dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-09 12:28:48: User in our Rogers forum point out that the Canadian cable company has bumped speeds for most of their usage tiers, but has decided to leave usage caps for those tiers largely the same. ..

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

What are the fees for each tier

What are the monthly fees for each usage tier?

P.S. Karl added monthly fees after I posted this
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

HaHA

I laught so hard when I see these low caps. Then larger overcharge fee's for @home bandwidth.

shortyd999
join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL

shortyd999

BHN

I wish Bright House would increase our speeds . They've only added a new speed tier within the last year (40/5) which is $80 standalone. I have 20/2 which is $60
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Note to complainers

While retail pricing in Canada is abusive, they also regulate and have CLEC-type providers (TPIA) there. I switched my inlaws from Bell which had a 20GB limit (DSL) for $45/month to Teksavvy on the lite 6 Mbps with a 300 GB cap for $30. With the regulation, if the carrier increases the speed the TPIA gets the same benefit, so those people get a boost too. As a note this is Rogers who is the carrier.

When I cancelled the service the Bell guy automagically offered 20->60GB for free for 3 months, and I told them they have to get in the ballpark. They couldn't even come close.

Oh and if you go over 300 GB : 10 CENTS PER GIG. THey also have an unlimited tier....

Also, no modem fees however he had to buy a D3 modem for $100 which is no different than TWC here. That modem has 8 channel bonding so it should last a good 6-8 years.

Also, I think they over-provisioned because I regularly see over 10 Mbps, but no difference.

I think you would have a hard time finding 6Mbps/300GB for $30 in the US for a NORMAL (not promo) rate.

So we complain, but Canada has a more robust competitive model than the US.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Wait, what?

It cost more (4x in this case) to deliver an overage GB at a slower speed than it does to deliver that same overage GB at a higher speed?
elefante72
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Actually it's 40x. At this speed tier (not mentioned in the article) Rogers charges $4 PER GIG over 20GB. So for $100 you would get 35 GB. Even in the higher tiers the Teksavvy overage rate is still 0.10.

So if you assume there is handy profit at 0.10c a gig, that means that Rogers can deliver this at no more than 0.05c a GB, probably less. If you look at the pricing $30-> 300GB that works out to $0.10c/GB. So I believe they build their models around people using a fraction of that 300GB, and that is where the profit sits on top of the bulk rate. But interestingly enough one can figure out what the cost to deliver really is....

The only downside to the 6 Mbps tier is that the upload is 256kbps, which is third world. You can't even stream Skype at SD at this rate. Other than that, they just watch videos, use VOIP, web, email so it is good for them. Eventually they will update that.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25
said by Skippy25:

It cost more (4x in this case) to deliver an overage GB at a slower speed than it does to deliver that same overage GB at a higher speed?

Not that I am in agreement with any of this nonsense, but perhaps it has something to do with capacity expectations? If a subscriber is only expected to use the lowest possible tier of data, Roger's may not have the infrastructure in place to handle the capacity increase, and a greater investment would be required to manage and update the equipment needed for the unexpected overages.

In other words, 5GB is a much greater percentage with the lowest tier, whereas this is not as noticeable to the configurations using the more expensive tiers. If Roger's knows what to expect, they can properly build out the infrastructure to handle the load and appropriately charge for this amount.

I'm sure these pricing schemes are simply a result of greedy corporations with very little competition to worry about with any regulations bought and paid for while schmoozing with policy makers on some exclusive golf course that most of us can't afford to join.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to elefante72

to elefante72

Re: Note to complainers

said by elefante72:

While retail pricing in Canada is abusive, they also regulate and have CLEC-type providers (TPIA) there. I switched my inlaws from Bell which had a 20GB limit (DSL) for $45/month to Teksavvy on the lite 6 Mbps with a 300 GB cap for $30. With the regulation, if the carrier increases the speed the TPIA gets the same benefit, so those people get a boost too. As a note this is Rogers who is the carrier.

When I cancelled the service the Bell guy automagically offered 20->60GB for free for 3 months, and I told them they have to get in the ballpark. They couldn't even come close.

Oh and if you go over 300 GB : 10 CENTS PER GIG. THey also have an unlimited tier....

Also, no modem fees however he had to buy a D3 modem for $100 which is no different than TWC here. That modem has 8 channel bonding so it should last a good 6-8 years.

Also, I think they over-provisioned because I regularly see over 10 Mbps, but no difference.

I think you would have a hard time finding 6Mbps/300GB for $30 in the US for a NORMAL (not promo) rate.

So we complain, but Canada has a more robust competitive model than the US.

blah ....blah ( i have 1600 GB capacity and 5 megabit ) blah ...blah blahhhh
smart people are laughing at you no really we are.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to brianiscool

to brianiscool

Re: HaHA

said by brianiscool:

I laught so hard when I see these low caps. Then larger overcharge fee's for @home bandwidth.

This way, they can get you to that cap more quickly, and start earning overage charges. Using unregulated metering, no less....

Fuck you rogers et al....
elefante72
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to funny0

to funny0

They also have unlimited tiers too, unlike Rogers. So just because you have x capacity does not mean you will use it.

So maybe instead of blathering, you tell people where you get this deal and how much it costs? I'm always open to a better deal.

I have unlimited on FIOS too (50 Mbit), but last time I checked that wasn't up in Canada.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus

hah!

Some users would actually benefit from capping the speed to it's family so they don't eat up all the data allowance faster.

Irony...
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

150/10 is nice...

$122 per month (CAD is on par with USD these days) and 250GB, not so much.

It would be nice if some US companies (ahem, TWC) broke the 50/5 battier sometime in the near future though. I'd stop complaining at 50/10...
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb

Caps

Caps should be set for all speeds at the same rate, to control abuse if they feel they need. A CAP based on speed is stupid, and nothing more than some excuse to change more.
bklass
Premium Member
join:2012-02-06
Canada

bklass to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72

Let's not forget that Ontario and Québec aren't all there is to Canada...

Most of the rest of the country doesn't have nearly as much competition as the Golden Horseshoe area.

In Manitoba, for instance, we only have a choice between MTS and Shaw, and that's only if you live in Winnipeg or Brandon. Living outside of the major cities, it's likely that you have access to only one or at most two WISPs who have to rent their transit from MTS anyway.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

said by bklass:

Let's not forget that Ontario and Québec aren't all there is to Canada...

In Atlantic Canada, fibre-to-the-house is commonly available, uncapped, at symmetric speeds up to 75/75 mbits/sec, for reasonable rates.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

Excellent!