spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-05 12:11:18: Time Warner Cable today released their third quarter earnings, which showed the company lost more video subscribers and added fewer broadband customers than Wall Street had expected. ..

page: 1 · 2

muisti

@tresourcegroup.com

no way to pay

I had TWC cable in la for 29 promotional rate. It was supposed to go to 45 after 12 months. In the meantime the price got raised so for 54 bucks I would get 10/1MB. No thanks. Oh yeah, and the cable modem fiasco. I had my own. Another thing. Some how I had access to some channels free and most of them were the damn crappy day time tv crap. Plugged in my OTA antena and I enjoy now QUALITY tv like antena tv, create, thisis and metv, DW, HKK, RT, tres and various PBS channels. Honestly this free channels are like the old discovery, history and various others. I am actually watching more tv now.

Eddy120876

join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY
reply to AdamB0

Re: Quality TV

Well the cutting the middle man is not going to work if cable operators start to bride providers like HBO. I had heard some folks want HBO to charge extra if you don't have a cable account .

WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Just dropped 1/3 of service

TWC just went up $12 for TV, internet, and voip phone. I did not use the phone enough to justify the monthly charge. When they came out with the $4 for internet modem rental I bought my own which was a $100 hit and dropped the phone. Then they insulted me by offering to let me have the service for free for a year. That tells me they realize most of their customers are chumps and will pay the higher price every 6 months. I wish they would let me pick 15 or 20 channels and then charge me what they pay for content, the equipment, plus a fair profit.

I am not into sports so I am paying a lot for channels and programming I don't watch. The SyFy channel is about the only channel I watch except network TV. If I lived closer to a big city and could use an antenna the TV would be dropped. SyFy only has one night a week of new programming and that only lasts for 13 weeks. I can stream those few programs. Not into Ghost Hunters all the time.

Premium
join:2012-06-11
reply to bigunk

Re: Overcharging for Cable TV

said by bigunk:

One thing they'll be doing for sure is going after those who lost their homes and everything they own in the hurricane for the cable box or a stupid amount of money. Just watch.

I'm not so sure because it would definitely be on such a large scale that it would definitely serve up poor PR for them, but the greed of these big companies is outrageous, we'll see what happens.

If they did try that you can be sure that the consumer interest media on the local news would step into high gear to lambaste the companies.

Premium
join:2012-06-11
reply to bigunk

Never Ending Greed!

said by bigunk:

One thing they'll be doing for sure is going after those who lost their homes and everything they own in the hurricane for the cable box or a stupid amount of money. Just watch.

I'm not so sure because it would definitely be on such a large scale that it would definitely serve up poor PR for them, but the greed of these big companies is outrageous, we'll see what happens.

If they did try that you can be sure that the consumer interest media on the local news would step into high gear to lambaste the companies.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to elray

said by elray:

The rate hikes aren't outrageous. They reflect content.

Too bad most of the content is unwanted but they don't give us a choice. They give us a package, and usually one or two channels are decent. The rest is just filler.

Truthfully, I'm getting sick of the "Reality TV" bullsh*t.

That's why we just have internet access. We have our phones through ST, including home.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to AdamB0

Re: Quality TV

..or redesign the cable company to fit the 21st century.

Basically, become a dumb pipe (I know, everyone is against it.. but it is inevitable) and someone offers CATV streaming over IP to a registered device or account with a maximum of X devices per account. You could also pick which channels you'd like and switch them out when needed. You only get charged with what you actually watch instead of all the crappy shows I don't watch.

Sounds doable. It actually happening? Doubtful.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.2G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,2G RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital DE504,Sun X1034A,2xSun X4444A,SMC 8432BTA,Gentoo]

bigunk
Gort, Klattu Birada Nikto

join:2001-02-10
USA
reply to 15444104

Re: Never Ending Greed!

My apologies for posting twice.

mech1164
I'll Be Back

join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

Someday soon?

I hope the cord cutting keeps going. I recently had a life change and had to reevaluate my cost of living. Dropped the cell bill down to 30 from 90. About to drop Vonage to. I got rid of my cable boxes and i'm using an HTPC with a Ceton cable card tuner and an xbox360 extender. After being a captive of Cablevision cause of terrain issues,I now have a flat antenna and i'm getting most if not all the locals.

I'm at the point where if I have the chance. I'll be dropping Cablevison also and just use OOL. Thing is i'm a news junkie, if the networks like CNN, Fox and MSNBC had a decent way to stream their programming. The choice would be simple. At one time FOX did just that. Wish they would return to it.

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
reply to 15444104

Re: Never Ending Greed!

Too late they already are charging for cable boxes.

»stopthecap.com/2012/11/02/kold-h ··· or-else/

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
reply to ITALIAN926

said by ITALIAN926:

And people like you need to learn that its not solely the Incumbants fault when they have like $40-$50 a month / per customer in carriage fee's to cover.

Yea you are right but if they keep raising those prices, it won't matter who's fault it is. Just saying...

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to Sammer

And the crappy service!!!

THIER PHONE SERVICE IS A PIECE OF GARBAGE!!!!!!!!! -- KEEPS DROPPING CALLS!! (Among other things)

LANDLINE SERVICE IS 100000% BETTER AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN!

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5

Too bad no OTA here.

... TWC TV for basic TV. Dang small mountain/big hill.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
reply to ITALIAN926

I'm pretty sure that is what the OP said.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to ITALIAN926
That's where big people like comcast can drive prices DOWN!!! They can tell abc/disney either lower their fees or lose 42 million customers and 200 million homes passed.
This NEVER happened back before 1996 when they de-regulated cable. Congress needs to re-regulate cable. Cap their prices so people aren't paying $150 to $200 a month.

Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA
reply to Simba7
said by Simba7:

said by elray:

The rate hikes aren't outrageous. They reflect content.

Too bad most of the content is unwanted but they don't give us a choice. They give us a package, and usually one or two channels are decent. The rest is just filler.

If it's the content then it's absolutely true that we're paying for too much garbage! Give us a choice of just the good stuff like real capitalists do.

OE

@anikast.net

Easy solution

Let the users pick which channels they pay for on an indivual level. I shouldn't have to subsidize channels I don't want and don't watch. Let the market decide it they want the Outdoor Cooking Fashion channel.