spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-30 19:32:06: If you've got survival tips, storm photos, or other helpful information please dump them in the comment section below. Stay safe out there! Google's providing a crisis shelter map here that lists shelters and current capacity. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Open Thread During Storm

Of course this assumes power is available to run this site. Didn't the site experience problems a few months ago because of a power outage? I forget the real reasons just that the storage array wasn't happy and through the dust in my brain, the memory looks like something power related.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

11 recommendations

Re: Open Thread During Storm

And the hurricane said to the coconut tree, "hold onto your nuts, this ain't no ordinary blow job!"
milkman82

join:2006-06-19
Lakewood, OH

That's awesome! I busted out laughing!
WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

add me to the laughing list. Thanks
Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
LOL! Love it!

David
hours are m-th 1130-10p central
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:98
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
said by TwiztedZero:

And the hurricane said to the coconut tree, "hold onto your nuts, this ain't no ordinary blow job!"

LMAO!! thanks for that!!!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON

4 recommendations

"What if Gangnam Style was actually a giant rain dance and we brought this hurricane upon ourselves"

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

2 recommendations

said by TwiztedZero:

"What if Gangnam Style was actually a giant rain dance and we brought this hurricane upon ourselves"

Sounds like a South Park episode waiting to happen.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA

1 edit

n/m

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
»docs.google.com/document/d/1kll8···sle=true

»www.webhostingtalk.com/archive/i···477.html

NAC had better have their sh** in gear, as they do have a history of having power-related issues (power failing, generators not kicking in, or whatever). As someone who did datacenter work for a few years I can assure you lots of things can go wrong, but with a proper checklist in advance it's absolutely possible to make sure nothing goes amiss.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.
ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by koitsu:

NAC had better have their sh** in gear, as they do have a history of having power-related issues (power failing, generators not kicking in, or whatever). As someone who did datacenter work for a few years I can assure you lots of things can go wrong, but with a proper checklist in advance it's absolutely possible to make sure nothing goes amiss.

Until your upstream network providers fail....

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

said by ke4pym:

said by koitsu:

Until your upstream network providers fail....

All of them at once? A "perfect storm" (see what I did there)? It's possible but highly unlikely. That's why you have redundancy -- with carriers the concept is "don't put all your eggs in one basket". Part of that means ensuring you have redundant links that are geographically distributed.

That said, I can't deny situations, for example, where the conglomerate circuit carriers run redundant circuits all through the same physical conduit / in the same fibre bundle (outages.org has tracked this more times than I care to count). This situation was one such example. Naughty naughty...
--
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

I think an issue here might be the size of the storm, might not be possible for a NOC for any carrier that would service this region to not be hit.

And of course how much priority they get with the power company. I can imagine that data centers are below neighborhoods in importance.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

You're absolutely right (especially on the latter two points). I didn't think of either of those. Honestly at the datacenter I worked in, we had no additional "pull" with the power company (PG&E) than any other company did (nearby nor 20 miles away). I guess when there's only one company providing power you can tell everyone to sod off equally...?
--
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

I have heard supermarkets have some extra pull. But they have refrigeration, and perishable goods.

Data thankfully does not start to smell funny when the servers are off for a day.
--
ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by Kearnstd:

I have heard supermarkets have some extra pull. But they have refrigeration, and perishable goods.

They don't.

Emergency services are first.
rradina

Chesterfield, MO

1 edit
Large chain stores have crisis response teams that roll generators and potentially wireless/SATCOM networking to the affected stores. (Cash-only business results in a lot of lost sales and today, especially in this economy, it's WAY too risky to do off-line auths.)

ISPs also have generators. The challenge, when is the last time they tested that they can run the data center on them? How much on-site fuel do they have and do they have a plan in place to acquire additional fuel should there be an extended outage.

Of course that's why cloud-based virtualization makes so much sense for critical 7x24 systems. It's bringing down the cost of moving services from the affected data center BEFORE power is lost or flooded or whatever...

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

You should try making that claim about "cloud-based virtualisation" making sense to folks who have found quite the opposite. This was just brought up yesterday on outages-discussion in fact. See thread "Unpleasant discovery":

»puck.nether.net/pipermail/outage···html#596

Please be sure to read all the posts.

You know the phrase I'm sure -- you're only as strong as your weakest link...
--
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

one issue in outage situations is overload of backups when the data is rerouted. Sometimes alternate locations cannot handle the load shunt.
--
rradina

Chesterfield, MO
That thread does not diminish virtualization being a fantastic tool that offers the opportunity to easily remove critical services from the path of a predicted natural disaster. However, like any tool, it can be wielded in ways that are highly successful and in ways that cause unexpected results.

This reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Krusty drank diet shakes to the point where he was morbidly obese. Another episode depicted him covering his body with nicotine patches and frantically searching for an open patch of skin.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
..because we all know Fiber Optic lines carry High Voltage.

I swear I just had a brain aneurysm from just reading that.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

said by Simba7:

..because we all know Fiber Optic lines carry High Voltage.

I swear I just had a brain aneurysm from just reading that.

That's been discussed as well. It might surprise you what some carriers do:

»puck.nether.net/pipermail/outage···576.html

Again, please be sure to read the entire thread in full (only 8 or 9 posts), as it's quite eye-opening.
--

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
said by rradina:

Large chain stores have crisis response teams that roll generators and potentially wireless/SATCOM networking to the affected stores. (Cash-only business results in a lot of lost sales and today, especially in this economy, it's WAY too risky to do off-line auths.)

ISPs also have generators. The challenge, when is the last time they tested that they can run the data center on them? How much on-site fuel do they have and do they have a plan in place to acquire additional fuel should there be an extended outage.

Of course that's why cloud-based virtualization makes so much sense for critical 7x24 systems. It's bringing down the cost of moving services from the affected data center BEFORE power is lost or flooded or whatever...

I know around here that Lowe's has a generator behind their store. I bought my generator there last year during the October snowstorm and they have reduced lighting but their POS systems function normally so they can ring up sales normally. Waited in line two hours and scored a generator. When I went behind the store to load the genny, their generator was running. The Stop & Shop next door also was running on a genny but only enough for the lighting and POS terminals. They had to move the perishable goods to refrigerated trucks so the customers were not allowed to use carts as they were being used to evacuate the perishable goods.

I think Big Y just disposed of their perishables and wrote it off as a business loss.

I just wish there were laws requiring gas stations to have backup power like Florida.
--
Romney-Ryan and Scott Brown are the Right Choice as they are Hope & Change you can count on.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

guess its our old Northeastern ideal, buy the gas before the storm.

Supermarkets here do have generators for POS and Lighting, But most I know will use those for x number of hours and then shut down the store as the generator is costly to run.
--
rradina

Chesterfield, MO
Lowes is different than a supermarket -- they have no perishable merchandise. They don't need a huge generator to operate safety systems and the POS. Although some merchandise is sensitive to cold, it doesn't take much electricity to run the blower motors if they have natural gas heat.

It's also important to consider that network communications will also go down and a suitable backup should be available. That's why the crisis response team should also have a SATCOM or wireless alternative for payment auths.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Verizon Broadban..

said by rradina:

Lowes is different than a supermarket -- they have no perishable merchandise. They don't need a huge generator to operate safety systems and the POS. Although some merchandise is sensitive to cold, it doesn't take much electricity to run the blower motors if they have natural gas heat.

It's also important to consider that network communications will also go down and a suitable backup should be available. That's why the crisis response team should also have a SATCOM or wireless alternative for payment auths.

nevermind
lv66vette

join:2004-07-01
Miami, FL
Parts of South Florida is under a law like you mentioned. The big gas stations have back up generators.
WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

A generator would only help the stations that were not flooded. I would not want to buy gas with salt water in it.
Expand your moderator at work

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA
And for those wondering about NAC, Alex Rubenstein at NAC made a wonderful post this morning to outages@ explaining the summary of their situation out there, including some photos:

»puck.nether.net/pipermail/outage···694.html

Worth reading, and also very impressive (thumbs up). All of us out here on the other coast are thinking of you and hoping for the best!
--

NOCTech75
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA

Looks like they are making some money from the storm.

David
hours are m-th 1130-10p central
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:98
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

1 edit

1 recommendation

Another variation I heard today..

" Hurricane Sandy's campaign is going to be more successful, and more impacting than the Obama or Romney campaigns. She will have created more jobs than Romney could promise or Obama can deliver! So don't forget to vote for Hurricane Sandy this November! "

I liked it when I saw it.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
One of the worst damage cases in NY where a fire started in a flooded area:
»latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2···ew-york/
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/
cfour

join:2007-08-22
Montgomery, AL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

I am just wandering!!! Will the insurance companies do to the victims of Sandy what they have done to the inhabitants of the Gulf? If you can even get insurance there, you can barley afford it. Will the insurances companies refuse to pay for the burned homes because the were first flooded? Or, will they pay in full for total loss due to fire? Just wandering!!

