dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-30 19:32:06: If you've got survival tips, storm photos, or other helpful information please dump them in the comment section below. Stay safe out there! Google's providing a crisis shelter map here that lists shelters and current capacity. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Open Thread During Storm

Of course this assumes power is available to run this site. Didn't the site experience problems a few months ago because of a power outage? I forget the real reasons just that the storage array wasn't happy and through the dust in my brain, the memory looks like something power related.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

11 recommendations

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

And the hurricane said to the coconut tree, "hold onto your nuts, this ain't no ordinary blow job!"
milkman82
join:2006-06-19
Cleveland, OH

milkman82

That's awesome! I busted out laughing!

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to rradina

MVM

to rradina
»docs.google.com/document ··· sle=true

»www.webhostingtalk.com/a ··· 477.html

NAC had better have their sh** in gear, as they do have a history of having power-related issues (power failing, generators not kicking in, or whatever). As someone who did datacenter work for a few years I can assure you lots of things can go wrong, but with a proper checklist in advance it's absolutely possible to make sure nothing goes amiss.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

West Virginia

I'm from the north western part of WV and not much is happening.. YET! for the past couple days all we have been getting is sprinkling (light rainfall) please keep it like this mother nature for my area and many others (if possible) and yes our power here is still on and we do have a back up generator and a full tank of gas that last us till right now all the way till tonight so we're ok.. Everyone stay safe out there and dont go out in the storm.

kapil
The Kapil
join:2000-04-26
Chicago, IL

kapil

Bah.

Hope it's done by Wednesday...I gotta fly to Philly.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

1 recommendation

Wilsdom

Public Information Safety Statement

THINK ABOUT THE RESCUE/RECOVERY TEAMS WHO WILL RECOVER YOUR REMAINS IF YOU DO NOT SURVIVE

WEAR PANTS

mr sean
Professional Infidel

join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia

2 recommendations

mr sean

Please remember...

... Your pets!
They should be eaten first -- before resorting to cannibalism.

Survival etiquette is important.

mikesterr
join:2008-04-18
Sanford, FL

mikesterr to kapil

to kapil

Re: Bah.

Storm should be over, but good luck getting into Philly airport. They take 2 or 3 days to recover from normal thunder storm.
Killersaurus
join:2012-09-17

Killersaurus to mr sean

to mr sean

Re: Please remember...

Also remember that roofing shingles make a good replacement for toilet paper if you find yourself in a pinch.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

panic buying

to hell with black friday, stores are doing great business NOW.. hardware stores and supermarkets are cleaning up.. happens every disaster..

my shopping haul $14.. no panic here

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew to mr sean

Premium Member

to mr sean

said by mr sean:

... Your neighbor's pets!
They should be eaten first -- before resorting to cannibalism.

Survival etiquette is important.

Fixed that for ya

kapil
The Kapil
join:2000-04-26
Chicago, IL

kapil to mikesterr

to mikesterr

Re: Bah.

That's what I was afraid of. Every time I've flown into PHL, I have seen no evidence of competence in the way that airport is run.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner to TwiztedZero

Premium Member

to TwiztedZero

Re: Open Thread During Storm

LOL! Love it!
tired_runner

tired_runner to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080

Re: panic buying

Yup. Hey... It's good for local business

mr sean
Professional Infidel

join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia

mr sean to drew

to drew

Thanks!
Pass the salt?

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

The sea salt grinder is to your left, next to the bottle of Dalwhinnie.

I'm thinking that maybe on the Jones' cat we can try some of that "Jamaica Me Crazy" seasoning.

DAOWAce
join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ

DAOWAce

First hurricane

Going to experience my first real hurricane today. Forecast doesn't show the upper half of my state as being affected by the hurricane force winds, but forecasts can change.. and wind is wind.

I'm more worried about not having a computer for a week. What do I do when my job and my leisure is with the PC and nothing else?!

If I knew about this more than 3 days ago I would've bought a generator; but by the time I found out, 150 people were on the waiting list. /cry

Still, our front tree could very well lose its branches and damage the house (it's right over my room as well, so I have a chance to be killed, especially since my bed is against the front wall), even has a chance to uproot entirely.

