dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-01 12:31:45: A UK Judge has ruled that Apple must re-write and more prominently display their apology to Samsung. ..

boogi man
join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man

non-apology

seems like a typical court ordered apology by someone who doesn't agree with the court.

lol
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN

Chubbysumo

Re: non-apology

Go read the original(which is still up). Its not even close to an apology, and actually cites other countries rulings saying samsung infringed.

AnonPerson
join:2000-08-26
Lexington, KY

AnonPerson

I got a laugh out of it.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

Haha, I just read what Apple posted. That is NOT an apology!

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight

said by jjeffeory:

Haha, I just read what Apple posted. That is NOT an apology!

It's not even a non-apology apology.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

I agree. Crazy games...

boogi man
join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo
reread what i said...

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

1 edit

Oh_No to boogi man

to boogi man
LOL Apple is so technology illiterate it takes them 2 weeks to figure out to change something on their website.

Apple is a horrible company.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Quite honestly, the day that a court orders someone to appologize for suing another company is a sad day in this world. Regardless of what side you cheer on, the fact remains that what this UK court is doing is a HORRIBLE thing for the legal system.

The court ordering apple to "appologize" for accusing Samsung of copying apple, as the court ruled they didn't, is about the same as a dad putting his kid on a street corner with a sign saying "I cheated on my math test"... it's childish and completely un-becoming of a court. The judge that ordered this silly non-sense should be removed from the bench.

Samsung clearly is going after the look and feel of apple.. one just has to look at their latest laptop/tab.. the look and design is exactly of the MacBook Pro.

On the case of the pad, I think the case was valid and apple had every right to challenge it in court.. I think Samsung did no wrong on this, really, as you can't do much with a pad when it's just a rectangular screen. (Laptops are a different story) But, a "court" shouldn't decide infringement in these cases.. there should be a separate body that first has to determine if there is cause for a case or not.. courts are not always the best place to have the argument.. it's where you go to get paid for what was wrongfully done. Up until the point of the court case there was nothing established that Samsung did in fact violate apple's rights.

And news flash people, if you think these companies, on either side, are all innocent and don't push the envelops on their competitor's rights, then you're bigger idiots than I thought.. they all do it. To sit here and say one side is a saint or the other is a horrible company only makes you look like an idiot with nothing worth saying in the first place.

The fact is that like them or hate them, everyone is always using the term "apple killer" , "iPhone killer" or "iPad killer".. that in itself says a lot..

n1581j
@wildblue.net

n1581j

Anon

If anybody copied anyone it was Apple using a product developed by SAMSUNG in 1993 from an idea by Grid and marketed by Grid. All Apple has done is condense the size of the idea which was only natural baring in mind developments in technology and software over the intervening years. They even stole the name. PAD. I sold that product before the IPad became Steve Job's wet dream. That was way back when. So NO, Samsung did not copy and it's lawyers should of known this but unfortunately they were still in school and dreaming of cheer leaders at the time

Davesworld
join:2007-10-30
Thermal, CA

Davesworld

said by n1581j :

If anybody copied anyone it was Apple using a product developed by SAMSUNG in 1993 from an idea by Grid and marketed by Grid. All Apple has done is condense the size of the idea which was only natural baring in mind developments in technology and software over the intervening years. They even stole the name. PAD. I sold that product before the IPad became Steve Job's wet dream. That was way back when. So NO, Samsung did not copy and it's lawyers should of known this but unfortunately they were still in school and dreaming of cheer leaders at the time

Were they at least smokin' hot?

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

Oh_No to n1581j

to n1581j
Actually the GRiDPAD was made by samsung in 1989.
It ran MS-DOS with a custom extension to use the stylus/touch screen.
It also had a serial port and memory cards so it was more advanced than the ipad even back in 1989.
A police department in California used them.

The guy who invented the GRiDPAD went on to invent the palm pilot which Apple also copied for the iphone.

Apple just loves stealing everyone else's ideas and designs.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

said by Oh_No:

... and patenting them, and then suing.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
Chicago, IL

Oh_No

It is amazing that people pretend that mp3 players, smart phones, and tablets did not exist before the ipod, iphone, and ipad.
Its like when apple tried to say they invented the word app that we all have used for file sharing over modems since before you could even get internet access.

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight to KrK

to KrK
said by KrK:

said by Oh_No:

... and patenting them, and then suing.

Why innovate when you can litigate?

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

Quite honestly, the day that a court orders someone to appologize for suing another company is a sad day in this world. Regardless of what side you cheer on, the fact remains that what this UK court is doing is a HORRIBLE thing for the legal system.

