dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-07 08:53:13: Facebook is working on developing new routers for businesses that will reward patrons with free Wi-Fi if they check in to local establishments. ..

weaver0
join:2004-05-05
Macungie, PA

weaver0

...and get sued?

Maybe this means the FB lawyers will join cisco, et al in their goal to ruin Innovatio.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Only if I really, REALLY need a connection

I'd only consider this if I really, REALLY needed a wi-fi connection and had no other choice. I have a real problem with using Facebook or any other social media site to tell the world about my current whereabouts or future plans, in the same way that I don't post a sign outside my house telling folks if I'm home.

Do people not see the security risk in doing this?
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

1 recommendation

Joe12345678

your cell phone can track where you are right now.
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai to ISurfTooMuch

Premium Member

to ISurfTooMuch
said by ISurfTooMuch:

I'd only consider this if I really, REALLY needed a wi-fi connection and had no other choice. I have a real problem with using Facebook or any other social media site to tell the world about my current whereabouts or future plans, in the same way that I don't post a sign outside my house telling folks if I'm home.

Do people not see the security risk in doing this?

I can see why some might have fears that crooks are anxiously awaiting news a person has gone on wifi outside of the home. Me, well I just don't indulge over the top fears like that. I routinely don't lock my door for the most part. Besides I have a very capable guard dog in the form of a son that never seems to go out much (I think though a dog would likely do more harm to an intruder ).

I currently don't mind using Tim Hortons to get some free wifi while sipping a hot chocolate, but then I am using a tablet, and I simply don't use a tablet to go on Facebook either. I prefer to spend my time wasting time, while at home actually.

Maybe more people should be more ruthless with how often they waste time on the internet while not at home? I suspect 90% of the phone usage outside of the home by the average individual was pointless, unnecessary, and avoidable to begin with.

I don't own a cell for a reason, they are not that vital, and I don't have an obsession with texting meaningless prattle and gabbing with no real substance in the blathering. Half the time someone is noticing you weren't at home, you likely had no real intelligent reason to be on your device to begin with.
ISurfTooMuch
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to Joe12345678

to Joe12345678
Yes, it can, but that information isn't being broadcast to my friends or anyone who may have hacked into their or my Facebook accounts. If I check in at a Starbucks on the other side of the country, that's a pretty good indication that I'm not home, and if I happen to also mention that my wife is with me, that's a pretty good indication that no one is at our house. Even worse would be telling everyone how much we're looking forward to going to Hawaii next week (we're not, although a guy can dream). And people do this stuff, never stopping to think that this information is gold to a burglar.
Sukunai
Premium Member

Sukunai to ISurfTooMuch

Premium Member

to ISurfTooMuch
Well when you think of it, how much of what is said on Facebook is indicative of a person needing a good smack in the head from a friend I suppose.

While in a far distant realm, why not leave behind all the routine shit, and focus on why you went, to get away from it all (inluding dumb shit like our online idiocies).

Might even qualify as a variation on a Darwin award. How to ensure you end up suffering examples.

Fortunately my life being what it is (tragic) the fact I can be seen to be posting on Facebook literally at any hour of the day just highlights how entirely unpredictable my schedule really is.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Already done

We have deployed several hotspots in our area using this same technology. It's available with open source software and a captive portal. Another company allows for it as well: hotspotsystem.com.
ISurfTooMuch
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to Sukunai

to Sukunai

Re: Only if I really, REALLY need a connection

I won't argue with that. My policy is that, when I'm on vacation, especially on a cruise, the cell is turned off and put in the safe, not only because of the prohibitive cost of wireless service (both cellular and wi-fi) on cruise ships, but also because I want to completely unplug from the outside world for a week or so. But I'm amazed and saddened at the number of people still chatting away, seemingly oblivious to the massive bills they're running up.

But, on a larger scale, I simply don't want to broadcast my location and activities to everyone I know. Why should I want to use Facebook or Foursquare to check in at my favorite restaurant? If I had wanted someone to know where I am and possibly join me, I'd have contacted them ahead of time and asked. Likewise, if I'm planning to take a vacation, the folks who I want to know will know, either ahead of time or after I get back.
Sukunai
Premium Member

Sukunai to ISurfTooMuch

Premium Member

to ISurfTooMuch
Makes sense too.

Best time to plan a get together, before the get together.

Best time to talk about a vacation, after one gets back.

I don't Facebook out of the home.

At Tims, my usual activities are model manufacturers sites so I can browse for new models to buy. After that, my tablet is actually functioning as a writing pad (man I love SuperNote that comes with my tablet).
I don't want to drag around a keyboard, and a touch typewriter is painful to use for more than a few words. But Supernote can actually allow cursive writing, and I find it easier on my hands than using an actual pen or pencil (my hands just ain't up to a lot of writing the old way any more).
Finally I don't mind playing a few games on the devices I drag around, but it is all offline games.

My buddy is bugging me to play a Scrabble like Facebook game. Fine, but only when I am at home.

G2XLR
@telus.net

G2XLR

Anon

wifi is already free

Facebook to offer free wifi!?! umm, isn't there free wifi everywhere already? yaaee facebook, way to use you head. lmao... stay away from me facebook.