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
»techcrunch.com/2012/10/30/att-ve···for-fix/

Verizon:
The storm surge from Hurricane Sandy has resulted in flooding at several Verizon Central Offices in Lower Manhattan, Queens, and Long Island causing power failures and rendering back-up power systems at these sites inoperable. While these sites are currently on battery power, the inevitable loss of power requires that all equipment at these sites be powered down to prevent damage. Customers that are served by these central offices will experience a loss of all services including FiOS (voice, internet, video), high speed internet, and telephone services. Some customers may experience intermittent busy signals while attempting to dial 311 service for non-emergency calls. Verizon engineers continue to assess the damage at these locations and we will post updates as additional information is available.

AT&T:
As we continue to closely monitor our wireline and wireless networks for service disruptions, we are experiencing some issues in areas heavily impacted by the storm. We are in the initial stages of performing an on-the-ground assessment of our network for damage and crews will be working around the clock to restore service. We are deploying personnel and equipment as soon as it is safe to do so.

Sprint:
Sprint is experiencing service impacts in the states affected by Hurricane Sandy and the concurrent winter weather conditions, particularly in the New York tri-state area, the Washington, DC metro area, Pennsylvania, and parts of New England. These impacts are due to loss of commercial power, flooding, loss of cell site backhaul connections, site access and damaging debris. Weather and safety conditions are still dire in some areas, but our technicians are assessing the damage and servicing sites as they become known to us and as the areas are deemed safe to enter. Given the on-going weather conditions, we cannot provide a specific number of impacted customers, but we ask that they remain patient at this time and exercise caution in the aftermath of the recent events.

T-Mobile:
Severe high winds and weather conditions continue to affect many areas. Due to the impacts of Sandy, T-Mobile customers may be experiencing service disruptions or an inability to access service in some areas, especially those that were hardest hit by the storm. T-Mobile rapid response engineering teams are assessing the situation and we are moving as quickly as possible.

--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

•••••
hceuterpe

join:2011-07-13
LOL! Classic!

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

West Virginia

I'm from the north western part of WV and not much is happening.. YET! for the past couple days all we have been getting is sprinkling (light rainfall) please keep it like this mother nature for my area and many others (if possible) and yes our power here is still on and we do have a back up generator and a full tank of gas that last us till right now all the way till tonight so we're ok.. Everyone stay safe out there and dont go out in the storm.

XANAVirus
Premium
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

Re: West Virginia

Agreed.

Eastern WV here, and we're also seeing light rainfall. Hopefully that'll be all we'll see (though I feel bad for the people who I know who live in the mountains; they're going to be seeing lots of snow).

kapil
The Kapil

join:2000-04-26
Chicago, IL

Bah.

Hope it's done by Wednesday...I gotta fly to Philly.
--
»www.kapilville.com

•••••
Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06

1 recommendation

Public Information Safety Statement

THINK ABOUT THE RESCUE/RECOVERY TEAMS WHO WILL RECOVER YOUR REMAINS IF YOU DO NOT SURVIVE

WEAR PANTS

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia

2 recommendations

Please remember...

... Your pets!
They should be eaten first -- before resorting to cannibalism.

Survival etiquette is important.
--
How you can make the world a Better Place

•••••
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

panic buying

to hell with black friday, stores are doing great business NOW.. hardware stores and supermarkets are cleaning up.. happens every disaster..

my shopping haul $14.. no panic here
Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York

Re: panic buying

Yup. Hey... It's good for local business
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
Supermarkets did well, Going to guess big storms are their black friday. nobody rushes to the Shop Rite for black friday though(they already have a metric ton of food from the day before)
--

DAOWAce

join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ

First hurricane

Going to experience my first real hurricane today. Forecast doesn't show the upper half of my state as being affected by the hurricane force winds, but forecasts can change.. and wind is wind.

I'm more worried about not having a computer for a week. What do I do when my job and my leisure is with the PC and nothing else?!

If I knew about this more than 3 days ago I would've bought a generator; but by the time I found out, 150 people were on the waiting list. /cry

Still, our front tree could very well lose its branches and damage the house (it's right over my room as well, so I have a chance to be killed, especially since my bed is against the front wall), even has a chance to uproot entirely.

Need to try and force myself back to sleep so I can be up during the worst part of the storm.. overnight, in pitch black. Only thing worse than a severe storm is not being able to see what's going on outside when it's happening!
ShellMMG

join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Re: First hurricane

Hope it doesn't hit you too hard! God bless, and stay safe!