The court ordering apple to "appologize" for accusing Samsung of copying apple, as the court ruled they didn't, is about the same as a dad putting his kid on a street corner with a sign saying "I cheated on my math test"... it's childish and completely un-becoming of a court. The judge that ordered this silly non-sense should be removed from the bench.

Samsung clearly is going after the look and feel of apple.. one just has to look at their latest laptop/tab.. the look and design is exactly of the MacBook Pro.

On the case of the pad, I think the case was valid and apple had every right to challenge it in court.. I think Samsung did no wrong on this, really, as you can't do much with a pad when it's just a rectangular screen. (Laptops are a different story) But, a "court" shouldn't decide infringement in these cases.. there should be a separate body that first has to determine if there is cause for a case or not.. courts are not always the best place to have the argument.. it's where you go to get paid for what was wrongfully done. Up until the point of the court case there was nothing established that Samsung did in fact violate apple's rights.

And news flash people, if you think these companies, on either side, are all innocent and don't push the envelops on their competitor's rights, then you're bigger idiots than I thought.. they all do it. To sit here and say one side is a saint or the other is a horrible company only makes you look like an idiot with nothing worth saying in the first place.

The fact is that like them or hate them, everyone is always using the term "apple killer" , "iPhone killer" or "iPad killer".. that in itself says a lot..

Patent trolling is what is horrible for our legal system.
I wish in the US they would do this instead of that wacky texas court that always sides with patent trolls.

What this Uk court is great as Apple's lawsuit was frivioulus and they should be punished.

To accuse someone of stealing your idea to force them to spend money and time on litigation is wrong when you 100% know they did not steal your idea.
Apple should be paying samsung back for all the money they spent dealing with them.

Apple's Ipad looks exactly like Samsungs picture frame that was out on the market in 2006. Yes Samsung's device only displayed pictures but they clearly had the design first and Apple copied them.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
You could make a pad round, like a Frisbee. The first TV screens were round, because that was the shape of the tube. Round is a shape. I shouldn't use the word "Frisbee" to describe it, I guess, that being a trademark.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
Yes, companies use the term ipad killer...

Just like years ago when people used the term 'playstation killer', or 'nintendo killer', or 'IBM killer', or 'doom killer'.

As usual the bulk of Apple fanboys act like they've never shopped anywhere but apple stores
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

said by Metatron2008:

As usual the bulk of Apple fanboys act like they've never shopped anywhere but apple stores

I'd bet at least 1/2 of them haven't
Expand your moderator at work

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

Apple is operated by children

I swear, Apple is operated by a bunch of children. "Why should I apologize when I think I did nothing wrong?"

..not to mention Apple's piss-poor attempt at an apology. Wow.

I guess Apple's too good to actually admit that they were wrong.. on several occasions.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

Re: Apple is operated by children

As a company they act like a total bunch of douchebags. Considerably worse than Microsoft at their worst.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless

You can teach children seems you can't teach apple. Microsoft is heaven sent compared to Apple and this non apology.

If I was the UK courts I'd allow Samsung to counter sue ( under some form of defamation of character) for the amounts that were awarded in the US and Germany simply because those damaging remarks were included in there non apology.
MySpareBrain
join:2000-06-12
Houston, TX

MySpareBrain

said by buddahbless:

You can teach children seems you can't teach apple. Microsoft is heaven sent compared to Apple and this non apology.

If I was the UK courts I'd allow Samsung to counter sue ( under some form of defamation of character) for the amounts that were awarded in the US and Germany simply because those damaging remarks were included in there non apology.

Sounds like a job for Super Nanny!

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
As a duly designated representative of the city, county and state of New York, I hereby order to return forthwith to your place of origin or to the nearest parallel dimension.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to 34764170

to 34764170
The doucehbag is dead, but the douchebaggery lives on.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven
said by SimbaSeven:

I swear, Apple is operated by a bunch of children. "Why should I apologize when I think I did nothing wrong?"

I guess Apple's too good to actually admit that they were wrong.. on several occasions.

They weren't ordered to apologize they were ordered to publicly note that Samsung didn't violate that patent - and they did, and the wording used was the court's own.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

1 edit

Veloslave

Premium Member

said by Count Zero:

said by SimbaSeven:

They weren't ordered to apologize they were ordered to publicly note that Samsung didn't violate that patent - and they did, and the wording used was the court's own.

lulz..You sound like apple...

We did NOT get biatch slapped... so neener neener neener

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

And you sound ignorant stating Apple was supposed to "apologize"

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
Chicago, IL

Oh_No

LOL. A corrective statement is an apology.

Apple is bad and you should feel bad.

•••
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven
It's not the court's place to order an apology.. talk about childish.

