spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-07 10:42:12: AT&T has paid a penalty for their heavy handed effort to force unlimited wireless data users on to the company's metered plans. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
kudos:1

Laughing it off

Att will laugh it off and everyone will be put on their expensive family share plan and Att will laugh some more, hell, all the way to the bank.
--

Romney equals Epic Fail!

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY

Exactly...is $700,000 even a factor compared to the numbers of users moved to metered data plans who will incur overages?

Os

join:2011-01-26
US

Not Expensive Enough

AT&T needs to feel it a little more than this, but it's encouraging to see the FCC do something other than tow the corporate line.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

Agreed, a fine of this size is not even a slap on the wrist with the magnitude of business ATT does.
Id like the FCC to require ATT to not only refund customers but to make it widely known and publicized to those customers via text messages, courtesy calls, and bold lettering on there next bills what the refund is for while also informing those swindled customers that if they were switched to a metered plan they have the right to call in and request ( with in a reasonable amount of time say 90 days) to be allowed to have there unlimited plans reinstated with the guarantee it will never be canceled in the future unless the customer choses to cancel it.

What would the US look like if rules similar to that were enforced?

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
reply to winsyrstrife

Re: Laughing it off

$700,000 plus refunds.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to spewak

They should have also been forced to let affected users reinstate their unlimited data plans.

twaddle

@sbcglobal.net

A Farce

What sort of refunds will ATT customers get- a credit on your outrageous monthly bill but you still end up with a metered plan that costs much more for much less? Why is there no issue in bandwidth share of resources/issues when you are paying through the nose, and only when the consumer has a good deal? The same usage/trafic is impacting the infrastructure, the only difference is that ATT is raking in a lot more revenue. What a load of Bovine excrement!A classic money grab aided and abetted by the slap on the wrist by the FCC.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

Unlimited is not sustainable

Anyone that think cell phone companies can offer unlimited 4G data for $30 is both obtuse and naive. That being said at&t should have juts let these unlimited customers finish out their contracts before getting them off unlimited.

Regardless unlimited is not coming back so all the "It's my right to have unlimited data" whiners need to get over it.

Yessir

@northwestern.edu
reply to buddahbless

Re: Not Expensive Enough

Hear! Hear!

Premium
West Tenness
reply to dnoyeB

said by dnoyeB:

$700,000 plus refunds.

True but $700,000 to the government might as well be $5. The refunds are what's going to hurt at&t more.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

They should have also been forced to let affected users reinstate their unlimited data plans.

The move is to get rid of unlimited and that's not going to change. let them back for what 6 months, a year, maybe 2?

itsMeAgain

@rr.com

customers who used AT&T's phone insurance plans

"customers who used AT&T's phone insurance plans (or used their warranty) were migrated to metered billing"

5 days ago i got 2 iphones 5 at full price from ATT store . ( they did unlock them for me online )
I have unlimited data plan + I am out of any agreement with att

The sales person was trying hard to suggest att phone insurance plan or change our plan with better deal .
I refused to add anything or change my plan.
well i did my home work

Os

US
reply to 88615298

Re: Unlimited is not sustainable

So that's why T-Mobile just switched to unlimited 4G data?

I think $50 for 1GB is less sustainable for data than unlimited. You can get away with that in a market with shiny show toys, not a maturing one with saturation.

Twaddle

@sbcglobal.net
reply to IowaCowboy

Agreed, but the FCC isn't going to make that happen, it's too reasonable and consumer friendly. With ATT billing practices of adding on additional charges EVERY month, that 25-30 dollar credit will get eaten up rather quickly and in the end the customer is paying more for less than it was paying-ATT gets their way and kills off the grand-fathered accounts.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to dnoyeB

said by dnoyeB:

$700,000 plus refunds.

Plus now a rate increase to recoup there money.

Twaddle

@sbcglobal.net
reply to 88615298

ATT illegally canceled their contracts and forced them to a metered situation. If I buy goods and services that offer a set of specification, capacities etc. at a set price then by god I want those specifications at that price. That is not whining that is standing up for your rights. If ATT couldn't sustain an unlimited offering they should not have offered it in the first place.
I also agree that it's a tad unreasonable to expect unlimited data consumption for 30 dollars a month but that's the reality of ATT's "grand-fathered" customers.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to winsyrstrife

Surely you jest. Didn't AT&T always claim that their data limits were tuned to meet the needs of an overwhelming majority of users. Didn't they claim that only a small percentage would pay more as a result of their new limits? If what AT&T said is true, how can this be a windfall?

Premium
West Tenness
reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

said by dnoyeB:

$700,000 plus refunds.

Plus now a rate increase to recoup there money.

And then those people will move on to another company.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

Regardless unlimited is not coming back so all the "It's my right to have unlimited data" whiners need to get over it.

Thank God for a competitive market and urban areas serviced by several carriers. No need to whine, only vote with the wallet.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Os

said by Os:

T-mobile has ZERO 4G.

T-mobile has a MUCH smaller marketshare than at&T Verizon.

T-mobile will find out quickly how unsustainable unlimited it.

