dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-01 12:31:45: A UK Judge has ruled that Apple must re-write and more prominently display their apology to Samsung. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to KrK

to KrK

Re: non-apology

It is amazing that people pretend that mp3 players, smart phones, and tablets did not exist before the ipod, iphone, and ipad.
Its like when apple tried to say they invented the word app that we all have used for file sharing over modems since before you could even get internet access.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to RR206

Premium Member

to RR206

Re: hahaha

Apple does not have a lot of bank or firepower outside of the US and China. The US because they can purchase our political systems and China because their products employ so many workers.

What could they do in the UK? threaten to close the Apple stores in the malls?

Certainly isnt like Apple would ever build anything in the western world, Western workers expect things like a reasonable paycheck. that would eat into 300% profit per device.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
It is time that states start exercising the good-behavior clauses in their corporate charter laws. In essence, they are a 'death penalty' for corporate evil doers. I think large fines would be more appropriate in this particular (Apple contempt) case but enforcing the corporate death penalty would likely deter businesses from ignoring environmental, safety, consumer protection, and all the other laws they feel are annoying impediments to their God-given right to earn profits.

No doubt Texas would be executing corporations left and right but I would be Ok with that
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2

Re: Apple is operated by children

said by fiberguy2:

It's not the court's place to order an apology.. talk about childish.

If you said your neighbor tore up your yard, you sue them, and at the end of the case the judge disagrees with your case as presented, would you want the court to make you post a public sign in your yard where you're made to say "I'm sorry I sued my neighbor, he did nothing wrong"... It's not the court's place.. it's a civil court case, not criminal.

The court is way out of line...

In your example, the courts could also dismiss the case "with prejudice" which would not only say you were wrong but you also had to pay the legal fees of the other party.

I would rather apologize then pay the other side's legal fees.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer

Re: hahaha

Maybe it's me, but looks like Apple just removed the link from the site and didn't update it? Anyone else seeing this?

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight to jjeffeory

to jjeffeory

said by jjeffeory:

Haha, I just read what Apple posted. That is NOT an apology!

It's not even a non-apology apology.
PapaMidnight

PapaMidnight to KrK

to KrK
said by KrK:

said by Oh_No:

Apple just loves stealing everyone else's ideas and designs.

... and patenting them, and then suing.

Why innovate when you can litigate?
MySpareBrain
join:2000-06-12
Houston, TX

MySpareBrain to buddahbless

to buddahbless

said by buddahbless:

You can teach children seems you can't teach apple. Microsoft is heaven sent compared to Apple and this non apology.

If I was the UK courts I'd allow Samsung to counter sue ( under some form of defamation of character) for the amounts that were awarded in the US and Germany simply because those damaging remarks were included in there non apology.

Sounds like a job for Super Nanny!
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to 34764170

to 34764170
The doucehbag is dead, but the douchebaggery lives on.
gateguy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-12
Reisterstown, MD

gateguy

Premium Member

Clarification

If the first attempt at an 'apology' was not to the courts liking, I would ask the court for the exact text to use.

Otherwise, the court could continue this forever.

Also interesting, to just be a dick, I would use 72 point font and be very long winded in the apology (72 is at least an 11 point font)

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX to moonpuppy

Premium Member

to moonpuppy

said by moonpuppy:

said by fiberguy2:

It's not the court's place to order an apology.. talk about childish.

If you said your neighbor tore up your yard, you sue them, and at the end of the case the judge disagrees with your case as presented, would you want the court to make you post a public sign in your yard where you're made to say "I'm sorry I sued my neighbor, he did nothing wrong"... It's not the court's place.. it's a civil court case, not criminal.

The court is way out of line...

In your example, the courts could also dismiss the case "with prejudice" which would not only say you were wrong but you also had to pay the legal fees of the other party.

I would rather apologize then pay the other side's legal fees.

Britain is a loser pays system, so Apple does more or less have to pay legal fees.

just like most other countries other then America.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to gateguy

to gateguy

Re: Clarification

The court has better things to do than hassle a company. If Apple had given a true apology, there would be no need for the court to redirect...

Believe me, the courts are busy and have MUCH more pressing matters than addressing the childish BS Apple pulled.
jjeffeory

jjeffeory to PapaMidnight

to PapaMidnight

I agree. Crazy games...

MrWhooHooHoo
@sbcglobal.net

MrWhooHooHoo to gateguy

Anon

to gateguy

You can get away with that kind of childish behaviour if you're a corporation in the US. In Britain it would be regarded [correctly] as a deliberate attempt to show contempt for the court. Up to two years in prison and and an unlimited fine. All they had to do was do what the court ordered and nobody would have paid any attention. Now they look like they're run by five year old kids. Instead they chose to thumb their nose at the court. Smacking may be outlawed in the US, but it's still legal in Britain, at least if you piss off a judge.

pjcamp
@spelman.edu

pjcamp

Anon

The queen's apology

We are sorry you were offended by what we did.
gateguy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-12
Reisterstown, MD

gateguy to MrWhooHooHoo

Premium Member

to MrWhooHooHoo

Then the court should have stated exactly what they wanted.

