spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-07 14:14:59: AT&T has announced their long-awaited plan to address the upgrade path for the company's DSL networks. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

75mbps by 2013?

Two months to do this?

That being said... I'm glad they're doing it. My parents only have a measly 1.5mbps DSL connection (and it disconnects all of the time) at home. Where I live, I can get either a local municipally owned ISP (cable) - 10/1 for $34/mo. I personally have 30/2 for $54/mo, though.

That being said, if I could get their U-Verse IPDSLAM service I would be ecstatic. I'd gladly welcome in 24/3 for the higher upload speed, or even 45/6 or whatever projected upstream plan they have.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
read carefully
"... U-Verse speeds to 75 Mbps by the end of 2013..."

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX
Definitely wasn't there when I posted :P
I figured it was a typo, though.

ShellMMG

join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

I have a description for this:

"Broadband Apartheid"

Those LTE caps will cut off internet access for thousands of consumers. According to Techdirt, a Razor mouse now requires an internet connection to work. There's a huge market that will be completely cut off, and nobody is putting pressure on ISPs to reconsider this mess.

SlowFITL

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Whats the plan for existing FTTC

I wonder what they plan to do with existing FTTC like the Marconi DISC*S systems in place in BellSouth areas.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US

Faster Speeds for U-Verse are Huge

Not only will this make their internet offerings more competitive with cable, but if they can stop overcompressing the TV and not have limitations to the number of streams, they may really be on the right path after all.
Expand your moderator at work

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

Re: I have a description for this:

LOL, you are full of it if you think this is political. At&t has been losing thousands of customers for quarter after quarter. It was either build out or concede defeat to cable.

computerman2
Premium
join:2002-04-20
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest
reply to Os

Re: Faster Speeds for U-Verse are Huge

Will Gibraltar Michigan see any upgrades? We're about 30 Miles south of Detroit, Uverse currently stops I believe in Trenton Michigan, a city north of us

Currently on DSL Elite Package 6.0mbps, would love faster speed for sure, don't really care on Uverse TV right now since have Directv currently

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1

At&t won't do nothing...

As usual at&t will end up doing nothing and their 75Mbps and future 100Mbps thereafter pipe dreams are just that, pipe dreams.

Perhaps in 5 years uverse will offer 75 Mbps to the lucky few closer than 1000ft from the VRAD but for the rest it's 6 Mbps heaven. $14 billion dollars spent on wheels in a car worth $100.

First deliver the 45 mbps plan they have been working on for 2 years and then talk about 75 or even 100 Mbps

»45 MB internet service

No wonder why their investors are not happy.

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA

A network behind

This is still not good enough as Docsis 3.1 will be rolling out during the same time frame. at&t is really trying hard for the bottom position and that is why share holders are angry.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

1 recommendation

worthless

Totally worthless with such caps. LTE is neat, but there are still tons of gaps in coverage. The biggest issue is still usability. Sure, you can browse a bit faster, but forget really using wireless broadband anything like wired.
This is just sad. There really should be a fixed service with usable terms. It is otherwise worthless, and a huge waste.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

Why not sell off the unwanted DSL lines?

Surely in some of these ares there would be a company that would buy up these lines at&t seems to not have an interest in maintaining.

markrubi

join:2004-08-11
Edmond, OK

LoL yeah right. 75Mbps

I can't even get the Max Turbo speeds. I am all fiber too.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

1 recommendation

Bait and Switch

Once you read beyond the press releases and really dig into the regulatory filings and sit through the entire two hour event (our good friend Craig Moffett was on hand for this one too), the real agenda begins to emerge.

This is one giant stunt to bait the feds with the promise of better broadband in return for the wholesale abandonment of the landline network and its universal service requirements. AT&T's wireless and VoIP voice services are barely regulated and abandoning rural landline networks in favor of wireless is win-win... for them.

Customers have zero recourse if they lose landline service and get stuck with lousy AT&T service and will be slapped with the same overpriced wireless service and usage caps. AT&T gets to pocket the fat profits.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

LTE

We have no idea what their LTE service for replacing DSL or those without even DSL will be priced at. No one knows that it will be $15 per GB, that's purely speculation.

We have to keep in mind much of the 25% of At&t's footprint that isn't getting upgrades probably doesn't have DSL at all.

kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

Let's see

SBC/ATT DSL/Wireline initiatives promising DSL in my town since 1998:

1999- Project Pronto: DSL promised, dropped undelivered
2004- Project Lightspeed: DSL promised, dropped, morphed into.... U-verse
2007- U-Verse VRAD's installed in my Chicago suburb, never turned on....
2010- Unused and rusting VRAD's repainted
2012- Some VRAD's lit, the one serving my neighborhood is still neglected......
This latest initiative: ?

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
reply to 88615298

Re: Why not sell off the unwanted DSL lines?

unless those are so-called 'dry' lines, ATT pads their POTS numbers with those.

countscabula

join:2010-03-09
reply to Dampier

Re: Bait and Switch

We have a winner!

countscabula

join:2010-03-09

VRADs

They pulled the plug on the VRADs then they noticed something, they were making lots of money. So they're starting back. Great idea.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11

Should have to maintain dsl network.

Since they were built via a subsidy, they should in addition at least be required to keep the existing dsl markets that aren't in the upgrade plans on. LTE charges per GB are way to high to replace dsl.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to Os

Re: Faster Speeds for U-Verse are Huge

said by Os:

Not only will this make their internet offerings more competitive with cable, but if they can stop overcompressing the TV and not have limitations to the number of streams, they may really be on the right path after all.

Doubtful, it would also impact DVR recording time and storage. Plus cause headaches to already marginal lines.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see that. U-verse HD hurts my eyes.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to tshirt

Re: 75mbps by 2013?

said by tshirt:

read carefully
"... U-Verse speeds to 75 Mbps by the end of 2013..."

Probably in Texas.