dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-05 17:37:41: Speaking during the company's earnings conference call earlier today, Time Warner Cable COO Rob Marcus stated that the cable operator will be bumping the speed of their standard broadband Internet tier by about 50 percent over the next 60 days. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

Extreme and ultimate to get some speed bumps as well?

what about extreme and ultimate? I heard there might be increases in Dallas and NYC where bonding has been activated on the upstream also Dallas and NYC are the only markets so far to have 6 downstreams per node dedicated H.S.I.
misfits138
join:2012-11-05

misfits138

Just curious

What goes into increasing standard speed by 5mbs? Is it very complicated or pretty much a few strokes on a keyboard?

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

AMDUSER

Premium Member

Not bad...

Well, this should help the earnings a little bit.. [it says on Stopthecap - that At&t was using agressive promotions].. I find that very believable. [I saved about $30 per month dumping TWC phone and internet..]
This could prove intersting locally, as that is faster then most of the At&t IPDSL services available locally.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to misfits138

Premium Member

to misfits138

Re: Just curious

They have to have the capacity to do it before just hitting the button. Theoretically, they could uncap the connection, and D2 modems would run at 38mbps, D3 at 38mbps per channel they can bond, but in reality, if they did that, you'd get the full speed at like 3 in the morning, but during prime usage times the whole network would slow down to a crawl.

They could add capacity by splitting nodes and/or adding more D3 channels. The fiber to the node usually has much more than the coax is set up for.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

1 recommendation

PowerMac

AWWWW ((( Just increase the upload speed! I will take 2mbps upload!
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

in 2012, even with dsl.. it's embarassing to have broadband below 15 megabits.. and for a cableco in the top 4...
Splork
join:2001-02-20
Austin, TX

Splork

Increase!

This is just a precursor to a rate increase in 2013. "Oh hey, remember when we doubled your internet speed? Now I need $5 more per month."
bugabuga
join:2004-06-10
Austin, TX

bugabuga

But they've already increased the rates by $4

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers

Premium Member

my basic is already 15 - what now

i pay standard and test at 15/1 non prime time and 10/1 prime times.

so am i already getting 15 or will i get 20/1 and 15/1 during 2013
FYI: i got my own SB5101U so no new $4 fees on my monthly bill.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to Splork

to Splork

Re: Increase!

Let's hope there isn't metered billing...
Wilsdom

Wilsdom to PowerMac

to PowerMac

Re: ..

Yeah, upload is weak. If you maxed both you probably won't even get above 10mb/s
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I have grandfathered turbo at 15/1 -do I get a price break?

I signed up for Turbo right before Oceanic TWC discontinued the 15/1 tier. I am not happy with it because I don't get anywhere near 15 down and I am paying $10 a month more for a small increase or no increase in speed.

So, what happens when Standard gets 15/1? Does that mean $10 is knocked of my bill each month? Or do I get current Turbo for 20/2 for the extra $10?
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA

Actually, that check too is a simple click of a mouse. (or in every NOC I've ever worked... just look up at the traffic graph on the big screen.)

To answer the OP... Yes. It's a number in a config file. It's an "upgrade" they've performed many times over the last decade plus... 3 to 5 to 6 to 7 to 8, then then D3 upgrades lead to 10, and now 15.

(PS: all ISPs over subscribe their network. TWC is no different, and this will not deter them from upping the advertised speeds. Look around the internet and you'll find plenty of accounts of people not getting the advertised speed.)

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

1 recommendation

banditws6

Premium Member

Not too shabby, but would like more upload

I was just saying to my friend yesterday (who is also on TWC) how I hoped competitive forces would push TWC to increase base speeds. Glad to see it happen. Since I am not a TV subscriber I feel like I am paying a lot for not too much (I'm on the 10/1), and this will help some.

