dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-01 14:38:47: AT&T has jumped into the online storage market this week with a new service that allows users to store video and photos in the cloud using their mobile device. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

Intersting

why not just get google drive for 10$

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

1 recommendation

buddahbless

Lets see, 5GB free storage, 2GB data cap ?

WIN FOR AT&T, FAIL FOR THE CONSUMER....

This may help the average joe (consumer) notice just how there being blindsided by ATT's data caps and overages.

Unless ATT allows you unlimited usage and streaming from there cloud and it not count against your data package... LOL let me stop dreaming.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

It'll become bloatware

I guarantee you that AT&T will include this app on all new Android devices they sell, and there won't be any way to uninstall it. And while the folks who know about cloud storage will use their service of choice, this will draw in the folks who don't know any better. And really, it doesn't appear that much worse than what's out there, so, when it's on every Android phone AT&T sells, it'll get customers just fine.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

focus

AT&T has ADHD.. cannot stay focused on core business.
ihatedslr
join:2000-12-11
US

ihatedslr

why?

why does every news post have to include a response about data caps? let it go people, relax...

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Because caps are garbage.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to buddahbless

MVM

to buddahbless

Re: Lets see, 5GB free storage, 2GB data cap ?

said by buddahbless:

WIN FOR AT&T, FAIL FOR THE CONSUMER....

This may help the average joe (consumer) notice just how there being blindsided by ATT's data caps and overages.

Unless ATT allows you unlimited usage and streaming from there cloud and it not count against your data package... LOL let me stop dreaming.

I didn't see a data cap. Please link to your source.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

I believe he is referring to your smartphone data plan.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless to Nightfall

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

Note I said Unless, However at the end of the press release read the fine print...

(AT&T Locker
Requires compatible iPhone 3GS or higher or Android 2.1 or higher smartphone, or internet access from computer. You must enable the Easy Upload feature in order for your content to be automatically uploaded to the AT&T cloud.

"""" Download and usage from wireless device may consume data.""""

Service intended for US based customers only. For terms, see att.com/wirelesslegal. )

Now Theres no mention that this will NOT count against your data it only mention that it MAY consume data. In those worded terms on there wireless network and not over wifi I speculate it will count.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to ptrowski

MVM

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

I believe he is referring to your smartphone data plan.

I was looking at this as another Dropbox like application.
Nightfall

Nightfall to buddahbless

MVM

to buddahbless
said by buddahbless:

said by Nightfall:

Note I said Unless, However at the end of the press release read the fine print...

(AT&T Locker
Requires compatible iPhone 3GS or higher or Android 2.1 or higher smartphone, or internet access from computer. You must enable the Easy Upload feature in order for your content to be automatically uploaded to the AT&T cloud.

Service intended for US based customers only. For terms, see att.com/wirelesslegal. )

Now Theres no mention that this will NOT count against your data it only mention that it MAY consume data. In those worded terms on there wireless network and not over wifi I speculate it will count.

First off, its like Dropbox. I would speculate you are correct, but AT&T has been known to not count data that is used on AT&T services against the cap. I guess we will see how it all pans out.

For 5gb of free storage, this could be a good alternative to Dropbox or Sugarsync or Google Drive.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to ihatedslr

to ihatedslr

Re: why?

Feel free to pay my data overages. What is your address? I need to know where to send the invoice.
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

8744675 to JigglyWiggly

to JigglyWiggly

Re: Intersting

Even more interesting is that it only costs 13 cents per GB to store data indefinitely, which consumes resources as long as it's stored, but it costs $10 a GB to transmit it there, which only uses resources momentarily during transmission.

Doesn't make sense. I bet the FCC will become very interested if they don't count that data against your cap.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to ihatedslr

Premium Member

to ihatedslr

nice try, AT&T
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to ihatedslr

Premium Member

to ihatedslr
said by ihatedslr:

why does every news post have to include a response about data caps? let it go people, relax...

Jeff, you're absolutely right. Not every post has to keep festering what everyone knows. That's actually known as Trolling, but around here BBR calls that acceptable-trolling. It's off topic and serves no purpose to the topics at hand to constantly flame the threads with cap related posts.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

Mike to ihatedslr

Mod

to ihatedslr
Look at all these angry telco employees....
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Well it only makes sense....

Put a limit on how much data people can use before you start charging them for more data and then start rolling out services that use up lots of data. Anyone else see this coming?

