dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-05 10:18:23: [user=whfsdude] is one of the first we've seen in our forums to order Comcast's new 305 Mbps downstream, 65 Mbps upstream service tier --- and is sharing his install experience in our forums. ..

Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

Less than $1/mbit....

.... which is a very great deal for an effectively dedicated connection, presuming they have enough back-haul to support it. My employer pays many times that per mbit/s for a MAE connection from Time Warner. Heck, a residential DSL/DOCSIS connection costs more per mbit/s, and that's not dedicated.

Can't say I'd drop the coin on it, but it's an impressive product nonetheless. I wonder if you can get it with a fixed IP even though it's a residential product? Bonus points if they'll let you adjust the PTR record to your own domain, and don't block any ports.

depster
join:2001-06-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

depster

Re: Less than $1/mbit....

said by Crookshanks:

.... which is a very great deal for an effectively dedicated connection, presuming they have enough back-haul to support it.

I would stop short of calling this a dedicated connection, and it should not be compared to your employers dedicated business connection.

My understanding of terminology is that a "dedicated connection" allocates you a CDR (committed data rate) directly to the providers POP (point of presence), where the data is off-loaded to other providers.

I don't believe Comcast is providing a guarantee or CDR under this residential grade service. While speeds may reach the stated maximum, bandwidth is still shared between users out of the same CMTS/head-end
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

Crookshanks

Re: Less than $1/mbit....

There is no CMTS here, it's essentially their metro area ethernet product. It isn't dedicated in the sense that you get an SLR/CDR, but I would wager that the only bottleneck on such a connection is the ability of Comcast's peering partners to move enough bits to peg the connection.

My employer doesn't even get a CDR to the internet, it's only dedicated to the edges of Time Warner's network, which is all any provider can promise.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to depster

Premium Member

to depster
said by depster:

I don't believe Comcast is providing a guarantee or CDR under this residential grade service. While speeds may reach the stated maximum, bandwidth is still shared between users out of the same CMTS/head-end

Correct. It doesn't come with a CDR or SLA. However, it does use their MetroE infrastructure.
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31 to depster

to depster
Thank you for explaining the acronyms. Wish more would do that

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

3 recommendations

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

inevitable...

couldn't resist...
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

Re: inevitable...

Haha! Too funny! Thanks for that!

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH to fuziwuzi

Premium Member

to fuziwuzi
LOL. Good one. Everyone in those commercials has so much ANGST on their faces it was doomed to become a meme.
TexasRebel
join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel

I like this one better.. It's soon to be a reality...
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by TexasRebel:

I like this one better.. It's soon to be a reality...

Well your governor and state legislature must not be doing their job very well then.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS

Premium Member

They're doing quite well, at least from what I have noticed
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Cheaper, but no power back up.

Is your hurricane weather proof and can withstand tornado's and hurricanes? It cost more for co-location because they have back up solutions which prevents a lot more down time.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

Re: Cheaper, but no power back up.

If its fiber fed, it might work in a hurricane. Our MetroE worked in a county wide powe routage. The NOC had power and my server room has generator so the internet was up. Most of my clients weren't..but I was

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

Fiber does work during an outage (assuming the distribution source has power). Some people I know have been without power for a week. They have a generator and are able to watch their FIOS TV and use the Internet.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop to brianiscool

to brianiscool
That's provided the Colo decides to put their fuel pumps above the flood plane.

pfftpower
@qwest.net

pfftpower

Anon

Also provided the Colo has tested their APS and Generators recently(down 8 hours recently due to this failure).
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

You try keeping a power hungry data server running with no power for a month or two.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
LOL. Cheap shot but true.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

1 recommendation

elray

Steep, Hefty, Really?

A $1K ETF on a $320/month 3-year contract is very reasonable.

whfsdude
Premium Member
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

Re: Steep, Hefty, Really?

said by elray:

A $1K ETF on a $320/month 3-year contract is very reasonable.

The CPE rental is also extremely reasonable given the hardware.

cast sucks
@dsl.net

cast sucks

Anon

what is the download cap?? and cost pre gb over that?

whfsdude
Premium Member
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

Re: what is the download cap?? and cost pre gb over that?

said by cast sucks :

None. Extreme 305/65 is an uncapped tier.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

Re: what is the download cap?? and cost pre gb over that?

said by whfsdude:

None. Extreme 305/65 is an uncapped tier.

For now...
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

2 recommendations

Rojo31

One more

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt

Premium Member

Isn't the user in DC??

I thought FiOS was in DC now?

whfsdude
Premium Member
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

Re: Isn't the user in DC??

said by aaronwt:

I thought FiOS was in DC now?

Most neighborhoods, yes. I've been told at least another year for my neighborhood even though they recently added all the conduit.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

Re: Isn't the user in DC??