I would have done the exact minimum per the court decision, meaning

From Apple
Sorry
Samsung did not copy Apple

End from Apple

Not one word more.
gateguy

gateguy to jjeffeory

Premium Member

to jjeffeory
said by jjeffeory:

...true apology...

That's in the eye of the beholder.
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

tanzam75 to BonezX

to BonezX

said by BonezX:

Britain is a loser pays system, so Apple does more or less have to pay legal fees.

The British legal system also does not look kindly upon what are called "vexatious litigants." People who frequently launch meritless lawsuits solely for the harassment value can be denied access to the courts in the future.

The sort of passive-aggressive behavior that American lawyers engage in would get them disbarred in most developed nations. The court system is less clogged up when the lawyers aren't pursuing every technicality to slow down the process. This saves money for the litigants, it saves money for the taxpayer, and it provides better access to justice.
tanzam75

tanzam75 to decifal7

to decifal7

Re: that was?

said by decifal7:

I just read the apology.. Was it an actual apology? I couldn't tell with all the bullcrap

It's the standard "politician's apology."

Not "I apologize for doing wrong to you," but "I regret that you felt were offended." In other words, it's not my fault for doing bad stuff -- it's your fault for objecting to my doing bad stuff.

We hear it on TV all the time, and it's become the standard form of apology in America.

It's a good thing that the British haven't changed the meaning of the word "apology." An apology means nothing if it's twisted like that.
tanzam75

tanzam75 to MrWhooHooHoo

to MrWhooHooHoo

said by MrWhooHooHoo :

You can get away with that kind of childish behaviour if you're a corporation in the US. In Britain it would be regarded [correctly] as a deliberate attempt to show contempt for the court. Up to two years in prison and and an unlimited fine. All they had to do was do what the court ordered and nobody would have paid any attention. Now they look like they're run by five year old kids. Instead they chose to thumb their nose at the court. Smacking may be outlawed in the US, but it's still legal in Britain, at least if you piss off a judge.

Indeed.

British law tends to put more emphasis on the spirit of the law, rather than the exact wording. You simply cannot get away with the sort of childish games that American lawyers play.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to tanzam75

to tanzam75

said by tanzam75:

said by BonezX:

The sort of passive-aggressive behavior that American lawyers engage in would get them disbarred in most developed nations. The court system is less clogged up when the lawyers aren't pursuing every technicality to slow down the process. This saves money for the litigants, it saves money for the taxpayer, and it provides better access to justice.

Care to elaborate?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5 to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList

Apple posts NEW apology in UK

»news.cnet.com/8301-13579 ··· 1_3-0-20

Here is what the apology says:

On 9th July 2012 the High Court of Justice of England and Wales ruled that Samsung Electronic (UK) Limited's Galaxy Tablet Computer, namely the Galaxy Tab 10.1, Tab 8.9 and Tab 7.7 do not infringe Apple's registered design No. 0000181607-0001. A copy of the full judgment of the High court is available on the following link www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Patents/2012/1882.html. That Judgment has effect throughout the European Union and was upheld by the Court of Appeal on 18 October 2012. A copy of the Court of Appeal's judgment is available on the following link www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2012/1339.html. There is no injunction in respect of the registered design in force anywhere in Europe.

Doesn't sound like an apology to me. Just that they lost a court case.

CdnPedant
@bell.ca

CdnPedant

Anon

Still Nothing

I find it interesting that not even the older, childish "non-apology" is gone, but has not been replaced with anything of substance. There is a link at the bottom of the Apple's UK home page, but it only seems to refer to two court documents. There is nothing resembling an apology and that does nothing to repair the harm done to Samsung. Surely Apple doesn't expect the average consumer to go through all of that "legalese" to figure out that that message is supposed to pass for an apology.

As I understand it, the order also said that it should be prominently displayed. Having to scroll down to the bottom of the page, even on a 1920x1200 display, cannot be called "prominently displayed", not even if you're Phil Schiller or an Apple lawyer. The order should have instructed them to move the iPad mini nonsense down and put the link first. That would be prominently displayed.

I don't think Samsung is altogether innocent, but Apple should not be allowed to get away with this sort of nonsense, particularly what they have been trying to do in U.S. courts.

Mark my words, if they don't change soon, Apple's own arrogance will ultimately be their undoing.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: Apple posts NEW apology in UK

it also isn't very prominent.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Doesn't sound like an apology to me. Just that they lost a court case.

I don't think Apple knows how to apologize.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3