Next thing to happen is for them to have a deal with all the big movie companies so you can see the latest just released movies through your mobile carrier for a buck!
Skippy25

Skippy25 to buddahbless

to buddahbless

said by buddahbless:

What exactly do they mean by "may consume data"?

Is there ever a time that you pass packets back and forth that it does not consume data?

Why do they not simply say Download and usage from wireless device WILL consume data?

Stating "MAY" is 100% false, stating "WILL" is 100% true.

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium Member
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA

aztecnology

Premium Member

said by Skippy25:

said by buddahbless:

What exactly do they mean by "may consume data"?

Is there ever a time that you pass packets back and forth that it does not consume data?

Why do they not simply say Download and usage from wireless device WILL consume data?

Stating "MAY" is 100% false, stating "WILL" is 100% true.

If I connect from my phone via WiFi or from my computer, how much data will I consume...?

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2

by not talking about it, people learn to just accept it. not exactly a good thing to do.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by ArrayList:

by not talking about it, people learn to just accept it. not exactly a good thing to do.

So you feel compelled to CONSTANTLY drive that point home in every single topic or thread? ... or do you just feel that people are too stupid or beneath you that they don't remember something unless you tell them every day. So again, what's the point?

There are threads where it's appropriate. Why not just change the name of the site to broadbandcaps.com? EVERYTHING that has to do with internet is subject to caps.. there's no need to bring it up on everything that's discussed. It gets to the point of whiny..
fiberguy2

fiberguy2 to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

Look at all these angry telco employees....

Look at all these ASSumers... and you're a mod? wow. Brilliant!

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska to aztecnology

Premium Member

to aztecnology

Depends, if you have at&t dsl or uverse, you still have the possibility of getting charged! lol! They got this down pat!
podstolom
join:2010-01-25
Wichita, KS

podstolom to Skippy25

to Skippy25

Re: Well it only makes sense....

said by Skippy25:

Next thing to happen is for them to have a deal with all the big movie companies so you can see the latest just released movies through your mobile carrier for a buck!

*Viewing of this movie may consume data.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to 8744675

Premium Member

to 8744675

Great point.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to ihatedslr

to ihatedslr

said by ihatedslr:

Because caps are low and over priced.. Sorry, but we don't all make 100k+ a year, and all have access to land based broadband... I know if your house floods you just jump in your helicopter and fly to one of your others, but the rest of us have to stay and try to stay afloat...

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

said by ArrayList:

So you feel compelled to CONSTANTLY drive that point home in every single topic or thread? ... or do you just feel that people are too stupid or beneath you that they don't remember something unless you tell them every day. So again, what's the point?

Well, obviously it is just to piss you off. /s

But seriously, it is so that the discussion doesn't end. I don't post about it in every thread. I only post about it when it is appropriate. This is one of those threads.

EVERYTHING that has to do with internet is subject to caps..

I firmly disagree. Usage caps serve no real purpose in maintaining infrastructure.

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA

Premium Member

Works well on my iPhone but ...

Even though it has music folders (Skydrive has document or photo folders) you can, like Skydrive, only play songs one at a time rather than all of those in a single folder. However, it is another 5GB for free so I won't complain about it.

One more thing, if YouTube can allow you to make playlists then the first out of the gate with this will definitely have an advantage.

BTW: I don't know about Google Play as Google can't upload from a browser (special non-W2K program needed) while AT&T & MS let me use the Fox (FireFox that is).

All IMHO so YMMV
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

AT&T Cloud vs. Megaupload

How is AT&T going to police the content users upload? Oh, you mean they aren't except to take down stuff 'on notice'?

How'd that work out before????

I wonder when the DOJ will raid AT&T, seize their servers, hold everyone's data hostage, freeze A&T's bank accounts, and prosecute the Chairman, CEO, and President?

What's good for the goose .........

But it'll be, "They may be sons of bitches, but they're 'our' sons of bitches", so nothing will be done. Kim Dotcom take note.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to JigglyWiggly

to JigglyWiggly

Or just setup a shared drive at your home internet connection, then you have actual privacy for your data.
The workers for these online storage companies must have hours of fun go through files of their customers.

As for google drive and other online storage, I lol.
Very expensive yearly prices.
Google is $120 a year for 200GB. That is more than what XM radio costs.

I could see like $10 a year, but $10 a month is crazy.
page: 1 · 2 · next