Haven't seen it offered in Dupont Circle or West End area...

It's very hit or miss, mostly miss right now in DC, but they "
have a plan"
greg925
join:2010-12-23

greg925

Speed is good but $$$ ?

I think Comcast is getting ready for next gen when talking about that kind of speeds but still they have long ways to go when it comes down to pricing. I personally think even at 305mbps at $320 a month is way too much for a internet connection, Yes maybe $175 or $200 but anything beyond that is way too expensive. This is more than a avg car payment lol. Look at Google or sonic.net giving 1gbps at $70 anyhow that is like a steal deal. I do not expect that from Comcast but still they should price things a bit better. Also there is a internet provider known as paxio even they give there 1gbps for $245 a month and there 100/100 is $94.50 a month. If in future Comcast want to stay in internet business they need to bring those prices down dramatically.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D

MVM

Re: Speed is good but $$$ ?

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcast

"Comcast's Internet service has 18.582 million customers as of March 30, 2012"

I don't think they'll hurt for Internet business anytime soon.

Steve F
@rdsnet.ro

Steve F to greg925

Anon

to greg925
$300 is a ridiculous amount of money to pay. Companies in the US want the average consumer to believe they are somehow getting a special product that is rare and hard to deliver.

I am living in Romania right now and have a 100mbps/100mbps line for about $14 per month. I also have two mobile 3g sticks each with 3gb for $5 each. Yea, data is a tight commodity that doesn't grow on trees......

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

Re: Speed is good but $$$ ?

That's in Romania,,, here in the states we are running short. We need to drill more off shore bandwidth wells.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon to greg925

to greg925
About 7 years ago, when I was running a hosting business out of my home, I was paying something like $300/mo for 384/384 SDSL with 5 static IP's.

The world sure has changed since then...

- FM
Paxio
Premium Member
join:2011-02-23
Santa Clara, CA

1 recommendation

Paxio to greg925

Premium Member

to greg925
said by greg925:

Also there is a internet provider known as paxio even they give there 1gbps for $245 a month and there 100/100 is $94.50 a month.

Google has everyone beat in K.C. for only $70/mo. including phone!

Since we live in the S.F. Bay Area and we are full symmetric instead of GPON, we can't match Google's pricing. But we did recently lower our prices now offer Gig internet (symmetric) for $138.50 and 100/100M for $88.50.

If you love broadband, the pricing trend of fiber internet is your best friend!

Disenchanted
@twtelecom.net

Disenchanted

Anon

Cost

I wonder how they can charge such low fees? The real world pay to connect to the fiber from someone at alot more than that. The CATV system costs money to maintain.
Who is subsidizing this?

Comcast has a failing point and I wonder when?
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

tanzam75

Re: Cost

said by Disenchanted :

I wonder how they can charge such low fees? The real world pay to connect to the fiber from someone at alot more than that.

It's not dedicated bandwidth, and there is no SLA. They are also limiting the build-out only to areas served by aerial plant.

whfsdude
Premium Member
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

Re: Cost

said by tanzam75:

They are also limiting the build-out only to areas served by aerial plant.

My plant is all underground except for an aerial drop. The real catch is you must be in a Metro Ethernet serviceable area.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

new price points..

just a couple of months left until google fiber puts these high prices to shame..

however it is a trend in the economy writ-large.. charging 300+% prices of what a product should go for.. poster child being gasoline prices.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

Re: new price points..

said by tmc8080:

just a couple of months left until google fiber puts these high prices to shame..

Uh huh, sure
said by tmc8080:

however it is a trend in the economy writ-large.. charging 300+% prices of what a product should go for.

It's called profit margin. If you owned a business you would seek to maximize your margins as well.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Re: new price points..

said by openbox9:

said by tmc8080:

Uh huh, sure
said by tmc8080:

however it is a trend in the economy writ-large.. charging 300+% prices of what a product should go for.

It's called profit margin. If you owned a business you would seek to maximize your margins as well.

Sure, but according to at least one governer's opinion utility companies (and from there you can extrapolate incumbent telcos too) do you have god given monopolies.. there is a PUBLIC interest that must be served properly.. or NOT AT ALL by the vendor

»newyork.cbslocal.com/201 ··· opolies/
civicturbo
join:2009-11-08
USA

civicturbo

Hmmm

Hmmmm
Perfect service to start a NISP off of, sell to all the neighbors, or especially if your a apartment building owner or other MDU. Or a hotel/motel Internet for the community and a great price for each! Everyone needs a firewall/router in their home of course to keep things private but damn! Think of the possibilities with cheap cat5, and cheap routers and switches now days!

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Residential?

If so, then who need this? Business would make sense.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg

You still pay out the nose.

Doesn't matter what they charge for the service, they will kill you with fee's for the hardware. If it's anything like their tv service, lookout.