Need to try and force myself back to sleep so I can be up during the worst part of the storm.. overnight, in pitch black. Only thing worse than a severe storm is not being able to see what's going on outside when it's happening!

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Statue of Liberty Webcam

Is the storm hitting New York City that bad already? Apparently the Status of Liberty Webcam is down: »24.39.139.182:4080/axis- ··· ideo.cgi

Runs on a cable modem connection, apparently. Maybe the IP of the modem changed, but I was hoping to watch it...

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

For those NOT in the Northeast

Turn off your TV for 3-4 days. There'll be nothing but Sandy coverage for that time. NYC is the center of the universe with the NE surrounding it. Except for LA the rest of us are in fly-over country and don't exist (except for election coverage).
Archangel83
join:2009-11-02

Archangel83

storm

I'm in NE Ohio we had a straight line gust of wind came through and knock our power out for 3 hr's

XANAVirus
Premium Member
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

XANAVirus to diablo18926

Premium Member

to diablo18926

Re: West Virginia

Agreed.

Eastern WV here, and we're also seeing light rainfall. Hopefully that'll be all we'll see (though I feel bad for the people who I know who live in the mountains; they're going to be seeing lots of snow).
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to koitsu

Premium Member

to koitsu

said by koitsu:

NAC had better have their sh** in gear, as they do have a history of having power-related issues (power failing, generators not kicking in, or whatever). As someone who did datacenter work for a few years I can assure you lots of things can go wrong, but with a proper checklist in advance it's absolutely possible to make sure nothing goes amiss.

Until your upstream network providers fail....

XANAVirus
Premium Member
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

XANAVirus to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: For those NOT in the Northeast

Sadly, this is too true.

All I see is coverage of Chicago, New York, Atlanta, Los Angeles when I turn my TV on (except for the local news, but they don't broadcast all the time).

No mention of any other states' big cities - including WV, or even any of the beach cities nowadays.

Unfortunately, this is what bring in the ratings; hearing about big cities during crisis (or at all, in general).

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to ke4pym

MVM

to ke4pym

said by ke4pym:

said by koitsu:

Until your upstream network providers fail....

All of them at once? A "perfect storm" (see what I did there)? It's possible but highly unlikely. That's why you have redundancy -- with carriers the concept is "don't put all your eggs in one basket". Part of that means ensuring you have redundant links that are geographically distributed.

That said, I can't deny situations, for example, where the conglomerate circuit carriers run redundant circuits all through the same physical conduit / in the same fibre bundle (outages.org has tracked this more times than I care to count). This situation was one such example. Naughty naughty...

Digital
As-Salamu Alaykum
Premium Member
join:2000-07-24
Wickliffe, OH

Digital to Archangel83

Premium Member

to Archangel83

Re: storm

I'm over here in Mayfield, power is still good, but it's fairly windy/rainy. We'll see what happens tonight when they said it's supposed to get really bad.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to koitsu

Premium Member

to koitsu

I think an issue here might be the size of the storm, might not be possible for a NOC for any carrier that would service this region to not be hit.

And of course how much priority they get with the power company. I can imagine that data centers are below neighborhoods in importance.
Kearnstd

Kearnstd to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080

Re: panic buying

Supermarkets did well, Going to guess big storms are their black friday. nobody rushes to the Shop Rite for black friday though(they already have a metric ton of food from the day before)

lordfly
join:2000-10-12
Homestead, FL

lordfly

PA data centers

I am checking with our corporate IT guy to see if everyone is doing okay. We have a data center in Horsham, PA.

The earthcam network is mostly still running. It is delightful to see the hordes of people walking around in NY, clueless, waving at the cameras.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to StuartMW

to StuartMW

Re: For those NOT in the Northeast

said by StuartMW:

Turn off your TV for 3-4 days. There'll be nothing but Sandy coverage for that time. NYC is the center of the universe with the NE surrounding it. Except for LA the rest of us are in fly-over country and don't exist (except for election coverage).

I'll remember that there is a Northridge style quake on the west coast..
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next