dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-08 10:30:30: Yesterday AT&T announced their new $14 billion network expansion plan. The effort involves spending $6 billion to extend U-Verse to 8. ..

Angrychair
join:2000-09-20
Jacksonville, FL

Angrychair

Applies to corporations, too!

How can you tell a major corporation's mouthpiece is lying to you?

Their lips are moving!

GNH
I know my limitations.
Premium Member
join:1999-12-20
Canyon Lake, TX

GNH

Premium Member

Where there's a will...

...there's a way.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

After AT&T lost TMO, it acquired a lot of spectrum for LTE

They did need more spectrum. They didn't get it from TMO merger in 1 big deal. So they got it elsewhere in many deals. Doesn't mean that they didn't need more spectrum.

»www.thetelecomblog.com/2 ··· um-path/

To that end, this year alone AT&T has entered into 40 new spectrum deals, some already approved with others still going through the regulatory process. It’s an opportunistic strategy, Stankey explains, that will situate AT&T well in the mobile market for the next two years, after that the future becomes a lot more uncertain.

ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Re: After AT&T lost TMO, it acquired a lot of spectrum for LTE

But what they didn't get was to remove a competitor from the market, which is what they really wanted. And not just any competitor but the only other national carrier using GSM/UMTS, which is the only place that disgruntled AT&T users could go without needing to get new phones.
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

1 recommendation

clocks11

said by ISurfTooMuch:

But what they didn't get was to remove a competitor from the market, which is what they really wanted. And not just any competitor but the only other national carrier using GSM/UMTS, which is the only place that disgruntled AT&T users could go without needing to get new phones.

It may be news to you, but T-Mobile badly wanted to get out of the US market. It's not like they were victims being taken over by an evil giant.

So now instead, we have Germany, UK, and Japan owning/controlling a majority of our cellular market. Oh, and and Mexico/Carlos Slim, since he controls a huge chunk of the prepaid market.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

I'm aware that DT wanted out. They felt that T-Mobile USA wasn't performing as well as they wanted. My theory is that this is a problem of their own creation, since they aren't expanding coverage into rural areas, a move that completely eliminates the possibility of getting customers outside big cities and even turns off some city residents who travel to these areas.

However, just because DT was a willing seller and AT&T was a willing buyer, that doesn't mean the deal should have been approved. The reason is that these companies are using a finite, publicly-owned resource: spectrum. They may license it, but it still belongs to us, so they have to receive approval for a deal like that.

As for Japanese, German, British, and Mexican companies owning wireless networks, what's the problem? I have no belief whatsoever that AT&T will treat me any better than them simply because it's based in this country. And, with any publicly-traded company, nationality is an illusion, since, if it's, say, Japanese, and shareholders in the U.S. end up buying a controlling interest, then it's a U.S. company.

Jovi
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Mount Joy, PA

Jovi to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
At&t had been sitting on the most unused spectrum at the time the Tmo deal was announced. They didn't need more then or now. Hoarding comes to my mind.

»news.cnet.com/8301-30686 ··· 266.html

Rambo76098
join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH

Rambo76098

AT&T's Statements About the Merger were Lies?

Say it isn't so!

Sad part is you know they aren't going to catch hell for it anywhere other than here.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

There was always a way...

It just wasn't the way that AT&T wanted.
AT&T wanted to pwn T-Mobile as well as their spectrum and customers and have 'bragging rights' as #1 and eliminate a competitor.

T-Mobile is now with MetroPCS.
Sprint is now with Softbank

AT&T has more powerful competitors, and Verizon is still kicking their a$$ on new subs.
FrontirCynic
join:2006-10-25
Long Beach, CA

FrontirCynic

Re: There was always a way...

what would Paul Ryan and Ayn Rand say...its a horrible thing when mega corps dont get what they want..!
FrontirCynic

FrontirCynic

oh one other point we forgot...

you users will be paying for this expansion, both thru taxes and your bills. lol gotcha
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Re: oh one other point we forgot...

We pay now. AT&T only made $3.6 billion dollars last quarter (or something like that). Surely they can use some of that very small profit to help fund some of this.
FrontirCynic
Long Beach, CA

FrontirCynic

no that profit all likely got sent to Karl Rove..doh! I think his phone is busy right now with people wanting refunds
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

but those were 'donations' and charitable 'contributions'

Dan Jones
@cmp.com

Dan Jones

Anon

As per the call, which I listened to

They said 99% coverage in the 22-state area they have wired coverage in.
FrontirCynic
Long Beach, CA

FrontirCynic

Re: As per the call, which I listened to

In the city of Los Angeles (0.5 mi away from posh uverse city of Pasadena) ATT tricked us into dropping att dsl to get att uverse. but guess what? No fiber to the node on street so speed is the same as dsl. Lol. I was told to upgrade each streetside box from dsl to fiber is over 130k. So att take some of that cash and give is the damn u verse you said we were getting

In "theory" we already have att LTE (per fake maps) but att got us to buy "fake" 4g phones (hspa "plus") last year
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Less than with T-Mo

It's good, but still less than they could have done with T-Mo.

FastiBook
join:2003-01-08
Newtown, PA

FastiBook

This area......

This area has 4G LTE now. Took a month but it's here now!