T-mobile customers will find to how having everyone using unimited bogs down the network.

I think $50 for 1GB is less sustainable for data than unlimited. You can get away with that in a market with shiny show toys, not a maturing one with saturation.

There isn't a $50 charge for 1GB of data.

Until you can actually accept some FACTS there is no point trying to discuss anything with you.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Network Guy

said by Network Guy:

said by 88615298:

Thank God for a competitive market and urban areas serviced by several carriers. No need to whine, only vote with the wallet.

That's right, just move on to another carrier and don't come to messageboards adn complain and threaten lawsuits in hopes of getting at&t and Verizon to switch back to unlimited.

wingrider01

join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Twaddle

forsee the Verizon method of getting people of the discontinued data plan - want a full subsidized upgrade cost then dro off your unlimited plan, other then that pay full cost. Besides they did not disallow throttling, suspect it maybe slower from now on, no where in the original fcc disertation did it say they cannot throttle

wingrider01

join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Network Guy

said by Network Guy:

said by 88615298:

hope you like sprint or t-mobile

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Twaddle

said by Twaddle :

ATT illegally canceled their contracts and forced them to a metered situation. If I buy goods and services that offer a set of specification, capacities etc. at a set price then by god I want those specifications at that price. That is not whining that is standing up for your rights.

You don't read very well do you? Did you READ what I wrote? Obviously not. I already stated that at&t was wrong in getting rid of unlimited with people still under contract.

If ATT couldn't sustain an unlimited offering they should not have offered it in the first place.

At&t and Verizon offered unlimited back when 4G didn't exist and in fact 3G wasn't even everywhere. Also very few people had smartphones and even those with smartphones, those phones had less capabilities to use data. Which part of that is hard for you to understand?

I also agree that it's a tad unreasonable to expect unlimited data consumption for 30 dollars a month

Hell my CABLE internet connection doesn't even offer unlimited data anymore and that cost $50 a month. How anyone things that cellular is going to offer unlimited for $30 a month is beyond me.

No if one wants to argue about the caps being too low that's legit argument to have. But anyone that's still on the "we deserve unlimited" camp they aren't paying with a full deck.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to wingrider01

said by wingrider01:

said by Network Guy:

said by 88615298:

hope you like sprint or t-mobile

Well they offer "unlimited" right?

WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by Os:

T-mobile has ZERO 4G.

T-mobile has a MUCH smaller marketshare than at&T Verizon.

T-mobile will find out quickly how unsustainable unlimited it.

T-mobile customers will find to how having everyone using unimited bogs down the network.

There isn't a $50 charge for 1GB of data.

Until you can actually accept some FACTS there is no point trying to discuss anything with you.

I am on the unlimited TMo 4G. Kicks ass, downloaded about 15 GB with ZERO issues and no complaints from TMo. Who should I believe, my lying eyes or someone off the Internet ?

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Network Guy

I'm going to vote with my wallet.

Should the time come that I can no longer keep the unlimited data plan on my phone, I'll just go back to a flip phone.

Sure, the smartphone has a lot of neat gizmos. But I lived without them before. I can do it again. $30 for 2GB is a rip off in my opinion.

Should the time come that I can no longer keep my unlimited plan on my mobile data card, then I'll just turn that off.

$90 + taxes and fees BAM back into my bank account!

And, for the record, anyone who thinks these giant companies who are sitting on hoards of cash AND spectrum can't offer unlimited need to do a little more research, and sell off some of your stocks.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to 88615298

I'm still on unlimited data with Verizon Wireless on my 4G phone. The last couple of months I used 18GB and 12GB.

And I'm still on unlimited data from FIOS at home. But I use several terabytes a month. If Verizon FiOS can do unlimited data for only $60 a month, with more than 100X the data I use from cellular, then Verizon Wireless should have no issue with unlimited data for the $30 a month they are charging me.

Data is extremely cheap. And the prices keep getting lower and lower. So even if they kept charging the same amount thier profit margins would still continue to rise.

Os

US

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298

Apparently you've never seen the FACTS of a Verizon Share Everything plan. It is indeed $50 for 1GB.

»www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plan···erything

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to 88615298

Hell my CABLE internet connection doesn't even offer unlimited data anymore and that cost $50 a month. How anyone things that cellular is going to offer unlimited for $30 a month is beyond me.

No if one wants to argue about the caps being too low that's legit argument to have. But anyone that's still on the "we deserve unlimited" camp they aren't paying with a full deck.

I'm OK with limits. They need to be fairly priced though. Do you remember how cellular data cost before the unlimited plans came to exist? We'd still be stuck with per MB charges if it weren't for the proliferation of unlimited options.

We've had unlimited hardwired internet for over a decade now. The only reason that's not "sustainable" is that all major ISPs are now TV providers, and streaming video is threatening the pay TV cash cow.

Unlimited data has fueled innovation over the last decade in both wired and wireless. As data consumption goes up, providers have figured out ways to meet the demand.

AT&T grandfathers unlimited because they know people will run to Verizon without it. Clearly they feel they're making money off those customers. They'd just like to make more.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.