dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-12 08:04:56: T-Mobile offered slightly more detail on their LTE build last week, noting they hope to cover 200 million people with LTE by the end of 2013, with the upgrades completed sometime in 2014. ..

decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

reach

I think the "reach" number is in fact "reaching" for very optimistic numbers there...

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

Re: reach

Let's see if they can actually pull it off. It would be interesting to see the progress.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

Re: reach

I hope they actually do pull it off.. More lte providers the better! Less they all have the same upper board members! lol

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

200 Million is kind of misleading...

"hope to cover 200 million people with LTE by the end of 2013"

Most people think that cell phones work by technical magic. Most of them think this statement means they can service 200 Million people with their network and or they have 200 Million subscribers.

XANAVirus
Premium Member
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

XANAVirus

Premium Member

Re: 200 Million is kind of misleading...

So, what does the statement truly mean?

The alternative meaning escapes me at the moment.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

that it will be available to 200 million people. a combination of subscribers and non-subscribers.

XANAVirus
Premium Member
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

XANAVirus

Premium Member

Thank you, FBGuy!

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

Most of them think this statement means they can service 200 Million people with their network and or they have 200 Million subscribers.

I think it's just you that thinks that. It's a clear statement.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Great

Too bad T-mobile doesn't cover me... at all.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Re: Great

said by silbaco:

Too bad T-mobile doesn't cover me... at all.

ditto. VZW for the win
kmand
join:2002-05-06
Decatur, GA

kmand

LTE Compatibility?

Will the T-mobile LTE offering work with any of the current LTE phones?

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

Re: LTE Compatibility?

said by kmand:

Probably not. T-Mobile is going direct into LTE-Advanced (true 4G), skipping the lower-ranked LTE being offered by Verizon, AT&T and Sprint.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

Sprint is going to LTE Advanced in 2013.
Ulmo
join:2005-09-22
Aptos, CA

Ulmo to fuziwuzi

to fuziwuzi
said by fuziwuzi:

said by kmand:

Probably not. T-Mobile is going direct into LTE-Advanced (true 4G), skipping the lower-ranked LTE being offered by Verizon, AT&T and Sprint.

It makes sense T-Mobile would utilize a better LTE, since their HSPA+ is often faster than the LTE's provided by Verizon and AT&T, making a switch to their version of LTE somewhat pointless. (I switched from T-Mobile HSPA+ to Verizon LTE due to some shenanigans T-Mobile pulled on me that I wouldn't put up with, and was dismayed to find out that Verizon LTE is much slower than T-Mobile HSPA+ in many circumstances.)
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to kmand

Premium Member

to kmand
TM will be on a unique freq for LTE. SO I don't see anyone elses LTE phones working on TM's network. TM has not yet release an LTE phone.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

Many phones that AT&T sell such as the iphone 5 and galaxy s3 (the two most popular) support HSPA 1900 (because AT&T uses it) and LTE on AWS already (perhaps because Canadian networks use it, and AT&T may use it?). I think that is what Karl means when he says they chose these frequencies to get customers to bring phones.
pnjunction

pnjunction to kmand

Premium Member

to kmand
Yes quite a few.. For example the iphone 5 on AT&T has 700 and AWS as far as i know, same with the galaxy s3. Canadian providers are selling this same model and using the AWS LTE right now, while AT&T uses the 700. AT&T and the Canadian providers also have HSPA on the same frequencies of 850 and 1900.

I think when Karl talks about them using HSPA 1900 and LTE AWS so that people can bring phones from other providers to T-Mobile, he is talking about phones like the iphone 5 and the galaxy s3 sold on AT&T.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

HUGE grain of salt.

They are still GPRS and EDGE here in NW CA, and in many other areas of NorCal and the west. Our area (RSA 344) has LTE now from Verizon and Metro PCS, and soon from U.S. Cellular and AT&T, poor T-Mobile, they are now the last 2G only carrier here in Mendocino County.