Still, can we please get some more upload in here? 1 Mbps in the age of cloud storage is seriously painful. Even if you subscribed to the top speed tier package TWC offers in this area, you still only get 5 Mbps up. Ugh.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: I have grandfathered turbo at 15/1 -do I get a price break?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

A friend of mine currently is paying $36.95 for "Standard Internet" and an extra $10.00 for "Turbo Internet Upgrade 15mbps" (that is what it says on her bill).

Now, TWC can do whatever they want, but I don't see them doing nothing. If they did, I know a LOT of people would drop the Turbo and save themselves the extra $10 each month for the same speed. This in turn would cause TWC to loose $10 a month on a lot of customers.

I would think that something would change for those on turbo. Hopefully, they bump up that tier (to 20mbps or 25mbps?) and keep collecting the extra $10 a month. I feel that would be fair.

--Brian

waldoooo
join:2001-12-15
Fountain Valley, CA

waldoooo

always tests 15mb download anyway

I wish they would up the base upload speed a little bit, its really sad when my cell phone will upload at 2x-3x the speed of my home connection. When I have sent a couple large files I tethered to my cell to do it faster

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

Cap

Usually in these threads, someone mentions this is just a way to hit the monthly download cap sooner.

I'm kinda proud of ya'll for not doing it this time.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb

Re: I have grandfathered turbo at 15/1 -do I get a price break?

I just sent an email to someone at Oceanic TWC who should know and, if he doesn't, he'll find out quickly. He's out of the office a lot though and I got a "out of office" auto reply back which isn't helpful as it says he will be back on "August 2, 2012".

15/1 no longer exists though....at least not here. I got it just before Oceanic stopped selling it so I am on a grandfathered plan. Turbo currently is 20/2 and TWC announcement said nothing about that tier also being upgraded. In Hawaii, the only folks who have Turbo at 15/1 are those grandfathered in who did not move to the 20/2 tier when that was introduced at $20 a month more than Standard tier and $10 a month more than what had been Turbo (15/1).

I agree TWC will lose money if they do nothing except raise Standard to 15/1. I too will revert to Standard if that is the case. But here, there are not many on 15/1 since it is grandfathered as of last August 1 and no new customers could sign up for it . So, TWC may do nothing. I don't think the money lost if they do nothing would be significant ...at least not in my division.

I think they should make current Turbo at 20/2 only $10 a month more than Standard...not the current $20 a month more. I don't think it is worth that. Or keep the $20 a month more than Standard and up the speed to 25/2.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero to rebus9

Premium Member

to rebus9

Re: Cap

ill do it....lol....bet a cap is coming for all tiers sometime in 2013.....bet we see a cap before we see an upgrade to upload speeds on D3 tiers...

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to rebus9

Premium Member

to rebus9
said by rebus9:

Usually in these threads, someone mentions this is just a way to hit the monthly download cap sooner.

Time Warner is one of the few large ISPs left without a cap for the time being. Such a comment wouldn't make much sense.

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

1 edit

slyphoxj

Yet another reason to consider leaving WOW

Hmmmmm......

My household currently pays $110+change a month to WOW for 15/2 internet (own my modem, so no modem rental charge ), Digital TV Basic (fewer HD channels than we had with with TWC), 3 HD boxes ($21/month just for the privilege of being able to see the HD versions of all the SD channels WOW sends in clearQAM on all our TV's).

We're getting fed up with the pixelation and freezing on the HD channels. A firmware upgrade they did to my modem caused a "watchdog timer" issue (but it appears to have finally been fixed now). And not only that, WOW upgraded (more like downgraded) their billing/admin system... people in the WOW forum here are complaining about 75 minute wait times!

My sister got a nice promo for $31.98/month from TWC for 12 months for basic 70 channel analog cable... too difficult to get all of the 19 Cleveland area OTA broadcast channels reliably in her "dugout" apartment (term I coined for a bottom floor apartment that's partially below grade). The simple rabbit ears, even the amplified ones, weren't getting the job done.

