spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-06 08:52:39: If anything, carriers have been too mindlessly helpful when it comes to letting the government spy on its citizens, whether it's offering intelligence agencies wholesale illegal access to their networks, or actually giving advice on how to break priv.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
kudos:1

1 recommendation

so....

how pissed would they be if an American citizen went to their ISP and collected wholesale information on the DHS, being that homeland security is run by the government who is accountable to the people that has elected them.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

2 recommendations

Abuse of power for government to spy on citizens.

There is a difference between an active investigation about a specific legal issue and trolling to look for something illegal. There is a whole new police schemes called stings. The same thing holds true with spying on citizens. With advancements in technology communication whether voice of text can be screened for key words. Call your accountant about a questionable tax exemption and get audited by the IRS. Ask a doctor about medical marijuana and get a visit by the DEA.

You see the abuse of power to spy at the airport. The purpose of the TSA was to prevent terrorist acts by passengers. When the protectors use their authority to snoop on passengers, that is over the top. The TSA questioning a person about their prescription controlled substances is outrageous and none of the governments business. Bring to much money with you and it might be seized as drug money and you will have to prove it was legal. Screening for anything other then weapons or dangerous materials should be declared illegal. The turn of this century was the end of respect for the constitution.

TheHelpful1
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Upper Marlboro, MD

T-Mo

+1 for T-Mo. Maybe they are trying to improve things after all.
--
"My weakness is that I care too much"

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to BonezX

Re: so....

Pissed? Your name just goes on the Kill List for some kid playing a video game.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to BonezX

They may be pissed and they have the bigger guns, so I wouldn't think any sane person would try that...

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
reply to BonezX

If someone tried that then they would be the terrorist and forgotten in Guantanamo bay. Yeah, that wouldn't work out very well.

Tobester

join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Surveillance Powers

If the FBI or any other government agency feels the need for surveillance, simply get a warrant and make the whole process legal.

I still remain troubled by AT&T's complicity with the NSA's wholesale monitoring of internet and telecommunications traffic in the San Francisco case.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to bobjohnson

I think they gave up on that option and just kill them with drones now... And any civilians that happened to be nearby when the kill order was given since they like to use missiles rather than spending the effort to make a sniper drone.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23

2 recommendations

Big Brother is here...

You gotta think they (the government) are planning something big on the horizon for us poor chaps not in the loop. Ever notice how many cameras are now up around your town, especially at stoplights?

1. Patriot Act
2. National Defense Authorization Act
3. The Next Generation Identification program (FBI's new national facial recognition program)
4. Using the cell phone companies to belligerently spy on citizens
5. National Emergency Centers Establishment Act
6. Homeland Security

People really need to start paying attention to all of this...

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

Disturbing

It is very disturbing that the FBI is complaining that businesses aren't willingly violating the laws set up to protect citizens from wholesale spying. Follow the laws or lobby to get the laws changed. Don't shame companies for following the law.

WiseOldBear
De gustibus non est disputandum
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Phoenix, AZ

Power Corrupts

and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Proof resides in every government office in Washington and throughout the USA.
--
My perception is REALITY

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Tobester

Re: Surveillance Powers

you have to remember their "Fear-Words" that lets them sell warrantless monitoring. All they need to do is bring up "Terrorists" or "Protect the Children" and they could sell any crap to the viewers at home. Hell they could sell using predator drones fully armed over the US if they said it was to stop terrorists and protect the children.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

I think they gave up on that option and just kill them with drones now... And any civilians that happened to be nearby when the kill order was given since they like to use missiles rather than spending the effort to make a sniper drone.

So to rephrase my OP... If you try that, you will be considered a terrorist and then a missile will be shot at you while you're walking through a high traffic area in whatever city you live in... Haha.
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 edit

Use the right words

Well no matter which ISP you have or what cell provider you use make sure you use the right words while you're being monitored.

»Homeland Security words to avoid

Might also want to drive rather than (try to) fly

»NO-FLY LIST Strands man on Island in Hawaii

BTW if windowless and unmarked grey vans park outside your residence don't worry. They're not monitoring you. Really.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to TheHelpful1

Re: T-Mo

said by TheHelpful1:

Only to the extent that denying it doesn't cost them more than complying with it. Don't think for a second that Large Faceless Corporation, INC. has any interest in your actual privacy.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Mr Matt

Re: Abuse of power for government to spy on citizens.

said by Mr Matt:

The turn of this century was the end of respect for the constitution.

