dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-10 10:09:44: Put something interesting into the comment section below. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

3 recommendations

gigahurtz

Premium Member

The elections are over.

We can all get back to what's really important in life - family and friends. Enjoy life and don't sweat the small things too much. Life is far to important and delicate to waste time on politics. God Bless the USA!

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium Member
join:2001-12-16
PRK

4 recommendations

Mactron

Premium Member

Happy Veterans day weekend.

Thank You to all the Veterans that preserved our freedom in the past and every day.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

1 recommendation

diablo18926

said by Mactron:

Thank You to all the Veterans that preserved our freedom in the past and every day.

Yep! Happy Veterans day everyone and have a great weekend..

I'm still awaiting the games on my wanting game list to be released still, its gonna be my last purchases and i wanna make it fun and interesting. I'm totally done with buying games after the ones I get. I judge on exactly what I like to play not some ball running game or something that's no good.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Verizon not going to replace copper damaged by Sandy

It seems that wdoa See Profile was right in asking:
quote:
We all know Verizon wants to ditch their copper plant, might they in some cases use this an excuse to just decide not to fix the landline infrustructure?

From what I am seeing, Verizon has no intention of replacing the copper cables damaged by hurricane Sandy. I have personally been told this by two separate managers and other techs have been told this too. Verizon's 'plan' is to migrate all effected copper customers to FIOS whether they want it or not. I have even heard reports from fellow techs that some customers are not even being informed the work being done is to move them into FIOS. The maintenance crews are still saving what the can but no replacement copper is being hung and the copper repair techs are being told there is no work.

Since the Wednesday after the storm, the company has declared a 'state of emergency' and is forcing the techs to work 12 hr days, 7 days a week. Strangely though, much of the work we are doing has nothing to do with damage from the storm. It makes one wonder if anyone is checking on what they submit to FEMA. FIOS is being repaired and cables replaced where needed... new installs are proceeding like nothing happened. It seems that people are too concerned with electricity and gasoline to think about the phones.

Bottom line is if your POTS line isn't working in another week or so... it probably never will be. Your line will eventually be moved to FIOS... if it is available and when they get to it. You could also cancel your line and just use wireless; your only other option will be the Cable company. Don't know how small businesses are going to feel about that. There will also be T1s effected but I don't know how they are going to handle them.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

KrK

Premium Member

I'm sure they'll roll it into storm expenses!

Probably take a tax write off as well on the "expenses" of "Storm losses" that are actually NOTHING TO DO WITH THE STORM.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer
I think this is a good idea. Why keep a damaged and obsolete copper wire infrastructure when you can replace it with something more reliable?
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

There are a couple of reasons:

- Because FIOS is not available everywhere the copper was damaged

- The regulations are different for FIOS and people should not be forced on to it

- It will take much longer to move people into FIOS as opposed to simply fixing the copper

- In all likelihood, FEMA is giving them money to FIX the copper... not ignore it.

For an area that isn't livable right now and must be completely rebuilt I can see Verizon doing this; there is no reason to put copper into a greenfield area. Where there are people living and businesses trying to open this should be illegal.

lighthouseJ
cheers
join:2005-05-02
Golden, CO

1 recommendation

lighthouseJ

Zombie Attack in China commuter train

well the election is over, and I think with the outcome of the election and decision making. I need to relocate to Colorado for cheaper medication.

Other than that here is a magical video that I ran into
Zombie Attack in China

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· LIlHiFf8

»youtu.be/K9GLIlHiFf8
Expand your moderator at work

skreed
@clearwire-wmx.net

skreed to KrK

Anon

to KrK

Re: Verizon not going to replace copper damaged by Sandy

Those assets are still changed into expenses which doesn't nothing to help Verizon's income statement.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer to lighthouseJ

Premium Member

to lighthouseJ

Re: Zombie Attack in China commuter train

Yes, the Colorado and Washington voter decisions should provide some interesting news in the near future.
Expand your moderator at work

rit56
join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

rit56 to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer

And when the next storm rolls around no service. Copper wired phones have electric backup and people here I know with old landlines still had access to the world.
Vf19aalpha
join:2004-06-11
Oklahoma City, OK

Vf19aalpha

Tech and the visually impaired

Hi, I'm legally blind (i.e. I can see some but not much) and I was wondering if there is ANY cable rf satellite that uses screen reader tech for their boxes. I had to "upgrade" to cox communications whole home system and it's almost useless to me 8(

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

Apple & HTC declare a 10yr ceasefire in their patent war

Apple & HTC declare a 10yr ceasefire in their patent war. Can we expect something similar between Apple & Samsung anytime in our lifetimes?