I could get analog basic cable from TWC for ~$32/month for 1 year and AT&T 3/0.5 DSL for $14.95 for a year... less than half of what we're paying to WOW now! Having HD and the faster speeds is nice, but $110 for cable + internet is a bit hard for me to stomach.

We're going to call TWC again and see if they can get close to the ~$88/month we were paying for 10/1 RoadRunner, digital cable, 1 HD box and 1 HD DVR box (this promo ran out right before we switched to WOW about a year ago).

EDIT: Added "from TWC" to the paragraph beginning with "My sister..."
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom

How do you figure that?
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom

Downloading requires some upload overhead. On something like 100/1 it would be impossible to reach full download speed. Effect on 15/1 isn't that bad, but it's not good either

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Which markets, caps, faster uploads, etc.?

It said most... Which ones are and are not getting the speed upgrades?

What about caps, faster uploads, etc.? I guess the new monthly cable modem rental fees pay for this speed upgrade.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to BiggA

to BiggA

Regarding FTTN -- do we still think cable's current limits are the last mile coax? Obviously this depends on how well the cable plant has been managed but I suspect unleashing DOCSIS limits would obliterate their backbone to the Internet well before straining the last-mile coax.

The reason I suspect this is that most cable companies continue to increase speed on a steady pace. Are they really continuing to push fiber deeper and deeper into their networks or within the past few years have they reached "far enough" to where nodes are small enough to have plenty of bandwidth? (Perhaps not to deliver 1Gpbs but certainly 15Mbps and probably 38Mbps wouldn't create a crisis.)

In my area, Charter still provides 60 or 70 analog channels. Considering each uses 6mhz + guard bands, that's close to 500mhz of capacity just ready to be reclaimed! They also stream those same channels in SD digital along with lots of HD, VOD and 100Mbps HSI. Recent ratings show them having no problem delivering all of this during peak periods.

What still makes no sense to me is the CAPs. Surely it's no longer about concurrent user experience. Cable speeds are such that even extreme users would have difficulty maxing out their connections doing anything related to a typical consumer -- even if they watched constant NetFlix streams.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to djrobx

to djrobx

Re: Cap

said by djrobx:

said by rebus9:

Time Warner is one of the few large ISPs left without a cap for the time being. Such a comment wouldn't make much sense.

Well, they tried and it blew up in their face. I thought now that other ISPs are doing it, they were slowly phasing it in again, in a few select markets.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to BiggA

to BiggA

Isn't that how @home worked before they tried to merge with excite and went the way of the dodo bird?
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

1 recommendation

ExoticFish to antdude

to antdude

Re: Which markets, caps, faster uploads, etc.?

Don't think it is costing TWC 300 million to increase speeds that small amount. LoL
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom

Relatively common misconception.

Yes, TCP has to have a stream of responses.

No, they don't take even 1% of your bandwidth.

More like 0.1%.

I dislike highly asymmetric connections as much as anyone else, but you'll have no problem hitting 15 Mbps down and 0.9 Mbps up simultaneously.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to rradina

Premium Member

to rradina

The technological limits are 100% the last-mile. Fiber, when set up correctly, has massive capacity way beyond that of DOCSIS. Of course that's not to say that there aren't systems out there with shiny new D3 gear running on older fiber backhaul that are backhaul limited. AT&T's shiny new 3G network was backhaul limited for years before they saturated the air interfaces with gig IP-RAN for fake 4G.

They have had to push fiber father out not just for internet, but also for VOD, which uses QAM channels. Comcast here has gotten rid of analog, and shortly thereafter, they added more HD VOD content, more HD channels, and more internet speed.

The caps aren't effective at what they need to do, which is manage peak traffic on the last-mile. However, they don't really know how to do better, and the investors of course push for monetization. I think the best solution would be to go back to "don't abuse it but we don't have a set cap" but don't kick the abusers off, just shape and throttle them during peak usage, and then let them hit it hard at 3 in the morning.
page: 1 · 2 · next