What about the "Alien and Sedition Acts"? Turn of Eighteenth to Nineteenth Centuries. Ink was barely dry on the Constitution!
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

rdmiller

join:2005-09-23
Richmond, VA

Not grown here

Fortunately for America, we don't have any "home grown" terrorists! Those news stories about Lone Wolf terrorists being apprehended in the act of detonating their explosives are just government propaganda. Right.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to StuartMW

Re: Use the right words

said by StuartMW:

BTW if windowless and unmarked grey vans park outside your residence don't worry. They're not monitoring you. Really.

How would I know which, of 216, residence they are watching? (All are at one street address.)
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

Well I'm sure "you have nothing to hide" so they must be watching someone else
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Wilsdom

Where do I get in on this game? I want to play.

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to cdru

Re: T-Mo

said by cdru:

said by TheHelpful1:

Only to the extent that denying it doesn't cost them more than complying with it. Don't think for a second that Large Faceless Corporation, INC. has any interest in your actual privacy.

They make less money by not complying. I doubt the likes of T or similar has no incentive to allow the 3 letter agencies do whatever they want.
--

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to NormanS

Re: Abuse of power for government to spy on citizens.

And then there were the Loyalty Oaths that citizens were required to sign during various times for various reasons since the United States of America was founded. Most recently was during the McCarthy Era's Red Scare. More about Loyalty Oaths in Wikipedia here:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyalty_oath

vpoko
Premium
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

I hope

I hope ISP's on the list use it in their advertising.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to rdmiller

Re: Not grown here

Thankfully, the vast majority of domestic terrorists and mundane criminals incredibly inept. Timothy McVeigh got caught because he didn't have a license plate on his getaway car. Drug mules are commonly caught because they can't be bothered to obey the speed limit. People kill their spouse the day after they purchase a ginormous life insurance policy, as if that isn't going to draw any unwanted attention from the investigating law enforcement agencies.

It occurs to me that if I was to run drugs, I'd make use of that handy dandy cruise control button, and ensure that my license plate, registration, running lights, etc, were all in good order.

One can almost sympathize with Tony Soprano, it's incredibly hard to find smart people if you're in his line of work.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to ArrayList

The USAF, and they pay you to play!

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

4 recommendations

reply to rdmiller

So in your sorry world being that there may be less then .0000001% of the population out of 230+ million (thats 23 people) over a course of a couple decades that will do something stupid that would be considered a terrorist act and cost a few lives we should all give up all of our privacy and liberties?

More people will die due to drunk driving and other acts of shear stupidity by someone else in the next 12 months than ALL of the terrorist acts combined in the last 15 years. Should we therefore make all acts of stupidity a federal crime and thus reason to invade all privacy at any cost?

I have a better idea, how about morons like you just leave the country if you are that fearful of being hurt by a terrorist.

mmay149q
Premium
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX
kudos:48
reply to Wilsdom

said by Wilsdom:

Pissed? Your name just goes on the Kill List for The President since that's allowed with the NDAA now and we pretty much live in a dictatorship with that allowance.

There ya go, fixed it for ya!

Matt
--
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. -Albert Einstein

mmay149q
Premium
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX
kudos:48
reply to sandman_1

Re: Big Brother is here...

said by sandman_1:

You gotta think they (the government) are planning something big on the horizon for us poor chaps not in the loop. Ever notice how many cameras are now up around your town, especially at stoplights?

1. Patriot Act
3. The Next Generation Identification program (FBI's new national facial recognition program)
6. Homeland Security

Amen brother, Amen!

Matt
--
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. -Albert Einstein

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

said by mmay149q:

said by sandman_1:

1. Patriot Act
6. Homeland Security

Amen brother, Amen!

Matt

+1.. less we not forget

7. You need a US passport to go and come back now to even Canada ( A place we can walk to). Also all passport are now RFID equipped.

airwavz
Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN
reply to Skippy25

said by Skippy25:

More people will die due to drunk driving and other acts of shear stupidity by someone else in the next 12 months than ALL of the terrorist acts combined in the last 15 years. Should we therefore make all acts of stupidity a federal crime and thus reason to invade all privacy at any cost?

+100 and then some.....
At this point I'm FAR more worried about being 'falsely accused' - or run over by a train for that matter - than being killed in a "terrorist attack"!

We the "Sheeple" have given up 90% of our freedoms for a VERY FALSE sense of security.