If you said your neighbor tore up your yard, you sue them, and at the end of the case the judge disagrees with your case as presented, would you want the court to make you post a public sign in your yard where you're made to say "I'm sorry I sued my neighbor, he did nothing wrong"... It's not the court's place.. it's a civil court case, not criminal.

The court is way out of line...

•••••

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

hahaha

Apple lawyers tried to argue that it would be impossible to update the apology in any less than two weeks

Judge needs to tell Apple to STFU and play ball.

•••••••••••••••••••
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

1 recommendation

decifal7

that was?

I just read the apology.. Was it an actual apology? I couldn't tell with all the bullcrap

••••

billI
@adelphia.net

billI

Anon

new Apology

I would say you have 48 hours to write a new Apology, or Samsung will write one for you.
m60521
join:2001-12-28
Hinsdale, IL

m60521

I had to search for the link even though I knew it was there

I think a jail sentence for contempt of court would be appropriate.

That was definitely NOT an apology. Put someone from Apple in a prison cell with "no rounded corners!"

AnonPerson
join:2000-08-26
Lexington, KY

AnonPerson

Re: I had to search for the link even though I knew it was there

Who goes to jail? "Apple"? The web developer that posted the message? The CEO?
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13

Re: I had to search for the link even though I knew it was there

How about all of them!

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Contempt of Court?

Didn't the original ruling say that Apple had to put the text on its homepage? I'm surprised they weren't cited for contempt.

CptSpaulding
join:2009-07-21
Cincinnati, OH

CptSpaulding

Apology?

It took me a minute to figure out that was the apology. I thought I clicked the wrong link.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

The apology says a german court ruled in Apples favor.

Where? All I can find is that the german courts ruled in samsungs favor:

»www.engadget.com/2012/09 ··· -patent/

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

1 recommendation

buddahbless

Re: The apology says a german court ruled in Apples favor.

good find.. I know there was something wrong when I read win in Germany... Apple left this part out....

"On September 9, 2011, the German court ruled in favor of Apple, with a sales ban on the Galaxy Tab 10.1.The court found that Samsung had infringed Apple's patents. Presiding judge Johanna Brueckner-Hoffmann said there was a "clear impression of similarity". Samsung would appeal the decision.
HOWEVER....
In March 2012, the Mannheim state court judges dismissed both the Apple and Samsung cases..."

If I was the UK courts I'd allow Samsung to counter sue ( under some form of defamation of character) for the amounts that were awarded in the US and Germany simply because those damaging remarks were included in there non apolog

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap

Premium Member

2012: the year familiar Apple products started looking ugly

The devices have begun to physically slough off a film of entitlement & exceptionalism germs that make me feel like I need to bathe after handling.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

1 recommendation

WHT

They lost the home page URL

Something about Apple Maps, they said.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I saw this

And I too thought they did not really care about putting it on the website, they still tried to take pop shots and pointed out that the iphone was "cool" and the Samsung was not from what the judge said.

Apple is making themselves look very childish

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

judge should have fined them..

1/2 their U.S. stock price and shares. I guarantee that would shut them up real quick and that apology would be much more apparent. Apple would have had to explain that to their investors.
gateguy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-12
Reisterstown, MD

gateguy

Premium Member

Clarification

If the first attempt at an 'apology' was not to the courts liking, I would ask the court for the exact text to use.

Otherwise, the court could continue this forever.

Also interesting, to just be a dick, I would use 72 point font and be very long winded in the apology (72 is at least an 11 point font)

•••••

pjcamp
@spelman.edu

pjcamp

Anon

The queen's apology

We are sorry you were offended by what we did.

CdnPedant
@bell.ca

CdnPedant

Anon

Still Nothing

I find it interesting that not even the older, childish "non-apology" is gone, but has not been replaced with anything of substance. There is a link at the bottom of the Apple's UK home page, but it only seems to refer to two court documents. There is nothing resembling an apology and that does nothing to repair the harm done to Samsung. Surely Apple doesn't expect the average consumer to go through all of that "legalese" to figure out that that message is supposed to pass for an apology.

As I understand it, the order also said that it should be prominently displayed. Having to scroll down to the bottom of the page, even on a 1920x1200 display, cannot be called "prominently displayed", not even if you're Phil Schiller or an Apple lawyer. The order should have instructed them to move the iPad mini nonsense down and put the link first. That would be prominently displayed.

I don't think Samsung is altogether innocent, but Apple should not be allowed to get away with this sort of nonsense, particularly what they have been trying to do in U.S. courts.

Mark my words, if they don't change soon, Apple's own arrogance will ultimately be their undoing.