»techcrunch.com/2012/11/1 ··· awsuits/

Press release from Apple:

HTC and Apple have reached a global settlement that includes the dismissal of all current lawsuits and a ten-year license agreement. The license extends to current and future patents held by both parties. The terms of the settlement are confidential.

“HTC is pleased to have resolved its dispute with Apple, so HTC can focus on innovation instead of litigation,” said Peter Chou, CEO of HTC.

“We are glad to have reached a settlement with HTC,” said Tim Cook, CEO of Apple. “We will continue to stay laser focused on product innovation.”

Is Apple changing? »techcrunch.com/2012/11/1 ··· igation/

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Maybe they are beginning to see the light.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer

said by CXM_Splicer:

- In all likelihood, FEMA is giving them money to FIX the copper... not ignore it.

I think that is insane. Shouldn't Verizon or whoever the local phone company is be expected to have some form of private insurance, or money set aside, to fix these things?

Verizon was a Fortune 10 company the last time I checked. They don't need corporate welfare. If I am expected to save up my own cash or have insurance to cover the costs of catastrophic losses for my stuff, then so should they.

This and every other disaster proves that FEMA is the biggest, saddest joke of a government agency. They literally cannot do anything right, period. Perhaps it IS time to disband it and simply let states and local government have access to these funds so they can do their own disaster preparation instead. Consider how California responds to an earthquake, or how Florida responds to a hurricane. They seem to be far more on top of things than the federal government ever will.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by pnh102:

said by CXM_Splicer:

I think that is insane. Shouldn't Verizon or whoever the local phone company is be expected to have some form of private insurance, or money set aside, to fix these things?

Verizon was a Fortune 10 company the last time I checked. They don't need corporate welfare. If I am expected to save up my own cash or have insurance to cover the costs of catastrophic losses for my stuff, then so should they.

This and every other disaster proves that FEMA is the biggest, saddest joke of a government agency. They literally cannot do anything right, period. Perhaps it IS time to disband it and simply let states and local government have access to these funds so they can do their own disaster preparation instead. Consider how California responds to an earthquake, or how Florida responds to a hurricane. They seem to be far more on top of things than the federal government ever will.

Your attack on FEMA is based on one posters speculation that they're giving money to Verizon. I have found no proof of that anywhere.

cgar2
@myvzw.com

cgar2

Anon

wifi only phone

Why won't anyone make a wifi only smartphone? Google keeps talking about changing the wireless industry by selling phones directly to consumers, this seems like the best way to shake up the status quo. Data plans costs are ridiculously expensive and it is only getting worse with caps.

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

1 recommendation

meeeeeeeeee to FFH5

to FFH5

Anyway... next disaster how would we survive without the Feeble Excuse Making Agency? It's a tough job... but SOMEONE has to do it.
Kommie2 (banned)
join:2003-05-13
united state

Kommie2 (banned)

Armistice Day

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· OIAGofDM

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium Member
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

ARGONAUT

Premium Member

WOW

I'm not saying anything.
Lazlow
join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO

Lazlow to cgar2

to cgar2

Re: wifi only phone

You can use Samsung's media player (or any other android wifi only device with a speaker and microphone) this way. Yep, they got an (several) app for that.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium Member
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

ARGONAUT

Premium Member

Re: WOW

lv66vette
join:2004-07-01
Miami, FL

lv66vette to meeeeeeeeee

to meeeeeeeeee

Go ahead and knock FEMA, until you need it, you will be the first in line.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by lv66vette:

Go ahead and knock FEMA, until you need it, you will be the first in line.

At which point you will be like the poor saps in New Orleans and New York who did not heed the warnings and prepare. Starving and without energy.

We should all simply accept that when (not if) disaster strikes, you will be on your own and no government help will come at all. Plan and prepare accordingly. It is not that hard to do.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next