dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-10-29 14:47:08: While Google cancelled today's press event for the launch of their new Nexus 4 smartphone and Nexus 10 tablet, the company has still announced the technical specifics, launch dates, and prices of the new Android devices. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

Nexus 4: Tmobile is the only carrier?

If so, that is going to be a limiting factor. I know they said it is going to be unlocked, but it would be nice to see what other carriers will allow it.

Otherwise, I love my Google Nexus 7 and the 10 looks very nice.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

any carrier that has gsm with work with these phones. They wont work on sprint or verizon
tennisman94
join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

1 recommendation

tennisman94 to Nightfall

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

If so, that is going to be a limiting factor. I know they said it is going to be unlocked, but it would be nice to see what other carriers will allow it.

The new nexus 4 has a pentaband HSPA+ radio, so it will work on any GSM carrier worldwide. In the US that means AT&T, T-mobile, and associated MVNOs. T-mobile will be the only carrier that subsidizes the new nexus, but you can still pop in an AT&T or MVNO SIM since it's unlocked.

rrm
@tresourcegroup.com

rrm

Anon

re

i am getting the nexus 4... just quit apple
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb

I hope LG isn't the only Nexus.

I hate LG, so I hope the rumours of The Galaxy Nexus 2 are true.. Every LG phone I've had, ends up to be garbage.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

2 recommendations

elefante72 to Nightfall

to Nightfall

Re: Nexus 4: Tmobile is the only carrier?

This is crazy: $350 16GB to apples $650 (no contract) and a phone w/ superior specs. A pure google phone, no carrier lock. Who cares about the DMCA.

This phone w/ work on any GSM carrier and HSPA for most. In the US that is TMO and T (ATT) or ANY of the dozens of prepaid MVNO. Slap this on straighttalk for $45 a month.

The reason why they didn't do LTE:

1. LTE phones run in different frequencies on different carriers. They would have to create a different phone for each carrier and likely kiss some serious a$$.
2. No provider currently allows LTE on MVNO (Sprint coming)
3. Cost, can keep it simple to support
4. The MVNO market is not small anymore, in fact that is where all the growth is happening. The big guys are simply churning product at this time, and slowly killing off phone subsidies. American Movil is almost as big as Tmobile (24 million subs) and that is only one MVNO.
5. Seriously undercut Apple. This shows a rocking phone for almost half the price, and no contract. This is an all out assault to Apples ridiculous margins. Apple puts out subpar stripper ipad mini with a resolution that my $100 china android pad has. I think my days of buying Apple stuff is done....

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat

so memory card slot

It doesn't look like you can plug in your micro SDXC card. Ugh.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

you will never see a nexus phone with micro sd

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat

That would likely be a deal breaker for me and many others.

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to mromero

to mromero
said by mromero:

you will never see a nexus phone with micro sd

... and that, unfortunately is a stupid marketing decision that makes Google no better than Apple from this point of view.
Lamiel
join:2008-04-05
Saint Johns, MI

Lamiel

Reality Check

Google's pricing for their direct-sale Nexus phones (first the Galaxy Nexus and now the Nexus 4) should be a reality check for both the wireless industry and the wireless consumer. While the carriers are selling off contract devices for $600-$700, here's Google offering up high-end smartphones (top-of-class, in fact) at an astonishingly reasonable price point. Just more proof that price-gouging is the name of the game for the Big Four. I can only hope that as more and more people choose to go the MVNO route, the powers that be will see the writing on the wall and return to sanity. A lot to hope for, I know... But hey, I can dream!
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune

Support

So I just have one question. Who do you call when it breaks???

phxmark
What Country Are We Living In?
join:2000-12-27
Glendale, AZ

phxmark

Nice but no SD slot

Why don't they include a SD slot? Is the battery removable?
Lamiel
join:2008-04-05
Saint Johns, MI

Lamiel to koreyb

to koreyb

Re: I hope LG isn't the only Nexus.

said by koreyb:

I hate LG, so I hope the rumours of The Galaxy Nexus 2 are true.. Every LG phone I've had, ends up to be garbage.

Just curious, but when was the last time you had an LG phone? They've really stepped up their game, in my opinion. My wife's Optimus V has been subjected to more abuse than any phone should be able to take, and it keeps on truckin'. More times than I can count, I've seen her drop that thing and watched it fly apart, with the back cover skidding off in one direction and the battery in another; but snap it back together at it's good as new.

Also, one thing I love about LG's Android phones is that the microUSB port is always centered on the bottom edge of the phone - sounds like a little thing, but I find any other configuration to be a huge annoyance when trying to use the phone while it's charging. I wish all the manufacturers would do that.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72

said by elefante72:

The reason why they didn't do LTE:

1. LTE phones run in different frequencies on different carriers. They would have to create a different phone for each carrier and likely kiss some serious a$$.
2. No provider currently allows LTE on MVNO (Sprint coming)
3. Cost, can keep it simple to support
4. The MVNO market is not small anymore, in fact that is where all the growth is happening. The big guys are simply churning product at this time, and slowly killing off phone subsidies. American Movil is almost as big as Tmobile (24 million subs) and that is only one MVNO.
5. Seriously undercut Apple. This shows a rocking phone for almost half the price, and no contract. This is an all out assault to Apples ridiculous margins. Apple puts out subpar stripper ipad mini with a resolution that my $100 china android pad has. I think my days of buying Apple stuff is done....

6. LTE isn't a big deal on an HSPA+ capable carrier.

On my AT&T iPhone 5 I get 5-6mbps on HSPA+, and 10-14mbps when I hit an LTE area. It's better, but not game changing. I usually turn LTE off because I'm told it'll save a little battery.

