

Disclaimer - I currently have one Android phone with an unlimited Verizon plan and I'm still on a contract with them. When that contract runs out, I do not plan to upgrade phones through Verizon, because I do not want to go to a capped plan.

The thresholds are admittedly arbitrary - but there has to be some limit established, that can be understood by one and all in 30 seconds, which Mom approves of.

I agree that a better model would involve notification and throttling rather than charging overages. There are carriers who offer that. Clearly, if you don't agree with the terms of your contract, you should not renew.
Lamiel
join:2008-04-05
Saint Johns, MI

Lamiel to elray

to elray
said by elray:

said by jjeffeory:

Bull$shit!

You fail to understand the basic concept of goodwill.
It costs a lot to earn, but is easily burned.

Cellco would much rather sell you "unlimited" at a higher basic rent and enjoy the consistent, measurable contract income, and the average consumer will gladly pay the higher rate to lose meter-anxiety. But that model simply doesn't work with wireless broadband, where government administration of spectrum and pesky physics get in the way.

When you say "pesky physics" I assume you're reffering to the so-called "spectrum crisis", correct? There is no spectrum crisis. There is only a backhaul crisis, brought on by the carriers' reluctance to invest in network improvements. The fact that these carriers openly state that the vast majority of their users consume only a small amount of bandwidth per account is ample evidence of this. If caps were about protecting the network from congestion, throttling the top 2% of smartphone junkies would make far more sense than decreasing available bandwidth and increasing costs for the bulk of their customers. It's all a shell game. Don't be fooled.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

the verizon issue was fixed

Why don't they push out a fix to prioritize IPV4 over IPV6 like they did for verizon?
page: 1 · 2 · next