We're getting some of Sandy here in Michigan. Gale Wind Warnings have been issued for Lake Huron, and the lower part of that lake is down by three feet. It's cloudy and windy here in the south central area of the L.P. but no rain yet.

That is one BIG storm.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

Statue of Liberty Webcam

Is the storm hitting New York City that bad already? Apparently the Status of Liberty Webcam is down: »24.39.139.182:4080/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi

Runs on a cable modem connection, apparently. Maybe the IP of the modem changed, but I was hoping to watch it...

••••••••

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

For those NOT in the Northeast

Turn off your TV for 3-4 days. There'll be nothing but Sandy coverage for that time. NYC is the center of the universe with the NE surrounding it. Except for LA the rest of us are in fly-over country and don't exist (except for election coverage).
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

••••
Archangel83

join:2009-11-02

storm

I'm in NE Ohio we had a straight line gust of wind came through and knock our power out for 3 hr's

•••

lordfly

join:2000-10-12
Homestead, FL
Reviews:
·SkyNet360

PA data centers

I am checking with our corporate IT guy to see if everyone is doing okay. We have a data center in Horsham, PA.

The earthcam network is mostly still running. It is delightful to see the hordes of people walking around in NY, clueless, waving at the cameras.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Re: PA data centers

NYC the city that never sleeps.

Well hopefully your IT guys are allowed to hit the kill switch and get out if needed. Data is allways backed up and servers are insured, if the shit hits the CPU fan... I hope they say fuckit and get to high ground.
--

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

Re: PA data centers

No shit. That's why most DC's are redundant. Just tell the servers to sync everything while they still can to another DC, preferably one more inland. Then shift everything to that DC and do a massive DC shutdown before power goes or the generators run out of fuel.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON

TSA SEARCH!

I wonder if Sandy will get stopped at the border so the TSA agents can check for weapons & drugs on its way to Southern Ontario tonight once it gets past New York State.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

Re: TSA SEARCH!

Sandy is traveling by air and certainly is holding more than a few ml of water....
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Nac.net

Lets see what happens..

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

Prepared

Prepared for the worst here. I have my generator!
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Power Preparedness Plans

My boss told us all to work from home today, which was nice of him. At the moment in the Boston area this is nothing more than a windy day with some light rain.

I presume it will get worse, in the case, I implement my PP-Plans...

Plan A: Combination of UPS, marine battery + inverter
Plan B: Backup generator
Plan C: Idling car to power 12V chargers for cell phone, laptop and flashlights

In the event of both cable modem and cell network failure, it's Plan E--

Plan E: Run hose from exhaust of car into window... hope that strong winds against exterior of car do not prolong the process

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

1 recommendation

I guess we should have music for Sandy.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxdmw4tJJ1Y

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

Re: I guess we should have music for Sandy.

Bruce Springsteen singing "Sandy":
»www.addictedtovinyl.com/media/bs···andy.mp3

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

stay safe

please stay safe to all who are affected by this storm ,sending prayers out your way
Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Connecticut...

If I'm wrong, I'll post when I'm able to, but I don't think this area will be getting it as bad as they predict. Right now, the wind is pretty strong, but that's nothing new.

Each time a big storm is working its way up the coast, they predict the worst, say we'll be without power for weeks, people go nuts buying supplies, etc.

I've lived in this house since the mid 70s and the longest the power has ever been off was for 4-5 days back in the late 70s when a hurricane went through and they turned the power off to fix the lines.

Last year, after Irene, the power was off for one day while they removed a tree that had fallen on the lines (but hadn't broken them). I'm on a hill, so flooding isn't an issue.

I don't have a generator, but I have batteries for flashlights, lanterns, a small camping stove and several full propane cylinders.

I'm just worried about the wind pulling some (more) of the shingles off my roof. It's old and should be replaced.

•••
chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan

high wind warnings

we're under high wind warnings here in southeast michigan due to sandy for until tuesday 5pm. last time we had high wind warnings back in march we lost power for 3 days and those warnings only lasted 12 hours
ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

1 edit

Live View

Live pictures from my home in Stuarts Draft, VA.

»www.VAJeeps.com/Cam.html
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24

Re: Live View

How often does that update? I see only two images, 20 minutes apart loading up

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

1 recommendation

Re: Live View

The best place to go for webcam's is the state highway departments this is the link to New Jersey's »www.511nj.org/