On my Verizon iPad, it's different story. When I'm on 3G, I'm getting 150-384kbps most of the time, and browsing media heavy sites is the pits. Things improve dramatically when I hit an LTE area, and I would never dream of shutting off Verizon LTE when it's available.

yuppers
@comcast.net

yuppers to Nightfall

Anon

to Nightfall
After the carrier DISASTER that was the Galaxy Nexus T-Mobile may have been the only one to allow Google to be Google. I regret getting my Verizon Wireless Galaxy Nexus due to VZW's meddling.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

1 recommendation

mromero

Premium Member

Re: so memory card slot

»www.androidcentral.com/w ··· -sd-card
mromero

mromero to phxmark

Premium Member

to phxmark

Re: Nice but no SD slot

battery is non removable
mromero

mromero to kitsune

Premium Member

to kitsune

Re: Support

word is google is coming out with a US based support call center.
mromero

mromero

Premium Member

Video from The Verge

here's a video from the verge

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· re=g-u-u
mromero

mromero

Premium Member

Swype is dead
New features in 4.2

Photo Sphere panorama photos
Gesture typing on the keyboard
Lockscreen improvements, including widget support and the ability to swipe directly to camera
Expandable notifications with that let you take actions directly
Message zooming in Gmail with the ability to reflow text automatically
Daydream screensavers
Accessibility improvements: triple-tap to magnify the entire screen, pan and zoom with two fingers. Speech output and Gesture Mode navigation for blind users.
Miracast support for wireless display sharing
Google Now can use Gmail as a data source for new cards,

including improved flight tracker, hotel and restaurant reservations, movie and music recommendations. Photo Spot card recommends interesting places to take photos based on your location.

»www.theverge.com/2012/10 ··· o-sphere

That new pano feature is insane.
marctronixx
join:2003-09-08
Los Angeles, CA

marctronixx

The answer is in the clouds

Google are in the cloud storage business, so I can see the reason as to why they didn't include a storage slot. You need more storage, use their cloud services. Yes it's some CONs to that but perhaps that's their thinking (just a guess).

Example, with the HTC evo 4glte users received 25gb of Dropbox storage free for two years.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to toro

Premium Member

to toro

I don't see the point in using a memory card with all the crazy amounts of cloud storage that I have access to.

NJBoricua75
Born And Raised
join:2000-09-13
Brooklyn, NY

NJBoricua75 to yuppers

to yuppers

said by yuppers :

After the carrier DISASTER that was the Galaxy Nexus T-Mobile may have been the only one to allow Google to be Google. I regret getting my Verizon Wireless Galaxy Nexus due to VZW's meddling.

Not all Verizon's fault. It still has a crappy processor, radio and camera. Those are all Samsungs fault
elefante72
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to djrobx

to djrobx
I would agree HSPA+ is powerful, but LTE is an arms race with these guys. None of these guys is going to pass on this.

In fact I'm moving my wifes prepaid from VM to Straightalk this week (on TMO) because I get like 128kbps on Sprint and my friend is getting 9Mbps sitting in my house. I hear the AT&T sims for ST they shut you off at will.

The CDMA vendors more than anyone else need off. Obviously Verizon has done that, but Sprint is sucking wind.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to ArrayList

to ArrayList

It would still be nice to have that option...

That said, the phone is inexpensive and high-powered, and is compatible with a network that offers unlimited data. Could be a heck of a lot worse.

Me? I'll stick with my 32GB Galaxy SIII with a 64GB microSDXC card. But that's just me.
iansltx

iansltx to mromero

to mromero

Re: Video from The Verge

Okay...I want the GMail zoom thingy. Where's the hacked APK? I want it. Now.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall

No kidding. The reason I avoided iOS initially like the plague was that I couldn't get it on a carrier that had service in my area. Android platform phones had the strength of being on any carrier.

Now I can get an iPhone 5 on a Sprint network, but not a Nexus. Same shoe, other foot.
Thaler

Thaler to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

I don't see the point in using a memory card with all the crazy amounts of cloud storage that I have access to.

Gonna suck hard when you have to access those files on a non-LTE and/or 4G connection. Having dial-up access to gigabytes worth of media files is almost useless.
elefante72
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to phxmark

to phxmark

Re: Nice but no SD slot

Whatever technical reason they give, it's bs. The real reason is lowering cost and raising margin, except for Apple (they make ungodly margin regardless). By selling higher flash, they make better margin. The "stripper" devices are the ones w/ 8/16GB. You just saw Google lower the price of the Nexus 7 to keep in line w/ Apple spec wise. Price wise, it's not even close.

What happened to the 8GB Nexus 7 that I have? That should be $150 I don't have any media on the thing and only have 2GB free. 8GB is just not enough and they know it. A true stripper.

As to the Nexus 7, I don't care because it's wifi, and if I'm not on wifi, I don't use it. If I really need extra storage, I plug in my OTG cable and have 32 GB in an instant. It's not as elegant as sd card, but this is where we have gone. It may seem silly to this bunch, but outside this the technical crew a very small portion of the population even know they have SD in their phone or how to use it. They only know what's quoted on the specs.

In fact the times that I want to use media, is when I'm "off the grid". Planes, away from home, trains. I don't have unlimited data, so by playing my media in the cloud 100% of the time can get expensive.

I read a blog where Google said monolothic storage reduces support calls (which it probably does), so I get it. But they too want everything in the cloud, which is at odds with the carriers who tax you heavily for using the cloud today.

Answer: Use OTG cable or something like the Kensington Wi-drive.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next